Home
Forums
Chat
Help
Search
Retro
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 01:29:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:

Advanced search
215168 Posts in 15333 Topics by 19774 Members - Latest Member: - Lemon Most online today: 122 - most online ever: 430 (June 28, 2007, 02:58:51 PM)
+  The Veritas Society
|-+  The Auditorium
| |-+  Main Hall
| | |-+  Why do I feel my mind slowly slipping away
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Why do I feel my mind slowly slipping away  (Read 3243 times)
painful retribution
Settling In

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2009, 09:35:20 AM »

A couple of weeeks ago, i had an out of body experience while meditating. since then, i have felt as if my soul is trying to escape my mind and body. i know the soul has no physical connection to the body, but i feel as if my soul, my essence is leaving the constraints of my mind. at any given point, like during the day, i feel as if something is being pulled from my head. i have also noticed that my sanity has been slipping. at first it was so slightly that i paid no mind to what was happeing. now the feelings are becoming so intense that i stop what im doing and have to take a breath. i hear in my mind ranting thoughts about things i never would have thought about before, like i am no longer in control of my soul. the other day i was sitting down doing a simple task and i lost my concious thought ansd began to astral project (at least what i thought was astral projecting) i had to regain control of my conciousness. i really dont have a clue what is happening to me, whether my soul is trancending or what, buts its trying leave my body, i dont want to lose my mind, but i feel as though that is the path my mind is travelling down. id appreciate some advice

I am truth. I am reality. I am infinite.
Aurafire
Posts By Osmosis

Village Idiot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 09:46:38 AM »

This happens sometimes. The problem is either the mind, body, or spirit feels it should split up. In this case, it's most likely the spirit. What you need is to make your body feel more connected to the physical realm. There's two things I could suggest that would help.

1) Whenever you return from a projection, make sure you make it back to your body. Also, meditate briefly on feeling unity and tell yourself that you're in the physical realm now.

2) Exercise just after you enter your body. Seriously! Just briefly, and something that will get your heart rate up.

You're not going insane, it's just that your mind, body, and spirit play tug of war with each other and you have to keep them in line.

Patience is never inherited nor acquired, but only practiced everyday.
Robin
Posts By Osmosis

Your friendly neighborhood Verigeek.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:15:25 AM »

I don't know anything about this 'slipping away'-thing, but if you want to feel more connected to the Physical Realm, I have a suggestion.
Maybe eating/drinking works well too?

~Tempestum
Steve
Posts By Osmosis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 10:48:44 AM »

Try this. Take some time to do a meditation. While you are physically relaxed, make sure your mind is alert.

First, feel out the borders of your mind and become aware of them, then take hold of them mentally, and (forcibly, if you have to) draw them inwards. Rigidly set their limits to where you want them to be (somewhere at or about the skull is a great limit), reinforcing it with energy, strong visualization, strong intent, or whatever terminology or method you work under. Make it kind of like building a house: lay out the main beams, then box in the rest. Reinforce that box a few times over the next few days.

If this works for you, this will possibly/probably limit or slow your metaphysical learning, depending on how you do it, but it's better than going insane >_>

~Steve

Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?
amorfati
A Familiar Feature

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 07:26:21 AM »

You need REM sleep.

This happens to me all of the time, as I have insomnia.

deos enim religuos accipimus, Caesares dedimos.

"If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe." -Soren Kierkegaard.
Cheezee
YRAH!
Posts By Osmosis

Veritas Parlor Magician

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 07:46:28 AM »

You need REM sleep.

This happens to me all of the time, as I have insomnia.

Are you sure its caused by insomnia? Or rather, ignorance.

Hahaha, I lol'd. (Not the best thing to say after posting an article on how to talk to people on a discussion forum <_<)
Another possibility MIGHT be the speed.
Steve
Posts By Osmosis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 09:28:03 AM »

Painful Retribution: Try centering exercises instead of doing the meditative exercises you are doing.

As for everyone else: If you people are going to attack something, stick to attacking the arguments rather than the people.

"Are you sure its caused by insomnia? Or rather, ignorance."
How would ignorance cause the description that the OP is talking about?

"ergo propter hoc. Sure everyone understands those words? Oh no, of course not, because not everyone here" knows how to look it up on google...

"I won't go down to amorfati's niveau."
You're too late. Sethair started it, you continued it, Amorfati responded to it.

"Cheezee, we all know amorfati is talking like a fool when he says "Your stupdity is your problem, not mine""
No, he's actually not. He is quite correct this time.

~Steve

Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?
Robin
Posts By Osmosis

Your friendly neighborhood Verigeek.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 09:41:22 AM »

Nou, laten we dan maar Nederlands gaan praten op deze forums, aangezien je toch alles kunt opzoeken op Google, zou het geen probleem voor iemand moeten zijn om het te verstaan.
*So, let's talk Dutch on these forums then, since you can look everything up on Google, it shouldn't be a problem for everyone to understand it.*

Okay, just joking, Steve, I think you've got a point, sorry.
Amorfati, if I offended you, I'm sorry, I just got kind of frustrated when this thread turned into a flame war, I shouldn't have blamed only you.
(Or I shouldn't have blamed anyone at all.)

