Author Topic: Magicians, Mediums and Maqueraders  (Read 2921 times)

May 18, 2007, 08:03:55 PM
Read 2921 times

IsApOs

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
Before I begin a quick and unfortunately necessary disclaimer. This article is written based on the views of the author and is not to be taken as attack to the credibility of any other person or persons in any field.

Too often now this author is drawn to the question of mediums and the “amazing gifts” they are held to possess. Questions and accusations thrown around in defence of various practitioners of “special skills” make the world of Occultism all the more blurred and vile. It is through the various mediums of the modern world such as the Internet and forests of published materials that this tragic obscurity has arisen. The world is now the target of a great fraud, and many of the “wise” people are able to manipulate this for their own gain.

I speak, of course, of Mediums. The wondrous channels between humanity and divinity. The gifted individuals who communicate with Deities, Angels and the Dearly Departed. How came they upon such an immeasurable power, to communicate with beings not of our sphere? A power, which the Magicians of old required many years of dedication and suffering to obtain the skill to perform the ceremony and ritual necessary to even open the doorway to communication with these beings.

This article serves to all that would place their interest in Mediums and the art of Mediumship. This work is a compilation of views from Theosophy, Theurgy, and indeed my own personal experience as a medium. The most dangerous weapon is the one concealed, and if this article does nothing more than to shine a fragment of light upon the concealed weapons among many of the modern Mediums, then it shall have served its purpose. I would like to point out quickly that I will use “him”s and “her”s frequently and often in a one-sided manner, this is not an act of sexism it is simply for the benefit of literary flow.
For purpose of simplicity I have split the article into the various sections listed below:

I.       Introduction to the Concept of Spirits and Mediumship
II.             The “Adept” Methods of Invocation and Evocation
III.             The Concept of Modern Mediumship
IV.              Our Modern Marvels
V.                The Knowledge Factor
VI.              Trust
VII.            Words of Caution

I. Introduction to the Concept of Spirits
Most of my readers will look upon this title and mock “what fool would not know of Spirits?” And to you I say, carry on. This article is written for those who are not sure. Anyone who knows more of this concept than I do (and their numbers are legion) most probably shall not need to concern themselves with this article, for it offers only insight into a truth which is obvious to many practitioners of the Occult Sciences. However, for those who are unsure of what a Spirit and a Medium may be, a brief summary is to be given.

The word “Spirit” as used here is not to speak of that ineffable quality within man that is the divine connection to God. Rather, I speak of an entity containing (though sometimes not) some degree of intelligence, which exists in a different sphere to our own. The common idea is that these beings are not bound by our laws and are able to communicate various secrets and truths to those of the mortal plane via the Mediums.

For the sake of simplicity, all beings such as Angels, Elementals, Deceased People, etc. will all fall under the category of “Spirits” from now on.
Mediumship is the art by which a human being may place themselves in a psychic position to receive impressions from other spheres of existence, usually through Spirits such as the above mentioned. Many varying methods exist including trances, divinations with pendulums, direct communication etc. It is with this last that I desire to speak of in more length. The various “6th sense” faculties that we are now believed to have easy access to include things such as Clairvoyance (seeing), Clairaudience (hearing), Clairsentience (feeling) and Claircognisance (knowing). It is through these heightened senses that many of our modern Mediums are said to operate and obtain their information. Various methods of developing these Mediumistic abilities exist and this can be as simple as a sudden revelation and acquisition of skill, to paying a suitable fee and having another Medium “attune” the aspirant, much like in forms of healing such as Reiki. In our modern world it is certainly the latter, which occurs on a far more frequent scale.

II. The “Adept” Methods of Invocation and Evocation
As I have said before, the Magicians of this and previous ages have emphatically expressed that in order for the Invocation and Evocation of Spirits to be successful, the aspirant must reach a certain level of discipline and skill. The aspirant must possess knowledge of the various God-names and rituals to ensure a safe communication with Spirits.

My use of the term “Magician” defines an Adept who has chosen to walk in the path of the light, serving his fellow man and having unity with God as his primary goal throughout life. However, this does not suggest that it is only the well-behaved Adepts who have access to the arts of Invocation and Evocation, so from now I shall simply refer to Adepts of all walks of faith.

To cite the rituals and incantations for such operations would not only be foolish, but would extend well beyond the means of this essay, which justifies only a brief description of how the most “powerful” Occultists over the ages have believed Spirit workings should be done.  Anyone who looks here for a particular summoning spell for certain spirits because they wish to communicate with an Undine may look elsewhere as of now. Such knowledge is easily obtainable in other texts of our great contemporaries. Suffice to say, our earlier contemporaries had excessive dogma and ritual with regards to the arts of summoning. Various perfumes, sigils, times, clothings, etc. were all made use of in order to strengthen the power of the ritual. These rituals, if successful, would call into being something. A great many Adepts (such as Eliphas Levi and Helena Blavatsky) succeeded in their invocations of these beings, yet were still extremely wary of what was summoned. Levi himself speaks in his “Transcendental Magic” of his summoning of the spirit of Apollonius of Tyana. Without re-writing this, suffice to say he fell quite ill and received some very dark messages from this apparition. Blavatsky herself was a Medium early in her career, and in her “Studies in Occultism” she heartily condemns the art as foolish and dangerous.

