Author Topic: Questions and Answers 2:Yoga  (Read 9174 times)

March 31, 2009, 09:23:31 PM
Read 9174 times

Veos

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• View Profile

Questions and Answers II: Yoga

By Fra.Veos

I receive a fairly large amount of PMs and emails everyday from students, friends, and people just needing the occasional answer to a question or a doubt removed from their thoughts.  Most of my messages though come from this community.  For the last 6 months or so I have turned most of my attention with Veritas towards introducing Yoga to its members, and as such the majority of the questions I have received have been about Yoga's technicalities and practice.  I have sorted through 3 months of messages and chosen those I think are the most general questions that people have on a regular basis about yoga.  I have also provided a few experiences that have been sent to me by people having results with their practices.  I receive quite a bit of emails about such experiences, but many of them are either too grand to be easily believed by most readers, or are too personal to be revealed on an online community.  I hope you enjoy.   

**My answers are in bold**

Q: How important is it that red meat be removed from the diet of an aspirant? In my family, red meat is generally eaten at least once a week (though usually no more than three times out of seven) at dinner. It would be somewhat difficult for me to eat a meal separately if it cannot be eaten at all (though ultimately doable). And secondly, what exactly is defined as "red meat"? The definition seems ambiguous as to color of the meat.

Do not eat the meat of the Cow if at all possible. Fish is preferred, and then chicken if not fish. The Cow is a holy animal. Pork is a viable substitute. If you can't avoid it then you can't avoid it. You are not fully in Sadhana, so it will not effect you too negatively.

Q: In Japa, does the god-name necessarily have to match the usual embodiment of God identified and worshiped by the devotee, or can the two differ?

the name is always symbolic of the appearance of the God itself. So yes, the name and deity should match. Om namah shivaya does not have the same effect on Jesus as it does on Shiva due to different levels of Divinity.

Q: Is the amrita nectar which flows down to the throat a physical substance, providing sustenance to the body or is it a more fluid spiritual substance which rejuvenates the energy of the body?

A physical substance that does both.

Q: How much of this amrita can be consumed? Does it run out and replenish over time, or is there a never ending supply for the yogi to use?

They say there is a never-ending supply

Q: Why are there mantras and visualizations held secret and only teachable by a guru? A mantra understand may have causal spheric power built up around it, but how would a visualization be any more effective than another? It seems more subjective

Certain key mantras have special effects on certain key chakras and other astral centers to help stimulate psychic faculties and expansion of consciousness, and they are accompanied by visualizations to help the mantra create the proper vibrations. Since the higher aspects of yoga should only be done under the supervision of a guru, this likewise is the same circumstance. The guru is needed to ensure the proper execution of the technique by the Sadhaka.

Q: Anyway, to get to the point, two days ago I had a rather intense experience during a session of 'japa'. Directly before it I did perhaps four rounds of pranayama, and then proceeded to internally vibrate Aum Namah Śivaya. Within a few breaths I began experiencing quite strong physical sensations (which is not abnormal, but I slipped into this state much quicker than normal). With each breath in it felt like an amazing blood rush to my skull, and a strong magnetic pressure in the brow (which I have experienced during japa, but again, never within the first few breaths). What happened next was strange. My abdomen contracted and began to 'contort' I began to breath in a manner that I never quite have, and my facial muscles began to twitch like currents were moving through it, though it was quite comfortable. In between each breath upon contracting the anus I could feel another intense rush to the head, like my skull was expanding... Now the strange part starts. I had a vision of a cobra standing upright, then turning to face me. Immediately my prostate region began to 'vibrate' with a magnetic feeling and it felt as if a something similar to sexual arousal was taking place (ie, erection). My entire crotch region had felt as if it was buzzing, though being pulled upward at the same time. At this point the mula bhanda felt as if it was pushing a current into my head, an ecstatic head rush of sorts....  I know intense experiences are to be expected, but they are proceeding at a more rapid pace than I expected. Any thoughts on this particular experience would be most appreciated; ie, if it was related to kundalini, or if it was just a normal experience indicative of nothing in particular, etc. Im asking mainly because Im concerned about proceeding into something that could be dangerous without proper guidance

This is a good result of Japa, but too intense for your current stage of development. Also, because you said "vibrate", I doubt you are doing Japa proper (in which Om Namah Shivaya is said at a rate of about one mantra per second), in which case you need to fix your practice to proper Japa, while maintaining the vibration of the name as a second practice if desired. Do more pranayama and less Japa for now. It sounds like it was at least related to Kundalini, and your body will start to become damaged if that is actually the case and you don't proceed according to proper training. 20-30 Sukha Purvaka pranayama a day with moderate diet and Yoga Asanas, with proper Japa and little to no vibration of the name unless done AFTER Japa. Then you should be fine, the NAdis will become clean in a few months and the Kundalini can continue properly along the spine without any negative repercussions. Do some Bhajan (singing and chanting of Divine things) or scripture reading before sleep. Feel free to check in with me whenever you feel the need.

