Author Topic: Input on a recurring character in dreams  (Read 5225 times)

November 06, 2008, 12:31:40 AM
Read 5225 times

Ghost Coins

• View Profile
I do not, to the best of my recollection, have recurring dreams, but I am keenly aware of a character that is present in a few.  The problem arises from the fact that I have attributed her 'arrival' in dreams as a very strong indicator that my world is about to get tossed about like a Frisbee on a college campus.

The basics are as follows: Her name is Maya (I do not know why, but it is all I have ever called her).  Blond until recently, late teens to mid 20's (keeping in step with my age I would imagine). other descriptive elements will be explained below.

The first time I 'met' her in a dream she handed me a real life number that I have since lost.  It went to a residence in New Hampshire but I was too freaked out by it being an actual number to actually call.  I was 16 at the time.

The second time I was 19.  I dreamed that she walked into my dorm room while I was working on the computer, we hugged and kissed like a couple, but she was carrying a piece of luggage, a blue travel bag that I still own.  After I woke up I realized that I had never seen her face, or could not recall it.  A week after the dream, my parents pulled my financial aid, and I was forced to leave school (nothing in particular, just a bad first semester and they thought I would do better with some 'real world experience').

The third time and fourth time I saw her were in similar settings: ash grey desert, crusty sand that crackled under foot, stormclouds off in the distance but no real rain or lightning to speak of, and torched splinters that I assumed were trees poking out of the sandy waste at random intervals.  I would clear dunes, and see a young, blond woman dressed in, as stupid as this sounds, a fantasy Arabic belly dancer's outfit.  She was standing just the next dune over, and I would haul my tail, and the absurd amount of plate armor I was wearing (even my subconscious should know plate + sand is bad news) up the next dune to find her even further away then before.  The fourth time, I finally caught up to her, and noticed that she had crystal blue eyes, but I could not see the rest of her face.

The third time happened several days before I decided to go see a therapist for stress related issues involving a military school I was attending.  After talking to the shrink, I was removed from the program and basically tossed into the fleet as a general minion. I was 20.

The fourth time occurred during a Christmas trip home in 2002.  A week and a half later, I returned to my command to find out that they had cancelled the second Christmas leave, and that the ship was heading for the Persian Gulf for the ever so popular "shock and awe" campaign that opened the second Persian Gulf War.  I was 22.

The fifth time I ran into her, we were in a very odd/modern looking house that rested on the edge of a cliff.  I was 'introduced' to her family that reminded me of the Addams'.  We scampered down to one of the basements for a little hankie pankey and I was informed there were nine basements that stretched down the length of the cliff face.  We headed down to basement three, it was frigid, there were dogs that calmed when she walked by, but wanted to take my head off at a moment's notice.  lastly, when things started getting interesting, she basically melted into a wall leaving me with my pants down.  Two days later, i found out my request for a transfer to an intelligence rating had been shot down...for the second time.  I was 25 then.

The latest event actually hit me as a waking dream.  I was reading some election results and the normal nonsense that comes across on ultra-right blogs, then an image of her took over pretty much every sense in my head.  I was standing inside a house, a flight of stairs to my left, and I was looking towards the front door at the base of those stairs (white trim, robin's egg blue wall coloring, furniture around appeared to be dark, heavy woods).  She stood by the door (which was wide open and only let in a soft, white light) dressed in jeans, some black pumps, a black and white top that looked like a sheer fabric with a print of interlocking "c" figures on it.  Her hair had been cut short, and dyed a very bright orange/red with streaks of violet/purple running through it, and she had put it up in two small tails (like those little ponytails girls put their hair in when they don't have enough to braid).  A bracelet on each wrist, and two rings, one on each ring finger.  She looked like she had just walked in, leaning against the door frame, and smiled at me.  This caught me off guard because I finally saw her entire face and, for the life of me, I cannot say I know anyone that looks like her.  Sadly, poof back into reality a few seconds later.  I am now 28.

So, now I am freaking terrified of what is to come.  Life is rough right now, college is in the dumps, general sense of hopelessness has set in regarding the potential for me to actually graduate, and future dream jobs are beginning to look like oh so much ash on the wind.  Considering that she shows up right before all hell breaks loose (something I have come to accept as "change" rather than a traumatic loss on my part) her visit is being viewed with trepidation, and a healthy dose of curiosity.  Any words of wisdom?
I want to say that this is a potential coping mechanism for me to handle high stress issues (or even mild depression), but I get the nagging feeling there is more to it.  I include my age to give a general progression of time, and I apologize if it is a rather obtuse way to convey time, but I hope that the time frame, and focus of life might have some impact on the relevance of the messages.

November 07, 2008, 09:07:33 PM
Reply #1

theforcefightswithme

• Settling In

• View Profile
Sounds...interesting to say the least.  I have had people in my dreams that i didn't know but never anything more then just "fillers", but this does not mean your case is insignificant. The only advice i have is, and i know you've seen tough times, just forget about it and don't associate her with anything. Thats the best I can do, but i can recommend "The Jacket" he's very good with dreams.
The darkness is absolved by light.
But every light brings forth shadows...

January 12, 2009, 09:52:19 AM
Reply #2

mataharitengahmalam

• View Profile
it's interesting.. sorry i just found this forum i hope it never too late to leave a comment on this..

I also have recurring character in my dreams and as you did, I often found him in as part of a house with me, he's my current boyfriend.. he's been in my dreams in numerous scenes even at times while we were out of sight, don't know why it never happen before in my life..what happens to me every time he appear the dreams always contain a tangible messages to my waking life mostly precognitive, through patterns I recognized, i now start to believe that he's my spiritual partner.. if I were you I'd never disregard it, it must be mean something of why this character keep reappear in your dreams..

September 05, 2011, 11:16:39 AM
Reply #3

korialstasz

• View Profile
Hi, I know this is a rather old post now but if you are still questioning then I would highly recommend you read the works of Carl Jung. You may wish to start with Joseph Campbell, who is one of Jung's most prominent contemporaries (he died in 1987).

Essentially Jung believes that the human Psyche, or "Self," the theoretical fully-integrated human consciousness, consists of two parts, the conscious and the unconscious.

The unconscious is where our dreams come from. It expresses itself to us through the use of archetypes and symbols. In many older religions and artistry the unconscious is depicted as the Ocean.
The conscious is the "I", that which we identify as ourself. It can alternatively be called the "Ego" or "Persona": the collection of beliefs, predispositions, and biases that make up what we define to be "me."

Through his own experience of "active imagination" (a period of his life during which he would have dream-like experiences such as the one you described while you were awake) he identified some of the major archetypes which exist in the "collective unconscious" (the collection of symbols and archetypes which are common to all humans).

The Shadow is that which is the opposite of one's ego. All the things which the ego fears or rejects are encompassed by the Shadow. This is the source of nightmares. Unless one can come to terms with their Shadow, and accept it and integrate it in to themselves, then it will always plague them.
The Anima/Animus is a person's soul: it manifests as the opposite of a person's gender, and in your case I would most definitely say that Maya is the representation of your anima. Developing a relationship with one's soul was described by Jung as a very difficult but incredibly rewarding process. As time goes on, the archetypes and symbols that the unconscious uses to represent the soul can change, and at its ultimate level (which Jung named Sophia, after the Greek word for Wisdom) cannot be contained by any one symbol or image.

that's just a brief overview, I would recommend reading his work to understand more clearly. There are some very interesting points in your story, however, which I would like to look at. Of course I am no expert in dream interpretation and am merely guessing here based on what I know and believe.

In your earlier encounters you see Maya and interact with her as a young lover might (possibly including the fact that she appeared in a belly dancer's outfit). This is certainly appropriate to your age at the time, and changes as your relationship with her develops.

In the first dream, she gives you a phone number. She invites you to contact her, and to interact with her.

In the second, she has a piece of luggage which belongs to you. I would not interpret this as her leaving, rather as a mutual leaving (after all, you are essentially the same). This seems to match up with events which happened soon after.

In the third, you are in a wasteland with a storm on the horizon. This could be symbolic of your life at the time, trouble is brewing on the horizon but is not upon you yet. You are weighed down by heavy armor and are walking through sand. The armor could represent psychological armor that you are protecting yourself with, from whom I do not know. However this armor is not suitable to your current situation, you must be free and nimble, flexible to be able to traverse the terrain. Each time you try to reach Maya, she seems further and further away. Distance, however, is an illusion that your mind creates. She is never really apart from you, it is your armor that separates you.

In the fourth, the setting is the same, however you finally catch up with your soul, and you see her eyes (crystal blue, no less, like the ocean). The eyes, classically, are the windows to one's soul.

In the fifth, you meet her "family," other archetypes and symbols from the unconscious. They all live together in one big house, which is above the ground. The house, I would say, represents your conscious self. The basement is your unconscious. It stretches down, down, down, all the way to the "bottom." There are 7 basements total. 7 represents the path of life, the seeking of truth. By descending to the seventh basement, perhaps you will find the truth. However you stop at the third, where it is cold and there are vicious animals which only Maya can calm. These represent your Shadow, the things which you do not know about but which threaten to tear your life apart. When you attempt to make your move on Maya (you still see her as a sexual object), she melts in to the wall (rejoins the unconscious).

In the last, which occurred while you were awake, you are inside the house of your mind, the furniture is dark and heavy, the walls are painted blue. The doorway is painted white, with soft light coming through. Maya stands in the open doorway and smiles at you. She is wearing bracelets and rings, jewelry made of circles, which have no beginning and no end. This pattern is reflected in her clothing as well. They represent the Infinite, whether that be the infinity of possibility, the infinity of God, or whatever you want that to be. I think she is inviting you through the door, in to the light, in to Infinity. Her hair has changed now, perhaps meaning that you have moved past your initial flirtatious meetings and are ready to move on to a more mature relationship with her.

I can't connect all of them to the real world events you described, but the process of meeting one's soul is a psychological one, and does not necessarily reflect externally in events beyond one's control. Whatever you do, keep a level head, and the next time you see her, think of her as your best friend, welcoming you home, and see where she takes you. There is a lot to be learned from one's unconscious, and perhaps your life is heading towards better times, towards the light, so to speak. Those storms you experienced before have passed, you are safe in your house and the door is wide open, open to the next chapter of your life.

I hope this helps you, or anyone else. We are all on a path towards full integration, whether that be achieved in this life or another. Just remember, everything is gonna be alright, because no matter how bad life is, you're always free in your mind.