Author Topic: The Veritable Magic  (Read 3365 times)

February 15, 2007, 06:45:40 PM
Read 3365 times

AgioMagikos

• View Profile
 :headwall:  <---does this look like you when it comes to getting results in magic?

Chapter 1
On the possible nonexistence of Solomon. Possible proof of his existence. On the necessity of unshakable faith in the Lord. Hermetic Connections.  Possibility of Solomon possessing the Sacred Magic. The Secret of Deciphering the Key.

The Veritable Magic of Solomon the King was first heard of through a certain, Rabbi Aben Ezra, who had supposedly, “discovered”, the Clavicle of Solomon the King. Which, in my opinion, are a collection of important Kabbalistic Magical teachings which were part of an oral tradition prior to Rabbi Aben Ezra’s version of them. Although, I don’t believe they were written by Solomon, nor do I believe Solomon ever existed. The concept of His existence became essential for Judao-Christian Traditions in its myriad forms. Since, Jesus was descended from Solomon, and Solomon was descended from David. If Solomon didn’t exist, then the family line of the Messiach was broken, and His(Christs) credulity as God incarnate and King of Israel is lost. But, for us, as Magicians, it is not all that important whether Solomon had existed. Because, His magic exists, and has been added to by Adepts of many ages, and we are lucky to have these precious Jewels in our posession. As for the credulity of Our Adonai, Yehoshuah, our faith will serve us better if we would only believe without seeing(or without concrete proof of it).  I believe that the Magic of Solomon had its roots in the eldest tradition of Magic, which is, Hermetic Magic. And, there are proof within the Lemegeton concerning this, for instance, the blade of the Black Knife saying, from right to left Aleph, some Z shaped sigil, Omega, hebrew Tau, AZOTh. This is solid proof that if Solomon did exist, and say, He obtained it from His father &c.. Then this Work did not originate with Jewish Sources, but with Graeco-Egyptian Ones. Which is, traditionally, where Hermetic Magic is from.

So, from this, now we know, Solomon’s  Magic was Hermetic in nature. Of course, anyone who is a Magician reading this will be thinking to himself at this moment, “Of course Solomon’s Magic was Hermetic. We already knew that!” This is for two reason’s: 1st reason is that Magicians have very low patience for anyone trying to tell them something interesting, and B. They are perfectly right!

For me, the best place to begin is to study thoroughly, the Greater Key of Solomon the King. S.L. MacGregor Mathers has left us a wonderful translation of it, however unfortunately he decided on his own to change many of the words which he considered “barbaric” renderings of more traditional Kabbalistic Divine Names and Words of Power. Consequently we are left with a butchered version, although, he did do a masterful, if not scholarly, job of changing the names and such. Many of them simply arent authentic. In the sense that some, are just, not what was written in the texts.

Anyways, take a look at the Introduction which is a fragment from Add. MSS. 10862, ‘The Key of Solomon, translated into Latin from the Hebrew idiom.’ I think you’ll see sufficitent traditional evidence for, why one should not change ANYTHING! In this part of the book it is explained quite clearly: “Unless we shall come and ask the interpretation from the Lord, with tears and entreaties, we shall never arrive at the knowledge of it.” Mathers ignored all of this and changed things. I feel this was a grave mistake. It would be better if one could procure for himself, the original version of this Manuscript. Although, in the Mathers version, many of the images are not changed at all, but in the explanation Mathers changes it. So, we can keep this and discover enough that we find compelling evidence for the nature of the Magic of Solomon. But of course, not without the mercy of God. In the story of this fragment, it was Iohe Grevis who had said these things, and in a ritual, he had done something so strikingly similar to what Abraham of Worms, that I wonder if there must be some connection. If ineed, the fabled Solomon, had posessed the Sacred Magic, as Abraham had said. And perhaps there is proof here, the only proof, of the existence of the Great King.

