Author Topic: Forg's dunk tank. Tell your friends.  (Read 2986 times)

October 24, 2008, 04:53:26 PM
Read 2986 times

Forg

• Posts By Osmosis

• The V' Smithy

• View Profile
Alright folks, I'm going to follow along with kendamu's good idea and post a couple of my own vids.

These first couple of matches are our first legit sparring matches of this semester. I'm not really too impressed with them and intend to focus myself  a bit more in videos to come to provide you with the best I have. I welcome all constructive criticism, regular criticism and just plain bashing that you may consider while watching these vids.

May your previous views of my epicness be crushed and burned.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 09:56:35 PM by Forg »
Be your own light, your own refuge. Believe only that which you test for yourself. Do not accept authority merely because it comes from a great man, or is written in a sacred book, for truth is different for each man and woman." -- Buddha

October 24, 2008, 06:38:26 PM
Reply #1

TheAleph

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    א
    • View Profile
** Checks favorites **

Lauren Benoit's Sexy Bikinis!

>_>

** Subscribes **
"Today, a young man on acid, realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, and we are the imagination of ourselves... now here's Tom with the weather." - Bill Hicks

October 25, 2008, 10:38:26 AM
Reply #2

Raitaro

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Knight of Wands
    • View Profile
Work on your guard and upper-body movement. You may also want to consider your use of counter-attacks and intercepting punches.
 I'd like to see a little more grappling and a tighter clinch aswell.
The IneptInitiate
http://xkcd.com/303/
http://xkcd.com/123/

I got a hot girl and the coolest band I know. I gotta bad habbit of smoking before the show.
I got music I got friends I trust and love. I get into a lot of fights and now my knuckles are all fucked up.....

October 25, 2008, 10:48:28 AM
Reply #3

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Assuming you're the guy in the white shirt, Video 1:
a) Well, for one, you're too friendly with each other; you seem like you're just trying to touch rather than hit :) (of course, my perception here could just be the fault of not being able to feel the hits

b) Next, you sacrifice skill fairly often for a chance to get under his leading hand just to land what appears to be a tap on his stomach.

c) You also do a lot of "pre-attack" motion that gives off your intent.

Video 2:
still c
d) When you're closing the distance between the two of you, take a single longer step rather than two or three really short steps.

Video 4:
e) I don't recall if it was in the previous videos, but you drop your hand guard when you kick.

There's a lot of good points too, like that you keep up the energy throughout all four rounds. A lot of times you don't give up the offensive quickly, ie you continue attacking when he's on the defense, particularily when he's against the wall. And you usually try to get away from him when he starts taking the offensive.

I'm a little tired right now so my mind was wandering a bit when I was watching the videos, but I'm sure others can critique it better ^_^

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

October 25, 2008, 01:30:35 PM
Reply #4

HADOUKEN

• Posts By Osmosis

• I ga pisha!

• View Profile
Try getting Head Control, yank him around a bit, and throw some knees.
Develop mind and body to enhance the spirit.

October 25, 2008, 05:10:31 PM
Reply #5

Forg

• Posts By Osmosis

• The V' Smithy

• View Profile
Work on your guard and upper-body movement. You may also want to consider your use of counter-attacks and intercepting punches.
 I'd like to see a little more grappling and a tighter clinch aswell.

Definitely. I do intend to add a bit more upper body movement so I can work around his straight shots a bit better. I'm not much of a grappler when standing and much prefer to tag him rather than work in close. This is primarily due to his jujitsu experience, so I try to stay away from the ground if possible, which is where the clinch tends to lead.

Assuming you're the guy in the white shirt, Video 1:
a) Well, for one, you're too friendly with each other; you seem like you're just trying to touch rather than hit :) (of course, my perception here could just be the fault of not being able to feel the hits

b) Next, you sacrifice skill fairly often for a chance to get under his leading hand just to land what appears to be a tap on his stomach.

c) You also do a lot of "pre-attack" motion that gives off your intent.

