Author Topic: nephilim  (Read 7448 times)

March 10, 2008, 03:28:57 PM
Read 7448 times

zeon

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    feast upon atlantis and see the dirt we stand on
    • View Profile
alright people, i have notced the enlonged skull on nephilim (now i dont know if you guys are into this stuff but yea), and i was wondering if because their enlonged skull they would of had stronger or even impossible psychic abilities?
The two greatest flaws of humanity..

1. humans have a tendency to always take the hard way.

2.we always ask the wrong questions.

March 10, 2008, 03:33:30 PM
Reply #1

LaVelle

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    If I don't find the truth, then who will?
    • View Profile
I just going to guess, because of them having a large skull, you think that their brain may be bigger and with that enchancing their psychic ability, honesty, I don't know. Maybe.
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it.

March 10, 2008, 04:11:53 PM
Reply #2

MumtazG38

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    - Thou shallt google thine self -
    • View Profile
well, if your just basing it on the size of the scull....I highly doubt it seeing as psychic ability comes from something other than the cranium as far as I know. The size or capacity of the brain really doesn't have all that much to do with psi and such. Although, it can help to be generally smarter or just have more knowledge than average...a bigger IQ never hurt anyone. But based solely on the size of a scull....I wouldn't think so.

Actually.....I think I read somewhere that cave men had much larger sized sculls than ours.....but that doesn't make them any smarter or anymore capable than us to perform psionic acts. After all, they were cave men... :rolleyes:
Sir Robert:I'm sorry,Mum. It's all my fault.I should've sent you away.I tried to suggest something was wrong.I thought you might notice.Did you think there was nothing strange about my household staff?
The Doctor:Well,they were bald, athletic...your wife's away,I just thought you were happy

March 10, 2008, 05:03:50 PM
Reply #3

Orthas

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Archivist

• Personal Text
    Page of Cups
    • View Profile
If brain size affected psionic acts then men would be better at magic than women, since men have physically larger brains on average.
“And you shall drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste.” -Almustafa, Garden of the Prophet.

Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

March 10, 2008, 05:14:29 PM
Reply #4

LaVelle

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
If brain size affected psionic acts then men would be better at magic than women, since men have physically larger brains on average.
Please, dont start none, and it wont be none.
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it.

March 10, 2008, 05:24:20 PM
Reply #5

Orthas

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Archivist

• Personal Text
    Page of Cups
    • View Profile
I really don't understand what your comment means Lavelle, care the expand on it?
“And you shall drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste.” -Almustafa, Garden of the Prophet.

March 10, 2008, 05:43:12 PM
Reply #6

zpo

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile

True from what I learned in school.  But you need to add that the number of neurons are the same.  Men have more blood vessels in the brain to help cool it during intense bursts of physical activity, which is why its larger.  Same reason men have larger lungs, to recover from intense bursts of activity.  Men have more gray matter, women have more white matter, women survive cold longer, men are more comfortable in a wider range of temps, and tons of other stuff.  Men and women are different period.  Not the same as in equal.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:46:31 PM by zpo »

March 10, 2008, 05:45:34 PM
Reply #7

LaVelle

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I really don't understand what your comment means Lavelle, care the expand on it?
I'm just saying that saying male's brains are bigger than female's brains, is kinda like starting an argument with boys and girls. I'm just saying if you don't start anything, than there wont be anything.

March 10, 2008, 06:06:16 PM
Reply #8

Redefine

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
people get mixed up between equal, as in dignity and rights. and equal, as in the same, and capable of the same things.

men and women are equal in dignity and rights, but obvious physiological differences mean they are capable of different things...period
On a concrete road to recovery
cause I'm knocking over every cone
in front of me.

March 10, 2008, 08:01:11 PM
Reply #9

Orthas

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Archivist

• Personal Text
    Page of Cups
    • View Profile
I was never actually intending to imply anything from the comment, it was merely an observation.  I have not seen a study into the differences in magical ability between men and women, but if there is a distinction in terms of the strength of the effect, it is clearly not noticeable on every day levels.  The point of the comment was to give an example where brain size and physic ability are not noticeably linked, possibly not at all, to show Zeon that a larger brain and physic ability do not go hand in hand.

It is possible that there is a gender difference in magical technique, again something I have not seen a study into.  However I would expect any difference to arise from the psychological and not physical differences in the minds of men and women.   It is also reasonably possible that there may not be any differences in magical practice between gender, but I would expect some arising from the different ways in which men and women remember things [1][2].  Assuming that there is a difference in the style of magical practice, I would point out that neither practice form would be 'better' over all, but rather one style would be more suitable than the other depending on the gender of the practitioner.

I have no personal opinion that either men or women are superior, merely that they are different.  Without proof either way in the field of magic, I cannot say that there is no difference in ability, but I think that until an example is shown to the contrary we should assume that men and women are equals in this field.

[1] ~ Scott. Moffata, Hampsona and Maria Hatzipantelisa 1999 Sex Differences and Correlation With Psychometric Measures of Spatial Ability in Humans
[2] ~ Galea, L.A.M. and Kimura, D., 1993. Sex differences in route-learning. Personality and Individual Differences 14, pp. 53–65
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 08:09:08 PM by Orthas »

March 10, 2008, 08:05:26 PM
Reply #10

XIII

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• B̮̜̳̲͕ͦ̍͟ͅe̡̋̈́ͬ̐ả̬̹̳̼̫̜̟͂͛ͣû̓͑̚t̀̉҉̤y̌͂

• View Profile
No. Larger skull != better psychic abilities. Bigger brain != better psychic abilities.
And nephilim = don't exist.
<@kobok> And if you push hard enough, you can shove quite a lot into a chicken.

<@Trowa> When someone told him to jump off a cliff, he argued the semantic meanings of "jump" and "cliff", and then proceeded to do just that.

March 10, 2008, 08:57:10 PM
Reply #11

MumtazG38

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
okay people....like Duda said.....best to put a stop to this thing all together before it gets out of hand. These things usually lead to those pointless 18-19 page topics about absolutely nothing that everyone ends up wondering (wtf) about.

For example:
Joe: Men have larger brains then women.
Jane: I agree Joe, mens' brains do seem somewhat larger than womens' brains. But I insist that you not include the empty air filling it up as actual mass while carrying out your measurements.
Jenny: Yes Jane. IMO you are absolutely correct. Obviously only a empty-headed, insensitive, sexist would make such an overwhelmingly idiotic statement.
Jack: Hey, hey now ladies, lets not gang up on the poor bloke. He was only stating a scientifically proven fact. I'm sure he certainly did not mean it as any sort of a sexist statement. He didn't say anything about how having a larger brain makes men smarter than women, now did he.
Jenny: Yes but you clearly just did. Hey look Jane, it's Joe the prosimian and his anthropoid friend Jack to the rescue. Isn't that the cutest thing you ever did see? Two pathetic air heads here to save the day for all the poor sexists in the world.
Jane: Oh yes Jenny, it is wonderful isn't it? Of course it most likely did take the brain power of both of them to form the actual words in each sentence. It is nice to see how even insensitive pigs can work together in such ways.
Joe: Listen ladies, I had no intention of sparking the feminist rally fire here. I was only stating a simple fact we all have learned about in school. It had nothing to do with saying anyone is any smarter than anyone else.
Jared: Okay now ladies, lets not let this get out of hand here. It would just be better to drop this topic right here and now and move on with our lives, please.
Jane: Oh look Jenny, they're all ganging up on us now. He even went as far as to threaten my life in that very last sentence. That does it Jen, I think this situation has gotten out of hand, we need to call for backups.
Jenny: Yes Jane, I have called all of my girlfriends...I feel it would be appropriate if you did the same.
Jane: Yes.
Jared: Woah, Jane...I did not threaten-*gets cut off by a mob of angry pms'ing feminists screaming loudly and incoherently*
Mob: SEXISTS-PIGS-DIRT-SCUM-MUST ALL BURN-MUST ALL DIE-KILL THEM-KILL THEM ALL-KILL THE PATHETIC NEANDERTHALS-MUST KILL SEXIST BEASTS-WILL BURN ALIVE-DON'T DESERVE TO LIVE-WILL KILL IN THEIR SLEEP-MUST KILL EMPTY HEADED IGNORANT WOMEN BEATERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No_one_in_particular: *silence*
Jane: That's 3 more for the collection.
Jenny: Now now Jane, you mustn't be so cruel. The last one is mine and you know it!
Mob: *screaming loudly and incoherently from a distance*

If you have gotten anything at all from the above dramatization, I suggest we stop this in it's tracks before it gets anymore serious. Thank you.
Sir Robert:I'm sorry,Mum. It's all my fault.I should've sent you away.I tried to suggest something was wrong.I thought you might notice.Did you think there was nothing strange about my household staff?
The Doctor:Well,they were bald, athletic...your wife's away,I just thought you were happy

March 10, 2008, 09:16:18 PM
Reply #12

Orthas

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Archivist

• Personal Text
    Page of Cups
    • View Profile
Mumtaz I believe you will see that the post I made was to nothing to do with one gender being superior to the other, in-fact it was a way of showing with a clear example that magic and brain size are not linked.  I dislike the fact that some people want to discredit my example based on the assumption that it 'could' spark an irrelevant debate, one should not stray from something from fear of the ignorant.

If the thread is indeed derailed then a mod will put it back on course, but I think the last two posts should show that a) XIII was talking in topic and b) I removed any suggestion of gender superiority in my position.

I have no personal opinion that either men or women are superior, merely that they are different.

March 10, 2008, 09:39:40 PM
Reply #13

MumtazG38

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Orthas, you have nothing to worry about as I didn't mean the above post for you. It was simply directed only generally. No names, no pointing fingers. I do not mean to offend anyone with the above post, only to remind everyone the possible consequences in a moderately comedic way. I will say this again for anyone who may take the post a bit personally in the future, me-no-hurt-you, you-no-bad-guy. :D

Again, sorry to have offended anyone. :)

March 11, 2008, 03:37:37 AM
Reply #14

solstice

• Posts By Osmosis

• Dreamwalker

• Personal Text
    "Receive and transmit..."
    • View Profile
Zoen, the Nephelim were a group of angels, out of the Book of Enoch, whom were cast out of Heaven.  Unless you somehow found a fossil of their bodies, then I dont see how you can comment on skill sizes.

And nephilim = don't exist.
Arent you one of the Hermetics people?  If so, then you are a total hypocrite for saying that.
Tell all the Truth but tell it slant: Success in Circuit lies.  Too bright for our infirm Delight. The Truth's superb surprise. As Lightning to the Children eased, with explanation kind.  The Truth must dazzle gradually, or every man be blind.
Tefeari: The Giant Impact Hypothesis is a theory