Poll

Are You practicing the Steps in Initiaion into Hermetics?

Yes, very strictly.
46 (15.5%)
Yes, mixed with my other practices.
112 (37.8%)
Kinda, of and on again.
53 (17.9%)
No, it doesn't fit with me.
49 (16.6%)
No, What is IIH?
28 (9.5%)
No, don't have the time.
8 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 296

Author Topic: Who is Practicing the IIH?  (Read 569245 times)

vladimir007 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

November 29, 2010, 05:35:54 PM
Reply #180

Pursuit of Knowledge

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
You can buy a soft-copy from Amazon, but the hard-copies will set you back if you get one brand new. I bought mine a year or two ago for $150, still factory-sealed in plastic. If it were any other book I wouldn't have done it, but for the sake of it being the IIH and a core book of Hermetic practice, I thought it was justified.
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart ~old Indian saying

Do not comfort yourself by failing less than your peers. If you fall short of ideal target feel comforted, if short of realistic target work harder. ~Raitaro

November 29, 2010, 09:14:38 PM
Reply #181

c0nfus3d

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    It is what It is
    • View Profile
I have come accross the 170-page softcopy (PDF) and the 357-page one of the IIH by Franz Bardon. There is no doubt in my mind that the latter is more valuable than the previously mentioned which leaves me wondering if both copies give the same amount of learning in terms of practice? And what would make the latter copy more valuable -- more content? more explanation? Illustrations? (Havent made a thorough scan of the 2001 Merkur Edition)

The only answer I could think of is that the 1987 Edition is more straightforward and that conforms with its own time of publishing. The same could be said for the 2001 Edition (357 pages) which caters the modern aspirants of which cares to elaborate more than its predecessor?

Either that or I made no exact conclusion.
Everybody lies.

November 30, 2010, 05:47:24 AM
Reply #182

Mindlessinvalid

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Crazy and Can't Get out of Bed
    • View Profile
some copies include include commentaries, that doesn't necessarily make it more valuable.

It's just stuff written by other people to interpret the work.
Clothes make the man, and naked people have little or no say in society.

November 30, 2010, 11:46:15 AM
Reply #183

Kichara

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Row, Row, Row Your Boat
    • View Profile
    • Check it Out.
It's just stuff written by other people to interpret the work.

Yeah, sometimes those other people are Adepts. So I think it does make it more valuable :P

I say the hardcopy is more valuable because every hardcopy I have read has been better at conveying the ideas of the book and the practices than the electronic copies I have read.

I would never pay $150 for it, though. I just got the, I think, $25 paperback from Merkur. I have also read an older translation that I liked aswell.
Hey, whats up?

Please vote in my poll:
http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=12212.0

December 07, 2010, 03:00:34 PM
Reply #184

trismegistos

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    www.thedivinescience.org
    • View Profile
Here's the e-book for you guys,  I would advise you buy the actual copy though, a used more original one is what I prefer, because I just feel like used magic/mysticism/occult books have a sort of energy to them from passing through the hands of different aspirants.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/301820/Initiation-into-Hermetics-by-Franz-Bardon

December 11, 2010, 08:47:44 AM
Reply #185

Melchizedek

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
I found a guy on YouTube who recorded the entire IIH and posted video/audio of IT.

http://www.youtube.com/user/frabatothemagician#p/u/95/-7lOLBFQr04

December 12, 2010, 03:11:07 PM
Reply #186

Lleu

• Settling In

• View Profile
I will start soon. Once finals get over. Blarg. Working on weakening a couple bad habits in the mean time.

December 19, 2010, 07:36:18 PM
Reply #187

superzeno

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
You know franz bardon IIH is similar to some of Crowely works, Which of them would be be better in their own way like, which have the best theories or which have better practices

January 12, 2011, 06:57:50 PM
Reply #188

Aunt Clair

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
    • River of Enlightenment
Crowley requires more discernment. His works are credible but tainted. He went off on a hedonistic plunge into the dark night of the soul.

And Uncle Al did not leave a natural progression of steps like Bardon. I would suggest work with IIH and then read Crowley and when you do , read his works concerning the Hexagram Rituals and read about his black cube , and knowledge and communication with the Guardian Angel and Higher Self.

Uncle Al relates a cosmology of the soul which can be confirmed and he relates a cosmology of the realms which has some golden nuggets within it because he wrote about topics no other author broached.

But he was limited by his hedonism.  And that path's ideas about the Dark Watcher are foolish and fear ridden. The Guardian Angel and the Guardian Demon are aspects of our own soul , so is the Dark Watcher.

Crowley's cronies advocate sacrifices of blood, urine and bread to satiate the Dark Watcher. But the Dark Watcher is the aspect of the magician's own soul that brings the Dark Night of the Soul when they descend too far. It is a fail-safe, a stop-gap measure which makes the magician ascend again or destroy themselves in insanity ,depression, hedonism or death. Stopping further descension prevents a rapid decline in vibration by that one vessel or life which could harm the entire monad and group soul and all of us.

Crowley has brilliant truths which are worth a read but there is so much filth too. Bardon harms none and teaches a path that is logical and sequential and possible to follow.
.......~*~Love, Light & Laughter~*~
~*~Meditation & Mysticism is Magick!~*~

January 17, 2011, 08:29:25 PM
Reply #189

epikdude

• View Profile
Yes, I'm practicing Step 1. :biggrin:

January 19, 2011, 09:33:24 AM
Reply #190

Melchizedek

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
The whole point to doing the exercises in IIH comes down to one thing. Mastering the 4 elements. If you can grasp this concept, then the entire book is child's play. If you can't then you will spend many years wondering what's the point to doin these exercises.
Even if you havn't even opened up this book, if you just contemplate the idea that all your behaviours, good and bad come out of the fact that you have accumalated in your spirit, your body too much of one or more of the elements, on the  neagtive side of the element, then the entire book will appear as easy as taking kindergarden classes.

If you examine any of your behaviour traits if you can follow your intuitive nature, visualize fire, air water and earth, you can mentally trace all your character traits back to an excess of one or more, of the four elements in your spirit/astral body.

See this and you will have mastered this entire book in 2 seconds

Also meditate on the fact that all the secrets to this magical system are contained in the Great Pyramid of Giza

If you do this, the enitre book will become easier and easier and you will be given the ability to do all the exercises effortlessly.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:10:41 AM by Melchizedek »

January 19, 2011, 10:09:59 AM
Reply #191

Kichara

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Row, Row, Row Your Boat
    • View Profile
    • Check it Out.
You know franz bardon IIH is similar to some of Crowely works, Which of them would be be better in their own way like, which have the best theories or which have better practices

Go with the IIH. Crowley has very good and specific practices and method, but he was not a fan of fools who thought they knew better than they did, and so he made mistakes less forgiving than Bardon does.

His works are credible but tainted. He went off on a hedonistic plunge into the dark night of the soul.

Strange that a "hedonist" can read the Tao te ching and be so uplifted in it that he levitates and shines gold before knocking everyone in the room out with his expanding consciousness.

I doubt he would ever have you call him "Uncle" either. Especially since you seem to know almost nothing about him.

The whole point to doing the exercises in IIH comes down to one thing. Mastering the 4 elements.

I completely disagree.

Hey, whats up?

Please vote in my poll:
http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=12212.0

January 19, 2011, 11:11:58 AM
Reply #192

Melchizedek

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile

The whole point to doing the exercises in IIH comes down to one thing. Mastering the 4 elements.

I completely disagree.

Take a look at the cover of IIH, the first tarot card. This entire book can be summed up in this one picture. It symbolizes the magician as being in perfect harmony with the Akasha principle,symbolized by the bubble above the magician's head, with the male and female principle embracing connecting to the Akasha, through the mastery of the four elements

The male and female principle being symbolized as the positive and negative of the elements, in the form of the man and woman on earth, coming together in balance in the form of the hermphodite{mastering the positive and negative aspects of the elements)and also the electric and magnetic fluids, which come about through mastery of the elements. The ability to develop magic powers, which comes about through mastery of the four elements. The ability to develop powers of visualization, which comes about through mastery of the four elements. The ability to transmute your consiousness, which comes about through the mastery of the four elements. The ability to seperate your consiousness from your physical body, which comes about through mastery of the four elements. the ability to have harmony between the physical and astral body, which comes about through mastery of the four elements. The ability to charge magical implments, which comes about through the mastery of the four elements. The ability to infleunce objects to have magical properties, which comes about through the mastery of the four elements.

This is why you have the picture of the magician surrounded by the four elements coming out of his head with the akasha principle, because everything about starting this book begins and ends with the mastery of the four elements, through the balancing of the positive and negative aspects of the four elements, represneted by the man and woman. Without it, you have nothing

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:45:42 AM by Melchizedek »

January 20, 2011, 12:20:48 AM
Reply #193

Dea

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
Mastering the four elements is one of the goals. The whole point is union with the Godhead, which is why it's the last step of the book.

January 20, 2011, 07:43:07 AM
Reply #194

Jesse9209

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
Mastery of the elements is sought so that the magician rises through the illusion of the world towards God not as many mystics do hiding from the world, but as a master of the world who is then free to unite with God withouot the desires and temptations of the world holding him down.