Author Topic: The Full Moon  (Read 6514 times)

March 29, 2007, 04:55:28 PM
Read 6514 times

jklo318

• Settling In

• View Profile
What are all of your views on it and how it affects metaphysical arts

March 29, 2007, 08:09:19 PM
Reply #1

`Nazukarr

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
It is known to affect the physical brain and alter behavior for a short while, hence terms like 'lunatic'. I don't really see much magical significance of the moon that isn't psychologically rendered.
I am not this hair, I am not this skin, I am the soul that lives within.

March 30, 2007, 04:08:51 PM
Reply #2

jklo318

• Settling In

• View Profile
so your opinion is is that it is all basically psychological and has noting to do with it at all

March 30, 2007, 04:17:35 PM
Reply #3

Big Boss

• Posts By Osmosis

• Friggen Crazy

• Personal Text
    Owner of 100000 V-Points
    • View Profile
    • I'm a trendy blogger now.
the moons effects on the earth and body are almost purely physical, due to the amount of light reflection and it's position (determining the gravitational pull) in the sky relative to whatever it may affect. if you look at any other thing and try to determine its affect on occult energy practice, you'll be hard pressed to see solid evidence that isn't psychological. for example, turning on a lightbulb doesn't make you more magical, nor does eating a banana, though all these things can benefit your practice, much like the moon, based on what you are using it for (a banana keeps your mind from wandering to hunger, and a lightbulb can help you see in the dark. Same with a full moon I suppose.).
Join my Folding@Home team and do some good! #159490

Details at http://folding.stanford.edu/

March 30, 2007, 04:42:02 PM
Reply #4

Oriens Lvx Lucis

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
The moon has certain effects on magic, yes.  For example, all the planets of the zodiac also affect magic, and are especially helpful for corresponding magical operations.  For more on this, I recommend you to the first book of the Three Books of Occult Philosophy by Cornelius Agrippa.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 08:13:54 PM by Oriens Lvx Lucis »

April 01, 2007, 01:48:08 AM
Reply #5

majesticflora

• Settling In

• View Profile
I have no personal experience with metaphysical practice during a full moon, but my physical "practice" is almost always altered. For the past few full moons my friends and I have had unbelievably crazy adventures and unexplainable events. I would agree with `Nazukarr on the lunatic bit as the last full moon kept me awake all night with wild thoughts that I couldn't control.

I would suggest looking into the Tarot meaning of "The Moon" card. I personally have found many similarities between the two.

Edit: Lol!!! Ok this is just bizarre...Right now it is almost 4AM and I am unable to sleep...nor could I easily sleep last night. Just for the heck of it I checked the current moon phase (It's been raining/cloudy for the past 4 or 5 days)...and the winner is: 98% full  :rolleyes: But I guess it's probably the reason you posted this message so it's not too bizarre.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 01:57:43 AM by majesticflora »

April 01, 2007, 11:38:48 PM
Reply #6

jklo318

• Settling In

• View Profile
I have no personal experience with metaphysical practice during a full moon, but my physical "practice" is almost always altered. For the past few full moons my friends and I have had unbelievably crazy adventures and unexplainable events. I would agree with `Nazukarr on the lunatic bit as the last full moon kept me awake all night with wild thoughts that I couldn't control.

I would suggest looking into the Tarot meaning of "The Moon" card. I personally have found many similarities between the two.

Edit: Lol!!! Ok this is just bizarre...Right now it is almost 4AM and I am unable to sleep...nor could I easily sleep last night. Just for the heck of it I checked the current moon phase (It's been raining/cloudy for the past 4 or 5 days)...and the winner is: 98% full  :rolleyes: But I guess it's probably the reason you posted this message so it's not too bizarre.
that is strange because I cannot sleep either I feel like I have to stay up and practice.

April 04, 2007, 12:50:32 AM
Reply #7

Windsmover001

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
I've used my own intuition on this subject, as well as a few "heard statistics", anyway, I think the moon being full and people getting " wild " is in our nature;  If you think about it, when the sky is clear and the moon is full, people can see better at night, hence I believe that the energy being reflected in a way "wakes us up", kinda like mother nature saying come out and play in the darkness.  Statistacally, I've heard more crimes are committed during full moons as well, and again the energy is still given off, it's how one uses the energy that we should all wonder about!