Q: When I have performed Sirvangasana I get an incredible headache, as if the frontal part of my skull is about to crack open. It lasts for about 15 minutes, and gets gradually better and better over the course of those ~15 minutes. I don't actually feel it until I end the Asana, which is when it kicks in and really hurts quite alot. I do it for up to 4-5 minutes at a time. If you have any tips on how to avoid it or any other information which could help me please let me know.

Try lying down for a few minutes first, or perhaps doing a half-sirvangasana (legs folded instead of extended for a while). The headache is due to a rush of blood to the head. This stops happening after enough practice. Don't get up immediately after the Asana either.

Q: what do you think is the best way to go about achieving clairvoyance/spiritual awareness?

Work religiously and devoutly on Steps 1-7 of Bardon's Initiation into Hermetics. It should take about two and a half years. Also observe a great deal of self restraint and moderation, practicing Yama and Niyama (correct action and correct thinking) all of the time to keep the spiritual energies flowing up the spine into the pineal gland. In this way, they will reflect off of the pineal gland into the pituitary body (gland roughly at brow chakra) and allow easier achievement of willful clairvoyance.

Q: Should any of the asanas you mentioned in your article "The Practice of Yoga" not be performed while a female is menstruating?

Most Asanas probably shouldn't be performed while menstruating. At the least, no asanas where you have to stand on your head or lift the lower body up above the upper body. Also, siddhasana should never be practiced by women.

Q: According to Franz Bardon, breathing fast is unhealthy. However, both Khapal Bati and Bastrika are fast breathing pranayama! What should be done? Is fast breathing okay for you?

Yes, regular fast breathing or breathing fast for a long period of time is definitely unhealthy in as much as it can make you pass out or cause irregular blood flow. However Khapal Bhati and Bhastrika are done in short burst as a means of oxygenating the blood, infusing the lungs with new oxygen and getting rid of extra carbon dioxide in the system. It is extremely good for you and invigorates the nervous system and glands which in turn produces better brain activity, reduces problems associated with old age and helps prevent disease.

Q: If you don't mind my asking, what are the spiritual benefits of a vegetarian life?

Vegetables and fruits are considered Sattvic or pure. Meat is considered Rajasic or disturbed. Meat will make it harder to control the mind. Statistically it also leads to disease more often. Spicy things are Rajasic as well and older meat such as in left overs becomes Tamasic and broods laziness. Meat also leads to laziness very often, and can excite the mind towards anger easily. Meat-eaters will argue this, but the simple fact is that if they observed a vegetarian diet for even one week they would see a good change in consciousness and focus. Meat excites the mind and can make it easily unfit for concentration. That is the Yoga reason for not eating meat. the occult version is a little longer and is as follows:

Minerals contain only a dense body and the seed of a soul which is not contained in the dense body. Their etheric, astral and mental bodies are those which are permeated by the Universe. They do not belong to the mineral itself. Plants posses their own dense/physical and etheric body. Seeing as how the astral body and mind are the only seats of "self" in a being, plants are not infused with emotions and experiences or memories in the way that animals are. Animals contain a dense, etheric and astral body. Therein lies the chief problem with eating meat regularly from an occult perspective. when you eat the meat, especially if it has not been drained of all blood to become kosher, you are eating a dense body which has been permeated by emotions while the blood contains parts of the beings ego or self. Thus your own body has to work many times harder to digest meat because aside from the harder physical digestion process, the astral body has to overcome that of the animal and digest its energy as well, which is generally not pure or worth wanting. The higher the level of intelligence in an animal, the worse it is for your astral body to consume it. A fish is consumed rather easily as it has cold blood and thus the ego is actually outside the physical body of a fish and almost completely controlled by a group mind. Warm blooded animals contain the ego within the physical shell, so any warm blooded animal has to be judged according to its intelligence. While there are always exceptions, generally among warm blooded animals chicken would be the first choice and should really be the only choice. Any red meat should be avoided, especially during the early stages of training before the mind becomes fully established in higher consciousness. generally when it comes to meat I advise my students to have just fish, and occasionally chicken if their Will is not strong enough for a vegetarian diet at first.

