Author Topic: Practical Runic Magic Class  (Read 26391 times)

March 19, 2008, 09:26:35 AM
Read 26391 times

Big Boss

• Posts By Osmosis

• Friggen Crazy

• Personal Text
    Owner of 100000 V-Points
    • View Profile
    • I'm a trendy blogger now.
A few people have expressed interest in knowing a bit more about the Runes and the underlying magic system. I'm currently compiling notes for a small lecture in the chat, followed shortly by a slightly more in-depth essay that I'll post in the forums.

There will be three main sections to the lesson (tentative at the moment):

-Identifying the Runes as a PRACTICAL toolset, not just for divination,
-Daily practice to help familiarize yourself with the Runes,
-General overview on how to apply the Runes towards a means for a goal.

For anyone interested, or if you have questions you would like answered in the lecture, please respond here.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:16:21 PM by Big Boss »
Join my Folding@Home team and do some good! #159490

Details at http://folding.stanford.edu/

March 19, 2008, 09:31:58 AM
Reply #1

Hech

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I'd like to sit in on that dude.

March 19, 2008, 09:36:06 AM
Reply #2

Jesse9209

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
So would I. Do you have any idea on the when?

I'm interested in how they work, I assume each rune has a force behind it its become connected with through repetion from its practicioners, however I dont have much experience so if you could go into that i'd appriciate it. But i'll take part either way.

March 19, 2008, 09:36:24 AM
Reply #3

Big Boss

• Posts By Osmosis

• Friggen Crazy

• Personal Text
    Owner of 100000 V-Points
    • View Profile
Oh, I suppose a tentative schedule would be in order...

If anyone in Europe wants to sit in, I'll have to hold it in the morning, which means I'm only available on the weekend. This Saturday and Sunday are good for me, otherwise, it's anytime after 5 PM Mountain time.

If anyone is opposed to this Saturday before noon Mountain Time, speak up, cause that might work really well for me.

March 19, 2008, 11:30:59 AM
Reply #4

Hech

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
You need to use EST.

March 19, 2008, 11:33:54 AM
Reply #5

ChezNips

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Teacher

• View Profile
that just means he cannot do classes before 7 pm for eastern time people.  I would think a better time for when everyone is around would be 9/10 for eastern time or 7/8pm for mountain.  I've very much looking forward to learning a lot more about runes and how to use them in magick and personal sigilization.
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

March 19, 2008, 11:35:38 AM
Reply #6

Big Boss

• Posts By Osmosis

• Friggen Crazy

• Personal Text
    Owner of 100000 V-Points
    • View Profile
o_O

Then before 2 PM Eastern Time on the weekends.

That's before 7 PM for you Brits.

:p

Or, on weekdays, exactly what -]Star{- said.

March 19, 2008, 05:00:31 PM
Reply #7

Raitaro

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Knight of Wands
    • View Profile
7PM on Sunday is great for me and I'd like to sit in.
The IneptInitiate
http://xkcd.com/303/
http://xkcd.com/123/

I got a hot girl and the coolest band I know. I gotta bad habbit of smoking before the show.
I got music I got friends I trust and love. I get into a lot of fights and now my knuckles are all fucked up.....

March 19, 2008, 05:51:56 PM
Reply #8

suiren

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    solve et coagula
    • View Profile
I would also love to sit in, but I have one quick question. Are you talking about the Elder Futhartk,the Younger, the futhorc, ogham  when writen on a short druim, the seax, or the uthark system?

March 19, 2008, 07:28:45 PM
Reply #9

Watchtower

• Posts By Osmosis

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    Contemplative Panentheist
    • View Profile
I doubt I'll be able to sit in, however I'm curious as to what approach you are taking.  Which rune set will you be going over (Elder, Younger, Anglo-Saxon, etc.), and how much of Norse culture, mythology and religion will be involved in the lesson?  How long have you been studying the runes?  Depending on times, I might be able to correspond with you and help out with such lessons in the future if you would like to collaborate, as I am also studying to become a runester and may have some things to offer.  I personally love the Norse magic systems, and this sounds like something I'd like to be a part of.  If you are not averse to the idea of a partner, that is.  :)

I'm interested in how they work, I assume each rune has a force behind it its become connected with through repetion from its practicioners, however I dont have much experience so if you could go into that i'd appriciate it. But i'll take part either way.

