Author Topic: Daily Magic Practices II  (Read 99065 times)

October 11, 2010, 09:29:15 PM
Reply #135

NewYorkNewYork

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    Student on the Ever-Lasting Path for Knowledge
    • View Profile
I know its a little bit late, but lovely article! :)
"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work." -Emilie Zola

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." -Charlton Heston

"Give me chastity and continence, but not yet." -Saint Augustine

April 21, 2011, 12:56:47 PM
Reply #136

Holy_Guardian_Angel

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    Thou Art the Lover and the Beloved.
    • View Profile
Why is masturbation considered a "Sin" in the first place?  What is so wrong with self love and pleasure to the body?  Not saying that we should be addicted to every whim, but why do you consider it so wrong and sinful?

On that note, why should an overly sexual person avoid JUST the company of the opposite sex?  What is the magician in question is homosexual?  What then?
You are First in God's Image.  You are Sex.  You are that which gives Birth to All Else.

May 02, 2011, 04:24:36 AM
Reply #137

Asklepios

• Settling In

• View Profile
I wonder why Buddhist mantras are never mentioned. Can I use "om mani padme hum", for example?

May 02, 2011, 02:23:27 PM
Reply #138

Wren

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I wonder why Buddhist mantras are never mentioned. Can I use "om mani padme hum", for example?

Well, a wise man should be able to say, "Hey, I can use Hindu, Christian, or made up mantras; I can probably use Buddhist ones too."

:wink:

May 02, 2011, 03:27:11 PM
Reply #139

Asklepios

• Settling In

• View Profile
Thanks. I was just thinking that Hindu mantras have supremacy over Buddhist mantras, because Prophecy and Veos never gave one as an example.

May 03, 2011, 05:04:15 PM
Reply #140

Wren

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Hindu mantras might actually be superior depending on the philosophical orientation of the school of Buddhism. If you want to reap "good karma" from saying mantras, but your mantra is supposed to destroy all karma, then, well, you are using a saw to do a hammer's job. There is Magic and there is Buddhism, and there is Buddhist magic. Make sense? Then again, there isn't a Hinduism. There's bunches and bunches of hinduisms. Just pick the tool that is right for the job and don't worry about the inherent superiority of a given system. Superiority of a tool is situationally relative in working magic. Sure, you can employ more specialized tools, or tools that are merely created with a greater quality, or increase the amount of tools you use, but everything still boils down to learning pick the right tool for a given job and becoming skilled at using a given tool set.

and @Bubba, humorously,http://xkcd.com/610/ :mad:

May 03, 2011, 06:14:18 PM
Reply #141

Wren

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
The point of the mantra is going to vary depending on the mantra.  :wink: Sure it focuses the mind and/or programs it, but to what end? What does the mind focus on? What pattern does it adopt? What does the mantra Do? Depends on the mantra. You wouldn't use "DIE!" as a healing mantra, now would you? (Of course, going back to my point about becoming familiar with your tools, you could use "DIE!" to attack disease and so heal, but that's playing fast and loose.) In most cases, the recitation of mantras is tied directly into a larger meta-belief, and so by supporting the expression, you empower the root. If you don't want to empower the root, then ya shouldn't water the plant. Also, if a particular mantra is associated with a certain spirit, its recitation is a form of sacrifice, which can bring in a whole host of big bad ghost metaphysics.  :P
In other words, I think "The point of a mantra is," should be "The action of a mantra flows from but is not limited to".

May 04, 2011, 11:02:46 AM
Reply #142

Asklepios

• Settling In

• View Profile
Thank you for your insights.

May 04, 2011, 11:27:14 AM
Reply #143

Dancing_Crow

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Jai Guru Deva Om
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
A meaning of "mantra" is "mind-tool".

A goal of mantra recitation is to place these mind-tools in the "space between" thought. The place of no-mind.
"Allow the beauty and grace of what you love BE what you DO and KNOW."

May 04, 2011, 11:35:31 AM
Reply #144

the black elf

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
perfect DC!

never see yourself as the 3 party for full effect,just be with the mantra for full smooth effect & delivery.

July 10, 2011, 11:47:51 AM
Reply #145

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
Why is masturbation considered a "Sin" in the first place?  What is so wrong with self love and pleasure to the body?  Not saying that we should be addicted to every whim, but why do you consider it so wrong and sinful?

On that note, why should an overly sexual person avoid JUST the company of the opposite sex?  What is the magician in question is homosexual?  What then?

I'm not an expert but I've asked this question myself before. First, understand that the concept of "Sin" in the art of transcendence is different from the christian concept. Sin in the christian sense is an evil committed against God, whether it be defiance of some sort or just breaking one of His many laws. In Theurgy, which is essentially what this article is aiming for, the art of transcending the physical plane and becoming one with "The All", Sin is really not a word that should be used but if it must, I would define it as "slowing down the progress of transcendence and reverting back to the physical". With this in mind, most hardcore transcendental magicians and Yogi's refuse to take in any pleasures of the physical body, believing the pleasure of Spirit to be much greater. If one indulges in earthly pleasures, one will not transcend as high or as fast as one who abstains. This however, doesn't mean you can't enjoy what the Earth has to offer, only that you must first obtain a high level of Self Mastery before you should indulge in the Earthly- the reason for this should be obvious. If you can't control the desires of your body, than how can you rise above that which is physical?
However, with all the above said, this simply Theurgy and in no way has to be the only, end all path to eternal peace. If it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work for you. Perhaps you don't wish to transcend in the first place and only wish to see the divine in all of the universe, embracing the physical and working in harmony with it. So be it, your path is your own. But it can't be denied that self mastery over the body is essential to any magical workings in any system. When you can control your urges of sex, your will is more powerful in the mind of the universe and as a result your magic will have far reaching effects.
I hope this cleared some stuff up.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

July 11, 2011, 02:26:47 AM
Reply #146

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
Masturbation is not a sin unless you do it in bad way :D.

July 11, 2011, 02:52:05 AM
Reply #147

Jesse9209

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
In Hermetics masturbation is looked on negatively because it takes away the spiritual energies you need for the kundalini energy to rise up the spine. So it is seen as a sin because its wasting precious energy which is used to reach gnosis.

July 11, 2011, 02:53:55 AM
Reply #148

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
I remember they did eat it to get the energy back...

Bigger problem with masturbation is when you think on someone or something you should not or you simply know that stupid doctrine about losing energy (guess what, you don't lose energy if you masturbate and you don't know it, it's another Magickal infection)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:09:14 AM by Awakened »

January 19, 2012, 11:11:48 PM
Reply #149

Alastan

• Settling In

• View Profile
It seems to me that Japa practice is directly comparable to the concentration practices of psi practioners, save your not trying to move anything.

Is this correct?