Author Topic: A new take on Sigilization  (Read 3684 times)

June 01, 2007, 08:07:15 PM
Read 3684 times

suiren

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    solve et coagula
    • View Profile
One of the largest difficulties for the aspiring magician is the lack of concentration needed to hold various symbols within the mind’s eye in order to empower them to a certain effect. While the development of the skill of concentration is of utmost importance to the evolution of the aspirant, a sigil can be used to hold thoughts on paper (or what ever medium or media one chooses), in a similar manner to using “pencil and paper” in mathematical operations. The intent of the sigil is contemplated then turned into a diagram representing the pathway that one desires energy to flow through, so that the complete sigil will show, to the magician who envisioned it, the location of input of energy, any number of filters and redirections, loci for the addition of intent, and a means of escape from the system, which will either form a circuit with the magician directly, or indirectly through the cycle of energy. The sigil, when created in this fashion, can act as a kind of magickal blueprint, which stores intent so that the magician only has to provide the energy instead of constructing a flow and dealing with intention at the same time, which greatly simplifies the matter. To activate the sigil, one simply envisions the flow of the sigil and supplies the energy to it. In effect, the magician becomes the battery and the sigil becomes the casting agent.

Notes:
The intention is inserted into the sigil during the act of drawing the sigil, or afterwards, though theoretically the subconscious mind which creates the symbols projects the intention as it is formulated. 

To clarify, for this article I am using the definition of a sigil as a collection of any symbolic or representative markings empowered by various means in order to do some operation.

This is my first attempt at an article and I hope that it is useful to someone. Please comment on what needs improving or general theoretical tips.

Personally, I cannot grasp the concept of a static sigil, and thus this is my interpretation of the practice using a dynamic formula; Initiation into Hermetics points at the added ease of focusing on moving objects, and thus I am lead to believe that by using a dynamic sigil, one devotes more attention and focus to the actual work instead of continually moving a static sigil in the minds eye while attempting to empower it.

To rely upon this method for too long stifles one's progress in bettering one's abilities, and should be used only with continued concentration exercises to advance one's visualization prowess.

June 02, 2007, 12:48:56 PM
Reply #1

cyropsion_26

• Veritas Furniture

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
Exactly what I needed to read, thanks. 

If I may ask, what are your opinions on the whole "lust for result" debate and its affect on the operation?

June 02, 2007, 08:14:00 PM
Reply #2

suiren

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    solve et coagula
    • View Profile
Honestly, I'm just beginning myself, this is the only thing that I've discovered that hasn't been a simple re-affirmation of previously stated theories, and as a member I should contribute, so you are very much welcome. I personally don't have enough experience yet to say to what degree lusting for the result would effect an operation, but I would assume that for an increasing desire on the part of the magician, there would be an increase in the effectiveness of the operation, however, this would only be up to the point at which mental clarity is degraded and thus the effectiveness sharply falls off. I hate assuming things.