Author Topic: Sleep Disorders and Dreaming  (Read 1433 times)

February 14, 2009, 09:12:00 PM
Read 1433 times

Canchero

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
I am planning on going to a sleep doctor to discuss a problem I have always had regarding sleep.  In a nutshell, I sleep terribly, not deep enough, and based on the limited research I've done online, I *may* have narcolepsy (or another sleep disorder) because I start dreaming immediately upon falling asleep (whereas the sound individual will usually wait an hour or so before entering REM).

One of the benefits, though, I've read, of a sleep disorder is vivid dreaming.  As a practitioner of magick and as someone who records his dreams (and would like to do lucid dreaming), I value my vivid dreams and I just want to be sure that by seeking help for my sleep problems (and if they give me any medication), I will not be impeding any mental/spiritual progress.  I would hope that any treatment wouldn't affect my ability to dream or remember my dreams or dream vividly.

If anyone has any experience with this, any info would be helpful.

thanks!
Id rather be a slave on earth for another man, some dirt-poor tenant farmer who scrapes to keep alive, than rule down here over all the breathless dead.
-Achilles (The Odyssey, Book 11).

February 15, 2009, 04:04:02 AM
Reply #1

sousuke_sagura

• Settling In

• View Profile
I would think that if you did have a sleep disorder and received medication for it you shouldn't have too much trouble with those things.  Because even if it changes a bit, and you arent dreaming as vividly it wont eliminate your capability of having vivid dreams and remembering.  I used to have very vivid dreams and remember them all, lately i can barely remember anything of what i dream.  But im sure you could focus on developing those skills and having those types of dreams and remember them.

Remember that the important thing is that you are healthy, if you have a sleep disorder then do what you need to do for it.  After that is settled then focus back in on the dreams.  If you go into REM immediately then sleeping the same amount of time as another individual would result in more REM on your part, which may not be as health.  But if you sleep less because of it, your body isnt doing the other things as much as it needs to.  A lot of restorative processes and healing is done during sleep.  So just listen to the sleep doctor and get everything under control first, that should be your main concern.  Your dreams will always be there, dont worry.

February 15, 2009, 04:55:22 AM
Reply #2

Big Boss

• Posts By Osmosis

• Friggen Crazy

• Personal Text
    Owner of 100000 V-Points
    • View Profile
    • I'm a trendy blogger now.
I was recently diagnosed with Narcolepsy. All I know is that taking Provigil has not interfered with my dreams at all. It is a stimulant I take when I wake up, and has worn off by the time I go to bed. My dreams are just as normal as usual. As far as I know, there are not very many common medications that are prescribed for your sleep. Most are used to keep you awake.

Now, Lunesta and Ambien, on the other hand, have some crazy sleep side effects.
Join my Folding@Home team and do some good! #159490

Details at http://folding.stanford.edu/