Let’s read the passage, “And when therefore(after the death of solomon) men had waited for a long time, there came unto the Sepulchre(of solomon) certain Babylonian Philosophers; and when they had assembled they at once took counsel together that a certain number of men should renew the Sepulchre in Solomon's Honour; and when the Sepulchre was dug out and repaired the Ivory Casket was discovered, and therein was the Key of Secrets, which they took out with a joyful mind, and when they had opened it none among them could understand it on account of the obscurity of the words and their occult arrangement, and the hidden character of the sense and knowledge, for they were not worthy to posess this treasure. The therefore one arose among them, more worthy than the others, both in the sight of the gods, and by reason of his age, who was called Iohe Grevis, and said unto the others: Unless we shall come and ask the interpretation from the Lord, with tears and entreaties, we shall never arrive at the knowledge of it. Therefore, when each of them had retired to his bed, Iohe indeed falling upon his face on the earth, began to weep, and striking his breast, said: What have I deserved above others, seeing that so many men can neither understand nor interpret this knowledge, even though there were no secret thing in nature which the Lord hath hidden from me! Wherefore are these words so obscure? Wherefore am I so ignorant? And then on his bended knees, stretching his hands to heaven, he said: O God, Creator of all, Thou Who knowest things, Who gavest such great Wisdom unto Solomon the Son of David the King; grant unto me, I beseech thee, O Holy Omnipotent and Ineffable Father, to receive the virtue of that wisdom, so that I may become worthy by Thine aid to attain unto the understanding of this Key of Secrets. And immediately there appeared unto me, the Angel of the Lord, saying: Do thou remember if the secrets of Solomon appear hidden and obscure unto thee, that the Lord hath wished it, so that such wisdom may not fall into the hands of wicked men; wherefore do thou promise unto me, that thou art not willing that so great wisdom should ever come to any living creature, and that which thou revealest unto any let them know that they must keep it to themselves, otherwise the secrets are profaned and no effect can follow? And Iohe answered: I promise unto thee that to none will I reveal them, save to the honour of the Lord, and with much discipline, unto penitent, secret, and faithful persons. Then answered the Angel: Go and read the Key, and its words which were obscure throughout shall be manifest unto thee.”

Compare this with a passage from the Book of Abramelin, “Now it comes to the point. Now you will see if you have sincerely followed my instructions and if you have faithfully completed your duty to Adonai, your God. After the feast of the Tabernacles at the end of the last half years, get up early in the morning and do not wash yourself, do not dress in the usual robes, but wear a sack or mourning clothes, go barefoot into the prayer room. Go to the incense burner and remove some ashes, sprinkle them on your head. Then light the Lamp, incense burner, open the windows, and return to the door. Then fall down on your knees and bow down and humble yourself before God and his hosts. Cry out with your whole soul that he, Adonai, will hear your pleas and your prayers and grant you the ability to visualize his holy angels.”

You notice both Iohe Grevis and Abraham prescribe the exact same ritualistic formula for the attainment of the conversation with the Angels. Especially, one’s Holy Guardian Angel. And of course, a deep immersing relationship with God Himself. Finally, it must be assumed that since this letter is included in the collection of the Lemetgeton, which appears to be written by the hand of Iohe Grevis, it must be a letter which reveals the ritual formula which one may use to initiate himself into this Magic. At the end of this book you’ll know how to do all this. Obviously, as with every fragment we find of Solomon the King, it has a practical use, and a very plain and obvious message. “Bring ye therefore fruits worthy of repentance."

- Joseph the Mage

February 15, 2007, 09:00:07 PM
Reply #1

Prodeus

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Qabalist~Alchemist~Magician | Veritas Mentor |
    • View Profile
    • Shrine of the Magnum Opus
:headwall:  <---does this look like you when it comes to getting results in magic?

Chapter 1
On the possible nonexistence of Solomon. Possible proof of his existence. On the necessity of unshakable faith in the Lord. Hermetic Connections.  Possibility of Solomon possessing the Sacred Magic. The Secret of Deciphering the Key.

The Veritable Magic of Solomon the King was first heard of through a certain, Rabbi Aben Ezra, who had supposedly, “discovered”, the Clavicle of Solomon the King. Which, in my opinion, are a collection of important Kabbalistic Magical teachings which were part of an oral tradition prior to Rabbi Aben Ezra’s version of them. Although, I don’t believe they were written by Solomon, nor do I believe Solomon ever existed. The concept of His existence became essential for Judao-Christian Traditions in its myriad forms. Since, Jesus was descended from Solomon, and Solomon was descended from David. If Solomon didn’t exist, then the family line of the Messiach was broken, and His(Christs) credulity as God incarnate and King of Israel is lost. But, for us, as Magicians, it is not all that important whether Solomon had existed. Because, His magic exists, and has been added to by Adepts of many ages, and we are lucky to have these precious Jewels in our posession. As for the credulity of Our Adonai, Yehoshuah, our faith will serve us better if we would only believe without seeing(or without concrete proof of it).  I believe that the Magic of Solomon had its roots in the eldest tradition of Magic, which is, Hermetic Magic. And, there are proof within the Lemegeton concerning this, for instance, the blade of the Black Knife saying, from right to left Aleph, some Z shaped sigil, Omega, hebrew Tau, AZOTh. This is solid proof that if Solomon did exist, and say, He obtained it from His father &c.. Then this Work did not originate with Jewish Sources, but with Graeco-Egyptian Ones. Which is, traditionally, where Hermetic Magic is from.

