Author Topic: Ankle going asleep in meditation?  (Read 4486 times)

August 02, 2007, 06:42:49 AM
Read 4486 times

MaxBlade

• Settling In

• View Profile
Does anyone feel that their ankles goes to sleep when trying to meditate?
I'm having this problem and it's getting annoying. I can't find a good position because I can do only the half lotus position.
any solutions?

thank you in advance.

August 02, 2007, 09:50:32 AM
Reply #1

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Yes. Move your foot out a little ways so that your leg isn't resting on the ankle('s main blood veins). I find that moving the foot every so often out so the leg is resting on the heel, and then back again after a while, helps.

If you're talking about the ankle that is resting on the leg, then every so often switch which ankle is up. That way both your legs get stretched over time for future attempts at a full lotus position.

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

August 02, 2007, 10:58:06 AM
Reply #2

Forg

• Posts By Osmosis

• The V' Smithy

• View Profile
Meditation doesn't have to be done via sitting in special positions either. You could meditate from a desk chair if it was comfortable for you, laying down is also fine (provided you remain awake).
Be your own light, your own refuge. Believe only that which you test for yourself. Do not accept authority merely because it comes from a great man, or is written in a sacred book, for truth is different for each man and woman." -- Buddha

August 02, 2007, 05:16:16 PM
Reply #3

Wonderland

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    ISIS
    • View Profile
    • My blog space (just getting started 06/07)
Yes, I have different body parts fall asleep while meditating, especially when trying to use "proper" sitting posture for extended periods of time.  The best advice I can give you is sort of like how to properly wear thong (t-back) underwear.  I used to think if I wore them properly, I wouldn't have a "wedgie".  Obviously, that is not true.  The key is to learn to like the wedgie.  Cutsie aside, just try to transcend the situation.  Acknowledge the "pain" and gently return yourself to your meditation. 
Yeeesh!  Apparently I forgot the signature changes on all posts....AND until you change it again...oh well enough then...sorry 'bout that

August 02, 2007, 06:28:57 PM
Reply #4

`Nazukarr

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
This has happened a lot, and, like steven has said, occurs due to blocked veins in the area of question. Just try shifting your position so none of your body parts are under too much pressure.
I am not this hair, I am not this skin, I am the soul that lives within.

August 02, 2007, 11:23:54 PM
Reply #5

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I should also mention to people reading this thread who don't already know, since it is not mentioned enough in western culture, that the "proper" sitting positions for specific meditations/exercises are not always positions that a person's body naturally conforms to; many of them require stretching and allowing the body time to get used to, typically over a period of weeks to months depending on how awkward the position is compared to more natural positions of the body's joints and depending on the health of the individual's body.

Attempting to force your body into some of them immediately can cause minor injury to your body, which can become worse if you do it continually before your body naturally adapts. And just as bad, they detract from your meditation sessions by distracting your mind from what you're doing.

For basic/general breathing or energy meditations, sitting cross-legged or with legs naturally extending down the length of a chair to touching the floor should be enough. Some people even prefer just laying down entirely, though others find they fall asleep while doing this.

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

August 02, 2007, 11:37:49 PM
Reply #6

Silver_Archer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Prophet of Doom

• View Profile
If you cannot sit in a position comfortably, then you need to train your body to do so. It could be argued that you can adopt a more comfortable position. However, it can also be argued that meditation is not merely mastering the mind, but also begins with a basic mastery of the body. Therefore, it is ideal if a person CAN hold a full lotus posture with straight back and hands in mudra for hours without feeling discomfort. This is not a easy task and it takes a good deal of practice. Simply put, The more you practice it, the easier the position will become for you. There are also stretching exercises you can undertake to make the process faster and easier.

Bottomline, your body determines the length of time you can stay seated in meditation. If you cant hold perfect posture with body well balanced, spine straight, legs folded and neck tucked in for more than 5 minutes, then it is in fact pointless for you to go beyond 5 minutes. Different meditation systems lay focus on different things, and I am sure that you could simply change position and instead sit in a chair or lie down. However, personally, I find meditation to be much more effective when done in a proper meditation position. Meditation is not merely a technique to learn to focus the mind. It is also a way to learn to discipline the mind and the body. 

<Forg> Everything is adjustable when you have a saw.

August 20, 2007, 07:25:38 PM
Reply #7

Frozen

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• Personal Text
    Posting chief
    • View Profile
Does anyone feel that their ankles goes to sleep when trying to meditate?
I'm having this problem and it's getting annoying. I can't find a good position because I can do only the half lotus position.
any solutions?

thank you in advance.

