Author Topic: Daily Magic Practices II  (Read 86631 times)

May 12, 2008, 03:01:27 PM
Reply #15

Raitaro

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Knight of Wands
    • View Profile
Here's a little tip `Zephyr gave me if you don't have a mala. There are 12  points on your fingers you can use for counting. The first four are the knuckles, then you move up to the finger joint and then to the joint below the nails. You coun't all fingers on one hand excluding the thumb. Then you have 12.
 For 108 repititions you must chant 12 sets of 9. Thusly, start on the first knuckle of your left hand, that'll be your first set. Count along the points described on your right hand until you reach 9 (the bit below the nail on your first finger). Once you reach here start with the second knuckle on your left hand. Continue in this fashion until you've exhausted all these points.
 It takes a bit of getting used to but it helped me a great deal.
The IneptInitiate
http://xkcd.com/303/
http://xkcd.com/123/

I got a hot girl and the coolest band I know. I gotta bad habbit of smoking before the show.
I got music I got friends I trust and love. I get into a lot of fights and now my knuckles are all fucked up.....

May 14, 2008, 04:33:29 PM
Reply #16

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
First off, thank you for sharing, Prophecy. Your articles (this one included) have helped and will help me greatly on my Journey. I can honestly say I don't know where I would be without you. ^_^"

And moving on to my questions, I am in what seems to be a unique or at least rare situation; I have a lot of free time, and I do mean a lot. I am self employed, and my work requires only a few hours a day--some times not even that. And in addition to this, I am a hermit of sorts, so I have almost no social life (this will change, eventually (probably), as my empathy comes under control). So, I can dedicate many hours to magic and spiritual practice and or study, but the question rises--Should I?

I have seen many times, in many exercises (especially in the IIH) that you should only do this or that for so long (usually ten minutes, sometimes 30 or so), but it is my understanding that these exercises were constructed to work for "busy people". I am not a "busy person", per se, but from a martial artists perspective I DO acknowledge the risk of over training, so constructing a schedule of spiritual practice greater then what has been recommended often worries me.

So here I am, asking you, one who has taught me or otherwise led me to learn most of what I know regarding magic and hermeticism--Is it "safe" to construct a longer schedule of spiritual practice then what is normally recommended (one hour in the morning, and one at night, per what was stated in an earlier post here)--and if it is, will it bring forth results faster? I am a patient person when I have to be, and I realize I won't complete IIH or any other such practice overnight (or in a week, or month), but I've also long adopted the philosophy of "You get what you give"--and having the extra time to give as I do, I would hate to "waste" it as I have for so long already.

~:Shin:~
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

May 14, 2008, 07:50:46 PM
Reply #17

Kichara

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Row, Row, Row Your Boat
    • View Profile
    • Check it Out.
I am pretty sure that the time limits mostly apply to when you are moving the energy or accumulating. Like You would not want to over do Pranayama or the Elemental accumulations, but that doesn't mean that you can't practice them more than twice a day. and you can do the meditations and things like Asanas as long as you can. Japa in particular you can continue the entire day if it pleases you.(And it brings very interesting effects I might add once you have enough mental control to keep it running) Unless it is moving or accumulating energy I don't think there are time limits, only minimums.
Hey, whats up?

Please vote in my poll:
http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=12212.0

May 15, 2008, 06:52:09 AM
Reply #18

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
I see, that makes sense. But what would be a somewhat safe intermission period, between the ones that do have limits but can be practiced more? Weight lifers, for example, usually rest for a minute or two before sets. Would something like this require longer rest periods, like an hour, or a half hour, or two? Or would it depend more on the individual, and how much they can handle (as is the case with most weight lifters, staying with the analogy)?

~:Shin:~ - Thank you for answering, I hope I'm not being too annoying. ^_^'
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

May 15, 2008, 07:33:51 AM
Reply #19

Hech

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Pranayama needs to be built up with time. You will find yourself unable to do to much. The general teaching is that four sessions of alternate nostril pranayama is best: morning, noon, evening, and night. You can also increase the number of rounds. This all takes time. Two sessions per day is alright.

Accumulations can probably be done twice per day. Beyond that, I do not know. I have no legitimate personal experience, and I am far from qualified to speak on the astral body. However, do not wear yourself out with practice. Aspirants will ask for more practice. They will practice with vigor for two months even; then not at all.

Use steady, scientific methods of progress. Do not rush, but do not be satisfied with mediocrity either. Start with even practices and slowly increase the amount. As Sivananda frequently says, "Use your common-sense."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 07:40:22 AM by Hech »

May 15, 2008, 03:56:10 PM
Reply #20

Arpspasm

• Veritas Furniture

• Hundred-plus Club

• View Profile
I was wondering if times of bodily excretion (urination and defecation,) would be appropriate times to cleanse the body of energetic wastes? I would assume that there would be some level of this taking place naturally "that which is above is like unto that which is below" and this process might be intensified with focussed intent?
"This life's dim windows of the soul
Distorts the heavens from pole to pole
And leads you to believe a lie
When you see with, not through, the eye."
-William Blake

May 16, 2008, 07:27:51 AM
Reply #21

Wushi

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Om Namah Shivaya
    • View Profile
You are correct Arpspasm ;)
Konx Om Pax

May 16, 2008, 09:31:39 PM
Reply #22

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
Excellent article Prophecy. I have a few questions, though. In your first Daily Magic Practices, you described the QCL and LBRP. Where can you fit those into the schedule? After thought control, perhaps? Or should I reserve those for the beginnings of ritual?
And also, I love the concept of "Om", and would love to add it to "YHShVH", to make it "Om Yod-heh-shin-vau-heh" which sounds more poetic and mystical, and somewhat musical when I say it. I was wondering if this was alright, but I can't see any problems with it.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

May 24, 2008, 06:33:08 PM
Reply #23

Bender

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    Choice is the greatest weapon, destiny is the goal, and dreams are the future... ; p
    • View Profile
Thanx alot, great article, but i have one question:

earlyer in the article you said that you must view your own thoughts objectively. I strugle with this, is there a method to doing this, if so, please share. . .
Choice is the greatest weapon, destiny is the goal, and dreams are the future...   ; p

May 25, 2008, 01:39:57 AM
Reply #24

Wushi

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Om Namah Shivaya
    • View Profile
You can read about it in his Elemental Magic PDF, or in Initiation into Hermetics (or both).
Konx Om Pax

May 25, 2008, 07:49:36 AM
Reply #25

WolfRaider

• Settling In

• View Profile
A great article.

When I read the part about celibacy I thought of a question. Bardon tell us in his work that extreme asceticism is not particularly healthy for one's spiritual advancement, as it can create an elemental imbalance. How does that work with celibacy? I know that twice a month is still safe, but what about complete abstinence?
Quod in corde sobrii, id in lingua ebrii.

May 25, 2008, 09:37:24 AM
Reply #26

Prophecy

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Theurgist

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
Ascetism, in the sense that Bardon uses the term, was more in reference to the extreme practices of the fakirs, which during the time that he wrote his books was just beginning to become known in the western world.  Severe austerities and penances prolonged over a long period of time will do irreparable damage to the physical and astral bodies, even though it may greatly illuminate the mental body and soul.  Thus, Bardon warns his readers to be cautious of employing such activities, since complete illumination can be achieved in other ways that are less damaging. 

Celibacy is peculiar in that it is an austerity and a sacrifice which acts as much more than simply a feat of willpower.  In males, it will store up the vital energy usually used for sexual intercourse, and cause the semen and its vital nutrients and potent energy to be withdrawn into the spinal cord.  From there the energy travels up the spine to convert into mental energy, where it lends greatly to the practice of magic and success in deep meditation.  In females, sexual power builds up and is sealed in by the hymen, constantly reverting sexual energy back into the spiritual centers of the woman.  Such is why virgin women have always been held in very high spiritual esteem.  So, in both cases there is a good spiritual reason for celibacy apart from simply a test of willpower and purity.

May 25, 2008, 11:52:08 AM
Reply #27

Rawiri

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Wandering Nomad

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
Sure Bardon is focused mostly on other fanatic ascetism, say standing on one leg for days, or letting the fingernails grow cut into hands etc. But nonetheless he STILL  mentions sex. Specifically he says:

Vegetarianism is not implicitly important for the mental progress or the intellectual development, unless it is supposed to be a remedy to clean the body from slag. A temporary abstinence from meat or animal food is indicated only for very specific magic operations as a sort of preparation, and even then only for a certain period. All this is to be considered with respect to sexual life.