That being said, the complete disdain of meat is not required for spiritual practice. However the aspirant should use all possible tools available in the first few years of training, and a vegetarian diet is a very powerful tool. The mind is very hard to train. I have some students whose minds are easier to tame and so they do not need to follow such rules as harshly, while I have other students who I demand regular Observance of Silence, Fasts, celibacy, etc...from because they need all possible help they can get in taming the mind. No magick can be done without the mind being tame, and no realization is possible on any permanent level without it.

experience:  I know that it is mentioned in your article, as where as many other sources, that a great many strange experiences can result from pranayama (4 in particular that are indicative of progress).

Early this morning I think I may have had such results. However, the experience was mildly disconcerting and I thought that perhaps you could provide some insight as to whether the experience was indeed "good", or the result of improper practice:

I was performing Sukha Purvaka pranayama with the jalandhara bandha in place and mula bandha during retention of breath. Im not exactly sure as to when, but about 12 rounds in I began to get a "cool" feeling rushing over my upper body, accompanied by a feeling of rapidly 'changing altitute' (perhaps like going up on an elevator, or when you look off a high balcony?). This was immediately followed by semi-violent shakes throughout my body. It began as a slight, rapid tremble and over the course of 1 to 2 rounds became a near violent shake that forced me to stop the pranayama.

Upon opening my eyes there was a particular glow about the room, it seemed quite colorful. The shakes lasted a few more seconds along with the feeling of being elevated. I know that shaking/trembling is mentioned in your article as being a sign of success, but this was accompanied by a rather 'cold' feeling, as opposed to the heat you mention, and the trembling was at a near violent level (as I said, it was not possible to continue with the pranayama at that point).

It was a simple result of Pranayama. It is good. Do not be afraid. Practice consistently twice a day. Try to never do less than 10 in a sitting and 20 in a day. Also, keep the focus on one place only. The brow point OR the tip of nose, not Brow point AND tip of nose. Stick to one point and then you will develop good pranayama and concentration.

Experience: Hello again Veos
First I would like to thank you again for the help you gave me with my diet. It has only been two weeks since I finished my fast and started the diet, but I can already see several improvements(It might be placebo effect of course, after all it's rather early, but still). Combining it with a more disciplined Sadhana, I see my training improving every day. The most radical changes I have experienced is an increasing feeling of bliss during namah japa, greater patience, as well as less desire for food, alcohol and other physical pleasures. Most interesting is the fact that I don't have a problem maintaining a celibacy anymore, whereas before it was hard to do so for any more than three days.
As you can see, many things seems to be changing, which of these things that are connected and which of them I'm only imagining, I don't know. I would just like to tell you that you have been a great help.

Q: What would 5 hours of meditation do for a person, on a consistent daily basis? Aside from pranayama, and other magical activities. I'm speaking purely of focusing upon silence, or Om, or upon the stillness of the spirit. Is it dependent upon the focal point, but then, I would say no, because meditation eventually leads one through the different states of consciousness. Thank you.

There are two types of spiritual exercise: Active and Passive. Active exercises are things like Pranayama, Asana, Mudras, Bandhas, Kriya Yoga, Chakra Meditation, Magickal training, etc. Basically anything involving Will. Passive exercises are things like Bhakti, Meditation on Ajapas like "Soham" and "Hamsa", Meditation on higher things such as the Atman, the Brahman, the deities, Japa etc. These are deeper and allow for strong meditation. Active exercises evolve the consciousness quicker and more effectively, but passive exercises are needed to solidify the new states of consciousness. Thus generally the aspirant should try to have a 3:1 ration of active:passive exercises. If you do 3 hours of active exercises, try to get in one hour of passive contemplative exercises by meditation on still-mindedness, the Self, God, and consciousness itself. There are varying levels of consciousness and each one is a new stage of initiation. Each stage of initiation has 4 degrees. In the first degree the higher state of consciousness is fleeting and only appears temporarily during meditation. In the second stage the higher consciousness stays longer and is more solid. In the 3rd Degree the consciousness is retained during the entire meditation time. In the fourth degree the higher consciousness becomes the new waking state of consciousness for the Adept. He is always in that newly attained state and is thus ready for the next initiation.

Q: Did you have a guru?

Yes. But it is good to follow the writings of Self-Realized Yogis such as Patanjali, Svatmaram, Gorahknath, Sivananda, and the Upanishads written by various Rishis. Such writings will guide you until you can take homage under the guidance of a Guru. I did not have a Guru for a long time in this life, and so much of my training was done by myself. When you are ready for the Guru, then he will show up. He may be incarnate or he may not. Either way he will come.

Q: I've been noticing a sort of split between my consciousness, it's a little hard to explain. It feels like my perception is being split from the world around me into some other type of perception that I can't quite explain. I notice this when doing my thought observation exercise, and the feeling grows and usually stays with me after a practice session. It's like I become more of an observer than a person partaking in life... Eh, that's about the extent to which I can manage to explain. What are your thoughts?

