Author Topic: The Practice of Yoga II: Raja Yoga  (Read 53712 times)

October 03, 2008, 01:43:32 PM
Reply #15

Kichara

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Row, Row, Row Your Boat
    • View Profile
    • Check it Out.
Sri Swami Sivananda expanding the virtue of Ahimsa. I hope this will help, wushi.

http://www.dlshq.org/teachings/ahimsa.htm
Hey, whats up?

Please vote in my poll:
http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=12212.0

October 03, 2008, 01:51:22 PM
Reply #16

Veos

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
My point is: You wanting to help people isn't unconditional unless it is a natural byproduct of you living your own life. If we move this even further then how do you know you are not just helping their personality instead of helping their own evolution? Helping often implies not doing anything at all so people can learn their lessons their own way (By this I do not imply being arrogant or doing it from the ego-satisfaction of knowing what is going on but not telling them and so on ...). So (and I speak only for myself here) how do I know when I'm really helping someone? When it is a spontaneous act that is a byproduct of living my life and not because I have to or I want to help them. Thus even if they spit on me afterwards, I cannot possible regret helping them because I did it for the act itself, not to help them.
I believe that the only way to really help someone is if you first help yourself reach the level where helping people becomes natural and not because some law tells you to help people. (the paradox in this is that you'll eventually end up helping alot more people)

I know this probably sounds really abstract, but that is my own thought and (so far) experience on the matter and my own bias against certain laws of how one must live her life.

And at what point does complex and semi-useless theorizing get in the way of actually practical service to humanity?  It does little good to say "If I help A, but I don't do it as B, then will A (not with B) be helped as much as A (with B)?  If so, if my B is not in line with what I think C should be, and my C is closer to their A, should I do C instead of B to help A? But will my C really help their A?  Is it the law of the universe for D to happen to A regardless of my own C and B?" and so on.  

It is simple.  There is no such thing as selfish selfless service.  Its an oxymoron.  If it is selfish, then its not selfless and vice versa.  Don't sit and bicker in your head as to whether or not you should help someone.  Then you're not helping anyone, whether yourself or them.  The principle is Karma Yoga.  Selfless service purifies the body and mind.    
Soham Sivoham Aham Brahma Asmi Mahavakya
Suddha satchitananda purna parabrahma
Chidananda Rupa Sivoham Sivoham

October 03, 2008, 02:40:49 PM
Reply #17

Wushi

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Om Namah Shivaya
    • View Profile
I'm just looking at it from different angles because from my experience people most often don't want help, I will see what I can do with it.
Konx Om Pax

October 03, 2008, 03:11:35 PM
Reply #18

TheAleph

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    א
    • View Profile
I'm just looking at it from different angles because from my experience people most often don't want help, I will see what I can do with it.

You can help them in a way they don't feel they're being helped at all if you feel they absolutely need it. You know, little things...

Kichara: Cool article, thanks :D
"Today, a young man on acid, realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, and we are the imagination of ourselves... now here's Tom with the weather." - Bill Hicks

October 05, 2008, 03:11:24 AM
Reply #19

Wushi

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Om Namah Shivaya
    • View Profile
Yes, thank you for the article Kichara, it has been very informative
Konx Om Pax

October 06, 2008, 06:09:51 PM
Reply #20

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
The most help a magician brings to people is probably from a distance. So the person may not even realize they are being helped...
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

October 07, 2008, 08:36:54 AM
Reply #21

Hech

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Not if the magician is simply helping a person with their groceries.

October 07, 2008, 09:41:02 AM
Reply #22

taaraka

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
At a certain point in spiritual evolution you may see a situation where you can help and feel the inspiration to help, sometimes not. At this point the mind no longer judges as to whether to help or not. Try not to judge a situation prior to service, what does it feel like internally to you...let the universe guide.

