Author Topic: Past, Present, Future Meditation  (Read 19179 times)

November 22, 2008, 01:11:09 PM
Read 19179 times

Kettle

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
I’ve set a bit of a new goal for myself as of recent, that goal being to take a more active role in producing and spreading useful information related to Psionics. The following meditation/practice I’ve found of great use to me.

Past, Present, Future Meditation

Introduction

As Psions we constantly strive to better understand ourselves as a soul. This meditation seeks to reduce the physical awareness to the point at which we are only aware of our soul. This can be done by, and is useful to, anyone at any skill level.

Understanding this meditation

We, as souls, are neither matter, energy, or concept. Our bodies and the world around us are however very much matter, energy, and concept. The important thing to understand is that because we, as souls, have no physical component we are in no way linked or connected to the physical domain. There is no bridge between the soul and the body. What there is though is a conscious decision by the soul to be and stay aware of the body. This decision, this choice, has gone on for a very long time (our entire lives) and therefore we have grown quite accustomed to it.

This meditation seeks to become aware of this choice and then actively choose when and how to use it.

Method

The following is the method I find works best for me, it is of course open to change as the practitioner sees fit.

This method involves three steps; We first rid ourselves of our associations with the past, then we discontinue our awareness of the present, and last we discontinue our belief in the future.

Step 1: The Past

The past is not something that is happening now, you cannot go back to it because it is not a destination. In the conceptual domain the past is stored as information, in the brain it is stored as memory, but neither of these things are occurring currently in the physical domain.

To disassociate ourselves with the past we come to understand that we are not the past, we are only what we are here and now, perfectly in the moment, and nothing more. Allow your awareness to focus completely on the present, with no thought of the past.

Step 2: The Present

Having come to understand that we can only be what we are at the moment we now must turn our attention away from the physical world around us. To do this we must understand that we are in no way connected to the physical domain and that our awareness of it is by choice alone. To do this we must only decide to no longer be aware of the physical world (as it was always our decision in the first place).

It is suggested that you work from the “outside in” with this practice. For instance, start by deciding to no longer be aware of the room or setting around you, then your body, then your brain. Allow your awareness to be focused only on what you are as a soul.

Step 3: The Future

The third step is to dissolve our belief in a future. In this step we must come to understand that time is something only relevant to the physical domain. The soul interprets time however it is not effected by it as the soul is a non-physical thing and does not age.

When we reject the belief in the future, our awareness of the present, and our connection to the past we are only absolutely what we are, a singular awareness with no form. If you are able to achieve this you may then turn you attention and expectation to better understanding what it is you really are.

Problems in Practice

By habit alone you will return focus to the physical world and your body. When this happens simply repeat the steps as necessary. Likewise, if at any time any imagery “pops into your mind” know that it is of the physical world, dismiss it and repeat the steps.

-k
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:10:34 AM by kobok »

November 22, 2008, 02:23:20 PM
Reply #1

`Nazukarr

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Thanks for writing this. Very interesting. :)
“I am not this hair, I am not this skin, I am the soul that lives within.”

November 23, 2008, 04:18:39 PM
Reply #2

freefallingdot

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    The Knight of Swords
    • View Profile
Quite useful and needed.
Boldly, I bow to the banished, bend knee to the broken, and break bread with the bereaved.  Behold the breath-taking beauty of brutality, of quick and permanent change, breaking the lines built to seperate polarities.  Brashly blending that which can't be bent.

November 23, 2008, 06:28:34 PM
Reply #3

sentient

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
Good stuff, cleared up some things for me.

November 23, 2008, 08:15:19 PM
Reply #4

Kettle

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
Glad to hear it guys.

-k

November 24, 2008, 04:20:06 PM
Reply #5

LaVelle

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    If I don't find the truth, then who will?
    • View Profile
I have a question, is this refering to focal meditation. For example, when someone should meditate do this steps as they meditate?
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it.

November 25, 2008, 08:26:53 PM
Reply #6

Kettle

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
I have a question, is this refering to focal meditation. For example, when someone should meditate do this steps as they meditate?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here, but the Focal Meditation and the Past Present Future [PPF] meditation are different meditations. They are both meditations that seek to reduce outside stimulus and help understand what the soul actually is, but the former uses the physical whereas the latter outrightly ignores it.

You could however say that the PPF meditation is a form of focal meditation though, as the focus is the soul, and the focal meditation could be applied in this way if you were willing.

If you're asking if elements of the other can be used while practicing one of them then yes there are some parts that you may find work best in both meditations. I had written the above meditation with the expectation that the practitioner had at least some skill with focal meditation (if not experience with other skills as well).

-k

November 29, 2008, 05:24:20 PM
Reply #7

Tankdown

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Hows my logic?
    • View Profile
I'm sorry I just don't see the glory of this. You jump to what the soul was based only on belief and then decribe how not planning is good for you. I understand living in the present but its unwise not to consider the conquences of ones actions. The past is the reminder of ones sins and mistakes so it must be taken seriousily to some level. To live in the presesnt is a smart idea since that is where you are but its a good idea to lest consider the problems in the future.

You define the soul with no backup at all and gave the conclusion based on it. Once again another article I don't like. :(
To do, become -Myself
<---Little demon

November 29, 2008, 05:51:55 PM
Reply #8

sentient

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
I'm sorry I just don't see the glory of this. You jump to what the soul was based only on belief and then decribe how not planning is good for you. I understand living in the present but its unwise not to consider the conquences of ones actions. The past is the reminder of ones sins and mistakes so it must be taken seriousily to some level. To live in the presesnt is a smart idea since that is where you are but its a good idea to lest consider the problems in the future.

You define the soul with no backup at all and gave the conclusion based on it. Once again another article I don't like. :(

I don't think you get the idea behind it. It's not that you're supposed to forget about what happened in the past, or plan for the future, but rather disregard it while meditating.

November 29, 2008, 06:27:06 PM
Reply #9

Tankdown

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Hows my logic?
    • View Profile
.....according to your definition of mediation that should have gone without saying.
To do, become -Myself
<---Little demon

November 29, 2008, 09:40:35 PM
Reply #10

Kettle

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile

Are you referring to just the 'past present future meditation' article or the 'all things involved' article as well?

-k

November 29, 2008, 11:11:04 PM
Reply #11

Tankdown

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Hows my logic?
    • View Profile
Nevermind, its just the concept that bothered me.
To do, become -Myself
<---Little demon

December 02, 2008, 09:17:15 PM
Reply #12

Rawiri

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Wandering Nomad

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
A good article Kettle, thanks for the addition. It would definitely be valuable to the community if you spread some of your gems every now and again.

I generally achieved some semblance of what you are saying, particular before certain things by repeating to myself the feeling of: "I am dead, nothing that happened is important now" etc. However, your article seems to go much better into this idea than my thought processes had so far and I suspect will bring deeper and more readily called upon results. So thank you.

December 04, 2008, 03:39:41 AM
Reply #13

Kettle

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
I generally achieved some semblance of what you are saying, particular before certain things by repeating to myself the feeling of: "I am dead, nothing that happened is important now" etc. However, your article seems to go much better into this idea than my thought processes had so far and I suspect will bring deeper and more readily called upon results. So thank you.

You are welcome. I'm glad you found it useful.

-k

February 01, 2009, 09:29:57 PM
Reply #14

amorfati

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
This is very Kantian in theory.
deos enim religuos accipimus, Caesares dedimos.

"If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe." -Soren Kierkegaard.