Author Topic: Color of the Belt  (Read 5046 times)

March 18, 2004, 04:16:28 PM
Reply #15

Anthrox

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Blue Belt with a red stripe  TKD  :cool:

March 18, 2004, 05:18:34 PM
Reply #16

Xiphere

• A Familiar Feature

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    Hundred-plus Club
    • View Profile
Ninjitsu=Red belt 2nd degree 2 belts and 4 degrees away from black^_^
Call me X if you will...long storie behind that nikname.

March 19, 2004, 01:12:26 AM
Reply #17

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
Green Sash, though I should be Yellow apparently. But I'm going for my Purple soon (I think). We just had our syllabus modified and it's a little confusing.

Silver_Archer: While that may be true in many clubs around the world, not in our Kung Fu club (Mine, Sim's and Falcon's, well, we don't own it, but we go there). Our Instructor makes sure that once we're a grade higher than when we originally get graded on the techniques, that they are very good, and then two sashes after that, they are almost flawless. Say you learn a simple straight punch for white sash, you need only know the basic technique for white, but for blue, it needs to be good, for orange it has to be very good, and after that, no flaws. He will fail us if we aren't getting the early techniques very good indeed. by the time we get to the blacks, all our basic techniques will allow us to find the harder ones much easier to get better at (theoretically).
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

March 19, 2004, 11:56:56 AM
Reply #18

Wei_Tu_hui

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I'm a 9th gup in Tang Soo Do (white belt with stripe) but I have beaten every single 2nd gup in sparring in less than five seconds. How do I do this? you might ask. I train my freakin' ass off. When I'm not on veritas I'm either training or thinking up new combos. I'm also a white belt in judo. I've been to three classes and I've already beaten a green belt in  randori. Unfortunetly I'm not very humble so if somebody could come to my house and beat me up it would be much apreciated.
Remember, eagles may soar, but weasels don't get
sucked into jet engines.

How many zen masters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Two, one to change the light bulb and one NOT  to change the light bulb

March 19, 2004, 11:59:47 AM
Reply #19

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
When I'm not on Veritas, writing my novel or doing hwk, I'm usually thinking up new movements ("combos"), locks (and how to get out of them), etc etc, or focusing my Chi.
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

March 19, 2004, 12:12:29 PM
Reply #20

Sim

• A Veritas Regular

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
When i'm not on Veritas or Schooling etc i'm a lazy bastard :P.

Dude! I just told you, belt colour doesn't matter! You must respect higher ranks, but it doesn't necessarily mean that a higher belt is THAT much better than you. Sensei's construct individual programs for each individual Karate-Ka/ student of kung fu, whatever, based on their ability to learn and progress. My sensei's like to challenge me more, because I love challenges. Any martial artist would agree with me, I'm sure.

1. Please don't call me 'dude' it annoys the hell out of me.

2. DUH! I know that belts/grades technically mean little.

3. How about because to get to that level he would have to have trained hard/been doing it for years longer than I have and would logically be able to wipe the flaw with me.

Unfortunetly I'm not very humble so if somebody could come to my house and beat me up it would be much apreciated.

Glad to help you out....     :P
Philosophy is for those with imagination but no real knowledge - Me

"The 'paradox' is only a conflict between reality and your feeling of what reality 'ought to be'"
-Richard Feynman

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."
-Max Planck

I'm a signature virus, copy me and help me spread!

March 19, 2004, 12:52:56 PM
Reply #21

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• 0. The Fool... Inverted?

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
i train myself.

for "official" training, i've only had 4 months training in tae kwon do (whitebelt, yellowstripe) and 2 months training in american kickboxing (bleh :p tis a big waste).