Very good. Cultivate this more so that it stays. It will develop into Vairagya (non-attachment) and will lead to good meditation. It happens after Thought Control because that exercises specifically cultivates this virtue of Vairagya. If you are feeling it then you are experiencing the full effects of the exercises which is very good indeed. Extend this state longer and longer each time until it becomes your waking consciousness.

Q: when is a new soul created? Their cannot always be the same number of souls? And further, is it possible that I could be a new soul? If not, how can I learn more about my past lives?

There is no such thing as a new soul in a human, but there is such a thing as a new human soul. Do you understand? The Law of Evolution is truth, but not so much in the physical worlds as it is in the spiritual. Look around you at the ocean of sand, water, wood, and other particles. These are new souls. In billions of years they will be some form of human (Human is defined esoterically as having a dense body, etheric body, mental body and divine soul fully developed, not defined by physical appearance). The people all around you have been everything from basic minerals to plants to animals and finally as humans. The spirit has to evolve over a process of billions of years. We will never run out of new human souls because lower beings are constantly evolving.

Q: I have a question for you though, which hopefully you don't find too personal. Given all of the advantages of yoga that you listed, and indeed with the culmination of Samadhi after only 15 years as a householder - why have you chosen to follow (and become such an exponent of) Bardon's system?

I teach a particular system which prophecy and I have developed. In it, the student spends the first 3-4 years under our tutelage progressing through a Bardon-based training system to develop the different necessary Siddhis such as clairvoyance, clairaudience, astral projection, etc. We teach basic yoga to cause nadi Sodhana during this time and expand the consciousness. After the 3-4 years of preliminary training the student should possess all of the key magickal faculties to explore the universe. In this way, the siddhis will not tempt him during his real yoga training afterwards because he would have already developed and mastered them. After the 3-4 years preliminary training, we teach the students Kriya Yoga so that they can have self-realization and expand the consciousness. This results in a perfectly balanced human being in perfect harmony with the external universe. I follow the Nath tradition. The Naths teach a system in which the yogi first has to achieve harmony and understanding of the external universe, and then harmonize that with the internal universe. A Yogi can be in full blown Samadhi and not have one psychic power (though that is rare), but it is very rare indeed for a self-realized yogi to have every magickal faculty or even just the essential ones. In this way Prophecy and i encourage our students to reach Self-Realization first and foremost as the main goal, but in the process and afterward they should be exploring the spiritual universe speaking with hundreds of spirits and learning to manipulate Maya. Essentially, Prophecy and i are trying to construct a routine in which if fully pursued, the person becomes a perfectly harmonized human being. You have to understand that what Bardon gives in IIH is little more than traditional Tantra Yoga.

Q: do you see Nadi Sodhana as a prerequisite to doing well in IIH - as you said you have students stay at Step I until they achieve it. Is it not something that happens naturally anyway as one advances through the steps?

It is not a prerequisite for success in Bardon, and it will not occur with IIH by itself. Since I teach a highly integrated system of both magick and yoga, I make it a requirement for my students. You can be the most powerful magician in the world and not have Nadi Sodhana. It has to be specifically achieved with Yoga.

Q: I thought that it was only afterward one has succeeded in stopping his thoughts does he start to reap the benefits? (of Bardon's routine and yoga)

You will never fully stop the thoughts until you enter into Samadhi.

Q: I am trying to begin practising Ahimsa and Mona(silence). What time would you like me to do for Mona?

Sundays are good. Observe mona all day, read scripture and meditate. Eat fruits and vegetables on that day also, with milk and water. No meat, no alcohol, sodas, etc.

Q: What have you used auto-suggestion for? Was it successful?

Auto-suggestion is good, pratyaksha is better. Think of the "block" and then meditate on what is needed to remove it. As far as auto-suggestion goes, it is useful to a point, but is a passive exercise and will not produce the results of a more active exercise like pratyaksha.

Q: Now my question is what chakra's/energies belong to the nose? And what could be the cause if it is closed? My theory is that the energy between the throatchakra and thirdeyechakra is somehow blocked, but; 1) I don't know what the cause could be, and 2) I got totally no experience with chakra's. That's why I'm asking it to you, because you are probably far more experienced in a practical way with this.

The ida nadi runs through the left nostril, and pingala nadi runs through the right nostril. These two Nadis are two of the three most important spiritual channels in the body. When they are open, the prana flows smooth in the spine and peace and harmony ensue. Everyone has either one or the other closed and it alternates throughout the day. You have either 1)physical allergies or problems, or 2)badly blocked ida and pingala. Luckily, the answer to both problems is simple: pranayama. read my Hatha Yoga article and do the Sukha Purvaka Pranayama. start with 10X a day, then build to 40X a day. It will fix everything in a few months. the mind will be much better and the body healthier.

Q: For pranayama during the purvaka/inhalation should I expand my chest or expand my stomach/belly? Then during kumbhaka do I want to hold the expansion (whether it be my chest/shoulders or stomach/belly) and then let it naturally release (go back to normal) on recheka?

With pranayama expand the chest while drawing the stomach in slightly, especially the lower abdomen. If this is done properly while applying mula bandha than a slight udiyana bandha will occur on its own during the Kumbhaka which will make the pranayama very good. do this especially in Sukha Purvaka. Then naturally release the chest during the recheka.

Q: During yoni mudra how do you breathe?

With yoni Mudra release the nostrils for the inhale and exhale, and then close them with the middle fingers during the Kumbhaka.

Q: should I do Mula Bandha during the retention of all of my pranayama exercises? You say not to do the other two bandhas with the other pranayama exercises given, but you say to do them with Ujjayi pranayama, should I have time specifically to do Ujjayi pranamaya with the other bandhas?

Mula Bandha is good for all pranayamas and meditations. It helps still the mind. The other two bandhas can be done with Sukha Purvaka, but not without the guidance of a teacher, so I didn't mention them in the article for sukha purvaka. Do all three with Ujayii and you will have good success. This is called Treya Bandha Ujayi Pranayama.

Q: I also have a problem with my lust is there any meditations i can do to help get that under control?

There is a yogic exercise called Pratyaksha. Contemplate the negative virtue (in this case lust) and all of its harmful effects. Think about times throughout the day when you gave in to it and mentally scold yourself. Now contemplate the opposite virtue (in this case celibacy) and the many great spiritual benefits it provides and how much it will help your training. Then go back and think throughout the day or week about times when you displayed self-control and mentally compliment yourself. This is perhaps the most effective technique of battling vices. In steps 1 and 2 of IIH, Bardon gives a great exercise in the "magical schooling of the spirit" for overcoming vices. Also, you can use autosuggestion by going to sleep each night mentally repeating "I am celibate" or "I have control of my lust". You must say it as though it has already occurred.

Q: I am interested in joining the defence forces(army) as a physical career, and require to know if negative karma would occur should i kill someone? I know it seems obvious but i recall franz bardon killing people in war related circumstances?

Bardon never killed anyone in that incarnation. Do not worry about the Karma. Go do your duty, and do it the best you can. Do Karma Yoga. If you kill someone, or even if you shoot, then you shoot for your country, for your friends, family or for your general. Do not shoot for yourself. then the Karma will be horrible. Do your duty to your country and your Karma will be just fine in the long run. Be the sword in your country's hand and you will be fine. Can a sword have karma for killing? No, it is the wielder. If you believe that what you are doing is just, then keep a righteous mind and god will be with you, even on the battlefield.

Q: Do you think it is important to develop the ability to be focused on the occasion at hand before moving onto Thought discipline, or focusing on one train of thought?

Do not try to recall any particular train of thought or idea. Just passively observe and try to still the mind a little more progressively over time. Thought control is being able go make the mind completely empty or focus completely on any desired thing, but there is preliminary training (which you are doing) to achieve thought control.

Q: How do you hear/listen to the "inner voice" ?

You have to learn how to still the mind first. Then you have to enter into the akasha. From here you can ask the Guardian angel questions concerning different matters and it will usually respond accordingly giving intuitive advice.

Q: I was wondering whether or not you feel that there is a Divine Plan for all life, a method to the madness. More specifically, whether or not you believe that the Divine Prescence shapes the direction of our world, or do humans just do it themselves?

In the words of the ancient Kabbalist Rabbi Shimone, "All is as it should be".

Q: My first question is by uniting with the One am I in fact returning my "self" back to the source and becoming nothing (and everything). Which would explain why some yogi's feel you cannot be liberated while alive. Is that because to become liberated means to not be an individual anymore, but to become the source. But this seems to clash with the ideas that liberated beings can come back to help the world, and help those on the spiritual path.

Do not worry about your identity. This is ignorance (Avidya), because you have not overcome the ego (Ahamkara). You think "will I loose myself and become nothing?". No. The self is like a precious gem which has been covered by dirt. It is always a gem, and will remain a gem but it goes unseen by the eyes of the one who does not know it is there. God is an infinite personality, and can produce an infinite amount of personalities which he contains all within him. You are one of the infinite personalities contained in God, but Maya has covered it with the dirt of Maya, so the dirt must be cleaned away with Yoga. Then you do not loose your Self. You will see that Self Realization is nothing more than becoming the perfection of your personality. Your true personality, the way God made you to be. Since this Self True Personality is actually God, you then become a God-Man.

Q: Is Nadi Sodhana achieved in Bardon's system? And by what means?

Not necessarily, though it may occur in step 9 and 10 as a result of pure meditation. It is best to do pranayama for sukha purvaka as it is a sure way.

Q: Do you think it is possible for meditation to replace sleep, and if so, how would one meditate in order to do so?

Yes, but it requires the ability to actually enter into Dhyana (meditation), in which the consciousness enters the spine and the prana slows its flow. This reduces the rate at which the heart beats as well as the respiratory system. When this is done, the body "shuts down" into a state of deep sleep while the mind is still completely alert. At higher stages, the body enters into a near-death like state. With sleep, most people in a 8 hour night of sleep will only get 3 hours of deep REM sleep. That is the rejuvenation that occurs in sleep, and the other time spent is wasted. In meditation you get the full rejuvenation of sleep with much more benefits. You first have to learn to enter into Dhyana, and then slowly increase the length of time of your night meditations until it starts to replace your sleep. This takes a very long time indeed, but is well worth it.

Q: Can you offer me any suggestions (about starting the spiritual path again)? Should I attempt to work through IIH on my own? Is there another system of learning that I can practice on my own?

Read the commentary on IIH and follow its advice as well as Bardon's words. Read Sivananda's works on Yoga and the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. Most importantly, read the Bhagavad Gita of Lord Krishna and meditate on its teachings. Then you will not err, and will continue along the right path of development until it is time for you to meet your teacher. Practice hard and the universe will notice and work just as hard to see to it that you have a good teacher. Do not give up. Spiritual practice alone is the answer to all questions and the remedy to all sorrow. Why do anything else? Why wait? Do we have tomorrow? Maybe or maybe not, so do now. All that exists is now, this very moment, so use it constructively. The past is gone and the future is an abstract idea. Have courage and you will achieve all things in this very life. I promise.

Q: these past few months I have felt empty and suicidal. i started drinking and it does nothing to soothe me and neither does any other activities, except maybe one(surfing). even then I have this hole I cannot fill. I used to be mentally strong as well, but no longer.

Do Yoga. Follow the instructions in my Yoga treatise starting with Hatha yoga and moving into Raja Yoga. You will develop mental calm and inner peace. There is nothing in this world stronger than Yoga, so act now before you are overcome by your lower desires and emotions. Stop drinking and you will become intoxicated on God, which dissolves all sorrows and heals all wounds. Yoga is the strongest medicine because it cures the physical, astral and spiritual bodies of man simultaneously. What else is there to do in this world? A man who does not practice spiritual discipline is like a man starving to death surrounded by food. More so, it is like a man who lived in a cave and could only see of the world what he could see from his cave. People would tell him how the world was, and he would disagree pointing to things he could see from his cave. Do not have such narrow vision. Be thou a Yogi. You will have liberation in this very life if you start now, so do not wait even 1 minute after reading this. God will be with you.

Q: I have been given written instructions for Kriya Yoga and, of course, would really like to begin practicing them. The written instructions are a large file supposedly containing all of the mail lessons of the Self-Realisation Fellowship, in which I have found the instructions for Kriya Pranayama, Maha Mudra, and Jyoti Mudra as they call it. I also found the instructions on how to perform Kriya Yoga in an Ebook callled Kriya Yoga: Synthesis of a Personal Experience

The lessons will do no harm, nor will the exercises they provide. just keep in mind that you are not reading Yogananda's words and teachings, but those who came after him. The Kriya is more or less correct and will provide good spiritual benefit, but is missing some important minor details. I would recommend the ananda foundation over SRF any day, as Ananda is easily identifiable as a Self-Realized man, and his words are beautifully spoken. he sounds like Yogananda when he talks, while the SRF lessons can be tedious.

Q: What is your opinion on using magic to fulfill personal needs and desires? I rarely use magic to get anything for myself I mainly use it for healing of myself and others and self transformation...Another question is how can you use magic to help others without taking away the experiences they need to grow?

