Author Topic: depression  (Read 3093 times)

January 12, 2008, 03:49:00 PM
Read 3093 times

AB

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
the name says it all, how do i deal with it? and to the people that say "get over it u -!blam-" i say -!blam-...

EDIT BY FAIJER: Please watch the vulgarity.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 03:53:17 PM by Faijer »
Meep.

January 12, 2008, 04:01:20 PM
Reply #1

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
Healthy diet helps neurochemistry, which is a fairly large component of depression. If you suffer from a family history of depression however, or if you are diagnosed with bi-polar, or chronic depression, then you may want to consult a doctor (your GP will be able to re-direct you if necessary), as you may need medication to stabilise your neurochemistry.

The people who say, "just get up and go out" tend to have a limited understanding of what depression is like, and what causes it. Try to ignore them, or if you can, do the appropriate research and then enlighten them.
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

January 12, 2008, 04:12:32 PM
Reply #2

AB

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
......im bi-polar and iv been to see 4 psychologists, 2 psychiatrists, and iv been in rehab 3 times...
Meep.

January 12, 2008, 04:19:29 PM
Reply #3

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Make sure you eat properly and sleep properly. I can get really depressed and angry when I'm hungry or tired.

Also, meditate a lot. Meditation helps reduce the physical and mental stress that causes such things in me, and it helps others too.

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

January 12, 2008, 05:03:09 PM
Reply #4

Shadowx089

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Yeah, I often wondered what solutions some others have. Most tend to be meds from doctors that only cover the problem up like most meds do. But depression doesn't just go away for many.

Get over it!!!!...no no I Just had to say it, its fun. That has to be the first thing to say if you know or not know how to solve this. It may work, I usually get the person to smiles.

Idk, depression is not easy to fix. Some people have minor depression and take pills and they turn out right....some others take pills and many more products and still feel depressed.

Some people cut them selfs. I have met many people like this and others. It ends up becoming apart of their habit of life. When cutters cut them selfs, they release Endorphins, Its usually a natural form of painkiller that your body produces. But its suspected to temporally suppress depression for a while.

Lets see, Acupuncture is a new treatment since its been around forever...its new as in America is finally saying okay to use it. That should be easy to set up.

A healthy diet is known to fix depression. But people don't like to change their diets....its like saying all the stuff you love to eat.....now you can't....and well thats depressing.  :headwall:

I would like to know other methods that I have not heard of or just can't remember.

Everyone wants to help out a friend who is suffering from strong depression. I know I did also, I couldn't fix it, She couldn't either and her therapist couldn't do any better at calming her depression enough. I couldn't fix it so I did the only other option which I could think of, it was crazy because I was willing to risk her life by my understanding. I looked at how she lived and asked many questions, she was a cutter also. I have to admit that thats the only reason she lasted this long. I suggested I try to integrated a new way for her to think that worked with her normal life. She told the therapist what I suggested in the beginning, oddly enough the Therapist agreed as long as she kept taking her meds and meeting her like normal.  It took forever and I needed to always see her and how she was doing, sometimes she would crash and things get crazy.
In the end, She seemed to only have minor depression. She became a....well freak in mind by me spending all my efforts trying to add new thoughts to her head and start a knew thinking process....but it worked....I was sad in the end though, I couldn't fix it, couldn't fix it at all. I did a method that I knew would work or sink her. I couldn't fix it, but I may have gave her a few more years added to her lifeline. I was also sad when I had to let her go on her own, Two years playing mind games with her I felt like I had a pet, She still only suffers from minor depression still takes pills and only cuts herself once a few months. I never intended to stop that but its better than 2 or more times a week.

Last I heard of her she was, in college and she wanted to become a Journalist.

I am so evil, how easily I could of ditched her and watch her crack. Instead I played with her like a lab rat, with only curiosity as to what will happen.

I believe I said this story once before....hmmm.
Comfort of the Lord, comforted by God.
If nothing existed but the Source and the Source - Created everything - Is the Creation from the Source? - If the Creation can behold intelligence - Then does the Source also have intelligence? - After all - The Source was far more than its Creation.