So, from this, now we know, Solomon’s  Magic was Hermetic in nature. Of course, anyone who is a Magician reading this will be thinking to himself at this moment, “Of course Solomon’s Magic was Hermetic. We already knew that!” This is for two reason’s: 1st reason is that Magicians have very low patience for anyone trying to tell them something interesting, and B. They are perfectly right!

For me, the best place to begin is to study thoroughly, the Greater Key of Solomon the King. S.L. MacGregor Mathers has left us a wonderful translation of it, however unfortunately he decided on his own to change many of the words which he considered “barbaric” renderings of more traditional Kabbalistic Divine Names and Words of Power. Consequently we are left with a butchered version, although, he did do a masterful, if not scholarly, job of changing the names and such. Many of them simply arent authentic. In the sense that some, are just, not what was written in the texts.

Anyways, take a look at the Introduction which is a fragment from Add. MSS. 10862, ‘The Key of Solomon, translated into Latin from the Hebrew idiom.’ I think you’ll see sufficitent traditional evidence for, why one should not change ANYTHING! In this part of the book it is explained quite clearly: “Unless we shall come and ask the interpretation from the Lord, with tears and entreaties, we shall never arrive at the knowledge of it.” Mathers ignored all of this and changed things. I feel this was a grave mistake. It would be better if one could procure for himself, the original version of this Manuscript. Although, in the Mathers version, many of the images are not changed at all, but in the explanation Mathers changes it. So, we can keep this and discover enough that we find compelling evidence for the nature of the Magic of Solomon. But of course, not without the mercy of God. In the story of this fragment, it was Iohe Grevis who had said these things, and in a ritual, he had done something so strikingly similar to what Abraham of Worms, that I wonder if there must be some connection. If ineed, the fabled Solomon, had posessed the Sacred Magic, as Abraham had said. And perhaps there is proof here, the only proof, of the existence of the Great King.

Let’s read the passage, “And when therefore(after the death of solomon) men had waited for a long time, there came unto the Sepulchre(of solomon) certain Babylonian Philosophers; and when they had assembled they at once took counsel together that a certain number of men should renew the Sepulchre in Solomon's Honour; and when the Sepulchre was dug out and repaired the Ivory Casket was discovered, and therein was the Key of Secrets, which they took out with a joyful mind, and when they had opened it none among them could understand it on account of the obscurity of the words and their occult arrangement, and the hidden character of the sense and knowledge, for they were not worthy to posess this treasure. The therefore one arose among them, more worthy than the others, both in the sight of the gods, and by reason of his age, who was called Iohe Grevis, and said unto the others: Unless we shall come and ask the interpretation from the Lord, with tears and entreaties, we shall never arrive at the knowledge of it. Therefore, when each of them had retired to his bed, Iohe indeed falling upon his face on the earth, began to weep, and striking his breast, said: What have I deserved above others, seeing that so many men can neither understand nor interpret this knowledge, even though there were no secret thing in nature which the Lord hath hidden from me! Wherefore are these words so obscure? Wherefore am I so ignorant? And then on his bended knees, stretching his hands to heaven, he said: O God, Creator of all, Thou Who knowest things, Who gavest such great Wisdom unto Solomon the Son of David the King; grant unto me, I beseech thee, O Holy Omnipotent and Ineffable Father, to receive the virtue of that wisdom, so that I may become worthy by Thine aid to attain unto the understanding of this Key of Secrets. And immediately there appeared unto me, the Angel of the Lord, saying: Do thou remember if the secrets of Solomon appear hidden and obscure unto thee, that the Lord hath wished it, so that such wisdom may not fall into the hands of wicked men; wherefore do thou promise unto me, that thou art not willing that so great wisdom should ever come to any living creature, and that which thou revealest unto any let them know that they must keep it to themselves, otherwise the secrets are profaned and no effect can follow? And Iohe answered: I promise unto thee that to none will I reveal them, save to the honour of the Lord, and with much discipline, unto penitent, secret, and faithful persons. Then answered the Angel: Go and read the Key, and its words which were obscure throughout shall be manifest unto thee.”

Compare this with a passage from the Book of Abramelin, “Now it comes to the point. Now you will see if you have sincerely followed my instructions and if you have faithfully completed your duty to Adonai, your God. After the feast of the Tabernacles at the end of the last half years, get up early in the morning and do not wash yourself, do not dress in the usual robes, but wear a sack or mourning clothes, go barefoot into the prayer room. Go to the incense burner and remove some ashes, sprinkle them on your head. Then light the Lamp, incense burner, open the windows, and return to the door. Then fall down on your knees and bow down and humble yourself before God and his hosts. Cry out with your whole soul that he, Adonai, will hear your pleas and your prayers and grant you the ability to visualize his holy angels.”

You notice both Iohe Grevis and Abraham prescribe the exact same ritualistic formula for the attainment of the conversation with the Angels. Especially, one’s Holy Guardian Angel. And of course, a deep immersing relationship with God Himself. Finally, it must be assumed that since this letter is included in the collection of the Lemetgeton, which appears to be written by the hand of Iohe Grevis, it must be a letter which reveals the ritual formula which one may use to initiate himself into this Magic. At the end of this book you’ll know how to do all this. Obviously, as with every fragment we find of Solomon the King, it has a practical use, and a very plain and obvious message. “Bring ye therefore fruits worthy of repentance."

- Joseph the Mage

Overall, I would say that this post seems well thought out.  Now, for a few minor points:

1.  I can only speak for myself here, however I find learning interesting things (a subjective concept in of itself) very enlightening, and I certainly appreciate learning anything I can about magic that would be useful for me or would simply increase my knowledge.  I, as a magician, research magic principles in most of my free time.  In fact, I have a very large library of books to read.  This is my own personal approach, however aside from introspection and speaking with entities, I find the best method for learning magical knowledge is an outside source. In that case a book, especially a book by a notable author such as Mathers or Regardie, is the best place to look.  I have read the books you mentioned above, and I will give a commentary on your post in proper next.  But when you made this, then did you not think to yourself that it would be useless to post such a thing, as magicians do not enjoy reading interesting things?  Again, it is personal, but I find that the best magicians are the ones who 1) Read and research as much as they can, 2) Analyze the information they find until they completely understand it, and 3) Put this theory into practice and aquire truth for themselves through experience.  For books are a very good place to learn information, as you have already illustrated with this post of yours.  Now, for the second point:

2.  If I understand what you are saying correctly, then you are postulating that the Greater Key of Solomon gives, in essence, the same ritualistic formula as the Abramelin.  Now, this is correct and incorrect.  Both operations will lead to the same point if properly followed.  However, the Key of Solomon includes evocation, and the traditional Abramelin operation does not include this until afterward, at which point it is said that the magician has the authority to command all spirits via his HGA.

3.  As for whether or nor Solomon existed, I find this to be trivial.  Regardless of whether the name is labeled on the wisdom erroneously, the magic will perform for its purposes, and that is all I need.  It may help to know of the author, but for an author so far removed to be biblical, it is, by common sense, doubtful that the "author" was indeed the only person who had the wisdom and wrote it down.  More than likely the book was edited.

Thank you for the post.

"My soul is a block of clay,
my sculpting tools are the sacred sciences,
and my Opus Magnum
is the way up the mountain,
the Path of Return..."

{[(|~-LVX-~|)]}

Oriens Lvx Lucis

February 15, 2007, 09:43:34 PM
Reply #2

AgioMagikos

• View Profile
You said: "2.  If I understand what you are saying correctly, then you are postulating that the Greater Key of Solomon gives, in essence, the same ritualistic formula as the Abramelin.  Now, this is correct and incorrect.  Both operations will lead to the same point if properly followed.  However, the Key of Solomon includes evocation, and the traditional Abramelin operation does not include this until afterward, at which point it is said that the magician has the authority to command all spirits via his HGA."

Here's my reply: This is what i theorise. Solomon was i posession of the Sacred Magic, as Abraham had suggested. And that Solomon has misused it, changed things, etc. But, yes, the magic of solomon should not be used until AFTER the abramelin operation is successful. The abramelin operation does indeed prescribe evocation in the same way soloon's does. Although in mathers translation this can scarecly be seen. Ya need the new translation from the german to the english by georg dehn. In it Abraham tells exactly how to do the evocations. And many many many other things. Miracles really.

