Home
Forums
Chat
Help
Search
Retro
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 01:23:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:

Advanced search
216237 Posts in 15395 Topics by 19902 Members - Latest Member: - BoneyThorn Most online today: 98 - most online ever: 430 (June 28, 2007, 02:58:51 PM)
+  The Veritas Society
|-+  Discussion Areas
| |-+  Psionics
| | |-+  Creaking noises while meditating
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Creaking noises while meditating  (Read 4495 times)
sentient
A Familiar Feature

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2008, 07:58:05 PM »

I find that while I mediate, there are creaking noises all around me. The creaking doesn't happen while I'm not meditating, even while it's dark out (so the temperature drop isn't causing the creaking). It also only seems to happen while I'm meditating, so, if I snap out of the state, then the creaking stops.

It usually sounds like a popping noise coming from the walls, it's never nearby. It also doesn't happen over a long period of time, just short bursts where I hear one or two popping noises.

What could this be? Has anyone else ever experienced this?
Svatejasaa
Veritas Teacher
Veritas Furniture

formerly Mindwarp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 08:01:12 PM »

You know, this happened to me all the time when I first started meditating at my old house. The cracking noise would, to the best of my knowledge, only be there when I tried meditating. I know exactly what you mean. It hasn't happened to me in the past few places I have lived, however (it's been a few years now). I'm not really sure what it is either.

Saer
Veritas Furniture

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 12:09:55 AM »

I've noticed it as well, but I also noticed that when I wasn't meditating, I wasn't paying attention to the things going on around me as much. As I sat down to meditate, the changes in the light behind my eyes were noticed, the footstep upstairs bothered me and the sound outside my door, which was always there, caused mental distractions. It could just be that you are quieting your mind more, and so you notice it more often.

As you love your own body, so regard everyone as equal to your own body. When the Supreme Experience supervenes, everyone's service is revealed as one's own service. Call it a bird, an insect, an animal or a man, call it by any name you please, one serves one's own Self in every one of them. ~ Ma
Cheezee
YRAH!
Posts By Osmosis

Veritas Parlor Magician

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 01:41:38 AM »

If your house is creaking around you, especially in the evening, it might be because it cools down / heats up, and the material stretches out. This can lead to creaking sounds.
ChezNips
Veritas Teacher
Teacher Emeritus
Posts By Osmosis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 05:36:18 AM »

I think as Saer was implying, in meditation, youa re in a state of much heightened awareness and just notice it more because everything else is blocked out.  I know the slightest sound when I am meditating can sometimes seem to make me jump violently.  Not that I actually jump but that the slightest sound is heightened.

some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.
Entity
Veritas Furniture

: : A a U u M m : :

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 09:58:39 AM »

If your house is creaking around you, especially in the evening, it might be because it cools down / heats up, and the material stretches out. This can lead to creaking sounds.

He already clarified that it probably was not this.

Maybe you have some gnomes watching you. Apparently spiritual work can attract all sorts of things.

: : O m  N a m a h  S h i v a y a : :
sentient
A Familiar Feature

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 05:22:47 PM »

I think as Saer was implying, in meditation, youa re in a state of much heightened awareness and just notice it more because everything else is blocked out.  I know the slightest sound when I am meditating can sometimes seem to make me jump violently.  Not that I actually jump but that the slightest sound is heightened.

I suppose that is possible, but I'm pretty confident that I'd be able to hear it, even while not meditating. The noise is quite loud.
You know, this happened to me all the time when I first started meditating at my old house. The cracking noise would, to the best of my knowledge, only be there when I tried meditating. I know exactly what you mean. It hasn't happened to me in the past few places I have lived, however (it's been a few years now). I'm not really sure what it is either.

Yup, my house is about 100 years old surprisingly, so that would make sense.

