Author Topic: The Practice of Yoga II: Raja Yoga  (Read 49830 times)

February 18, 2009, 04:52:30 AM
Reply #45

Big Boss

• Posts By Osmosis

• Friggen Crazy

• Personal Text
    Owner of 100000 V-Points
    • View Profile
    • I'm a trendy blogger now.
There is a disturbing amount of spelling/grammatical errors in that post. That is uncharacteristic.
Join my Folding@Home team and do some good! #159490

Details at http://folding.stanford.edu/

February 18, 2009, 04:27:58 PM
Reply #46

Veos

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
  The new internet explorer on this computer doesn't let me see anything more than a few sentences of what I type in the reply box.  the rest of my comments are then "shots in the dark" as to what i'm actually typing, hence the grammar problems.  The typos are due to using a new keyboard, and being unable to double check my writing from the above mentioned problem.  I'll be having this problem until I can get it fixed.  Sorry about that. 
Soham Sivoham Aham Brahma Asmi Mahavakya
Suddha satchitananda purna parabrahma
Chidananda Rupa Sivoham Sivoham

February 18, 2009, 05:25:42 PM
Reply #47

Tsumaru

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Why don't you just type in MS Word (or any other text processor) and then copy it across after checking through it... doesn't take an enlightened yoga guru to figure that out.
don't believe everything you read... especially if it comes from me.

February 18, 2009, 06:38:48 PM
Reply #48

Jesse9209

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
I've had the same problem when writing PM's I just scroll down if I think I messed up though.

Those answers were very helpful thanks Veos. I've been practicing some japa almost constantly, every moment I remeber that i'm not busy doing something else at least, and i've been feeling great. I'm patient, happy, peaceful, and content. I've been thinking of what to do in regards to practice and I think I'm going to do a mix of yoga and magic. Power isn't nearly as important to me as it used to be however I think its still important for a variety of reasons and the reasons are fairly good at least to me.

One question I have though is when someone pursues yoga as a renunciate I don't remeber seeing a definition for that, but I assume you mean someone who practices yoga pretty constantly not really doing much else except what they need to to survive is is supposed to have the money and time nessecary to devote to that without having some power that enables them some way to make money easier(through magical methods or otherwise)

I don't know how that will work out if I try to do yoga and practice as much as you suggest is good. Though if I can really start to reduce my sleep once I reach a certain stage it will be easier. I've been sleeping quite a bit and still been fairly tired though i've been sick, stressed for family reasons, in a car crash, lost weight from puking, and it takes me forever to get to sleep to so I don't acctually get as much sleep as I normally do so lately getting everything I need done for school and my family has made practicing a bit of a struggle. And I really only practice a bit over an hour now ussually. I'm wondering how I'll pull it off in college and later with a job.

If you could give me a bit more advice i'd appriciate it.

February 19, 2009, 03:44:40 PM
Reply #49

Veos

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
You can't do everything at once.  Some people go to college and others don't.  If you are going to go to college and work then try to get 1-2 hours a day.  You will not make great progress, but you will make at least some and be able to keep a good spiritual grounding during your daily acivities.  After college then move up to about 5 hours a day of meditation so you can have good progress and have self-realization in 7 or 8 years.
Soham Sivoham Aham Brahma Asmi Mahavakya
Suddha satchitananda purna parabrahma
Chidananda Rupa Sivoham Sivoham

January 24, 2010, 12:37:12 PM
Reply #50

nanicoar

• View Profile
"Opinions are like assholes. - Everybody's got one." My opinion is that the powers that be might turn the world on its head, uproot all rules and words of sages and authority just for you. You do the Great Work to increase your chances; not so that you may reap what you have sown.

I say this because one night in my teens the jewel of the world spontaneously fell into my lap. Please let the following seed take root in your fertile imagination:

I woke up in the middle of the night and found myself in a state of deep tranquility. I felt no discomfort and there was a vastness about. So far away there were a thousand points of light at the edge of my perception, like the night sky but fainter still and yet more distant than the oldest of stars. My body in my bed felt distant, the size it always had been but tiny in comparison to my inner size. In spite of the vastness in my mind, I filled it up entirely and I felt myself reach all across the firmament. I was like a newborn creator god and there was but my will alone... and still something else, a presence. A Being, sentient but silent; knowing and patient.
I felt as if the Will that upheld the cosmos had been passed onto me like a mantle. I had options* and I did not want the experience to end even though it was new and unknown and I had no idea I was ready for such a thing. I remembered my morals and their verdict; that many things in this world were unjust. I decided to use this seemingly all-powerfull will to change things while I still had the chance. Before I could decide on what exactly I had stirred things up so much in my mind that the tranquility slipped away, and I returned to a smaller mind.
I laid in my bed in wonderment. I reviewed what had just occurred. I wet back to sleep and when I woke up continued as if nothing had happened.

*Options... In retrospect when I contemplated, without internal dialogue I might add, what to do I had already digressed, but apparently not quite too far. With the years of training I have now put under my belt and still more to come I should have a better strategy for final transcendence. Analysis of the fact that options exist in this state tells that there is still a multitude of paths to take from this crossroads called "samadhi". Our path is long, but keep the goal in mind and you will reach it. I hope that this secondhand look at samadhi will benefit you, maybe you can fake it 'till you make it. I believe that "inexpressible" is another way to say "I'm too lazy", "I don't have the vocabulary", "I lack the imagination" or worse "I haven't actually been there".
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:42:16 PM by nanicoar »