Author Topic: The Practice of Yoga  (Read 81569 times)

November 25, 2008, 04:39:08 AM
Reply #60

Dazza

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    Rise up and become light!
    • View Profile
Thanks guys:) I think I've got it. I had by best session so far this evening, feels really great.

December 06, 2008, 02:01:53 PM
Reply #61

Dazza

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
How important is shavasana? Veos only mentions it very briefly.

December 07, 2008, 12:03:06 AM
Reply #62

Trinity

• View Profile
I've been doing the asanas Veos mentioned for a few months now and I've recently noticed that my back and neck have stopped cracking. I used to crack my back and neck sort of often and it would crunch and crack quite a few times. But the other day I tried to crack my back and I couldn't do it. I've tried a few more times in the past five or six days and it won't crack. So I'm wondering if it's just a coincidence or if there's a connection between the asanas and back/neck cracking. Any suggestions?
From delusion lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality.

December 14, 2008, 03:41:03 PM
Reply #63

Dazza

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I would say there is definitely a connection. Sounds like a good thing:) Your back is getting stronger I would say.

December 23, 2008, 12:23:35 AM
Reply #64

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
I apologize for reviving an old topic, but when should the Mudras be performed by the aspirant?
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

January 24, 2009, 05:25:02 AM
Reply #65

Big Boss

• Posts By Osmosis

• Friggen Crazy

• Personal Text
    Owner of 100000 V-Points
    • View Profile
    • I'm a trendy blogger now.
I've been doing the asanas Veos mentioned for a few months now and I've recently noticed that my back and neck have stopped cracking. I used to crack my back and neck sort of often and it would crunch and crack quite a few times. But the other day I tried to crack my back and I couldn't do it. I've tried a few more times in the past five or six days and it won't crack. So I'm wondering if it's just a coincidence or if there's a connection between the asanas and back/neck cracking. Any suggestions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracking_joints

Note the section on "Source" where it talks about the "refractory period." If you go a significant time without cracking a joint, it will not crack until you start working at it again, stretching it beyond the normal range of motion and working the joint fluid. As a personal experiment, I stopped cracking my ring finger on each hand, yet continued to crack all my other fingers and thumbs. After a few months, the ring fingers stopped cracking (and I have never gotten back into the habit of cracking them, so they still don't crack when I stress them.), yet the rest of my fingers are just as crackable as before.

There is no conclusive evidence that cracking joints is in any way harmful (notice all of the statements about negative repercussions in the wikipedia article have no sources to back them up.), so a cracking in your back is not an illness that can be healed by yoga. However, that's not to say that yoga hasn't aided you, it simply means your back joints are no longer used to being cracked.

Also also, a joint cracks when it is extended beyond its normal range of motion in a rapid manner. Since yoga involves stretching at a slower pace, you are probably stretching the joints just as far as you would with "cracking" your back, but you are doing it slowly, so it isn't making the pop sound.
Join my Folding@Home team and do some good! #159490

Details at http://folding.stanford.edu/

January 25, 2009, 02:47:06 AM
Reply #66

Tomega

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
Veos,
Reading some material about pranayama, one autor mentiones „royal pranayama“. I will try to describe what I ve read.
In explenation how to do this breathing technique, it is said that every human being have individual rythm of breathing for this pranayama. To find own rythm it is advised that one first go on running, doing some hard physical work etc. After this rythm of breathing will increase. This kind of rythm is ones „golden“ rythm or rythm that this kind of pranayama must do in ones sadhana. It is said that to check one that is doing right rythm of breathing, one must feel tingling feeling in the body. It is advised that one do this pranayama only 2-3 times in one weekend.
Please can you sheed some light on this subject of royal pranayama (if this is its name)?

Also one more thing about Sukha Purvaka Pranayama. How to achive that both nostrils are opened for breathing. Asking this because one nostril is always partlly shut. And this rythm is changing cca. every  2 hours changing from one nostril to other. So how to achive that both nostrils are more or less opened for breathing?

All best,  :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 02:55:51 AM by Tomega »
To Know, To Will, To Dare and To Keep Silent

January 25, 2009, 03:27:54 PM
Reply #67

Veos

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
   Royal Pranayama "Raja Pranayama" sounds lime something the author made up.  For Yogis who's entire philosophy revolves around intensely long hours of practice (6-12 hours a day), something done only 2-3 times on the weekend seems completely useless.  What he describes sounds much more like a Chi Kung practice.

