Author Topic: The Aeon  (Read 1067 times)

March 14, 2007, 02:35:34 AM
Read 1067 times

aether11

• Settling In

• View Profile
Hello everyone.

I finished reading Crowley's Book of the Law and I decided to do some searches on it with google.

What I found was the basic information about the age of Horus, but I was baffled to see that there are people who beleive that we are also working side by side with the Aeon of Ma'at.

It seems to me like its a bunch of BS, but then I questioned...Who came up with the Aeonic time-frame?

It doesnt really make sense who can say "Were in this aeon, because we said so."

Then again, I cant really say if its true when Crowley said that The Booke of the Law ushured in the Aeon of Horus.

If anyone knows about this and has a reasonable answer please reply...

March 14, 2007, 03:45:40 AM
Reply #1

Tsumaru

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I've not read Liber Legis and aren't too familiar with Crowley and Thelema so I might have missed something in your question, but if memory serves - Crowley claims that Liber Al vel Legis, the Book of the Law, was dictated to him by en entity he called Aiwass who he claims was separate to himself. Apparently he also identifies it as his HGA, but it is supposedly individual to him and far more knowledgeable. As such, the whole idea of the aeons would have been taught based on the superior knowledge of this entity Aiwass.
don't believe everything you read... especially if it comes from me.

March 14, 2007, 10:06:39 AM
Reply #2

Prophecy

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Theurgist

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
The division of the human span of existence into Aeons is a very common occurrence in some of the more in-depth esoteric theologies.  These divisions are arguably the most pronounced in Theosophy, where they are dictated by the rulership of one of the seven rays which a Messiah always ushers in.  They are also found in Rosicrucian cosmogenies, where again eras are depicted according to the planetary influences of the time, often spanning tens of thousands of years.  The Hindu Vedanta also divides the span of existence up into rays dictated by certain gods.  Another popular division is into the rulership of zodiacal powers, and hence many people will be familiar with the term "Aquarian Age."

Crowley did nothing new with these divisions, as many of them correspond almost impossibly well with one another.  All he did was arrange them in accordance to his personal Egyptian pantheon, changing the spelling of names whenever he needed to in order for the gods to fit into his gematria. This was not a particularly difficult process.  The exchange between the Age of Harpocrates (Hoor-par-kraat) and the Age of Horus is the same thing as saying that the Christ Ray or Logos Ray, as more traditional cosmogenies call them, is exiting and we are entering into a new ray with a leader who is yet to emerge.  With a play of names, the setup becomes Egyptian.