Author Topic: The purpose of dreams  (Read 4827 times)

January 10, 2008, 08:14:27 AM
Reply #15

ThiefDeath

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• Personal Text
    Grammaton Cleric
    • View Profile
Yes, you CAN choose to make your lucid dreaming experience completely useless if you wish. I wouldn't know many people who do though.  I certainly don't.  I always try to do something amazing.  If someone DOES somehow by some miracle find a way to do nothing, which is pretty hard, then I suppose it's nothing different than them doing nothing during the regular day.  This would be their decision, just like it would be during the regular day, and would not be the fault of the lucid dreaming mechanism.
[23:48] <DanielH> You guys are all strange
[23:48] <DanielH> You have a different way of thinking (which is wrong)

How about a shave?

January 10, 2008, 05:57:02 PM
Reply #16

Tankdown

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Hows my logic?
    • View Profile
Now lets add time to the table..... :biggrin:

Today the decision may be more possible for a good choice, but what about the past? When it really mattered.
To do, become -Myself
<---Little demon

January 10, 2008, 09:28:05 PM
Reply #17

ThiefDeath

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• Personal Text
    Grammaton Cleric
    • View Profile
Same can apply to waking life.
[23:48] <DanielH> You guys are all strange
[23:48] <DanielH> You have a different way of thinking (which is wrong)

How about a shave?

January 10, 2008, 09:57:41 PM
Reply #18

Tankdown

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Hows my logic?
    • View Profile
Your not thinking far back enough.
To do, become -Myself
<---Little demon

January 11, 2008, 09:05:43 PM
Reply #19

Zake

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Staff

• Personal Text
    Veritas Staff
    • View Profile
Not all things the body does are fully functional.  Some of its aspects are simply due to side-effects of more useful aspects.  In the case of lucid dreaming, having a creature with the capacity to dream and also the capacity of rational thought probably just implies the capacity for lucid dreaming out of a combination of the two.  Even if lucid dreaming isn't "functional," it won't be selected against as long as it doesn't cause a sizable disadvantage; given how few people lucid dream, and how rare it is for those who do, its probably evolutionarily neutral.  (For that matter, the article seems to imply that all non-nightmare dreams are non-"functional," so the system may simply be inefficient.)

It occurs to me, having read the article, to wonder if dreaming is actually the cause of all the irrational, counterproductive responses people tend to have to bad situations.  For example, a child hiding in a closet when their house catches on fire- irrational, and very impractical in the physical world, but given the symbolism and psychological expectations associated with closets, perhaps more effective in dreams than in reality.
Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

January 11, 2008, 10:12:11 PM
Reply #20

Tankdown

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Hows my logic?
    • View Profile
Couldn't have say it better myself. Way to earn that degree Zake. :wink:
To do, become -Myself
<---Little demon