Author Topic: A new theory of Solomonic Magic  (Read 7901 times)

May 07, 2007, 04:36:22 PM
Read 7901 times

AgioMagikos

• View Profile
ok so i have put together a book, The Book of Art, whoevre wants it can contact me in #vsociety , my nick is `joseph, and Lamech, heres the intro:

EDITOR’S INTRODUCTION
I think some remarks concerning what these Books mean to me are necessary, so that all my work which I have done on them will not have been in vain. So, that I will be able to at least express my own ideas about what they mean to me, and how I feel they are to be put into practice. But, most especially to show that there is a complete system of High Magic within the pages of the Clavicula Salomonis.

The thing of which to take note, is that the Book of Art(this present work) is really divided into two books.

The Explanation of the First Book
This one is a Book of Planetary Talismanic Magic. In particular, in this present work, it has been my intention that the Aspirant complete the entire First Book in order to familiarise himself with the Planetary Energies which are attributed to the various Pentacles, and also the Basic movements of Magic Ceremonies. And only then to move on to the Second Book.

The Explanation of the Second Book
This one is the “Book of the Secrets of Nature” which is a more ancient form of Taro than any I have ever come upon. It was originally to be made out of four smaller Books, each one attributed to one of the four elements, and a letter of the Tetragrammaton, and etc. as is explained in the book itself. But, the idea is for the Aspirant once he has established Himself with the Planetary Energies to move on to the Heights of which is spoken in the Book of Art, “These Thirty-Six Talismans(One on each side, 2x36=72.) will be a Book which will contain all the Secrets of Nature. And by their diverse combinations thou shalt make the Genii and Angels speak.” It is my belief that these are the Evocations with which the larger, Circle of Art, was originally meant to be employed;
and thus also the instructions included with It. Including the Conjurations and Constraints which I have not included in the First Book, because I feel that they were meant to be used in the evocations of the 72 Angels of the Shemhamphorash which is for the Second Book.

-good luck and have fun :)

May 07, 2007, 06:25:03 PM
Reply #1

Oriens Lvx Lucis

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Tell me, how much experience have you with Solomonic magic, and evocation?

May 07, 2007, 10:13:21 PM
Reply #2

Veos

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
    Sounds like you know your stuff.  I have done several works with the Solomonic dieties, and have used most of his Talismans for various reasons.  I'm a hermetic magician and Kabbalist myself, but I have alot of respect for Solomonic magicians.  Send me your work, I'd love to critique it.  When someone shows that they know their stuff, I like to make sure they really do.  Email is fra.Veos@Gmail.com   I'm not really a "chat" person, so email would work out much better.  thanks.
Soham Sivoham Aham Brahma Asmi Mahavakya
Suddha satchitananda purna parabrahma
Chidananda Rupa Sivoham Sivoham

June 07, 2007, 10:27:31 AM
Reply #3

Darkrain

• A Veritas Regular

• Greenhorn

• View Profile
I was drawn by the strong pull attached to this thread, so I want the books but maybe a stupid question but is solomonic magic related to the teachings of solomon?
THE HOMEWORK NEVER ENDS-It's a rolling dream, What I'd like to go after
Even if tomorrow turns pale I shall get it and show you
It's a rolling dream, What I'd like to go after
If you stop it will get away, It's a matter of not losing heart

It's a rolling dream........
 Believe

June 09, 2007, 04:26:00 AM
Reply #4

Julianus

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
Solomonic Magic was supposedly practiced by Solomon the King and he passed his Art to us. However, his Keys are believed to be translations of manuscripts from the 15th century and not to be written by him. However, this has not been adequately verified by historical sources.
A thorough familiarity with the occult faculties of everything existing in nature, visible as well as invisible; their mutual relations, attractions, repulsions; the cause of these; in other words a profound and exhaustive knowledge of natural law – this was and is the basis of magic.
- Blavatsky

June 09, 2007, 07:14:54 AM
Reply #5

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
There is no historical evidence whatsoever that Solomon practiced magic in any form.

The "best" evidence for it in the bible is that the bible mentions Solomon turned to worship other gods, but makes no mention of him practicing magic or summoning spirits.

The "best" evidence against it is that there is as of yet no historical/archeological proof that King Solomon from the bible even existed. Coupled with that is the fact that many grimoires of spirits began "turning up" (aka, being written) during the middle ages as though it were some sort of fad and one can easily deduce that such things do not come from Solomon. It is also during these times that such myths as the black knight and the holy grail came to be.

~Steve
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 07:25:33 AM by Steve »
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

June 09, 2007, 09:30:00 PM
Reply #6

Oriens Lvx Lucis

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Steve: Generally that is true, but you are forgetting one fact (which may matter to you or not, depending on your belief in it):

Evocation of spirits, especially angels, usually yields knowledge of such things.  For example, accomplishing an evocation of an elemental emperor such as Paralda of Air or Ghob or Earth (two elemental kings) and subsequently earning their trust could lead the magician to getting a valuable teacher, among other things.  Teachers such as these can often grant all-around magical knowledge, knowledge of all arts and sciences, specific knowledge, and clandestine knowledge.  In fact, one may learn virtually anything from finding the proper spirit and evoking it.  A person could learn a language, an entirely new system of magic, how to paint magnificent art, learn new abilities, how to dance, etc.  For instance, Metatron can aid an individual in technology.  This is how a magician may learn about biblical history; by ecoking an angel who was existing in biblical times.

However, spirits specialized in areas of knowledge, or just about any spirit for that matter, can only be evoked after years of training on the part of the magician.  In this day and age evocation has been vastly underestimated and thus people try it without even developing spiritual sight (the necessary form of clairvoyance for evocation) or even clairaudience.  In fact, people try to replace all the ritual items and use just their imagination without training their minds to use the ritual regalia first (which has more uses than simple psychological impact and aid).

Solomon is said to have turned towards a spirit named "Astarte" who is present in the Goetia, a book of the Lesser Key of Solomon.  This can mean many things for a wide variety of people; perhaps you should analyze it.  It might help with understanding why Solomon's Goetia adopted the attribution to Solomon the King.

Namaste

June 09, 2007, 09:49:05 PM
Reply #7

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I don't think you get what I mean, so I'll demonstrate:

Excerpt from Solomon's Personal Diary:
Day 34: Have not yet summoned up Ashtoreth, beginning to think she doesn't exist. Those other demons, notably ADLKILNUOW and JKI, who's appearance were that of light skinned brothers, one with a pitchfork and the other with a scythe indicating them as Generals who oversee spirits that watch over the harvests of men, were most helpful in teaching me about the times of our patriarch Moses and our primary ancestor Adam. I now feel fully justified in saying that Adam was given knowledge of making jello by Yahweh at the beginning of the world, although the knowledge seems to be lost in this day and age.

Later this night, 7 Manik of the month of January, with the aid of Saint George W. Bush and by dipping my Staff in Holy Water blessed by the Virgin Mary I hope to finally learn the secrets of living with 1500 wives... though I fear even magic will not help me with that.

End excerpt.

Just because it's written down doesn't mean it's historically correct. I face this fact every time I pick up the bible and read. I will not see other people mistake theology for history and then teach it to others as though it were factual history either.

Another good example is the Necronomicon, which is entirely fictional but which some magicians these days use anyway. To confuse the "history" of the Necronomicon presented in the necronomicon with the factual history of it's creation would be a mistake.

~Steve
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 09:52:10 PM by Steve »
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

June 09, 2007, 10:03:50 PM
Reply #8

Oriens Lvx Lucis

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
No Steven, I got that.  I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that.

Allow me to rephrase and simplify my point; it seems I was a bit incoherent.

My point is that, regardless of Solomon truly being a magician, skilled magicians can learn history, very old history even, through evocation of an appropriate spirit who serves as a teacher.

Namaste

June 27, 2007, 09:54:20 AM
Reply #9

Zohar

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
I don't think you get what I mean, so I'll demonstrate:

Excerpt from Solomon's Personal Diary:
Day 34: Have not yet summoned up Ashtoreth, beginning to think she doesn't exist. Those other demons, notably ADLKILNUOW and JKI, who's appearance were that of light skinned brothers, one with a pitchfork and the other with a scythe indicating them as Generals who oversee spirits that watch over the harvests of men, were most helpful in teaching me about the times of our patriarch Moses and our primary ancestor Adam. I now feel fully justified in saying that Adam was given knowledge of making jello by Yahweh at the beginning of the world, although the knowledge seems to be lost in this day and age.