As far as the nostrils go, observe good niyama and yama, practice asanas and strive with the pranayama and they will start to open.  you can also do Jal Neti (snorting water) 15 minutes before Sadhana to help clear the nostrils, as well as some other kriyas described in most hatha yoga texts.  After the first 15-20 rounds of pranayama the nostril will open up if the concentration is intense.  Increase the length of the inhal and exhale out of the closed nostril as needed until it opens up and you can bring it back down to the proper ratio. 
Soham Sivoham Aham Brahma Asmi Mahavakya
Suddha satchitananda purna parabrahma
Chidananda Rupa Sivoham Sivoham

January 25, 2009, 11:11:40 PM
Reply #68

Tomega

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
Thank you Veos for explenation. In my first post about pranayama, I write weekend, but is should be written week:rolleyes:  My mistake. I ve asked this because autor said that this pranayama is intensive and acumulate large amount of prana in short time, so for beginner it might be exausting probebly. No matter. I must stick to original material, as presented in this article.  :cool:

Thank you for tips, I will try it as you present it.  :biggrin:

January 25, 2009, 11:16:19 PM
Reply #69

Rawiri

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Wandering Nomad

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
Tomega: If I'm not mistaken - that is a 'pranayama' exercise gone into by Theron Q. Dumont aka William Walker Atkinson in the book "The Art and Science of Personal Magnetism." I don't recall him ever putting a time limit on it though - merely saying that you do it 'when you feel low on prana' - which could be anywhere from 2-3 times a DAY or something along those lines. (though he doesn't give a name to it I don't think - so perhaps you are reading it from another book). However, I can attest that it DOES generate a good deal of prana through my own practice of that technique. So, don't discard it so readily...IMO.

As for the nostrils - alternate nostril pranayama itself will tend to open them up throughout the exercise. Veos answered that question of yours excellently so i don't need to comment further.

(It should be kept in mind that his work - in that particular case as opposed to when he used the pseudonym Yogi Ramacharaka - was not meant for those interested in yoga or even necessarily in spirituality but purely for those who want to get better health, energy to do things, overcome obstacles - such as being timid and pushed around by others in one of his examples -, generating a commanding presence, influencing others (indirectly and directly) and in general...getting ahead in daily life)

Oh and to Dazza:
How important is shavasana? Veos only mentions it very briefly.

Many authors on yoga tend to pass by shavasana very briefly as it is normally so readily understood concerning its importance afterwards (and in some cases, before) the practice. Shavasana allows the changes that have taken place from the asana routine to properly 'assimilate' in the body. The yogis often spend a great deal of time learning physical relaxation to the point they can relax completely and slump on the floor at will - which is something far from common in people nowadays. Some teachers have even recommended relaxing for double the amount of time one does asanas...though...most of us have lives to live and so that is rather difficult. :P

EDIT: Corrected the pen name, and added title of the book.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:17:42 AM by Rawiri »

January 26, 2009, 05:25:22 AM
Reply #70

Tomega

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
Thanks Rawiri for info.
I ve read about this kind of pranayama in book:
Z. M. Slavinski: "Psihicki trening indijskih fakira i jogija" (Pyshic training of indian fakirs and yogins). Written 30 years ago, in serbian language, so it is become great introduction during 80's in ex-Yugoslavian countrys. It is never translated into english as I am familiar of. Nice and practical little book about body and mind control exercises.

January 28, 2009, 10:21:49 PM
Reply #71

Dazza

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Thanks again Rawiri:)

April 26, 2010, 11:52:21 AM
Reply #72

Félix

• Personal Text
    Om Namah Shivaya!
    • View Profile
Dear brother Veos, thank you for the article. I've apreciated a lot your articles here on the Veritas. But I have a problem with one of the asanas of the text. I can't, in any way, do Paschimottanasana. It's phisically impossible to me do it. I cannot bend much my spine, I just can't. If I try... when I'm bending, my knees hurt a lot and if I bend more, the pain is on my back, on the top and on the bottom. I just don't know why, but I can't.

I want to know... there is another asana which can be a substitute do Paschimottanasana on the practices? One that have similar effects? Or, can you say how I can make my spine more flexible?

Thanks, my brother, again.
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth consume, and where thieves do not break through nor steal.

For where thy treasure is, there will thy heart be also.

Matthew, 6:20/21.

April 27, 2010, 09:07:51 PM
Reply #73

Kichara

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Row, Row, Row Your Boat
    • View Profile
    • Check it Out.
Since Fr. Veos might be a while in replying, and I had a similar problem. I'll give my two cents.

What I did was I practiced touching my toes while standing and keeping my back straight. Don't worry about how far you can bend over doing this, just go as far as you need to to feel it stretching. Very important to keep your back straight. Once I got to the point of laying my chest flat to my body while standing I worked on doing it sitting.

I just stretched about a minute each day at touching my toes and then laying my hands on the ground and then laying my chest on my legs.
Hey, whats up?

Please vote in my poll:
http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=12212.0

June 12, 2010, 08:19:08 AM
Reply #74

Karlykins

• Settling In

• View Profile
I am just starting out on my Magick journey and I believe this article has really helped me.
Great writing.
~Karlykins