III. The Concept of Modern Mediumship
Here forms the main point of this article, to dictate to the reader the situation regarding Mediumship as it has been for a good long while, and as it is now. Up until this point, it could be said that the author is in favour of Mediums, whilst nothing could be further from the truth.
This author has engaged in a long period of exercising Mediumistic activities and has had “success” in dealing with many of the Spirits mentioned in the first section, without the use of the rituals of the second section.

And this lead to the author’s greatest failure in all of his occult workings. Amongst the various propaganda of how people can just visualise what they want and have it come to them, and amongst the great wave of “radki” which still rages to some degree, there exists 1000 doorways to an early spiritual grave. I do not mean this in the sense of either physical or spiritual death, but more a stagnation of potential, since many who become Mediums, believe there is nothing more they can learn since they can learn directly from their Spirits. Oh arrogance thy name is mankind!

Our Modern Marvels, of whom I will speak of in the next section, are considered this world’s most abundant resource of channelled information from the other side. Indeed, but of what worth is information received through such Mediums? It could be argued none whatsoever.

At this point I must make use of Madame Blavatsky’s works to elucidate the case of how the Medium is different from the Adept. The Adept is always in control of the forces he calls down. He has learned through extensive training how to master himself and the forces around him, and will be able to control the phenomena that manifest themselves at the whim of the various Spirits he employs. The Medium will fill themselves with Astral Light and will allow themselves to be taken over completely by whatever passers by would like a free body. The Medium has NO CONTROL over the forces that move within her. “The door is flung wide open” to quote Regardie, and whatever manner of simple Elementals, Demons, etc. may freely walk in and pose as the Departed Ghost of Napoleon, Paracelsus, and even Madame Blavatsky herself.

To quote this society’s very own Prophecy “These little creatures enjoy parading around in costumes.” Indeed it is under the guise of greater powers that many lesser forms operate. The old adage of “if you don’t believe in fairies, they die” rings true here, as certain beings of the Astral Cesspit thrive off the emotional energy that Mediums feed them by invoking them and giving them undivided attention. This is heightened to an extreme level at events such as seances, where the emotions of an entire group can be fed upon by such fiends.

But of course, none of this matters to our Modern Marvels, who are doing “God’s work” and helping steer mankind towards a spiritually enlightened tomorrow. Bah! As the great Adept of Nazareth himself said “cast not your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet.” Oh how such pearls of the Veritable Wisdom have been trampled! The sacred doctrines perverted and exploited for the acquisition of material betterment!

IV. Our Modern Marvels
Now we come to an interesting point, those who lead the unwary masses down this path of delusion and perversion? I feel it is necessary that this view be stretched into modern day examples to help formulate a plastic concept of just what sort of Mediums operate in our current world.
There are various groups of Mediums.

The first group are the vile and corrupt, those who have jumped on the “New Age Bandwagon” to make a quick buck….or a quick million, coupled with their own TV and Radio shows. While possessing absolutely no “psychic abilities” these people are still held up on pedestals since they have correctly guessed the month someone’s parent’s sister’s birthday falls on or they have become really lucky and assumed that a 40 year old man’s grandmother is dead. This group is what the mainstream modern world use to slander all pursuits of Occult Wisdom, and as well they should, for certainly these types of Mediums sully even the term Medium….a title which is by no means honorary in itself. Who would fall into a category such as this?

The second group is much like the first, and consists of the simple charlatans, who do not even attempt to make a convincing Medium of themselves. These are the people who stuff up and blame the client’s ignorance for the faulty readings. At least the first group of thieves make convincing liars.
To move on though, the next group of Mediums can be termed as “poor fools”. These are the ones that true aspirants, Adepts and initiates feel nothing but pity for. These people are convinced that their psychic revelations are true and come from the highest sources. They believe it is their mission in life to use their gifts to help other people with their problems by means of channelling through messages from their loved ones, spirit guides, or even from the mighty Archangels themselves. These people tend to have the least abuse thrown at them because they believe they are “doing God’s work”, and are unwittingly lead (and lead others) down the path of improper spirituality.

The final group of mention is the group that of the genuine Mediums. These are the people who conduct private seances in a genuine fashion for a small fee or deed. They are the people who receive psychic visions etc about various things such as murders and are usually simply using their gifts to help other, not unlike the above group. The only thing that separates this group from actual Adepts is their training and knowledge. Since various Spirits have convinced them that the information they receive is truthful, they simply sit with their gifts and usually do not develop them past a certain level, manipulating them for private reasons to the detriment of no other persons.

Understand that whether a Medium be genuine or false, they are not really any better off. Mediumship as a proper art is a dangerous game to play, and rarely is it (in modern times) accompanied by rituals and banishings to ensure the safety of the Medium and her clientele.

V. The Knowledge Factor
If my readers have put up with the literature so far, no doubt a very common question has come into mine. “But I saw a Medium and she knew that my dog was called Toby and that I was wanting to move into the Real Estate business. How could she have known these things unless she really was a psychic?”
Indeed this is the one thing that any Medium of the above four groups can make use of to shoot their credibility to the heights of Mt. Olympus. However, contemporaries such as Levi have shown us the way with extensive doctrines on the concept of the Astral Light. This substance is known under various terms including Akasa, Ether, Prana, etc. It is essentially the spirit principle (in this sense not referring to Spirit entities), which pervades this and other spheres and has an influence on all elements as it is the top point on the sacred Pentagram.

The concept of the Astral Light is that it permeates all things, including our minds, bodies and Spirits. This permeation enables it to be influenced by all thoughts and actions occurring on any sphere. In other words, all thoughts, deeds, words, etc. are all stored in the Astral light, which is the concept behind the Akashic Records.

How is this relevant to Mediums you ask? It is the key factor behind most Mediumistic activity. Since these memories are stored in the Astral Light, a sensitive person (ie. A “genuine psychic”) is able to pick up on these things and read them very easily, possibly without any knowledge of where this information comes from. However, it is also the skills of various Spirits to read this Astral information, as well as the memories and thoughts of unguarded individuals. It is therefore possible for a vulgar Elemental creature to read the memories of the people at the seance, and simply repeat this information to them. This gains the Spirit (and the Medium) an incredible amount of trust and usually from them it is not questioned that they are genuinely channelling the spirits of our dear Uncle Bob.

VI. Trust
So how then do we know if they are or are not channelling a trustworthy entity? This really relates down to the level of training the individual has received. The Modern Marvels simply make up their own attunement systems, which instantly confer the supposed powers unto the people who have enough money to buy this “sacred art” As with all approaches to the Occult Arts, everything and everyone should be viewed objectively and with caution. The minute a person becomes a Guru to you, you will believe everything that comes out of their mouth. This author has personally fallen under the influence of at 2 such people who have displayed such interesting talents of Mediumship and Healing that they do indeed seem to be walking the path of truth, and followed them each for a substantial amount of years. The best bet is to stay away from Mediums and Mediumship altogether. If Spirit Invocation and Evocation be your goal, then train for the great deal of years that is required to be able to properly discern the truth behind the spirits and their words.

VII. Words of Caution
Several of you may have now formulated the argument “if you have fallen into this trap before, who are you to say that these other methods are true?” I will have to dispel this argument with simple statement. Helena Blavatsky, Aleister Crowley, Eliphas Levi Zahed, Israel Regardie, Arthur Edward Waite, Dion Fortune. A very small fragment of a long list of earlier generations’ Initiates and Adepts. These people not only wrote various amazing works, but they worked them on the physical level. The best example would probably be Blavatsky herself, who was credited by multiple sources of accomplishing amazing feats such as the production of incredible aromas, teleportation of objects, and even pure manifestation of hands, arms, faces and rose petals at the wave of her hand. Now I ask that you show me one Modern Marvel who can boast any of these feats. The modern concept is that such things as Blavatsky’s powers are not possible, and the only magic that can occur is easing of the mind. Nowadays something like feeling a warm rush on your arm is considered an “Angel Miracle” and getting extra money because you prayed hard is considered Divine Intervention (despite the fact that to obtain money should never be the goal a true Magician).
If the Angels that were channelled are as incredibly powerful as they have been described throughout the ages, surely they could do more than make ones arm feel warm.

Now my friends I do not say that just because a person has powers, that they are to be called trustworthy, but certainly that they have undergone training sufficient enough to make them far more credible than those imposters who claim to bear the Promethean Flame.

So I thank you, my readers, for your diligence in viewing this article. As I stated at the beginning, it is not necessary for you to take this as truth, it is simply a compilation of opinions from the Adepts of previous generations and the opinion of the author shaped by his various experiences in the field of Occultism. If this has helped, in any small degree, the person who is not sure if those who they read or meet have credibility, then my task is accomplished.

Namaste,
            IsApOs
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 07:24:10 PM by IsApOs »

May 18, 2007, 08:12:38 PM
Reply #1

Oriens Lvx Lucis

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Good article.  It reminds me of the Rosicrucian Fellowship's view on mediumship.

Namaste

May 19, 2007, 12:57:02 PM
Reply #2

no_one_2000

• A Veritas Regular

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Veritas' Favorite Lurker
    • View Profile
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.  It was very informative and well written.  Good job!

May 27, 2007, 07:19:38 AM
Reply #3

Raitaro

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Knight of Wands
    • View Profile
Hmm, this raises a question for me.
 A friend of mine showed me a cell-phone video of a seance he and his friends did. His friend 'Steven' is supposedly an accomplish medium. When one girl seemed to be in great anguish (later she said something about 'freaky pictures in my head') Steven merely walked up and said "Stop" and she was fine again.
 Assuming this is genuine, what mechanism would he have used (remembering he has no practical experience in magic) to have accomplished this?
The IneptInitiate
http://xkcd.com/303/
http://xkcd.com/123/

I got a hot girl and the coolest band I know. I gotta bad habbit of smoking before the show.
I got music I got friends I trust and love. I get into a lot of fights and now my knuckles are all fucked up.....

May 27, 2007, 05:46:28 PM
Reply #4

IsApOs

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
A good question Raitaro. This would have probably an influx of the Astral Light I spoke of in the article. During a Seance, everybody becomes extremely open, and it is not unusual for several people in the room to experience Mediumistic phenomena.

To simply say "stop" would have been Stevens way of commanding the Astral Light (along with the girls mind) to subside it's activity (Somewhat like mesmerism, which is the higher form of hypnotism.) Whether or not Steven was aware of this, I am doubtful. Most Mediums work through their entire careers without even hearing the words Astral Light (or Akasha etc.) To him he may have thought he was banishing an entity, whereas he was most likely simply controlling this force since Mediums have at least some small degree of control of this, mainly brought about through their faith that they are making spirits subservient.

In the event that this DID happen to be an entity, it would have been an elemental wearing a mask (which is also covered in the article). These things are generally extremely weak and even the weakest willed person stands a significant chance in banishing one. Such spirits perform a great many mental things to various people at seances to increase their "validity" and secure some small degree of belief and even worship by doing so.

I hope this has answered your question.

Namaste
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 03:01:45 AM by IsApOs »

June 04, 2007, 11:48:07 AM
Reply #5

Sekhmet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Warrior...Not Princess... Klutz...
    • View Profile
IsApos, I'm not even sure I believe in mediumship and I can possibly do what you are describing, which is talk to spirits or sense spirits. I have no idea if that's even real. I'm therefore skeptical and neurotic which is a better space to be in than randomly believing everything you hear. What is the Rosicrucian's view on mediumship?

Assuming this is genuine, what mechanism would he have used (remembering he has no practical experience in magic) to have accomplished this?

Did he use hypnosis? I'm reading a book called Thinking Critically about New Age Ideas. Its definitely a must-read for this website. Author is William D. Gray. IsApos, I'm asking you if you think mediumship is real, if my guessing the exact details of a spirit and being accurate, is well, accurate, and may I PM you with further details that I'd rather not post to protect privacy? Thank you for your article, it clarifies what is foolish mediumship and what is not foolish mediumship. As someone who has finally posted on this website about mediumship, I'd like to hear from you more about that in the future. I know summoning is more popular here than mediumship itself but I myself have the talent of mediumship to an extent though I don't really talk about it to the average person unless they respect it. Even spirits say to me "if you're questioning the fact I'm saying something to you, then you're really hearing it", but I'm still skeptical.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 10:11:57 AM by Sekhmet »
Boo-ya!

June 14, 2007, 01:37:16 AM
Reply #6

IsApOs

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
Sekhmet, hypnosis (in the generic meaning) was not used. However, the fact that the subject was being controlled by the astral light, and that the medium managed to control this astral light could, in a sense, be deemed hypnosis for it is similar in its function.

What I will basically tell you is that you should stay away from Mediumship. The trick of them saying "if you are questioning it you are hearing it" is identical in its wording to the method that was used to trick me. It will lead you down a path of dependance and delusion so I strongly insist you cease paying them attention now. The question this will raise for you will be something like "well what if this ONE is proper?" The answer is, it is never worth the risk. The danger does not really lie in whether or not what you are experiencing is REAL, it is whether or not it is TRUE. You do not want to get caught up thinking you are communicating with Goddesses and Archangels, THAT is where the danger lies.

I am not fully versed in the ideas of the Rosicrucians, but I do believe that they share a view that basically magnifies my essay, in that mediumship is a curse of the fools. If a person is a passive medium, they are most unlucky. If they are training to be a medium, they are the most foolish of people.

I have actually ceased active participation on Veritas, and as such will not be available to help you as often as you might like. If you wish for particular continuation, feel free to PM me and I will try to respond to you as soon as I can.

Namaste