Author Topic: I saw the "Haunted Painting" in my dreams  (Read 3764 times)

January 30, 2008, 01:40:18 PM
Read 3764 times

powdered

• View Profile
Hi all;)

I was born with a syndrome witch stimulates brain activity in REM sleep. This causes(as a side affect) me to experience strange and sometimes disturbing dreams that are always very vivid. Most are nightmares or simply abstract thoughts. But last week was a different case.

I dreamt that i was walking, alone, through an art gallery. All of the exhibits were empty, empty frames hanging on walls. However, when i reached the top floor i found one painting. It depicted a child who looked far older than he was, with a quiet bitterness in his face. Next to him was a lifesize doll, with hollowed eyes. They both stood on a porch. The door behind them was made of glass and many childrens' hands were pressed against the glass, however there was no light from the house giving the hands a "dis-embodied" look. For reasons un-known to me, this painting disturbed me and i awoke.

Half a week later, i discovered the painting i had seen on wikipedia. Perhaps you already know what it is. It was the painting by Bill Stoneham known as "The Hands Resist Him".
The painting's supposedly haunted backstory does not interest me. But i need some answers.
Why did I dream of a painting i have never seen before? Why one of such a dark profile? Why does the painting apppear in my dreams yet it does not affect me like it affects others?(some have reportedly been sick or reduced to tears at the mere sight of it). Why was it the only painting in my "gallery"?

Please reply quick, I am intrigued to know if this is of any significance. Perhaps it has happened with others? Does it have anything to do with my condition?

January 30, 2008, 01:44:08 PM
Reply #1

Raitaro

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Knight of Wands
    • View Profile
The IneptInitiate
http://xkcd.com/303/
http://xkcd.com/123/

I got a hot girl and the coolest band I know. I gotta bad habbit of smoking before the show.
I got music I got friends I trust and love. I get into a lot of fights and now my knuckles are all fucked up.....

January 30, 2008, 02:15:11 PM
Reply #2

solstice

• Posts By Osmosis

• Dreamwalker

• Personal Text
    "Receive and transmit..."
    • View Profile
I was born with a syndrome witch stimulates brain activity in REM sleep.
Your syndrome is called being a mammalian vertebrate?  Our brains are more active while we dream, then when we are awake.
Tell all the Truth but tell it slant: Success in Circuit lies.  Too bright for our infirm Delight. The Truth's superb surprise. As Lightning to the Children eased, with explanation kind.  The Truth must dazzle gradually, or every man be blind.
Tefeari: The Giant Impact Hypothesis is a theory

January 31, 2008, 02:53:47 AM
Reply #3

powdered

• View Profile
I couldnt tell you the science of it. I've been told i simply have an abnormal level of activity. But i'm not particularly interested in that, i know very little about it.

February 08, 2008, 05:29:12 AM
Reply #4

The Jacket

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Just to the right side of wrong.
    • View Profile
Thats quite odd. I cant think of any reason for that.  It may have just been the suggestion that the painting was haunted, but at first looking at it I felt very errie. After reading about it and looking at it again, though, it didnt bother me.  I dont know why you saw it, but I'm fairly certain that the whole haunted thing is just a gimic.
Every thing you know is wrong! Only what you dont know is true. Surely then the wisest man is he who knows nothing! By knowing nothing, clearly you know everything that isn't, and therefore everything that is.

February 13, 2008, 02:38:51 PM
Reply #5

powdered

• View Profile
I see the whole haunted thing as a mere unlucky coincidence

I find it strange that i dream of a painting that i have never seen before, yet i did not find it disturbing when i found it on wikipedia. I was disturbed in the dream but nowhere else. Has anyone ever had a similar experience?

February 13, 2008, 03:32:15 PM
Reply #6

BohmaN

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
I have had similar experiences with precognitive/clairvoyant dreams (yours is probably a clairvoyant dream), however not quite as significant as your case. I have had 6 precognitive/clairvoyant dreams the last 6 months. They are startling and exciting expaeriences indeed. What it means that you saw a haunted painting I can not answer.

March 07, 2008, 06:40:36 AM
Reply #7

MumtazG38

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    - Thou shallt google thine self -
    • View Profile
okay....is it just me or is this painting not creepy at all in the very least? Why would people think it's haunted, it doesn't even have the look of a possibly haunted painting for god's sake. And the disembodied hands on the window....they actually kind of give me a calm feeling.....a sort of awwwww look at those little hands...how cute kinda feeling. If this is weird...sorry, but yeah. Not creepy.....thats my 2 cents.
Sir Robert:I'm sorry,Mum. It's all my fault.I should've sent you away.I tried to suggest something was wrong.I thought you might notice.Did you think there was nothing strange about my household staff?
The Doctor:Well,they were bald, athletic...your wife's away,I just thought you were happy

March 07, 2008, 09:53:48 AM
Reply #8

Merlock

• Settling In

• View Profile
Well, you really can never be too certain of what you have or haven't seen. You may very well have seen the painting head on and forgotten it or witnessed it so briefly you didn't even realise it was there, etc., but the mind stores everything.

And as for it feeling ominous, I can see how it can be if it were to be seen on a large scale, life-size or even larger. Then the darkness of the window would cover more space and the detail would be greater. Especially given how dreams aren't visual but rather made up of conceptual thought, thus allowing for the greatest level of detail possible dependent only on the vividity of recall. Unlike the small image on the Wikipedia page, which doesn't relay nearly enough detail from the painting to really appreciate/analyse/fear it.

And lastly, concerning precognitive dreams, I can only imagine one would happen with the feeling of deja vu associated with it.
But since in the dream the painting was framed and on a wall in a gallery while the supposedly "first" time you've seen it in the wake was on Wikipedia (not an identical situation or sight), I would imagine that the true first time you've ever seen it must not have been in the dream but before it.
Names don't matter. What's important is how you live your life.

April 23, 2008, 08:40:24 AM
Reply #9

powdered

• View Profile
I would agree

To me this makes the most sense, that i have glanced at the said picture before and never fully focused on it and has been stored in my subconscious

have not had any similar experiences since but i am very interrested that it is seen as clairvoyant. I will certainly be posting any further experiences here

thank you all for your helpful insight

April 25, 2008, 04:38:39 PM
Reply #10

Orthas

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Archivist

• Personal Text
    Page of Cups
    • View Profile
The subconcious can bring up completely random things in a dream, I remember once spending time in a dream observing the way the light caught the grain in a piece of sandstone and that this theme was then picked up in other dreams later.  The whole thing was completely random and a pretty odd thing to concentrate on since the bit of wall wasn't even that interesting.

If you have seen the painting before then its not too odd, the fact you felt the painting clearly important enough to make the focus of the dream would suggest it might hold some meaning for you.  Pretty creepy looking painting by the way.
“And you shall drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste.” -Almustafa, Garden of the Prophet.

Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

May 28, 2008, 12:10:29 PM
Reply #11

Cheezee

• Posts By Osmosis

• YRAH!

• Personal Text
    Veritas Parlor Magician
    • View Profile
small comment about the picture: I do think it's really creepy, and it gives me a weird feeling looking at it. Creepy picture!