Poll

Are You practicing the Steps in Initiaion into Hermetics?

Yes, very strictly.
46 (15.5%)
Yes, mixed with my other practices.
112 (37.8%)
Kinda, of and on again.
53 (17.9%)
No, it doesn't fit with me.
49 (16.6%)
No, What is IIH?
28 (9.5%)
No, don't have the time.
8 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 296

Author Topic: Who is Practicing the IIH?  (Read 569251 times)

vladimir007 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

December 02, 2014, 04:35:33 PM
Reply #645

Searcher

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Yes they bite😈
    • View Profile
Each sections timing was down to how I felt but I only did it once a day and each built on the one before as I moved forward.

1. Single thought relaxation
2. Blank thought relaxation
3. Energy inhalation and pore breathing, including auto suggestion
4. Focal meditation passed the self hypnotic stage
5. Create object in mind
6. Create sound in mind
7. Create smell in mind
8. Create feeling
9. Create taste
10. Join 5 to 9 together in a scene
11. Release of energy

Yes I'm moving on passed stage 1 but my action 3 comes before focal meditation!
We can look but do we see and we can listen but do we hear? So what gets in the way?
👂u have to say because I don't do hints👂

December 05, 2014, 12:41:02 PM
Reply #646

turbostrat9

• Settling In

• View Profile
Just a quick question on the focus meditation in stage one. Should I be focusing on ideas centered around a central theme, or should I simply repeat a thought like a mantra?

December 05, 2014, 12:49:31 PM
Reply #647

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
A central theme. You pick an idea and expand it without slipping to different topics.

December 05, 2014, 01:11:16 PM
Reply #648

turbostrat9

• Settling In

• View Profile
Thank you Akenu.
I have studied samatha mediation for over a year, and I'm finding step one fairly easy based on my past experience. I have never worked on visualization, so I expect 2 and 3 to be much harder. I'm going to give each meditation in step one 2 weeks.   

December 05, 2014, 06:28:03 PM
Reply #649

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
So I'm not being overly optimistic about trying to spend about a month on each of the mental exercises?
Don't decide beforehand how much time you think it will take. Take as much time as is needed to reach the objective set out by Bardon.

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

December 16, 2014, 08:36:11 AM
Reply #650

turbostrat9

• Settling In

• View Profile
So I have started the emptiness of mind exercise. I keep getting these very subtle thoughts, all related to the practice. "I'm sensing emptiness", "i need to focus more" etc.  :headwall: Any advice on how to stop very subtle thoughts?

December 16, 2014, 08:48:10 AM
Reply #651

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
So I have started the emptiness of mind exercise. I keep getting these very subtle thoughts, all related to the practice. "I'm sensing emptiness", "i need to focus more" etc.  :headwall: Any advice on how to stop very subtle thoughts?

This actually isn't automatic, just admit you are being a prick to yourself and it will fade away. I had the same problem, it really is just a form of self-trolling.

December 16, 2014, 09:10:39 AM
Reply #652

Iatros

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile

This actually isn't automatic, just admit you are being a prick to yourself and it will fade away. I had the same problem, it really is just a form of self-trolling.

Agreed. Recognize that these thoughts achieve the opposite of their intentions, and do not get caught up in them. I DO think that it is automatic for these to go away; as you practice you will gradually break the habit of producing unintentional thoughts by practicing this meditation.

You should also realize that an early effect of practice is to begin noticing more of your mental activity which would otherwise be ignored. It may seem like your mind is more restless at times than before you started practicing, as a side-effect. This stage is usually followed by good progress, as you begin to actually silence a mind that you have largely been fighting to become aware of until this point.

Then, when these first subtle thoughts go, you will become aware of even subtler ones, or of the mental energies which precede concrete thoughts. Recognize these changes that take place over time so that you can see your progress and adapt your practice accordingly to what becomes an increasingly unique experience.
"And in this lies my honour and my reward, - / That whenever I come to the fountain to drink I find the living water itself thirsty; / And it drinks me while I drink it." - Almustafa

December 16, 2014, 09:12:38 AM
Reply #653

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Emptying the mind to the point of no thoughts comes with practice. It is a skill. As Akenu said, it is not automatic.

Just keep practicing. When the thoughts come, ignore them and continue trying to focus on no thoughts. If you haven't already done so, you could try single point focal meditation, where you pick a single object/thought to focus on until you reach a state of thinking of just that one focal point without being led away by distractions, and then just remove that focal point.

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

December 16, 2014, 10:30:07 AM
Reply #654

Searcher

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Yes they bite😈
    • View Profile
Just a line to agree with the others, you have to earn the right to have an empty mind and the price is practice.

Everybody has initial problems in this area, I was taught to accept/recognise the distraction and then to give it little importance and push it away. If you get really stuck try giving nothing a brighter light and what keeps interrupting a darker light, you can now push away the dark light (into black and disappear) and bring the empty forward by making it brighter until it is you (this is a good practice anyway)

Searcher
We can look but do we see and we can listen but do we hear? So what gets in the way?

December 16, 2014, 10:33:27 AM
Reply #655

Tradition

• View Profile
Can you elaborate on "pushing away the dark light", Searcher?

December 16, 2014, 10:40:13 AM
Reply #656

Searcher

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Yes they bite😈
    • View Profile
I'm not trying to be funny but it is practice, practice, practice. By using dark and light your focusing in on what your doing, you can also use big and small? Barton builds on what you've already learnt 'focal' meditation, Regarda does the same but in a more complex manor.

December 17, 2014, 05:23:06 AM
Reply #657

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
Yeah, one more thing, Bardon recommends to have prayer beads to track a number of mistakes during the meditation. I personally have made my own prayer beads based on this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv4up0y9FUE
It is cheap and it works great.

June 03, 2015, 02:00:20 AM
Reply #658

FaerieMan

• View Profile
I love Bardon's works. I use IIH (etc) as a practical guide, just remove the hermetic ethics (I.e. “a real magician would never...etc"). I've never used PME/KTTTK in practice. But I like the tool info in PME. I've read the recently “discovered" Bardon book the universal master key. I have serious doubts about it being written by Bardon due to some extremely contradictory statements it makes that go against the 3 known books. But that's just my opinion.

October 17, 2015, 12:43:15 AM
Reply #659

Kemetin

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
just remove the hermetic ethics (I.e. “a real magician would never...etc").

Why? It's been a long time since I've read IIH through, but all of the ethical advice in it seemed pretty solid to me.