April 05, 2007, 03:52:59 PM
Reply #8

jklo318

• Settling In

• View Profile
Well apparently the majority believe that all the effects of the full moon are psychological.

April 05, 2007, 10:28:17 PM
Reply #9

Veos

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
    The moon has always been seen as a symbol and power of reverence, held in significance as being almost as important and powerful as the Sun.  Due to its affect on the Earth Sphere (both physical and Astral), it is very potent when used by a magician who understands its ray.  The most noticable affect it has on magick practices is the condensation of the Ethers (or Aethers), and the Astral Light in general.  This "condensation" or thickening of the ethers makes any harmonious ritual work done on this night to be considerably more successful, particularly when evoking a being.  It is not just chance that almost every culture has held special rituals for the New Moon, usually with religeous awe. 
    As far as the excess energy that is experienced by some people, it is usually triggered by the individual's horoscope, and the affect of the Lunar Rays upon the Planetary structure of the Person in quesion.

P.S: There is a Kabalistical secret of the New Moon as well.  Seek hard, and perhaps you'll find it, for such things are best found through Wisdom and Understanding, when they yield true knowledge. It is in no flaw that The Foundation is ever running to and fro, Illuminating the Kingdom.  Bind the Kingdom to see the Sun.  This is one secret of Levanah.

~Forgive the coded language above, but i'm quite fond of such little tests.  If you understand it, then you're on the right path.  If not, keep persevering.  All comes in time.
Soham Sivoham Aham Brahma Asmi Mahavakya
Suddha satchitananda purna parabrahma
Chidananda Rupa Sivoham Sivoham

April 06, 2007, 01:10:32 AM
Reply #10

Oriens Lvx Lucis

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile

P.S: There is a Kabalistical secret of the New Moon as well.  Seek hard, and perhaps you'll find it, for such things are best found through Wisdom and Understanding, when they yield true knowledge. It is in no flaw that The Foundation is ever running to and fro, Illuminating the Kingdom.  Bind the Kingdom to see the Sun.  This is one secret of Levanah.

Interesting...

So Chokmah, Binah, Yesod, and Malkuth are involved, concerning Sephiroth?  Yesod illuminates Malkuth..."bind" Malkuth to see the Sun.

The Moon is the Tarot card indicative of the path running from Malkuth to Netzach.  The Sun is the Tarot card on the path from Yesod to Hod.  If knowledge represents Da'ath (one revelation which I must thank Veos for personally), then it seems that through Chokmah and Binah, illumination on the part of the magician is achieved.  Then knowledge becomes supernal.

In any case, more time will be devoted to this subject.  Excellent.

Namaste.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 12:48:20 PM by Oriens Lvx Lucis »

April 06, 2007, 01:23:21 PM
Reply #11

Raitaro

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Knight of Wands
    • View Profile

Interesting...

So Chokmah, Binah, Yesod, and Malkuth are involved, concerning Sephiroth?  Yesod illuminates Malkuth..."bind" Malkuth to see the Sun.

I'm sure that code was supposed to be broken by us all individually.
Anyway, is the association between the Moon and all demonic forces genuine?
The IneptInitiate
http://xkcd.com/303/
http://xkcd.com/123/

I got a hot girl and the coolest band I know. I gotta bad habbit of smoking before the show.
I got music I got friends I trust and love. I get into a lot of fights and now my knuckles are all fucked up.....

April 06, 2007, 02:14:04 PM
Reply #12

Veos

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
No, there is no constant and mutual relationship between the lunar energies and demonic forces.  The moon does have an effect on such negative energies, but only when in its decline, and even then only when utilized properly by the magician.  Lunar dieties are quite complex creatures, and vary depending on the zodiac that the moon is in at the time.  Some of the bad-rep that the moon has is due to its lasting association with sex.  On a low and degraded level of magickal practice, yes, the moon is a very sexual force (even more so than Venus under right circumstances).  However, the moon represents a higher level of force than simple physical intercourse.  It represents the intercourse between forces, the marriage of opposites or "Alchemical Wedding" if you will.  There are no more demons in the Lunar ray than there are in any other celestial ray. 

April 06, 2007, 08:58:39 PM
Reply #13

sargon

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    Back from the dead
    • View Profile
What are all of your views on it and how it affects metaphysical arts

My $0.02: Anything that exists has properties that can be defined, & explained. The way we act upon these factors determines the results/consequences of our actions. The moon's properties are, like anything else, "magical." Everything has an effect, has karma. What the specific effects of the moon are I don't know :P

It is known to affect the physical brain and alter behavior for a short while, hence terms like 'lunatic'. I don't really see much magical significance of the moon that isn't psychologically rendered.

I was unaware of where "lunatic" came from, thanks for the info :) Your statement shows that the moon has a rich history within human culture. Therefore, I'd say it's safe to assume that the moon has more than a purely aesthetic influence

Quote from: Martial Thoughts
the moons effects on the earth and body are almost purely physical, due to the amount of light reflection and it's position (determining the gravitational pull) in the sky relative to whatever it may affect. if you look at any other thing and try to determine its affect on occult energy practice, you'll be hard pressed to see solid evidence that isn't psychological. for example, turning on a lightbulb doesn't make you more magical, nor does eating a banana, though all these things can benefit your practice, much like the moon, based on what you are using it for (a banana keeps your mind from wandering to hunger, and a lightbulb can help you see in the dark. Same with a full moon I suppose.).

I love the way you describe your point with the banana and a lightbulb :) The only thing I disagree with: Nothing is purely phsyical. Reality is a gradient of "dimensions." We split certain things that are only metaphysically coneceiverd (now at least), into seperate dimensions, but everything can be seen as a gradient. For example, a crystal, appears to externally be a type of rock. However, the properties of crystals extend far into our astral/spiritual dimensions.

Quote from: majesticflora

Edit: Lol!!! Ok this is just bizarre...Right now it is almost 4AM and I am unable to sleep...nor could I easily sleep last night. Just for the heck of it I checked the current moon phase (It's been raining/cloudy for the past 4 or 5 days)...and the winner is: 98% full  rolleyes But I guess it's probably the reason you posted this message so it's not too bizarre.

I often stay up all night just meditating for 8 hours or so. I think it's normal if you're going through the process of awakening, training, or whatever path thingie/what you want to call it. The moon definately influences my patters. But, there are greater forces than the moon, influencing greater patterns as well :) I'm not too concerned with those though.

Quote from: Windsmover001
I've used my own intuition on this subject, as well as a few "heard statistics", anyway, I think the moon being full and people getting " wild " is in our nature;  If you think about it, when the sky is clear and the moon is full, people can see better at night, hence I believe that the energy being reflected in a way "wakes us up", kinda like mother nature saying come out and play in the darkness.  Statistacally, I've heard more crimes are committed during full moons as well, and again the energy is still given off, it's how one uses the energy that we should all wonder about!

Yeah, but like anything else in our nature, it's there for a reason. The moon's affected properties trickle down, affecting our reality. Like the gradient stuff.

The moon has always been seen as a symbol and power of reverence, held in significance as being almost as important and powerful as the Sun.  Due to its affect on the Earth Sphere (both physical and Astral), it is very potent when used by a magician who understands its ray.  The most noticable affect it has on magick practices is the condensation of the Ethers (or Aethers), and the Astral Light in general.  This "condensation" or thickening of the ethers makes any harmonious ritual work done on this night to be considerably more successful, particularly when evoking a being.  It is not just chance that almost every culture has held special rituals for the New Moon, usually with religeous awe. 
    As far as the excess energy that is experienced by some people, it is usually triggered by the individual's horoscope, and the affect of the Lunar Rays upon the Planetary structure of the Person in quesion.

~Forgive the coded language above, but i'm quite fond of such little tests.  If you understand it, then you're on the right path.  If not, keep persevering.  All comes in time.

I have yet to discover those secrets, but it ties into my personal theories about mystical practices. Once you "get a hold of yourself," and begin the cleansing process (assuming you're not born clean, or became dirty from the surrounding environment), your awareness grows. Then you expereience different levels of the "gradient." So when you're ready for it, you'll learn the secrets of the "New Moon," and more specificaly, why the forces responsible for primal energy behind a New Moon exist.