October 08, 2008, 05:07:03 PM
Reply #23

Entity

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    : : A a U u M m : :
    • View Profile
    • United Psionics Club
Good advice Taraaka. A lot of times, we can simply be too human and let our minds speculate and imagine future situations and expect them to be in fact true. However, more than not, especially when it comes to spiritual matters, future assumptions actually go in the wrong direction which makes sense seeing as how we are allowing our minds, our egos to take control of our spiritual decisions. Now why would the ego want to help with such a pursuit? It will do all it can to sway you towards it's own selfish desires. We are thinking with the mind, of which the ego currently has most control. Thus one must not use their mind to 'think' about matters which are beyond the scope of the mind's ability to grasp. Follow scripture, keep your practices steady, and as your consciousness grows so will your ability to understand what actually to do, along with the natural development of your intuition.

I will share an example of this pertaining to my own life. Last year I first stumbled upon the teachings of Karma yoga, and tried desperately to fit this into my lifestyle. It seemed simple enough to dedicate all of your actions to God... at least it seemed easy in retrospect. However, when I tried to put it to 'action', so to speak, I could not at all understand, or even grasp how I could work for God! It made no sense to me. I could not understand how one could dedicate all acts to God, when God was just this concept to me, and I was living in this world which seemed so far away from His influence. I wondered why I would dedicate something like cleaning dishes to God, and whether or not it was a waste of my mental energy, or something of that sort.

As time went on however, and as my consciousness expanded by small degrees, it automatically became easier, and today it feels so natural to offer my food to God, and my actions, and sacrifice. I no longer need to make much of a mental effort to try to understand constantly why I would do this, or what I had to feel like, I simply_understand. My mind no longer rebels against such a practice, and thus no longer questions it.

Spiritual practice is beyond the scope of thinking, it is contained within your soul, and only with practice and progress will this understanding and intuition naturally bubble forth. Keep helping people even if you cannot understand why, eventually it will just be natural and will bring more rewards than you can imagine. Namaste
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 05:12:58 PM by Entity »
: : O m  N a m a h  S h i v a y a : :

October 11, 2008, 11:18:23 AM
Reply #24

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
Nice post, Entity.

Veos, I have a question- Prophecy mentioned in his article that only ten malas in the morning and the evening would be excellent for the magician, and you say 36 in the mroning, evening and at noon? Should I really aim for 36? And what if I must work during the noon?
And concerning repetition speed. You said 140 "Om"s per minute. What would that sound like? How do I know I'm going too fast or too slow?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 11:21:44 AM by Shadow_Dragon »
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

October 11, 2008, 01:10:34 PM
Reply #25

Wushi

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Om Namah Shivaya
    • View Profile
I might not be the right person to tell you this as I seem to ask alot of questions myself but concerning Japa, just feel it out and let yourself go with the flow of the chant, lose yourself in the passion for the God you are to become.
Konx Om Pax

October 11, 2008, 02:26:15 PM
Reply #26

Veos

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
10 malas in the morning and evening is excellent for a magician.  This article as if the reader intends to be full-time Yogi, not a magician.  The magician will use the Japa to increase his power of concentration and calm down the mind before practice or a magickal operation.  The Yogi uses it to reach higher levels of consciousness. 

As for "Om", reduce it down to 120 a minute, thus 2 Oms per second.  To get the timing, just watch a stop-watch or clock that shows seconds and practice saying two oms per second. 
Soham Sivoham Aham Brahma Asmi Mahavakya
Suddha satchitananda purna parabrahma
Chidananda Rupa Sivoham Sivoham

October 24, 2008, 03:08:10 AM
Reply #27

Wushi

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Om Namah Shivaya
    • View Profile
Can Nadi Sodhana be reached naturally through ritual and meditation?

For example:
Step I of IIH would have you reach a complete focus for 10 minutes (as far as I understand it). If you would keep practicing until you reach 30 minutes, would Nadi Sodhana occur naturally as well?
Konx Om Pax

October 24, 2008, 05:18:11 AM
Reply #28

Jesse9209

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
I asked Veos about several other ways I thought would work but he said that nadi sodhana comes from yoga and is the only system that focuses on it and that pranayama is the only way to achieve nadi sodhana.

October 24, 2008, 06:01:02 AM
Reply #29

Hech

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Pranayama is great for a number of reasons. Why not take advantage of it anyway?