Author Topic: "Doomsday" Scenarios  (Read 2704 times)

January 21, 2008, 10:08:11 AM
Read 2704 times

Big Boss

• Posts By Osmosis

• Friggen Crazy

• Personal Text
    Owner of 100000 V-Points
    • View Profile
    • I'm a trendy blogger now.
Last night I was discussing with my Dad and brother what we would do if some abrupt cataclysmic event occured. It can be much of anything. Name a doomsday scenario and what you would do.

For instance, let's say for some reason, bombs destroyed many oil refineries in the middle east, causing a huge spike in gas prices, we're talking 300 to 500 dollars a barrel (or more). This effectively brings roadway distribution to a halt, making towns like mine completely barren. The inflation would be tremendous, no one could buy food, and if they could, it would run out of our one grocery store long before any delivery truck could bring more in. My dad suggested asking a cattle owner here if he could protect the cattle in exchange for food. That sounded good at first, but when I think about it, There are only a handful of prominent cattle owners here, how many people could actually be necessary to protect them from poachers? And how many of those poachers legitimately need the food?

I would leave. I'd head south, drive the last of the gas out of my car, then go on foot. I would either settle somewhere near a town in order to trade and have some communication, or I'd settle IN the town if I felt it was worth it. Most likely though, I'd be out of town, on a decent plot of land in order to grow enough food to survive. Then I would do alot of meditating. :p

Also, I probably would not hesitate to do something less-than-honorable in order to survive. I would steal a gun from a gun store, I would poach a cow if I had to. I'm generally a generous person, so it would likely be for more than just myself, but who knows what exactly I'd do in such a situation.

So anyway, that's my little scenario. What's yours?
Join my Folding@Home team and do some good! #159490

Details at http://folding.stanford.edu/

January 21, 2008, 10:31:52 AM
Reply #1

Raitaro

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Knight of Wands
    • View Profile
Okay....the goverments of every country in the world go to war and anarchy reigns as the citizens of each country rebel and stop the goverments attacking anything by sabotaging their army and missile silos.
 Looting and rioting run rife. What do I do? I walk down to the local super market with a machete and load up on food with friends and family then we move into one easily defensible house :)
The IneptInitiate
http://xkcd.com/303/
http://xkcd.com/123/

I got a hot girl and the coolest band I know. I gotta bad habbit of smoking before the show.
I got music I got friends I trust and love. I get into a lot of fights and now my knuckles are all fucked up.....

January 21, 2008, 10:46:52 AM
Reply #2

aaron108

• Settling In

• View Profile
rabbits launch a giant doomsday missile at Canada

January 21, 2008, 11:16:33 AM
Reply #3

Raitaro

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Knight of Wands
    • View Profile
Why? I luff Canada. Steve lives there.
The IneptInitiate
http://xkcd.com/303/
http://xkcd.com/123/

I got a hot girl and the coolest band I know. I gotta bad habbit of smoking before the show.
I got music I got friends I trust and love. I get into a lot of fights and now my knuckles are all fucked up.....

January 21, 2008, 11:18:46 AM
Reply #4

aaron108

• Settling In

• View Profile
fine.... they launch it at europe

January 21, 2008, 11:25:30 AM
Reply #5

Big Boss

• Posts By Osmosis

• Friggen Crazy

• Personal Text
    Owner of 100000 V-Points
    • View Profile
    • I'm a trendy blogger now.
aaron108 - Notice that I posted this in the Main Hall, not the Cafeteria. If you want to make worthless posts, do it there, not in a thread meant to be serious.
Join my Folding@Home team and do some good! #159490

Details at http://folding.stanford.edu/

January 21, 2008, 03:06:35 PM
Reply #6

CloakedxAdept

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    Shedding foolishness
    • View Profile
Say a meteor were to hit the Earth... All hell breaks loose, total chaos, the works. I would find a way to load up on food and other supplies, hijack a submarine and head for the bottom of the sea... 
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it". -Aristotle

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy is a man who is afraid of the light". -Plato

"Knowledge without wisdom is like a gun in the hand of a child." -Anon

January 21, 2008, 03:44:39 PM
Reply #7

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
The world will end billions from years now when the Sun expands and eventually explodes, if something else doesn't happen that we haven't yet foreseen, like aliens or a rogue planet colliding with it (aliens colliding with it is clearly doomsday...).
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

January 21, 2008, 03:48:46 PM
Reply #8

AB

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
either rabbits decide to off us or that fat old guy in north korea decides that if he dies we die... i would probably die, due to a lack of information of when it will happen
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:46:40 PM by AB4242 »
Meep.

January 21, 2008, 05:42:05 PM
Reply #9

Tankdown

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Hows my logic?
    • View Profile
I have no idea what I would do.

But the first thoughts that may jump to mind may just be "Why?".
To do, become -Myself
<---Little demon

January 21, 2008, 06:14:48 PM
Reply #10

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Yay, Canada is spared the doomsday missle because of me :D

lol thanks Raitaro ^_^

Doomsday Scenario: Zombies.
My plan: Top Secret. You don't have the clearance to know, zombie-bait :P

Okay, and now the serious doomsday scenario: .... I can't think of one. I might just be a little too optimistic, but the way I see the world moving forward it looks like global economic dependancy is leading us closer towards unity rather than disparity.

Actually, I can see a bleaker future. Our children and children's children become arrogant at the luxuries they have in their lives and become self-centered and selfish because of the way they see us acting, and they bring about their own destruction through worthless fighting.

What would I do? Sigh very sadly, first. Then I hope that I would speak up and start teaching people around me a better way to live, and hope that such a message will be given by other old foggies like me so that the youngsters would learn, even if a little late, to be better people.

EDIT: Alright, so maybe you can call me slow-witted instead of optimistic >_>
I thought up another doomsday scenario :) We become so dependant upon manufactured drugs and food products that we poison ourselves through and through because synthetic simply isn't as proper to eat as natural. (Yes, it's lame. Go away :P)
My plan: Go back to eating natural foods, and encourage others to do the same.

And of course, the ever popular World War 3 Scenario.
My plan: Stay out of the military >_> And just try to get by the same as I have been; with an interest in learning more about grandness of reality.

~Steve
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 06:28:14 PM by Steve »
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?