Video 2:
still c
d) When you're closing the distance between the two of you, take a single longer step rather than two or three really short steps.

Video 4:
e) I don't recall if it was in the previous videos, but you drop your hand guard when you kick.

There's a lot of good points too, like that you keep up the energy throughout all four rounds. A lot of times you don't give up the offensive quickly, ie you continue attacking when he's on the defense, particularily when he's against the wall. And you usually try to get away from him when he starts taking the offensive.

I'm a little tired right now so my mind was wandering a bit when I was watching the videos, but I'm sure others can critique it better ^_^

~Steve

A) Do you mean in the context of our intent? We are going light contact in the videos (note the story box on the video), so I'm not sure if you didn't know that or somethign else.

B) Definitely agree. I was lacking a great deal of focus in the first round there and my attacks were sparadic and ill-done.

C ,D, and E) I'll see about improving on those.

Try getting Head Control, yank him around a bit, and throw some knees.

I'll give this a go as well. This is something we used to do quite often in our matches but we haven't done much of this time around.

Some general notes, I'm not moving quite as quickly as I'm capable, something I intend to change. I vary my styles a bit when I spar to try to cater to the opponent I'm fighting, as I'm sure anyone does, but I have yet to pick one I think is adequate here. 'Pretty boy', as I so lovingly call him, keeps me with my left leading a lot because he leads with his left. I prefer to lead with my power hand forward (the right), and so I've found my reactions are slower and my guard tends to be lacking when standing this way. I intend to improve this along the way by keeping my hands up a bit higher and tighter, and work with some of the things mentioned above.

Thanks for the input guys! New vids are up. Feel free to comment here or on youtube.
Be your own light, your own refuge. Believe only that which you test for yourself. Do not accept authority merely because it comes from a great man, or is written in a sacred book, for truth is different for each man and woman." -- Buddha

October 26, 2008, 09:19:02 AM
Reply #6

NathanE

• Posts By Osmosis

• BEEFCAKE BEEFCAKE

• View Profile
I know you don't like grapling but his punches have good technique but they are slow. Grab his wrist when he tries a right hook and palm strike him in the chest (for training pourposes only if your really fighting hit him in the face with a palm)

:D
Chance is a word void of sense; nothing can exist without a cause. ~Voltaire

Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.~Scott Adams

“Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets”

December 29, 2008, 08:27:31 AM
Reply #7

BlacK

• Veritas Furniture

• BlacK SnaX

• Personal Text
    No Fixed Abode
    • View Profile
I would invest in some sparring gear, get at least some MMA gloves, maybe some headgear. The more protection you have on during sparring the less you have to pull your punches and the more realistic the sparring can be without braining each other or breaking your hands. I'd also suggest training on grass or mats so you can throw and mix in some groundwork without breaking things/getting covered in friction burns.

Once you've got some you should start working your jab a lot more, use it to lead into combinations and step-ins. You seem to be the smaller fighter in those videos and so you should be looking to push in close and use hooks and uppercuts. Ken had a good suggestion in the clinching and kneeing, but as the smaller fighter try and knee to the inside and outside of the thighs rather than the head or body, unless you are considerably stronger than your opponent and can wrench him around without wasting too much energy.

Try and take a lower stance, keep your chin down and use more head movement, sometimes you were prone to leaning back to evade and that gets people steamrolled.

You are quick on your feet and well balanced though. Once you get some gloves you can let your hands go and get a better idea of where you can improve.
Ominous Latin phrase

December 29, 2008, 03:44:20 PM
Reply #8

Trillis

• Posts By Osmosis

• Has a lot of posts

• View Profile
Holding a man for more than 4 seconds is romance.

December 29, 2008, 04:33:49 PM
Reply #9

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

January 02, 2009, 07:13:58 PM
Reply #10

Dutie

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    Form through Thought and Action.
    • View Profile
Holding a man for more than four seconds without hurting him is romance.  Otherwise, it's good sport.
No matter how badly the world may beat me I will get up, and I will keep getting up until my body is no longer there and my spirit transcends this world.