Author Topic: light dark  (Read 6382 times)

January 19, 2008, 04:19:13 PM
Read 6382 times

AB

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
ive heard many people claim that we have both light and dark, good and evil inside of us. others claim that either some one is good or they are evil. many people suggest that we are are evil and good residing in the same form. what do you people beleive? (no offense intended)
Meep.

January 19, 2008, 04:36:04 PM
Reply #1

Tankdown

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Hows my logic?
    • View Profile
Define good

....Also define evil
To do, become -Myself
<---Little demon

January 19, 2008, 04:57:16 PM
Reply #2

AB

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
im not asking for an answer, im asking for what yalls opinions are on these things
Meep.

January 20, 2008, 03:06:21 AM
Reply #3

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
Such things are normally Romanticised concepts of extreme morality, and if you look at the period in which the particular piece of fiction is written, you should be able to see that most of the values that are good and evil within it reflect the attitudes at the time, or attitudes that were being formed or being rejected (pending on the author).

Take a course of Moral Philosophy and you'll understand how there isn't really such a thing as good and evil, only our stereotyped categorisations of moral extremes.
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

January 20, 2008, 04:10:31 AM
Reply #4

AB

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
....do what now? what peice of fiction? i think we are having a slight misunderstanding
Meep.

January 20, 2008, 09:26:19 AM
Reply #5

Raitaro

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Knight of Wands
    • View Profile
Any peice of fiction will reflect the moral extremes of the time...
The IneptInitiate
http://xkcd.com/303/
http://xkcd.com/123/

I got a hot girl and the coolest band I know. I gotta bad habbit of smoking before the show.
I got music I got friends I trust and love. I get into a lot of fights and now my knuckles are all fucked up.....

January 20, 2008, 12:01:03 PM
Reply #6

Zake

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Staff

• Personal Text
    Veritas Staff
    • View Profile
Pfah, concepts of "good" and "evil" in any absolute sense shouldn't be applied any further than RPGs.  Even angels and demons can be understood in relativistic morality- harmony and disharmony, peace and conflict, life and death, are all more practical and meaningful terms.

I find that a person will only label another as "evil" when he has little or no understanding of the second person's actions, intentions, experience, etc.  When we understand an "evil" person, this "evil" is deconstructed into frustration, confusion, ignorance, or some other practical vice.  Same applies for "good," I'd imagine.
Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

January 20, 2008, 02:28:32 PM
Reply #7

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
Quote from: Zake
harmony and disharmony
Though these terms reflect more accurate situations, the terminology is still loaded with connotations. The dis- has a tendency to suggest that it is not the way things should be, and consequently throws negative emotions into the term.

Two more interesting terms would be facism and anarchy, the juxtaposed extreme political situations. Which of those sounds better or worse?

January 20, 2008, 02:42:16 PM
Reply #8

AB

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
anarchy hands down
Meep.

January 20, 2008, 05:45:57 PM
Reply #9

Tankdown

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Hows my logic?
    • View Profile
Who knows, maybe in the future there will be scientific evidence of something that only makes things worst. (Worst as in there are no advantages).

Untill then its a matter of opinion.
To do, become -Myself
<---Little demon

January 20, 2008, 10:16:40 PM
Reply #10

CloakedxAdept

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    Shedding foolishness
    • View Profile
Jungian psychology defines our "dark" side as "the shadow". Essentially what this is is our animalistic natures becoming aparrent in our personalities. According to Carl Jung the shadow can be the source for all the best and worst in man. This basically means that while experiencing "the shadow" a person is more spontaneus, creative, emotionally strong, etc. at worst the person succumbs easily to addictions, may seem insane at times, and is generally in less control of his actions.

Personally, I believe as humans become more and more civilized this becomes less and less necissary. However for an artist it may be advantageous to be in tune to a certain degree with this side.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it". -Aristotle

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy is a man who is afraid of the light". -Plato

"Knowledge without wisdom is like a gun in the hand of a child." -Anon

January 21, 2008, 01:33:47 AM
Reply #11

Redefine

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
i think good and evil are needless over-complications. the only morality i see is the aristotelian notion of fulfilling the function of the human being. the problem with this is its hard to define the function of a human.
On a concrete road to recovery
cause I'm knocking over every cone
in front of me.

January 22, 2008, 09:43:02 AM
Reply #12

Oriens Lvx Lucis

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
"Good" and "evil" are arbitrary descriptions of subjective perspectives on what is morally correct and incorrect, respectively.  An example...in the Mayan culture it was good to sacrifice a human, so long as said human was a prisoner of some sort, in order to please a deity.  Most people here would probably disagree with this and depending social background may even call this evil.  The one who has been raped or knows someone who has been raped closely may call it evil, yet theurgists will believe that rape could simply fulfill some sort of karmic debt and is neither good nor evil, etc.  The list goes on.

January 26, 2008, 08:52:37 AM
Reply #13

Julianus

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
I have always disagreed that Good and Evil are subjective terms. Let us take Good as an example.

To begin with, there is no definition of Good. Good just Is. The same, for instance, can be said about a point or a straight line in Euclidean Geometry: there are no definitions to describe them as they exactly are, though everyone knows what they are. If we are to examine this from another perspective: No one has ever seen a perfect point, nor a perfectly straight line; despite this, everyone knows what a point and a straight line are. Therefore, what we may presume at this point is that for every object there is one Idea, one Form, one Archetype, call it however you like, and this Idea may be manifested in the physical world through many different and imperfect things. For example, the Idea of Good is one and only one. Good, however, may be expressed as many different things; as Oriens has said, in the Mayan culture, it was considered Good to sacrifice a human for the shake of a god and in ancient Greece it was normal for for a man to form a cross-generational relationship with a minor. For the modern and "civilized" person, the above would be characterized as being rather Evil than Good.

Because of this, one might say that Good and Evil are subjective terms, perceived differently throughout the course of History. As I said previously though, Good and Evil are two definite things and Man always seeks to reach Good and distance himself from Evil. Then, you may ask, if this happens, wouldn't Good and Evil be the same for everybody? Not necessarily. See Good, for example, as the top of a high mountain and imagine that there are many roads which lead to this top, meaning that there are many ways to approach the Idea of Good which, no matter how many ways there are to approach it, it is one.
A thorough familiarity with the occult faculties of everything existing in nature, visible as well as invisible; their mutual relations, attractions, repulsions; the cause of these; in other words a profound and exhaustive knowledge of natural law this was and is the basis of magic.
- Blavatsky

January 26, 2008, 09:35:38 AM
Reply #14

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
"I'm good, because I give money to strangers, I've risked my life to save other people's lives, and, knowing that there are starving people in the world, I try not to be gluttonous."
"But you have three slaves who work on your farm. You don't pay them or anything, how is that good?"
"Well, my father kept slaves, I'm just carrying on the practice."
"But it's wrong."
"Says you."

This brief diorama was brought to you by Faijer Inc., with the intention of showing how good and evil do not exist because morality is not black and white, nor is it quantifiable.