Centering, hmm, I should have thought of that.
I think it's something worth trying.  Smiley

~Tempestum
Dea
Veritas Furniture

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 12:26:41 PM »

A couple of weeeks ago, i had an out of body experience while meditating. since then, i have felt as if my soul is trying to escape my mind and body. i know the soul has no physical connection to the body, but i feel as if my soul, my essence is leaving the constraints of my mind. at any given point, like during the day, i feel as if something is being pulled from my head. i have also noticed that my sanity has been slipping. at first it was so slightly that i paid no mind to what was happeing. now the feelings are becoming so intense that i stop what im doing and have to take a breath. i hear in my mind ranting thoughts about things i never would have thought about before, like i am no longer in control of my soul. the other day i was sitting down doing a simple task and i lost my concious thought ansd began to astral project (at least what i thought was astral projecting) i had to regain control of my conciousness. i really dont have a clue what is happening to me, whether my soul is trancending or what, buts its trying leave my body, i dont want to lose my mind, but i feel as though that is the path my mind is travelling down. id appreciate some advice

To get this topic back on track...

I have to ask, is this your first concious out of body experience? If so, that just may be a problem of experiencing something so new that it mentally unnerves you. It happened to me when I first had an out of body experience, I could barely keep in touch with the world around me for a while.

To amorfati: You should know, no offense intended at all, but they are right in one point. Using select words and phrases often in a language that few know, with phrases that even less have even heard of, is rather pompous. I know you don't think everyone here instantly understand whenever you toss in something to use, when in the past you've even used it incorrectly or with personal definition only.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 01:31:02 PM by Dea Kmra » Logged
Tankdown
Posts By Osmosis

Hows my logic?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 07:22:02 PM »

Well I think being on meth may be the cause of your insomnia amorfati. But I'm sure were suppose to be talking about this person rather attack you so I'll leave that as my opinion.

While amorfati has a slight point that you may need more REM sleep. But i should warn you that nightmares can also be caused by to much sleep as well as to little. Also nightmares grow more powerful the more you think about them. Also things that you eat such as to much sugar can cause nightmares. Of course I believe this one is more psychological rather then physical and that you are simply taken this to serious. I know some psychic events may occur during sleep but we must remember that memories and recent thoughts often come out. If something "did" happen it may already be over and your dragging yourself in the dirt.

The body can cause some pretty freaky things to itself without the need of psychic powers. It moves its eyes and muscles during sleep (I have gotten some pretty bad ham strings pulled in my sleep) and can even give out a chemical that makes you feel like your floating. I'm not convinced that this is a special dream but just bad stress.

Your giving this demon of yours to much power. Just don't think about it, if you see it again you should fight back!

Just relax....its sleep not a battle ground.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 07:34:39 PM by Tankdown » Logged

To do, become -Myself
<---Little demon
Aurafire
Posts By Osmosis

Village Idiot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 12:47:32 PM »

Well I think being on meth may be the cause of your insomnia amorfati. But I'm sure were suppose to be talking about this person rather attack you so I'll leave that as my opinion.

While amorfati has a slight point that you may need more REM sleep. But i should warn you that nightmares can also be caused by to much sleep as well as to little.

Or it could be that insomnia directly relates to a loss of sleep. You do temporarily begin losing your sanity as a result. If you went without sleep for several days, you'd start hallucinating. Everyone is entitled to their input. Don't carry grudges from previous posts. If anyone else posted those exact words that amorfati did, there wouldn't have been a problem. I will conclude this post with a classic quote from Voltaire. "I don't agree with a word you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it"

Camer222
Veritas Furniture

She is the white moon among the stars

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 04:38:56 PM »

sleeplessness: Try Valerian capsules, meditating before sleep, a tea of Melissa, passion flower, mugwort and Valerian.

"We are all wanderers on this earth. Our hearts are full of wonder, and our souls are deep with dreams"

There are many paths to enlightenment. Be sure to take the one with a heart.
  Lao Tzu
MightyFalcon
Frequent poster
Veritas Furniture

Point of Light Across Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 03:40:23 PM »

You can also take a 5mg melatonin supplement before bed. I used to go commando on my walls while asleep. Haven't replaced a board of drywall since

Unique are we humans in that we are the only species to know waste ~Me
Aurafire
Posts By Osmosis

Village Idiot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 03:41:33 AM »

Keep the lights out. Melatonin will naturally respond to light and dark. For teenagers, melatonin doesn't kick in during the darkness until later into exposure than adult. Supplementing should help. Now, MF, I'm not sure how going commando comes into play here. Wink Which brings me to my next point. Although a very unconventional method, I find that sleeping next to a girl helps me fall asleep.

Cogito
Veritas Furniture
Veritas Furniture

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 12:30:09 PM »

OP: If nothing works meditation-wise, or you can't keep to it, do reasearch on disassociative disorders. Maybe there's other practical advice on psychology/psychiatry sites.

Sleep: Get drunk, or smoke a lot hash. Or both. Even benzodiazepines didn't help me during my worst insomnia period. Or, eat heavy food that slows you down and crash right into bed.

Of course, those are last resorts, the long-term effects of insomnia are far worse to health and sanity than what I mentioned......

"Proper" advice: Make sure you're comfortable in bed and get pain issues checked out. If your room is a mess, clean it up, it makes a difference. Eat healthy and keep yourself busy. If you can't fall asleep at a specific time, wake up at one, and hope it helps force a form of sleeping schedule.

Also, Tempestum: Waarom ga je er van uit dat niemand hier Nederlands kan begrijpen?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: