Author Topic: Freedom and Man  (Read 2281 times)

April 16, 2007, 01:18:30 PM
Read 2281 times

Julianus

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
Freedom and Man

Freedom; that for which man has always been fighting. That for which dynasties have fallen, nations have been ruined, people have been killed. In the name of freedom man has done great achievements but he has also caused great catastrophes as freedom, just by pronouncing the word, gives great power to man. With the word “freedom” were dictatorships formed and unfair wars were carried out. With the word freedom, however, the individual became Man.

First and foremost, freedom has a lot of meanings but – as I think it has already been understood – here we will examine personal freedom which, however, evolves in social [freedom]. What is it that which made, makes and will be making man seek it? Man, as it is widely known, is a social being but, apart from that, he is also a being that continuously seeks perfection. Perfect, then, made man realize what is imperfect and it is from this knowledge that freedom has emanated. According to what we said, the person who seeks freedom is somebody who is consciously aware of imperfection and denies to be subjugated by it or to capitulate so, as a result, he makes what is possible in order to overcome it [imperfection]. Due to this, the meaning that man gives to his life is to overcome imperfection and head towards perfection, something that simultaneously also constitutes the definition of freedom.

For the individual, inequity, falsity, ignorance, unsightliness and indifference of life and Man, per se, are imperfections. When however he overcomes them and tends to make them perfect, when he transmutes inequity to justice, falsity to truth, ignorance to knowledge, ugliness to beauty and indifference to love for life, then he makes a wonderful discovery within him. He undergoes a metamorphosis; he is transformed from individual to Man. It is here that he discovers this Anthropos, the Hellenic word for Man which, if analyzed etymologically, we shall see that it is derived from “ano” and “throskein,” which means “To look beyond,” to look at perfect and try to reach it. This is really a Man, one who ceaselessly seeks perfection without accepting its opposite, imperfection and, I believe, it is that [this search for perfection] which, even more than logic and free will, distinguishes him from the animals.

We see that while we began with the definition of freedom, we were led to the definition of Man. What does that means? Undeniably that the relation of man and freedom is so much close that often these two seem to be as one because between them exists a strong attraction and it is understood that without the existence of one, it would be impossible for the other to exist: Without, that is to say, the existence of Man freedom could not exist and without freedom, Man would not exist either as he would be a mere animal.

- Julianus

Feel free to post your comments and/or criticism.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 01:20:05 PM by Julianus »
A thorough familiarity with the occult faculties of everything existing in nature, visible as well as invisible; their mutual relations, attractions, repulsions; the cause of these; in other words a profound and exhaustive knowledge of natural law – this was and is the basis of magic.
- Blavatsky

April 16, 2007, 04:50:35 PM
Reply #1

ThiefDeath

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• Personal Text
    Grammaton Cleric
    • View Profile
I don't get the point of this; It just seemed to go around in a circle.
[23:48] <DanielH> You guys are all strange
[23:48] <DanielH> You have a different way of thinking (which is wrong)

How about a shave?

April 16, 2007, 07:09:22 PM
Reply #2

Big Boss

• Posts By Osmosis

• Friggen Crazy

• Personal Text
    Owner of 100000 V-Points
    • View Profile
    • I'm a trendy blogger now.
it does sort of just point out the obvious, but it brings up a somewhat thought-provoking subject. Freedom vs. oppression in the context of evolution.

a friend and I were discussing a few weeks ago, what would be the best course of action in terms of government and social status and its affect on our evolution? do we let people be completely free, weeding out the weak, bringing out the strongest parts of all of us, or should we allow ourselves to be chained and ruled, treating even the weakest people equally to the strong? (weak meaning they display traits, both genetic and memetic that would limit their potential in their life)

perhaps it's just a matter of ethics, but I think the world is transforming into a static machine, where freedom is sought, but nobody wants to deal with the consequences of being truly free. It's dangerous to be socially free. It's also dangerous to be chained to society. where's the happy medium?
Join my Folding@Home team and do some good! #159490

Details at http://folding.stanford.edu/

April 17, 2007, 02:52:50 AM
Reply #3

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
Quote from: Martial Thoughts
perhaps it's just a matter of ethics
Right. Some people's ethics say that we should help the weak and try to help them live normal lives like the rest of us, other people's ethics say we should get rid of them for the greater good of humanity. Methodology aside, which is the better perspective?
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