I really like your avatar by the way, what does it symbolize? I can feel the energy, sitting in my chair at home :P

Quote from: Veos
No, there is no constant and mutual relationship between the lunar energies and demonic forces.  The moon does have an effect on such negative energies, but only when in its decline, and even then only when utilized properly by the magician.  Lunar dieties are quite complex creatures, and vary depending on the zodiac that the moon is in at the time.  Some of the bad-rep that the moon has is due to its lasting association with sex.  On a low and degraded level of magickal practice, yes, the moon is a very sexual force (even more so than Venus under right circumstances).  However, the moon represents a higher level of force than simple physical intercourse.  It represents the intercourse between forces, the marriage of opposites or "Alchemical Wedding" if you will.  There are no more demons in the Lunar ray than there are in any other celestial ray.

What is your opinion about demonic forces? At the point closest to "point zero," "singularity," or "god," where do you think these beings came from, or how did they manifest? I read an interesting article that proposes the idea that "demons" are a result of fearful thoughts within our species from long, long ago. It's a very self centered theory, but still interesting.

The moon, like anything else, has properties that "bleed" into different dimensions. The "higher" or more aware I become I realize how different things affect reality. It's as simple as that for me... I chose to use "I" instead of "you" in the last sentence because I don't want to project expectations. Someone may feel differently, and blah blah blah. I'll stop now before I start rambling... hehe

April 06, 2007, 09:53:23 PM
Reply #14

Veos

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
 Sargon,
There is a great deal that can be said about the origin of demons, which can occupy an entire book in itself if fully examined.  In as short and brief a way as possible, i'll give a quick overview of their origin according to a Kabalistic and Hermetic standpoint.  I use the Kaballah as the Pillar to all of my work, simply because so far it has proven to be the only 100% self coherent system that embodies a level of perfection that almost seems divinely constructed.  Back to the matter at hand.

First we have to consider Kliphotic dieties.  They were created by the inbalance on the Tree of Life, durring the Early formation of the 10 sephiroth.  By Kliphotic dieties, I mean the original forces of imbalance and disturbance that tried to create their own Tree of Life, but due to their imperfection, were incapable of constructing the 3 supernal sephiroth.  Thus, the farthest up the Tree they reach is chesed.  After the formation of the flawed Kliphotic Tree of Life, also called the "Other Side" or Kliphotic realm, other demons and spirits found their way there.

Then we have the "2/3 of the heavenly host" that were cast from the sky.  These were the Angels created on the Second Day of Creation.  among them is the infamous serpent known as Satan.  These were the first Fallen Angels. 

Proceeding along, next we encounter the bastard sons of Adam, after he was exiled from the Garden of Eden.  These are the "plagues of men"mentioned in genesis.  Do not confuse them with the Nephelim.

After them, we now recieve a testament from the Book of Enoch about the fallen watchers who descended with 200 angels upon Mount Hermon and had intercourse with virgin women.  The daughters became Sirens, and the sons became Nephelim.  In death, their souls became the first true demons.

Now, the number of demons is innumerable in the spiritual realms, as we see when certain Dukes and Princes show up with hundreds of thousands of infernal spirits.  Why so many? Obviously there is a constant means of generation to these now thriving "demonic" forces, or else we would only have the amount that was generated in the above acts.  As such, the above mentioned dieties are the only true fallen angels and demons proper.  The Kliphotic entities play a somewhat archetypal role as a general force or current, rather than a specific diety, though certian fallen angels fit quite nicley into the Kliphotic realms.  This being said, the "infernal spirits" mentioned in such grimoires as the Goetia, are not true demons, but are the result of imbalance, similiar to the kliphotic dieties, but on a much smaller scale.  The only true fallen angels and demons are the ones generated in the above mentioned events, or similiar ones.  As such, these spirits are ancient, and present themsleves as exceedingly powerful.  A true magician can bind them, but anyone else will fail, even when they think they have succeeded.

As a side note: The Avatar is the Hermetic Rose Cross, and too much could be written about it to post in a forum.  For a fairly simplified explanation of it, consult Israel Regardie's "Golden Dawn", and I'm sure Crowley undoubtedly mentions it somewhere as well.