The runes represent more than just forces, they represent aspects of life.  Indeed, collectively the runes are a model of life.  Also keep in mind that the nuances of the rune's meanings are not universal, and the idea of the "causal sphere," where symbols gain power from repetition of association, is not part of Norse rune magic theory, and need not be accepted to use the runes in magic.  At its barest bones, stripping away all of the cultural meat and deeper mysteries that can be found, it is a form of sigil magic.

*EDIT*  I might be able to show up Sunday before 2pm EST.  This Sunday is iffy, most Sundays are usually fine.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 08:21:26 PM by Watchtower »
"For no matter how holy works may be, they do not make us holy because we do them, but in so far as we within ourselves are as we should be, we make holy all that we do, whether it be eating, or sleeping, or working, or what it may."

-Eckhart von Hochheim

March 19, 2008, 08:52:45 PM
Reply #10

Big Boss

• Posts By Osmosis

• Friggen Crazy

• Personal Text
    Owner of 100000 V-Points
    • View Profile
I would also love to sit in, but I have one quick question. Are you talking about the Elder Futhartk,the Younger, the futhorc, ogham  when writen on a short druim, the seax, or the uthark system?

This will focus on the Elder Futhark.

Which rune set will you be going over (Elder, Younger, Anglo-Saxon, etc.), and how much of Norse culture, mythology and religion will be involved in the lesson?  How long have you been studying the runes?

Yeah, Elder Futhark. I don't plan on adding TOO much of the cultural aspect. A general overview of the origins of the runes will suffice for the scope of the class. I may also make some very generalized ties to other magic systems.

How long have I been studying? When it comes to the runes with any devotion, one month, but I've been studying various paradigms for several years now, and runes off and on again for about a year and a half now. Due to my lack of long-term experience, I don't really feel qualified to teach anything other than a beginner's approach and general overview. Since we only have one article on the Runes here,(though it is a good article and it gave me my start) I would simply like to add what I can.

I'm completely open to the idea of tag-teaming this. :)

March 20, 2008, 04:28:55 PM
Reply #11

ChezNips

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Teacher

• View Profile
I would hope that lack of experience or lack of confidence on your part because you've only spent a short time on runes will not make you change your mind M_T.  I think a general over view of what you do can be enlightening to many people and its a refreshing newness to a community that needs an injection of something new and different.  So I encourage anyone that wants to do lectures, articles, classes, etc to give a thought to this.  Remember it not only helps other people but sharing your path helps you grow as soul/person too!
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

March 20, 2008, 06:38:11 PM
Reply #12

suiren

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    solve et coagula
    • View Profile
I can cover a lot on the combination of the frisian ingwas with berkano, as well as the halagas of the younger futhark from a semi-geometric model, If anybody wants to hear it. Those three runes have been my main focus. I could probably get two pages typed on it if I really stretched it, any takers? That's about all I can contribute for now. I am looking forward to the class.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 06:47:18 PM by suiren »

March 21, 2008, 07:51:19 AM
Reply #13

Big Boss

• Posts By Osmosis

• Friggen Crazy

• Personal Text
    Owner of 100000 V-Points
    • View Profile
I can cover a lot on the combination of the frisian ingwas with berkano, as well as the halagas of the younger futhark from a semi-geometric model, If anybody wants to hear it. Those three runes have been my main focus. I could probably get two pages typed on it if I really stretched it, any takers? That's about all I can contribute for now. I am looking forward to the class.

I would like to hear what you know on the subject, but as far as the scope of the class is concerned, I would like to shy away from specifics. I don't plan on going through each and every rune and giving a small lecture on the many forms and thoughts it represents, rather, I hope to give those that are interested a means to find out for themselves.

So, tentatively speaking, March 30th in the #Vmeta channel at 2 PM Eastern Time, 7 PM GMT, 11 AM West Coast is the time that this will happen.

March 21, 2008, 10:41:24 AM
Reply #14

suiren

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    solve et coagula
    • View Profile
I'm on spring break, so I'll post something up in the  Theories, Articles, and Philosophy section. I'm looking forward to seeing your approach. Also, for the people who can't make the time, why not post the log? That should make the time restriction thing much easier to resolve.