April 17, 2007, 06:05:50 AM
Reply #4

ThiefDeath

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• Personal Text
    Grammaton Cleric
    • View Profile
Freedom in its simplest and purest form would be being able to do anything you wanted without any kind of opposition from an authority.  So, if you a have law saying that you cannot, for example, kill someone or steal things, then you aren't 100% free, now are you?  The taking away of our abilities and rights for the collective benefit of all is called the social contract.  A social contract by its very nature must limit freedom in some way, but is supposedly designed to, in return, make things better or promote order.  Every government and law is a form of social contract.  No form of government yields true freedom.  Freedom is merely a catch word each government may use to advertise what they think is a more desireable social contract.
[23:48] <DanielH> You guys are all strange
[23:48] <DanielH> You have a different way of thinking (which is wrong)

How about a shave?

April 17, 2007, 08:17:00 AM
Reply #5

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
As my social studies teacher once said in high school (probably a quote from somewhere else), "the Right of your fist ends where the Right of my nose begins", combined with the wiccan crede "and it harm none, do what you will", combined with the so-called golden rule "do not do to others that which you would not want done to yourself" (or "do to others as you would have them do to you"); in my opinion this is probably the best way to live one's life, while just ignoring the government unless it becomes necessary to relate to them in some manner. Like taxes >_>

Personal restrictions for the sake of ethics restrict freedom, but increase harmony.

True freedom by the definition of being able to do anything you desire to do without restriction is impossible due to restrictions placed upon us by government, social order, ourselves, those who are stronger than us, and even the universe itself (ie, I can't fly just because I want to).

~Steve

If I speak in the tongues(a) of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,(b) but have not love, I gain nothing.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
    Love never fails.

a. Or languages
b. Some early manuscripts "body that I may boast"
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

April 17, 2007, 08:41:16 AM
Reply #6

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
Quote from: Steve
As my social studies teacher once said in high school (probably a quote from somewhere else), "the Right of your fist ends where the Right of my nose begins", combined with the wiccan crede "and it harm none, do what you will", combined with the so-called golden rule "do not do to others that which you would not want done to yourself" (or "do to others as you would have them do to you"); in my opinion this is probably the best way to live one's life, while just ignoring the government unless it becomes necessary to relate to them in some manner. Like taxes >_>
Steve: Unfortunately, none of those can be enforced as to do so would restrict the very freedoms they try to create, thus one can only hope that everyone believes in them ;)
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

April 17, 2007, 09:17:33 AM
Reply #7

Julianus

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
I see that the problem here is the definition of freedom. From my perpective, freedom is the overcoming of imperfection and heading towards perfection.

I have found it to be correct so far. Why? For what is imperfection, on a social level at least, than slavery, occupation, dictatorship? Therefore, overcoming those obstacles and finding their opposites, is freedom.

Freedom in its simplest and purest form would be being able to do anything you wanted without any kind of opposition from an authority.

Another definition, more simple to comprehend, is that freedom is not the absence of obligations but the ability to choose them. I think this is more correct than saying that freedom is to be able to do anything; that is not freedom, that is anarchy.

So, if you a have law saying that you cannot, for example, kill someone or steal things, then you aren't 100% free, now are you?

Yes, you are free. First of all, I believe most would agree with the second - if not the first definition - I have provided. Now, if law does not allow you to kill or steal, it does not mean that it restricts your freedom.

You have made a choice: To become a member of a society (and this choice is an expression of freedom). Doing this means that you have also accepted some obligations such as to follow its rules and laws. However, you are not compelled to follow them; if you didn't want to, you could just leave that society and go somewhere else, probably in the wild.

If I speak in the tongues(a) of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,(b) but have not love, I gain nothing.

One of the best epistotles of Paul to Corinthians I have ever read and one of the best eulogies of love that have ever been written. Here it is complete:

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 09:21:36 AM by Julianus »
A thorough familiarity with the occult faculties of everything existing in nature, visible as well as invisible; their mutual relations, attractions, repulsions; the cause of these; in other words a profound and exhaustive knowledge of natural law – this was and is the basis of magic.
- Blavatsky

April 17, 2007, 03:44:43 PM
Reply #8

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
"Steve: Unfortunately, none of those can be enforced as to do so would restrict the very freedoms they try to create, thus one can only hope that everyone believes in them Wink" Oh, of course. Regarding those things I don't think they promote freedom so much as good living with the most appropriate restrictions limiting the least amount of freedom possible :) I may have not made it very clear, but they would all be voluntary personal restrictions on the part of anyone who chooses to adhere to them :)

~Steve

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does.
    If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
-James
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?