Later this night, 7 Manik of the month of January, with the aid of Saint George W. Bush and by dipping my Staff in Holy Water blessed by the Virgin Mary I hope to finally learn the secrets of living with 1500 wives... though I fear even magic will not help me with that.

End excerpt.

Just because it's written down doesn't mean it's historically correct. I face this fact every time I pick up the bible and read. I will not see other people mistake theology for history and then teach it to others as though it were factual history either.

Another good example is the Necronomicon, which is entirely fictional but which some magicians these days use anyway. To confuse the "history" of the Necronomicon presented in the necronomicon with the factual history of it's creation would be a mistake.

~Steve
By whose standards? Just because you believe something to be false, doesn't mean it is. Just like how you can believe something to be true, and in actuality it is false. I do not personally believe that the Necronomicon is a true account of actual events. However, if someone does choose to believe in it and practice its teachings, then so be it. Also, the necronomicon is often employed by discordians, or chaos magicians. Which, by their standards, they are tapping into the energy that has been associated with it on the astral plane through past attempts, by cults and such, to work with the spirits therein, which has made an unintentional egregore.

My point is, just because that you believe something to be false doesn't mean that it is. Many times, strict religious devotion to and application of false beliefs can create just as potent results as those that are deemed "true" by the mainstream. Like you said, the bible, (and Torah), could actually be false accounts of the true creation of the universe, but its followers remain faithful to its word and hope for the best, (many times experiencing worthwhile results). Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, there are lots of Buddhists reaching enlightenment and having their own personal experiences, reaffirming their faith. I refuse to subjugate myself to the belief that one set of ideas are completely true. It is my belief that you should always reevaluate your beliefs and practices and put them to the test.
_______________________________________________________________________________ ______________

AgioMagikos, your book definitely sounds like an interesting read, and I'd be very interested on seeing your perspective on the Solomonic grimoires. Perhaps you could send a copy to me at burning_redemption@hotmail.com.
G-d created the world in the image of the world above; all which is found above has its analogy below... and everything constitues a unity.

June 28, 2007, 09:37:09 PM
Reply #10

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Zohar: Which has nothing to do with my explanation that Solomon of the bible is not the author of the books that claim to be written by him.

~Steve

June 28, 2007, 10:26:21 PM
Reply #11

Zohar

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
Steve:
But, you based your deduction of the Solomonic grimoires not actually being written by Solomon himself because there is no conclusive evidence to prove that they were his works. So, my point is that just because there is no conclusive evidence of them being written by Solomon himself doesn't mean that they were. My post was just a statement on how just because there is no archeological evidence supporting that they were in fact written by him, doesn't mean that they weren't. Those of us who have worked and do work with the Solomonic practices and entities therein can only trust that it is true. Much like how Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, etc. can only trust that their holy texts are true, because there is no proof that any of them are the word of their God-Head(s). While there is no evidence to prove that it was written by him, there is no evidence supporting that it wasn't. This was, in fact, related to previous statements.
G-d created the world in the image of the world above; all which is found above has its analogy below... and everything constitues a unity.

June 28, 2007, 10:52:49 PM
Reply #12

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Okay. There is no historical evidence to prove they were written by him, so because there is no historical evidence to prove they weren't written by him, then they could have been?

Ignoring the faults in logic of "proving a negative" and "onus of proof", there IS historical evidence to prove they were not written by Solomon. 1) They were written about two thousand years after he supposedly lived, with no evidence of any sort of oral or hidden tradition passing it down through the ages, and 2) the terminology used within the goetia itself is clearly post-christian and cannot be mistaken as pre-christian writing by any except those who don't want to acknowledge the truth that Solomon didn't write it.

~Steve
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 10:54:37 PM by Steve »

June 29, 2007, 12:09:16 AM
Reply #13

Veos

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
   We can sit here and rant about "Historical evidence" concerning everything from the authenticity of the Bible to where I put my shoes down yesterday.  In some cases (such as my shoes), we just simply can't find out, due to the lack of evidence at all!  Did King Solomon write the Keys of Solomon?  Of course not!  It was written by a medieval magician, and is a very effective grimoire nontheless.  Was Solomon a magician?  There isn't enough ample proof for any side to argue a definite answer.  Now it is quite easy for a magician to evoke an angel and experience past historic events as if he were actually there.  If someone is concerned as to whether or not Solomon was a magician, then either look in the memory of nature, or have an Angel instruct you.  People can argue about evidence all day long, but for the love of God, don't talk about "material evidence" on a magick forum, especially about a topic pertaining to a race of people who passed down everything orally for hundreds of years before they ever wrote anything down!  There's no "evidence" that science has a hold of, that shows a magician isn't actually just schizophrenic.  There's no historical "evidence" that Christ was immaculately concepted, or that he ressurrected.  There are just as many people who claim they have evidence for such things as there are people who claim to have evidence against such things.  Evidence is illusory and only consists of puzzle pieces.  Why not simply experience, and lay "evidence" and all of its theories behind?  And Steve, to hear a religious man talk about "evidence" and "proof" so much is a bit astounding. Evidence is simply a matter of how far mankind can look backwards, and "proof" and "science" is true one day, and false another.  Even the "Law" of relativity is slowly becoming less and less accurate, due to changes in the Universal makeup that they were unable to detect when the Law was created.  More and more of the Mystery teachings that have been taught for thousands of years are slowly being proven true by science after centuries of attack against such beliefs.  Even as far back as the Greek mystery schools it was taught that all matter was made of vibrations, as science is currently finding true.  The ancient Kabbalistical texts teach of a Solar system that revolves around a Sun, opposed to the Geocentric view that was taken as the gospel truth for centuries.  The magnetism of the human body and the existence of the Aura has been known among Occultists since the beginning,  while "science" has only in this century proved the existence of such a bio-magnetic field around the body, which they sternly opposed for centuries.  The origin of life was taught in such schools durring a time when Science completely believed in spontaneous generation.  The existence of the ethers was denied constantly by science until they needed an explanation for the atomic theory.  Quantum physics is comming so close to having to admit to the existence of a spiritual world (or 4th dimension) that it is driving them up the walls.  The list goes on and on.  Science truly is amazing, and when it has reached its climax it will be a beautiful thing, but it is still very young.  I believe that in the end we will see a marriage between Occult Science and Material Science, but we are obviously still a ways away from that. 

~Veos           
Soham Sivoham Aham Brahma Asmi Mahavakya
Suddha satchitananda purna parabrahma
Chidananda Rupa Sivoham Sivoham

June 29, 2007, 12:23:19 AM
Reply #14

Zohar

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
Okay. There is no historical evidence to prove they were written by him, so because there is no historical evidence to prove they weren't written by him, then they could have been?

Ignoring the faults in logic of "proving a negative" and "onus of proof", there IS historical evidence to prove they were not written by Solomon. 1) They were written about two thousand years after he supposedly lived, with no evidence of any sort of oral or hidden tradition passing it down through the ages, and 2) the terminology used within the goetia itself is clearly post-christian and cannot be mistaken as pre-christian writing by any except those who don't want to acknowledge the truth that Solomon didn't write it.

~Steve
Have you ever heard of translation? The bible doesn't resemble the biblical era of speaking, but yet... Some still acknowledge it as the word of God. Often times, translated texts are not word for word to help make it more understandable for current times. Also, since when is there EVIDENCE of oral/hidden traditions? Last time I checked, oral traditions are regarded as oral because there is no hard-evidence to back up what has been passed down, (therefore being passed down by tounge from generation to generation), and hidden implies that its works and texts haven't been in plain view, because they were HIDDEN. Lastly, it supposedly wasn't written 2000 years after he lived, it was supposedly rediscovered or retranslated from something that earlier existed.

Now then, just because you believe that something is fake, doesn't mean that everyone abides by your viewpoints. The work of magick comes down to personal experience, any way you look at it. I don't care if you think that it's a fake, just like how you most likely don't care that I think the New Testament is a highly fabricated and mostly ficticious account of a man that did exist, but wasn't the messiah. Your thoughts on the Goetia not being a true account directly reflect the thoughts of others believing that the Bible isn't actually the word of God. You have had your experiences, and we who have worked with the Solomonic entities have had ours. As far as anyone's concerned, Solomon may have not even existed in the first place... But some acknowledge that he did and some acknowledge that he wrote these books.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 12:25:09 AM by Zohar »