To act without question you should strive to reach a degree of mastery over the Akasha before practically using magic for anything other than practice. In this way, you will be able to know the Karmic bounds of your actions and will be able to act accordingly. Until you can communicate with Divine Providence in this way, it is best to confine you magic to energy accumulations, akasha work, astral travel, meditation, etc...in the confines of your house. Then you will know the Karma and not be caught second guessing yourself. As far as healing goes, it depends on the agent: The Vital force is the easiest and most general agent to use in healing and has little karmic effect. Most sicknesses that aren't the result of life-changing Karma can be healed in this manner without worrying the magician. The Elements are a little more specific than the Vital Force and can heal the more serious ailments easier, but the karma (depending on the sickness) may be a little more effected but usually is not too bad. The Electric and Magnetic fluids are like a fine laser and scalpel for the magician when he performs astral surgery upon a sick patient and are used in extreme cases such as Cancers and Tumors. The Karma is thus quite heavy. The so-called "miraculous healing", which is instant, is done through the Akasha and this being the realm of Karma, the repercussions can be extreme given the intensity of the ailment. Anything at all can be healed instantly in the Akasha, but the magician must check with Divine Providence before acting. Remember that it may very well be that person's Karma for you to heal them.  Akashic healings should be reserved for extreme cases and when you understand the Karma of the situation. Alchemy can heal most things, but because alchemical remedies act upon the physical and astral bodies the Karma is not too bad and so many magicians use these instead.

Experience:  I know that you are busy, however, I have some questions regarding nadi sodhana. I think that I may be getting near to nadi sodhana, but I am not certain. I was hoping you could shed some light on what has been happening to me somewhat recently.

I've been practicing hatha yoga since around September. As of now, I'm spending around two hours daily doing yoga, japa, prana and some thought control. Since about December, my nostrils have become very clear and easy to breathe through. Yesterday, I decided to practice some additional prana around midday. I did the LBPR and started some prana. The experience was more intense than normal and my sweating and trembling was greater than usual. After finishing, I was left in a state of bliss.

Later that night, I was practicing again before bed. I was nearing the end of my prana when I began to feel warmth near the base of my body. I then was feeling strong sexual pleasure. Intrigued by the unusual feeling which has never occurred before, I continued to practice. My trembling increase greatly and I was sweating profusely. However, I eventually grew too tired to continue and so I stopped.

After I got up from practice, I felt very light. I wondered if I had achieved nadi sodhana, but no other signs were present other than a feeling of paper-like lightness.

Since then I have practiced twice more, once at midnight and again this morning. Although the tremors and sweating have greatly increased, the sexual stimulation I felt during last night's prana has not returned. In fact, I was trembling greatly during practice this morning even outside of prana. During my actual poses, I was trembling so badly, I could hardly stay still.

My question is, is nadi sodhana near? What is all of this? I wouldn't normally trouble you, but this is not like anything that has happened before. I am really not sure what to think. Thanks for your time.

Sounds about 1-2 months away from the first stage of Nadi sodhana. when the trembling turns to jumping you will be about 1 month away.

Soham Sivoham Aham Brahma Asmi Mahavakya
Suddha satchitananda purna parabrahma
Chidananda Rupa Sivoham Sivoham

March 31, 2009, 09:45:14 PM
Reply #1

Violet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Your friendly neighborhood Verigeek.
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot Veos, I had some of these questions too.  :)

~Tempestum

April 01, 2009, 12:01:25 AM
Reply #2

Hech

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
It's great to hear so many people having success and experiencing the healing states of bliss.  ^-^

April 01, 2009, 12:56:49 AM
Reply #3

Dazza

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    Rise up and become light!
    • View Profile
I agree, It really is brilliant and very inspiring to read about people making solid progress:)

Thanks Veos!!

April 01, 2009, 07:48:40 AM
Reply #4

Albatross

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Per aspera ad astrum.
    • View Profile
    • Sure of Speech
Thanks very much for the article Veos. Both informative and motivating! There was one statement you made which has raised a question of my own -
Also, keep the focus on one place only. The brow point OR the tip of nose, not Brow point AND tip of nose. Stick to one point and then you will develop good pranayama and concentration.
When I do Pranayama, upon inhale I focus on the breath bringing good qualities in and with the exhale I focus on negative qualities being flushed out. During retention I focus on the brow point. My question is whether I should I just focus on the brow point or breath exclusively, without switching between during retention? Also, concerning the qualities inhaled with the air, should I focus on simple pure/impure energy, or on specific virtues and vices as in Bardon's conscious breathing exercise?
Silence legion, save your poison,
Silence legion, stay out of my way!
-Tool, Jambi

April 04, 2009, 02:04:38 PM
Reply #5

west01

• Settling In

• View Profile
When doing japa at what speed should the mantra be chanted.  I'm always used to a drawn out OM.  Am I to do it 108 x 10 times drawn out?

April 04, 2009, 04:32:39 PM
Reply #6

Entity

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    : : A a U u M m : :
    • View Profile
    • United Psionics Club
: : O m  N a m a h  S h i v a y a : :

April 04, 2009, 09:07:24 PM
Reply #7

Hech

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
West: Japa should be faster. Read the treatise on yoga for more details. During pranava, it should be slower.