January 12, 2008, 05:07:38 PM
Reply #5

ChezNips

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Teacher

• View Profile
If you have been in rehab, it sounds as if there are other substance problems that will also effect brain chemistry with the bi-polarism.  You need to get to the point where you have a more balanced brain chemical status as well as working on becoming more balanced in behavior, learning to cope with stresses of life.  I believe when you start to even out more, the depression wont be as bad, its just throwing you into a more chaotic cycle of thinking.  This is where the meditation comes in.  I might also suggest some of the hemisync materials because it balances the 2 hemispheres of the brain by putting a different frequency in each ear or something like centerpointe.com.  Qigong or even something like taichi would get you to learn to move energy around your body and learning to ground and center.
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

January 12, 2008, 05:16:28 PM
Reply #6

AB

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
i was in rehab for SUICIDAL THOUGHTS not marijauna, or crack, or other stuff...
Meep.

January 12, 2008, 05:39:21 PM
Reply #7

Rafnul!

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• he-who-posts-lots

• View Profile
I always ask the same questions to people who are depressed, but you have to realize that you are the only one who can dig yourself out of it.  No amount of drugs and therapy can solve that.  You have to want to be happy.

What do you want to do with your life?

What makes you happy?

If you could do anything, what would you do?

What stresses you out more than anything?

What can you do personally to take ownership of the situation and fix it?

How much progress do you think you can realistically make in one year?

- If you are serious about living an emotionally healthy life, these are all questions you should find answers to.

January 12, 2008, 05:57:24 PM
Reply #8

AB

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
ok im over it now :wink:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 10:06:09 PM by Frozen »
Meep.

January 12, 2008, 10:41:36 PM
Reply #9

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Things that can help you get the strength to deal with the problem:

1.  Eat a balanced diet consisting of home-cooked meals made with natural foods.  If necessary, teach yourself to cook to accomplish this.
2.  Make sure you eat fruits on a regular basis as part of this balanced diet, as they can help you to regulate your mood.
3.  Force yourself to exercise at least three times a week.
4.  Sleep on a regular schedule, making sure that you get 7-8 hours each night.  If necessary, use an alarm to avoid oversleeping.
5.  Get plenty of sunlight or bright light exposure during the day, as this improves your brain chemistry, and in some studies has been shown to be as effective as antidepressants.

When you flush your system into a better state by sticking to all five parts of the above regimen for a week or so, then you will be in better shape to address the questions posed by Rafnul, and seek a deeper fulfillment.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

January 12, 2008, 11:33:20 PM
Reply #10

IsApOs

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
The absolute first thing is to fix your body. Diet, regular exercise and a minimum 8 hours of sleep will quickly put you in a more positive frame of mind.

Secondly, and this is probably the most important part of the entire process, is to fix your surroundings. Many people with disorders find themselves heavily swayed by their surroundings. This not only includes your physical surroundings such as the state of your room (a clean room eases the mind) but most importantly of all the people who surround you. Spending time with highly energetic and positive people makes it almost impossible for you to not adopt the same characteristics.

The third step involves working internally. Deny the problem the right to stay in your mind, and deal with it like you would a wild animal that is tearing up your garden. It is not good for it to be there, it does not have the right to be there, it is not allowed. Do not confuse this with the task many people have of pretending it doesn't exist, as this is simply a form of suppression.

The road to recovery is long, and I do believe that oftentimes it is up to situational advantage for a person to make a complete recovery, but I promise you it is possible.

Namaste

January 13, 2008, 07:14:48 PM
Reply #11

Athiril

• Veritas Furniture

• Reverend Lucious

• View Profile
    • PhotoDan
first thing to do is get off the bloody internet and get some sleep.

I only ever start feeling depressed when Im exceptionally tired, and I can feel I am, but I dont feel like I need to go sleep.

Waking up in the morning after a good nights sleep and I feel great.

edit: what kobok said.

January 16, 2008, 02:42:46 PM
Reply #12

Oriens Lvx Lucis

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
At least 8-9 hours of sleep, and a balanced diet which will not prevent the proper functioning of the body and, more importantly in your case, your cognitive or emotional faculties.  Exercise is highly recommended as well.

I also suggest you take up yoga (not mere Hatha or physical exercise, but a veritable meditation training regimen) or a similar exercise to become the master of both your body and your mind (which, insofar as I can legitimately judge online, you do not seem to be currently).  Suicidal thoughts can neither harm nor control the man who is master of himself and his mind. 

Thirdly, know yourself.  Constantly calibrate every movement you perform.  Listen more than you speak.  If you are about to speak, judge yourself and ponder on whether or not you should really say what you plan to say, and the possible positive and negative consequences of stating the thought.  Let no impulse nor thought be master over your bodily temple.  Before you can conquer yourself (the aforementioned suggestion) you must know yourself, so as to know what you are fighting.  Every day, take at least 10 minutes before sleep to review the day and see who "won the battle", your virtues or your vices?  Transmute all that is negative about you into something which is opposite and positive.  When you are thus totally in equilibrium, and truly healthy and balanced physically, mentally, and spiritually, and infirmity, whether it be in any or all three of those categories, will be totally impossible.

Good luck.  It is difficult to do all that I suggested. 

January 17, 2008, 06:33:53 AM
Reply #13

hagithpsi

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Kobok's advice was good. I suffer from anxiety, and proper diet, exercise, and adequate amounts of sleep are what help me the most during the stressful semester.

Since I primarily suffer from anxiety, I can't say it will help, but meditation might be something to try. I have used the Holosync system on and off for the past 5 years and have found a lot of short-term relief through it. Their website is at http://www.centerpointe.com/
"And the soul, if it is to know itself, into a soul must look. The stranger and the enemy, we saw him in the mirror." Seferis

January 17, 2008, 09:55:21 PM
Reply #14

Lightbringer

• Posts By Osmosis

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Spiritual Warrior
    • View Profile
As someone who has dealt with depression, I'll just tell you what worked for me.  I read your post where you said you were "over it" but that wording is typical of people who buried their emotional problems and are waiting to dive bomb into apathy again when things get to tough.  Personally, I never believed a psychiatrist could help me (though I managed to glean some useful wisdom from the one man I saw, even though he clearly had no idea how to help me) so I was dealing with it on my own.  I also refused to use drugs (though I do have a history of bi-polar and schizophrenia in my family) which didn't make it any easier, but in hindsight, seems to have been the right decision.  Quite simply, I just faced my issues, I just kept asking questions to my self.  What am I doing with my life?  What makes me happy? (Rafnul's questions were very good and should definitely be answered.)  I had a general inability to get tired while I was depressed.  It wasn't insomnia, I just rarely felt sleepy, not that I could never get to sleep and this let me simply stay up most of the night asking questions.  I wrote it out and talked it out with myself.  I bounced ideas off myself and quite literally changed some of my fundamental beliefs and values in a few nights with by ceaselessly asking questions about the nature of my happiness, my stress, my suicidal thoughts.

Now it seems like you're in a decent place now where you're more balanced, so take this opportunity to really set your mind to finding the roots of your problem.  If you ignore it as many people do and only spend a few hours a month in a shrink's chair, you will make minimal headway.  It's your own dedication that will cure you.  Thinking things out is truly the hardest part, you'll find your own mind resists it and you actually will lose the ability to think at times, you'll even forget the question you just asked yourself.  Taking a break then getting back to it is worth it.  Depression is only an endless cycle if you accept the misery and refuse to do anything about it.  Motivation is a pain, I know, but frankly, use whatever you can.  My motivation was anger, I was pissed off and swearing a lot while I tried to figure things out.  But once you have a reason to think and you start to get answers, they are unimaginably simple.  So applying them is not so much an issue.  Discover your fears and question your beliefs and you'll find the flaws in your thinking that lead to this depressed state.  And by all means, use doctor-prescribed drugs if they help, but if they compromise your thinking, they'll just leave you dependent on them with no way out.

You've heard some warnings, some guidance and some encouragement. Now good luck :)
The thing that really fascinates me about people is their ability to have no idea what's going on even though it's going on in plain sight all around them and the even more amazing tendency to argue violently when one of these obvious things is presented to them.