Thus in that context, one can even see that Bardon suggests celibacy is 'not implicitly important for the mental progress' and shows how it is advocated only for very specific magic operations (such as those of the Western Grimoires concerning evocation), and even then only for a certain period. Then of course, further above Bardon goes into how people 'causing great damage by exaggeration and wild excesses that were unnatural and unlawful.'

Now I don't know about everyone else, but looking at nature...'no sex' seems about one of the most excessive and 'unnatural' things there is. Unless perhaps you are a plant, which I suppose some magicians are in their armchairs all day long vegetating. Bardon always advocates to 'beware of any exaggeration' and life long celibacy *is* an exaggeration. Add to this the fact he was married and had children (which come from sex) and may have (though I have not seen any evidence) been a member of the Fraternity of Saturn...which certainly was not prudish.

The idea of celibacy and its benefits comes mostly from three sources I can think of. The old grimoires...and then they were often clergical members, brought up in such a faith and thus had much 'programming' about it. Even they though, were often rather 'rebels' and certainly often did not seem against sex, but only for set periods of some rites. The second main source in 'modern magic' (if I shall even really give it the distinction and honour of being called 'magic') comes from theosophy and Mdme Blavatsky, who was most certainly a rather repressed women...like many women in the occult seem to be...that or nymphomaniacs. Most likely due to her Eastern Orthodox upbringing (I believe, my memory may not be right about that one). Thirdly through the leaking of the eastern ideas and to a far less degree their techniques into the western system, this being linked to Blavatsky above and after the split of the Golden Dawn. Even then though, the east is not very set in their ideas, and there are a multitude of views on this and other subjects, even often among generally respected individuals from different 'sects'.

So may celibacy be beneficial? Perhaps. But it is as far as I can tell, certainly not something advocated by Bardon and I would argue is even placed in a dim light by him, both his writings and life.

May 25, 2008, 12:41:18 PM
Reply #28

Prophecy

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Theurgist

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
Bardon suggested not to be celibate, in that light.  I, however, strongly recommend it to any of my students who can successfully engage in the practice without spoiling other obligations (such as to a loved partner).  Its benefits as I mentioned earlier are still present, regardless of one's magical activities, and they can not do anything but help.  If Bardon had put it into practice, he likely would have discovered the same thing, especially judging by how profoundly influenced he was by the writings of George Lomer.  In speaking of abstinence, Lomer says:

But as a preliminary measure towards the aspired transformation, this sexual abstinence is absolutely necessary. It should be mentioned that it is a transitional stage which does not have to be adhered to as strictly once the goal has been reached.

Hence, once the goal of the training has been reached, abstinence is no longer required.  The personal records of Lahiri Mahasaya also support this, as he maintained Celibacy for a long time until he had achieved constant Samadhi, and from that point would occasionally have sex with his wife. 

In Lomer's "Fundamental Rules of the First Level," his second rule is "Avoid sexual satisfaction of any kind."  In his explanation of the second rule, he states:

"Any kind of sexual intercourse weakens you; at this time you require all your energy for higher purposes. You must also abstain from erotic thoughts, because these weaken you just as much as the actual intercourse; for some people, even more so."

Students who read George Lomer's Seven Hermetic Letters, which were in print before Bardon began writing his books, will find that Bardon's terminology and frame of practice follow the template provided by Lomer.  In western occult literature, this is arguably the most emphasis that sexual abstinence finds.  To students of Eastern practices, it is simply common knowledge.  I have found that regardless of which paradigm one belongs to, unless its practices are sexual, the practice of celibacy is beneficial in every way.  Not only does it sharpen the willpower against the most dominating of desires, and therefore against all other desires, but it provides genuine spiritual benefits in the process.

May 25, 2008, 07:07:55 PM
Reply #29

YHSHV

• Settling In

• View Profile
" In males, it will store up the vital energy usually used for sexual intercourse, and cause the semen and its vital nutrients and potent energy to be withdrawn into the spinal cord. "

If you are willing, please explain how we may transmutate the energy to go up the spine.

As I'm sure you are aware, Freud and later Reich debated that reserved sexuality was the cause of nearly all psychological problems (Freud later deciding to be more a Victorian man). 

I'm not disagreeing, buts its one thing to abstain from sexual activity and repress it, its another thing to transmute it into spiritual energy as you describe.

I'm sure the MP helps with this, but perhaps there is a way for an "immediate" working when someone may get some urges, as is common to all, I'm sure.