~kakkarot
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

March 19, 2004, 10:11:51 PM
Reply #22

Watchtower

• Posts By Osmosis

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    Contemplative Panentheist
    • View Profile
If you include the time spent training myself outside the dojahng, starting from when I took my first Martial arts class ever, then I have been training 8 years now. Jido Kwan-Tae kwon do.
"For no matter how holy works may be, they do not make us holy because we do them, but in so far as we within ourselves are as we should be, we make holy all that we do, whether it be eating, or sleeping, or working, or what it may."

-Eckhart von Hochheim

March 20, 2004, 08:00:16 PM
Reply #23

Pride

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
First of all Sim, or "dude" I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you cry with but one insignifican't word... and if I've offended you, then deal with it. To me, you seem nothing more than some person hiding behind a computer screen so that you may say anything, and not have to fear the fact that there are martial artists and practitioners of chi out there that are much powerful then you could be on your best day. Maybe I'm wrong... but that's not likely.

Second: The_Fool, if you actually believe that the colour of someone's belt depicts there strength, then your name only implies what it means, fool. I don't mean to be rash, but a green belt that now trains but once a month hardly has an advantage over a yellow belt that trains every day and devotes himself to the martial arts. But at the same time, one must show respect to higher ranks for there devotion to the martial arts as-well. and, like ive said in other posts, a good sensei will set a different course for each student, so that they may reach their maximum ability. Not everyone had the strength and endurance as some of us, therefore, if your sensei makes but one program for everyone, the weaker students would end up quitting from frustration, and therefor, not reaching even their minimal strength.
Pain is Temporary... My Pride is Forever

March 20, 2004, 08:12:50 PM
Reply #24

beehe

• Posts By Osmosis

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Who ceast to exsist
    • View Profile
lol i leave then people/thing start discussing belt color im probly pointing out what someone said before the belt only tell you your are still holding on to a piace of fabric me i burned my belts awail ago whne my dojo instructor was arrested for trying to kill someone...............don't ask...... any ways the belt just ses i know this much if you walk into a place with just the uniform and a lowor color of belt there just saying your less then them even if you can still beat them..
~who cares who anyone is long as someone cares about them~egotism at its strongest point

March 20, 2004, 08:30:07 PM
Reply #25

DiabLord

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
i would have to agree with the trend of this thread, a black belt doesn't stop someone giving you a boo-boo

i like to believe this because i'm a white belt (for over 11 months...) in ninjutsu...

-Zaxton, what is that as a kyu. ninjutsu doesnt have degrees (dunno about red belts, my dojo has white, green, brown and black, but i dunno how official that is) ninjutsu goes, 9th-1st kyu then 1st-10th dan, no degrees.
how the **** do you make a sig???

March 20, 2004, 08:39:41 PM
Reply #26

beehe

• Posts By Osmosis

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Who ceast to exsist
    • View Profile
i train in ninjistu me the instuctor of my self dosent belive in degrees or rankings exsept teacher and student lol and guess what im the teacher and the student im am the few who train themselve good in martial arts
:: i teach there for i learn there thats a good way too put it::
~who cares who anyone is long as someone cares about them~egotism at its strongest point

March 21, 2004, 07:11:18 AM
Reply #27

Frozen

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• Personal Text
    Posting chief
    • View Profile
I have a pretty black belt with my name embroidered in gold thread written in Korean on it, and three very pretty stars.
* chirss was kicked by kobok (Denny Crane)

I CARVE EVERYTHING YOU SAY INTO MY LEFT ARM!
~ V

<ShoresofPluto> how often do u ignite fires with ur mind?
<kobok> On occasion.

[20:06] <kobok> XIII:  You wear your girlfriend's pants??
[20:06] <XIII> kobok: On occasion.

March 21, 2004, 11:57:17 AM
Reply #28

Fireborn Wolf

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/ascendantraven@sbcglobal.net
Belts are just mastery levels to me. The higher you are the more possible techniques you know. However, you will use what you know the most. If you practice a form for 10 years, and another for 2, you will slip into what you have done for 10.

Shorinryu= Hachi-kyu (orange belt)
The Wheel weavs as The Wheel wills.