Have you ever considered meditating in seiza? It's probably my favorite position to meditate in besides crossed-legged because if my feet begin to fall asleep I can apply more pressure to my knees, and vice versa when my knees begin to have pain. Sometimes if you would prefer not to shift your body during meditation, your ankle in this case, you might be able to alleviate the tension by simply shifting your weight lightly to a different point.
* chirss was kicked by kobok (Denny Crane)

I CARVE EVERYTHING YOU SAY INTO MY LEFT ARM!
~ V

<ShoresofPluto> how often do u ignite fires with ur mind?
<kobok> On occasion.

[20:06] <kobok> XIII:  You wear your girlfriend's pants??
[20:06] <XIII> kobok: On occasion.

August 22, 2007, 12:14:01 AM
Reply #8

Windsmover001

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
May I suggest some stimulating exercise several hours prior to meditating, and do stretches before and after.

October 04, 2007, 11:33:28 AM
Reply #9

Entity

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    : : A a U u M m : :
    • View Profile
    • United Psionics Club
heh, if you're deep enough in meditation it wont phase you the slightest, seeing as how you shouldn't be aware of these parts of your body in the first place. The real problem comes when you wake and find that you cant move your feet.. which happens to me all the time. Is this good? No, not at all haha. However, Its hard to avoid and its because of my lack of skill in the asana etc however as you keep doing it you'll learn little tricks to help. Just keep going.

Meditation doesn't have to be done via sitting in special positions either. You could meditate from a desk chair if it was comfortable for you, laying down is also fine (provided you remain awake).

This is true... however, it greatly helps. I would never give up these floor asanas so quickly, do them for a while before dismissing them.
: : O m  N a m a h  S h i v a y a : :

October 04, 2007, 12:16:51 PM
Reply #10

supadude

• Posts By Osmosis

• Super Villain

• View Profile
was happening to me in the half lotus position, but then i said screw it and put the soles of my feet together and i meditate in the butterfly position because mah mucly ass is flexible enough to take my knees to the floor in that position. :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnA8GUtXpXY&feature=player_embedded
A must see study for all!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVWUFDDyAHmC2k1m2rnGvQw
My youtube channel

The proud owner of the 200,000th post made on Veritas.

October 21, 2007, 10:25:52 PM
Reply #11

Aunt Clair

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
    • River of Enlightenment
As we draw energy into the body , it is important to notice the position of the spine .The chakras on the spinal column  draw energy to the heart which sends it throughout the body . Uncrossed limbs will ease flow of energy and aid in attaining meditative visions .  It is very effective to vary the position of meditation to allow the body to blossom and open all centres with  energy .So we see the need to vary positions for comfort and to effect greater flow of energy through the human energy body . And over time we may notice that there are parts not being developed .Meditators may recognise a need to open these under developed areas;

The Entire Back
* back of heart
* behind the navel
The Rear of the head
* behind the third eye
* behind the mouth
* behind the nose
Other undeveloped areas
* Back of the hands
* top of the feet
* fingers
* toes

There are a variety of beneficial poses for meditation most of which extend the spine fully to facilitate energy flow . Choosing suitably and varying the pose will open the human energy body more fully .

Throne pose ; sitting in a chair bare feet on the floor arm supported on the arms of the chair , palms up .
A comfortable armchair offers an open channel from the male kanda at the pelvic floor to the female kanda at the crown . Energy may thus be drawn down or up through the spine . The palms up and the bare feet down allow these centres to open effectively and bring more energy into the body .

larger image here :http://groups.msn.com/AlchemicalFlame/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=156
advantages ; comfortable , energy passes from crown to perineum easily , promotes trance and visions
disadvantages ; bent knees partially occlude flow from mother Earth to feet through the legs to the perineum

Thoth Pose ; as above but leaning forward with heels under bum and elbows perched on knees , hands on face

advantages ; exposes the back for OBE provides 2 lines of flow from heel to rear of spine to rear of head and ball of foot to calves to knees to elbows to forearms to brow centre
disadvantages ;bent knees partially occlude flow from mother Earth to feet through the legs to the perineum

Monk Pose ; calves and forearms on ground , knees close to elbows , brow centre to ground

advantages ; draws energy up the steles of seth ( forearms and lower legs ) which strengthens energy centres in them and thus facilitates their ability to manifest vibes for OBE and draws energy up each front chakra to the rear chakras , opens brow centre with flow from Mother Earth
disadvantages ; limited comfort time , partially occludes breath

Kneeling Pose kneeling optionally  back may be supported on wall

advantages ; draws energy through both lower legs opening them to flow 
disadvantages ; difficult to maintain for a lengthy trance occludes blood flow ,distracting

Shepherd Pose one foreleg on ground other knee raised with foot upon ground

advantages ; draws energy through one side to equalise imbalances and may easily be alternated
disadvantages ; unbalanced , difficult to maintain for a lengthy trance

Fetal Pose ; aligning the Steles of Seth ( forearms and lower legs)lying on one side

advantages ; facilitates vibes to affect OBE, lying on right side promotes female OBE , lying on left side promotes male OBE
disadvantages ; promotes sleep limiting recall and control of trance and projection

Prone Pose ; lying flat upon stomach
advantages; exposes back promoting female OBE , if on ground instead of bed draws energy from earth along full spine
disadvantages ; partially occludes breathing , promotes sleep limiting recall and control of trance and projection

Supine Pose ; lying upon back

advantages; exposes front  promoting male OBE , if on ground instead of bed draws energy from earth along full spine
through rear chakras promoting their manifestation
disadvantages ; partially occludes breathing , promotes sleep limiting recall and control of trance and projection
, can be uncomfortable requiring pillows or yoga blocks under back , ankels ,and neck

Full Lotus Pose ; sitting upright legs crossed feet on opposite thighs.In time the base kanda can directly take in energy and this is helped by sitting on the ground in positions like the lotus . But the lotus impairs the flow to the legs .

advantages ; perineum on ground promotes direct flow to male kanda Throne of God
disadvantages ; difficult to maintain , uncomfortable , crossed legs fully occludes flow to feet and lower legs partially occludes thighs

Leaning  forward Lotus Pose ;back extends , head drops down
advantages ; allows trance , promotes flow to back
disadvantages ; partially occludes breathing , limited comfort time

Half Lotus Pose ;  as above one foot on thigh other relaxed

advantages ; more comfortable than full lotus and perineum still on ground perhaps more fully
disadvantages ; unbalanced , difficult to maintain , uncomfortable , crossed legs fully occludes flow to feet and lower legs partially occludes thighs

Crown  Pose ; hanging from knees on a bar ,  headstand , or supported with equipment
advantages ; the crown is directly exposed to energy from earth opening the crown immensely
disadvantages ; limited comfort time , impaired breathing

Butterfly Pose ; sole to sole sitting on bum

advantages ; more comfortable than lotus and more balanced than half lotus , better flow through legs , perineum still exposed facilitating flow to raise kundalini
disadvantages ; limited comfort time

Standing

advantages ; the flow is unoccluded from the ground through legs to spine
disadvantages ; difficult to close eyes to trance , difficult to maintain in trance , limited comfort time , instinctive shifting weight breaks trance

Supplication Pose ; arms out head hyperextended

advantages ; opens breathing , exposes flow to eye of sun kanda above the breasts and beneath collar bone
disadvantages ; difficult to close eyes to trance , difficult to maintain in trance , limited comfort time , instinctive shifting weight breaks trance

Star or Da Vinci Vitruvian Man Pose ; open arms out legs spread , closed legs together arms at side

advantages:opens the body profoundly when lying down on ground facilitates manifestation of a vortex when standing allows flow from earth .
disadvantages;difficult to close eyes to trance , difficult to maintain in trance , limited comfort time , instinctive shifting weight breaks trance

Walking
advantages ; Zen trance facilitated , rhythmic step induces light trance , improves circulation
disadvantages ; limited comfort time , impaired breathing proccess as circulation is improved and bloodpressure and pulse is sped up  instead of slow down  , safety concerns when inattentive  , difficult to maintain heavy trance

Rem : Placing hands especially laced fingers in front of the third eye during prayer or meditation is counterproductive as it occludes flow to the brow centre .
http://www.yachtaragorn.com/photos/Gallery/WomenPrayingAtHinduTempleUbud.jpg
http://www.mepkinabbey.org/ChapterVerse3/Praying%20Monk%203.jpg
.......~*~Love, Light & Laughter~*~
~*~Meditation & Mysticism is Magick!~*~

October 22, 2007, 09:48:05 AM
Reply #12

Raitaro

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Knight of Wands
    • View Profile
My favourite meditational pose is ecstatic bear posture. Try it out then come to me if you disagree.
  Stand with your feet about 4 inches apart parralel to each other. Bend your knees slightly and have you arms in light fists a few inches infront of your navel and a few inches apart. Tilt your head back and open your mouth.
The IneptInitiate
http://xkcd.com/303/
http://xkcd.com/123/

I got a hot girl and the coolest band I know. I gotta bad habbit of smoking before the show.
I got music I got friends I trust and love. I get into a lot of fights and now my knuckles are all fucked up.....