Also, since it is during the evening, nobody is awake, so it's not the movements that are causing it either.
kobok
Veritas Council
Tech Team
Posts By Osmosis

Veritas Council

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 05:35:33 PM »

Have a microphone?  Try recording it.  To list out all the plausible explanations, it is either a creaking in the house, a popping in your ears, or an auditory hallucination.  If it shows up in the recording, it is a creaking in the house.  If it does not, it is one of the second two.  Then, to extend the analysis, record an hour before meditating, the hour of meditating, and an hour after meditating.  Then later play back this sound, or look for spikes in a visual representation of the sound file, and see if the noise rate/intensity really does change during the time you are meditating.

If you do this, let us know the results.

Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.
sentient
A Familiar Feature

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 06:28:03 PM »

Have a microphone?  Try recording it.  To list out all the plausible explanations, it is either a creaking in the house, a popping in your ears, or an auditory hallucination.  If it shows up in the recording, it is a creaking in the house.  If it does not, it is one of the second two.  Then, to extend the analysis, record an hour before meditating, the hour of meditating, and an hour after meditating.  Then later play back this sound, or look for spikes in a visual representation of the sound file, and see if the noise rate/intensity really does change during the time you are meditating.

If you do this, let us know the results.

I'll try that for sure. I'll just have to decide on a bitrate that's reasonable, and then record. Hopefully my laptop will be quiet enough.
Steve
Posts By Osmosis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 07:12:33 PM »

There are a few different possibilities, but the problem is that they are distracting you. Ignore them instead and continue meditating.

~Steve

Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?
taaraka
Veritas Furniture

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 07:45:23 PM »

There are a few different possibilities, but the problem is that they are distracting you. Ignore them instead and continue meditating.

I agree with Steve and most above. When you meditate there is definitely a heightened state of awareness. The smallest noises can actually become acute, sometimes to the point of it (as ChezNips stated) makes you jump or it kind of rolls through you like a small electrical shock (without pain). It is because your body and mind are so calm, any outside interference is elevated. When we are in a normal conscious state this interference is not noticed because the body is tuned to it.

Think you should try the recording, the results might be really interesting...

or it could be gnomes  >_<

Zake
Veritas Staff
Veritas Moderator
Posts By Osmosis

Veritas Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 11:57:33 PM »

Did you know, crickets chirp all day?  But you never hear them, because the world is just that much noisier during the daytime (at least, usually), even in circumstances where it seems silent.  Try listening sometime.

Similarly, try just stopping in your house, at some quiet moment, and listening really hard.  Even without meditation or a "heightened state of awareness," you'll probably notice those noises.  Its surprising, often enough, how little attention we give to the details of our environments.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.
Demon of flame
A Veritas Regular

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 02:25:45 PM »

OK i don't know about you'll but i noticed that the television actually cracks alot during the day or night(also the roof) but i know what you mean but this doesn't happen to me while meditation it actually happens all the time so i decided to do an experiment i would not practise psi for a day and the funny thing was it happened less for me than when i practised psi but thats just my owe experience.the thing that is weird is while i wasn't practising psi i would ly in bed and would try to hear for the cracks but there were hardly any(maybe 1 or 2 every 5 to 10 mintues),but when i try to obe i would hear the cracks and about 20 every 10 or 15 minutes.so is there any explanation for these cracks?

demon of flame  angry

"the answer is the question itself"
sentient
A Familiar Feature

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 03:30:36 PM »

I'm going to try and get to recording it tonight. Once while I'm out of the room, and then when I'm in the room meditating. I just need to hunt down my microphone...
disciple of the ages
Settling In

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 06:35:26 PM »

I too have noticed this and like you I am extremely distracted by it. I learned to put on a cd of celtic music or other soothing sounds to help drown out any anomalous or distracting sounds. When I meditate I often feel like something is watching me, which is also very distracting and annoying. Sometimes it feels good, like it is something...familiar. But other times I just feel alarmed by it. Has anyone experienced this?  Have you tried using aids, such as music, incense, or other soothing techniques?

If you're passing by, feel free to give me a click every so often!

A wise man speaks because he has something to say, a fool, because he must say something. ~ Plato
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: