Author Topic: Copyright violation  (Read 5197 times)

May 17, 2007, 10:24:12 AM
Read 5197 times

Adityanath

• View Profile
The works of Shri Gurunath Mahendranath are protected by copyright. No
permission has been granted for them to be republished on vsociety.net.

As editor of Shri Mahendranath's works and representative of the copyright
holder, the International Nath Order, I must ask you to remove the following
documents from your site which you are publishing without permission:

The Magick Path of Tantra
url:
http://files.vsociety.net/data/library/Section%201%20(A,G,M,S,Z)/Mahendranath,%20Shri%20Gurudev/Unknown%20Album/The%20Magical%20Path%20of%20Tantra_%20The%20Orga.pdf

The Tantra of Blowing the Mind
url:
http://files.vsociety.net/data/library/Section%201%20(A,G,M,S,Z)/Mahendranath,%20Shri%20Gurudev/Unknown%20Album/The%20Tantra%20of%20Blowing%20the%20Mind.pdf

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Peace, Freedom & Happiness,

Adityanath

May 17, 2007, 01:03:21 PM
Reply #1

XIII

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• B̮̜̳̲͕ͦ̍͟ͅe̡̋̈́ͬ̐ả̬̹̳̼̫̜̟͂͛ͣû̓͑̚t̀̉҉̤y̌͂

• View Profile
The files have been removed until further notice. Our apologies.
<@kobok> And if you push hard enough, you can shove quite a lot into a chicken.

<@Trowa> When someone told him to jump off a cliff, he argued the semantic meanings of "jump" and "cliff", and then proceeded to do just that.

May 17, 2007, 02:01:41 PM
Reply #2

`Nazukarr

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I am not this hair, I am not this skin, I am the soul that lives within.

May 17, 2007, 03:18:36 PM
Reply #3

Adityanath

• View Profile
Thanks for the quick response!

May 18, 2007, 07:22:01 AM
Reply #4

Raitaro

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Knight of Wands
    • View Profile
Might I add that we have no permission to post the majority (if not all) of the books that we have done...
The IneptInitiate
http://xkcd.com/303/
http://xkcd.com/123/

I got a hot girl and the coolest band I know. I gotta bad habbit of smoking before the show.
I got music I got friends I trust and love. I get into a lot of fights and now my knuckles are all fucked up.....

May 18, 2007, 08:01:23 AM
Reply #5

Julianus

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
First of all, most works here in Veritas have been published decades ago and after a certain period of time (50 years?) the author (or any other individual) does not have any ownership rights over it.

Secondly, a great proportion of them has been written during Renaissance, the middle ages and the ancient times. Such books are considered "classics" and are not bound by any copyright laws.

Thirdly, Veritas does not use these books for profit.

Fourthly, concerning the books which are still protected by copyright laws and are hosted by Veritas, I'd have to say that we are not the only ones. Try searching on the web for books on the occult (or any other topic) and have a look at how many sites will pop up.

If the majority though does not wish to violate such a law, there could still be a way to "cheat" such regulations in a legal way. What could be done would be simply to link the copyrighted books to other websites instead of hosting them here. In that way, Veritas will not have any problem at all.

This is an extreme situation though. As I previously said, there are hundreds of others websites - even bigger than Veritas - who host e-books. If any editor would really have a problem, he would firstly contact those sites; Veritas is too small comparing to them.
A thorough familiarity with the occult faculties of everything existing in nature, visible as well as invisible; their mutual relations, attractions, repulsions; the cause of these; in other words a profound and exhaustive knowledge of natural law this was and is the basis of magic.
- Blavatsky

May 18, 2007, 10:39:15 AM
Reply #6

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
"First of all, most works here in Veritas have been published decades ago and after a certain period of time (50 years?) the author (or any other individual) does not have any ownership rights over it. " Unless the copyright is renewed or is bought by someone else.

"Secondly, a great proportion of them has been written during Renaissance, the middle ages and the ancient times. Such books are considered "classics" and are not bound by any copyright laws." The general contents of the original books would indeed become public domain, but if we are hosting materials published by companies which have copyrights over their publications then we would indeed be in violation of copyrights regardless of how old the material is. For instance, I have the first of Agrippa's books republished by Kenssinger and if I scanned it into pdf format and uploaded it to my personal freewebs account then I would be in violation of that specific copyright.

"Thirdly, Veritas does not use these books for profit." One of the few loopholes that allow us to host some books.

"Fourthly, concerning the books which are still protected by copyright laws and are hosted by Veritas, I'd have to say that we are not the only ones. Try searching on the web for books on the occult (or any other topic) and have a look at how many sites will pop up. " Two wrongs don't make a right.

"If the majority though does not wish to violate such a law, there could still be a way to "cheat" such regulations in a legal way. What could be done would be simply to link the copyrighted books to other websites instead of hosting them here. In that way, Veritas will not have any problem at all." Then it would depend on the laws which pertain to our webhosting server as to whether providing links to illegal material would still be a violation, as some places do have laws which prohibit something as vague and generic as providing means of access to illegal materials. It's rare, but such laws do exist in some places.

"This is an extreme situation though. As I previously said, there are hundreds of others websites - even bigger than Veritas - who host e-books. If any editor would really have a problem, he would firstly contact those sites; Veritas is too small comparing to them." The RIAA sued I-don't-know-how-many students and individual citizens for file sharing a few years ago, but they hit hard. Regardless of whether we're the biggest fish in the pond, or just an easily caught fish, if the copyright holders decide to go after us then they have every legal right to do so if we are breaking a copyright violation.

Raitaro's statement is a very astute observation and the only two things which save us are allowances for non-profit uses of copyrighted materials (though even these are limited in ways that we could be over-stepping) and the lack of action on the part of the publishers.

~Steve
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 10:42:47 AM by Steve »
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

May 18, 2007, 03:01:57 PM
Reply #7

Vecna

• Posts By Osmosis

• Heartless Admin

• Personal Text
    The Silence Between the Void
    • View Profile
All books hosted at Veritas are required (by our host if nothing else) to be legal.  Therefore if we host books in error, and someone points this out we take them down.  That's all there is to it really.

~Vecna

May 19, 2007, 02:04:32 AM
Reply #8

Tempest Desh

• Veritas Furniture

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Wannabe Techno-Dervish and Court-Fool-In-Training
    • View Profile
Two wrongs don't make a right.

But, three rights make a left...
"Appear as you are. Be as you appear." - Mawlana Rumi (ra)