April 05, 2009, 02:37:28 AM
Reply #8

Veos

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
Albatross,

There are many different levels of pranayama visualization depending on your progress.  The first visualization is best done with inhaling divinity (or intense purity) as a scorching white light that fills the entire body and burns away the negative energy.  in the inhale you draw in the light, during kumbhaka you should visualize the light burning away the impurities, and with the exhale you breath out the burned residue or ashes of the impurities.  This will cleanse the astral body and prepare it for more specific visualizations later on that focus on the Nadis and the Kundalini.  Don't worry about the brow point right now for pranayama. 
Soham Sivoham Aham Brahma Asmi Mahavakya
Suddha satchitananda purna parabrahma
Chidananda Rupa Sivoham Sivoham

April 05, 2009, 04:13:59 AM
Reply #9

Albatross

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Per aspera ad astrum.
    • View Profile
    • Sure of Speech
Will do. Thanks Veos.
Silence legion, save your poison,
Silence legion, stay out of my way!
-Tool, Jambi

April 06, 2009, 03:08:53 PM
Reply #10

Take A Bow

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    A Student
    • View Profile
Thank you for the insightful answers, Veos. However, I'm still unclear on the exact benefits of attaining Nadi Sodhana. How would this affect progression through Initation into Hermetics?

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 03:20:10 PM by Take A Bow »

April 17, 2009, 11:13:36 AM
Reply #11

talibah

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    You say psycho like it's a bad thing.
    • View Profile

Q: If you don't mind my asking, what are the spiritual benefits of a vegetarian life?

Vegetables and fruits are considered Sattvic or pure. Meat is considered Rajasic or disturbed. Meat will make it harder to control the mind. Statistically it also leads to disease more often. Spicy things are Rajasic as well and older meat such as in left overs becomes Tamasic and broods laziness. Meat also leads to laziness very often, and can excite the mind towards anger easily. Meat-eaters will argue this, but the simple fact is that if they observed a vegetarian diet for even one week they would see a good change in consciousness and focus. Meat excites the mind and can make it easily unfit for concentration. That is the Yoga reason for not eating meat. the occult version is a little longer and is as follows:

Minerals contain only a dense body and the seed of a soul which is not contained in the dense body. Their etheric, astral and mental bodies are those which are permeated by the Universe. They do not belong to the mineral itself. Plants posses their own dense/physical and etheric body. Seeing as how the astral body and mind are the only seats of "self" in a being, plants are not infused with emotions and experiences or memories in the way that animals are. Animals contain a dense, etheric and astral body. Therein lies the chief problem with eating meat regularly from an occult perspective. when you eat the meat, especially if it has not been drained of all blood to become kosher, you are eating a dense body which has been permeated by emotions while the blood contains parts of the beings ego or self. Thus your own body has to work many times harder to digest meat because aside from the harder physical digestion process, the astral body has to overcome that of the animal and digest its energy as well, which is generally not pure or worth wanting. The higher the level of intelligence in an animal, the worse it is for your astral body to consume it. A fish is consumed rather easily as it has cold blood and thus the ego is actually outside the physical body of a fish and almost completely controlled by a group mind. Warm blooded animals contain the ego within the physical shell, so any warm blooded animal has to be judged according to its intelligence. While there are always exceptions, generally among warm blooded animals chicken would be the first choice and should really be the only choice. Any red meat should be avoided, especially during the early stages of training before the mind becomes fully established in higher consciousness. generally when it comes to meat I advise my students to have just fish, and occasionally chicken if their Will is not strong enough for a vegetarian diet at first.

So is eating dairy and eggs akin to eating fish?
Tantra says, forget the god. If you are the animal, understand this animal in it's totality. In that understanding itself, the god will grow...-Osho

April 17, 2009, 01:47:20 PM
Reply #12

Kichara

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Row, Row, Row Your Boat
    • View Profile
    • Check it Out.
Gonna make a guess here and say that eggs and dairy have even less intelligent spirit in them than fish. Considering that neither can behave intelligently to any degree left on their own.
Hey, whats up?

Please vote in my poll:
http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=12212.0

April 17, 2009, 04:07:40 PM
Reply #13

talibah

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    You say psycho like it's a bad thing.
    • View Profile
I was just wondering if a lil something is carried in it since it comes from the animal.
Tantra says, forget the god. If you are the animal, understand this animal in it's totality. In that understanding itself, the god will grow...-Osho

April 17, 2009, 09:34:14 PM
Reply #14

Hech

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Kichara is right in that it most directly relates to the level of consciousness in that which you are eating. According to wikipedia, meat, fish, and egg are all tamasic. Aside from that, I don't like eating any of the aforementioned, and I don't really like any tamasic foods in general. (Though I do of course eat those things at times.) However, I don't see why eating egg is particularly bad at all. Just do your sadhana.