Home
Forums
Chat
Help
Search
Retro
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 30, 2014, 01:11:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:

Advanced search
215861 Posts in 15372 Topics by 19862 Members - Latest Member: - jirayva Most online today: 108 - most online ever: 430 (June 28, 2007, 02:58:51 PM)
+  The Veritas Society
|-+  Discussion Areas
| |-+  Magick
| | |-+  Direct Magic (enlighten me)
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Direct Magic (enlighten me)  (Read 2648 times)
Watchtower
Hundred-plus Club
Posts By Osmosis

Contemplative Panentheist

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 10:22:54 PM »

Actually, that is why most direct magicians discard ritual (not that you do, but the majority of direct magicians do so for such reasons).

I'm sure many of them do, but I don't know if I'd say most.  Without some kind of statistical evidence (which we are not likely to get, for obvious reasons), I think the word "most" is too strong.  Keep in mind that psionics counts as direct magic if we use the broad definition I gave.  You may in fact be right, but we don't really know that for sure.  Yes, I know I'm nitpicking here  Tongue

When I mentioned these people, it wasn't so much as to challenge direct magic, but to oppose the popular opinion of direct magic that ritual is not as useful.

That may be so, but the entire post itself did come off as a challenge to the direct magic paradigm.  I'm sure there are direct magicians that say ritual is not useful, but I believe this will occur less in the future (hopefully).  Now of course, the direct systems I have seen do not by any means constitute all of the systems around, but the 2 systems I have seen that have actually made significant progress, that are accessible worldwide (i.e. internet) and therefore will reach a large number of existing and potential magicians, do not argue against the usefulness or effectiveness of ritual, only against the necessity of ritual.  Hopefully, as more people see the success of these systems and look into what they have to say, the belief among direct magicians that ritual is not useful will become less prevalent.

And again, I'm speaking in the context of the definition I gave.  Any applications of your arguments against other definitions are outside the scope of my posts in this thread.   

This is somewhat of a tangent, but I'd like to point out that not all direct methods use the energy of the caster alone.  Non-ritual simply means without ritual, nothing more and nothing less. 

"For no matter how holy works may be, they do not make us holy because we do them, but in so far as we within ourselves are as we should be, we make holy all that we do, whether it be eating, or sleeping, or working, or what it may."

-Eckhart von Hochheim
TakeV
Mad Scientist
Veritas Council
Posts By Osmosis

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 09:01:27 PM »

Can someone please enlighten me...

Enlightenment...

You seek wisdom?
No.

You seek answers.

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Silver_Archer
Prophet of Doom
Veritas Moderator
Posts By Osmosis

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 07:12:32 AM »

That was a perfectly acceptable sentence, TakeV. English is not my native language and even I know that. I am not the most avid of readers, but even I have come across the word 'enlighten' being used in such a fashion, not once, but many times. Lighten up, dude. Smiley

<Forg> Everything is adjustable when you have a saw.
Trillis
Has a lot of posts
Posts By Osmosis

. . ::IAO:: . .

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 10:17:23 AM »

That was a perfectly acceptable sentence, TakeV. English is not my native language and even I know that. I am not the most avid of readers, but even I have come across the word 'enlighten' being used in such a fashion, not once, but many times. Lighten up, dude. Smiley

Thank you for enlightening us. >-)

Silver_Archer
Prophet of Doom
Veritas Moderator
Posts By Osmosis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 10:31:50 AM »

T'was a pleasure.

<Forg> Everything is adjustable when you have a saw.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: