Author Topic: "Call for a Familiar"  (Read 2387 times)

April 21, 2008, 06:52:11 AM
Read 2387 times

Enchantra

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    Veritas' Witch
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone,

Yes I'm still leaving but I just have one more thing I need advice on. OK, I cast this "Call For a Familiar" spell right, just a companion that I can relate to, talk to, to keep me from feeling lonely. Now, what I had in mind was a cat, in which the place where I got the spell from says they usually come in the form of your favorite animal.
    First I made my own spell, in which I would guess it's probably working because 1. I put alot of focus and emotion into it  and 2. I got strange noises and a storm (not saying I caused them) which I think contributed to my spell in some way. With all this happening I was pretty sure it would work because I've cast a successful (I think) familiar spell before, well not really cast but a longing for one.
    Just to make sure though, I searched the web for a particular spell and found the call a familiar spell, I wasn't gonna cast it that night because it was too dark outside(afraid of the dark). When I came in the house however, I cast it. Now, that afternoon when I used my own spell, right afterwards there was a fly that was buzzing around me. I had previously killed one of the same type (Horsefly) in the kitchen a few weeks ago, could this be it? I started wondering of course could he be my familiar? I tried to send it a telepathic thought telling it to get in my hand, it did not, so when it landed in the curtain, I grabbed the other end and smashed it lightly and it died and fell over. I could hear the crunchy noise!!! :-X
    Later when I came back in and cast the other spell, there he was again!!!! buzzing around my room, don't know how he got in the first place or why he keeps following me!!! That's when I started thinking that he could definitely be my familiar, I must say that I was rather disappointed( not that I want it to be a cliche or anything just that Cats represent hunters and noted for their Independence, don't need anyone, like me). The strange thing was that he would never come near me (I was telling myself that if he came too close I would kill him), all he did was circle around me and sat on the light thingie on the ceiling. I tried to send him another message to come to my hand, this time he came but never landed just flew right pass. So I waited for him to come back around and smacked him down.
    When I found him lying on the floor, I raised my foot to step on him and kill him dead, but I couldn't for nothing in the world, it just felt so wrong. So he just laid there, last night I re-read the focal meditation article and tried to do it the right way, I used to try to block out all thoughts.
    That morning when I got dressed, I seen the fly again zooming around my room, I was very impressed with it to survive beating after beating like that. When he landed on the ceiling I could tell he was hurt because he was...leaking. :(
    Today, I'm not at school b/c I got into a fight outside and on the bus. I want to wait for the girl to get out of school and fight her again but my mother says I should turn the other cheek. What do you think? Well anyways, the fly is right outside my room, on the ceiling, he hasn't moved a bit. I guess I would try to save as much energy as I can if I got tortured to death too.

Well, Do you think a fly could be my new familiar?  :confused:

April 21, 2008, 07:34:00 AM
Reply #1

ChezNips

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Teacher

• View Profile
I'd say that itd possible but not very probable at this point.
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

April 21, 2008, 08:12:42 AM
Reply #2

Enchantra

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    Veritas' Witch
    • View Profile
Yeah, you're right. My mom just killed him  :(  But I think he was already dead. He made no effort to get away. At least I did try to stall him some time... Today my cousin's Aunt Cat just died though...hmmm  :confused:  My mom thought she was talking about a cat when she called just a few minutes ago.

April 21, 2008, 08:28:40 AM
Reply #3

ChezNips

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Teacher

• View Profile
You also have to realize that the life span of a house fly is like 3 days.  You called him a horsefly though and if its what I am thinking, they are much bigger and here at least, they bite really bad.
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

April 21, 2008, 08:56:45 AM
Reply #4

Enchantra

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    Veritas' Witch
    • View Profile
yes, much bigger and yes they bite here too, but this one, no matter how much I beat him up he didn't try to bite! some familiars come and go as they please or only come to teach a magician or witch, etc. a certain lesson they need to learn.

April 21, 2008, 06:43:08 PM
Reply #5

Micky-P

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
I think more likely its just another fly of the same type, its not unusual to find lots of flies, since they breed like rabbits.

I may not have a very thorough working knowledge of familiars but what you've said sounds like a perfectly normal set of events that have just had non existent connections drawn between them, because you've convinced yourself so hard that the spell was going to work that you're attaching special meaning to normal situations.

Not to say that you cant gain a familiar, I just don't think this case is it.

(insert something suggesting knowledge and wit)

April 21, 2008, 07:29:03 PM
Reply #6

IsApOs

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
I believe that familiars, like a true guru, will only come when the aspirant is truly in need of one. Wiccan beliefs are that Familiars are incarnations of guides used in order to further one's development as a witch. They are not going to come simply because you are lonely and want something to talk to, that is what human friends are for. Therefore I honestly do not believe any spell is going to override the Will of Providence for such minuscule goals. I also believe the "telepathic connection" to a familiar is somewhat of a myth, if you cannot establish telepathy with a normal animal, let alone a human being, then there is no reason to believe that it can be achieved with a "special" animal.

To those who believe they NEED a guide or guru I urge you to read more. The best guide from a beginner-intermediate level is the written works of past masters. Books will have to keep you company until you have truly grasped such strong theoretical knowledge and practical know-how that you can easily find a guide in the other realms.

Namaste

April 22, 2008, 01:04:13 PM
Reply #7

Enchantra

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    Veritas' Witch
    • View Profile
IsApOs,

I've had a familiar before and I know what it is like to have one. And yes, the telepathic relationship thing is a little far fetched (when just starting out with them) but you can still tell deep down inside that you're not crazy and that they really do understand you.
Just because alot of people agree to something doesn't make it right.  :wink:
And yes you're right. All I can do is call for one, the choice is there's to come

April 23, 2008, 05:11:47 PM
Reply #8

Arinil

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Aspirant of the Wood
    • View Profile
And yes, the telepathic relationship thing is a little far fetched (when just starting out with them) but you can still tell deep down inside that you're not crazy and that they really do understand you.

The kind of familiars that I have dealt with are usually either a gift or created by a practitioner him/herself, and would not come and go on a whim. In fact, they would most likely be very intelligent or directly under your control... the fly was not a familiar if my senses are functional at all. Finding one because you don't want to be lonely probably won't be very successful, and looking up "spells" won't do you much good.

I suggest reading this page: http://forums.vsociety.net/topic/4833.0 if you're interested in spells,
along with this page: http://forums.vsociety.net/topic/4830.0 to clear up any misunderstandings you may have about their nature.
Whoever knows everything but himself, lacks everything. (Th 3)