February 16, 2007, 10:18:10 AM
Reply #3

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Of the jewish/christian portions:
If Solomon didn’t exist, then the family line of the Messiach was broken, and His(Christs) credulity as God incarnate and King of Israel is lost.
Hardly, the promise of a long-standing kingship through David's descendants was made to David, not Solomon, and David had more than one son as you're likely unaware even though it's directly and blatantly written in Jewish history (in fact, even before Solomon was established as king one of his brothers endeavored to make himself king and even proclaimed himself king, and then David verbally denounced him from the throne and proclaimed Solomon the king). Secondly, even if Jesus isn't king of Israel that has nothing to do with his status as son of God (or God incarnate as you put it) or king over God's kingdom (reread every instance of the prophecy God made to David carefully, and remember to go to the hebrew as there are very important subtle factors which do not translate well in the english).

As for the credulity of Our Adonai, Yehoshuah, our faith will serve us better if we would only believe without seeing(or without concrete proof of it).
Not so, for though "blessed are those who have believed without seeing" Jesus still did miracles to give proof to people; there is a purpose to seeing before believing in many cases.

As for the Keys "of Solomon", do you even realize they were written in like the 1600's? LONG after Solomon was dead. They were likely written by a christian(s) and not a Jew(s), as the greater key references "Saint Peter" which only a christian, or anyone living for centuries after Solomon died, could or would do (and there are other christian identifiers as well, indicating this book was definately not written by someone before Jesus' time.)
PRAYER.

DIES MIES YES-CHET BENE DONE FET DONNIMA METEMAUZ; O Lord, Who liberatedst the holy Susanna from a false accusation of crime; O Lord, Who liberatedst the holy Thekla; O Lord, Who rescuedst the holy Daniel from the den of lions, and the Three Children from the burning fiery furnace, free the innocent and reveal the guilty.

After this let him or her pronounce aloud the names and surnames of all the persons living in the house where the theft hast been committed, who may be suspected of having stolen the things in question, saying:--

'By Saint Peter and Saint Paul, such a person hath not done this thing.'

And let the other reply

'By Saint Peter and Saint Paul, he (or she) hath not done it.'

Let this be repeated thrice for each person named and suspected, and it is certain that on naming the person who hath committed the theft or done the crime, the sieve will turn of itself without its being able to stop it, and by this thou shalt know the evil doer.

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

February 16, 2007, 11:42:24 AM
Reply #4

AgioMagikos

• View Profile

You said, "David had more than one son as you're likely unaware even though it's directly and blatantly written in Jewish history" Not unaware of this fact, thanks. The first son of davd however was supposedly solomon. It is the first son in this tradition, who, if he is able, recieves the knowlledge of the father, namely, the Magical Kabbalah. Originally the Magic was known only to God and to Adam(who passed it down) the first Man. But it was lost to some degree, and remade in Moses on Mount Sinai, who gave it to Aaron. It was then passed down and passed down in these Holy Family line for ages(and it even left the family line,and prostituted itself in other places, and came back, but stayed in the lines of Master to Apprentice and always will.). And even many obtained it directly, as moses had done. And Adam had done to him.

You said, "Secondly, even if Jesus isn't king of Israel that has nothing to do with his status as son of God (or God incarnate as you put it) or king over God's kingdom." Yep. That's exactly what I said. In my article i do not give a definite answer as to whether Jesus is or is not God. Nor do I give a definite answer to whether Solomon existed. I do worship Jesus, make no mistake about it.

When I said, "As for the credulity of Our Adonai, Yehoshuah, our faith will serve us better if we would only believe without seeing(or without concrete proof of it)." I meant that it doesnt matter if theres proof or not of Jesus, we should still believe in Him. It is better to believe without seeing, the next step towards disobedience is to believe after you have seen. So, yes His purpose of miracles is to give faith to those who REFUSED to believe without seeing. But, more than that, His purpose was to WORK MERCIFUL WORKS. And you notice his whole life he did everything out of divine Love for whoever he worked the miracle for, a Love which overwhelms even Him, and overflows from Him to us. This is especially seen in the raising of Lazarus.

Also, no I dont' think they were written by Solomon, if you had paid attention to the article you'll have noticed that fact. I said in my article, "But, for us, as Magicians, it is not all that important whether Solomon had existed. Because, His magic exists, and has been added to by adepts of many nations, and we are lucky to have these precious Jewels in our posession." "not all that important whether Solomon had existed", "has been added to by adepts of many nations." "his magic exists". So, what i meant by this was, that solomons magic was created by anonymous adepts who never left their name but allowed people to think it was made by solomon. I even doubt that Iohe Grevis is real. But, he's still my hero.
                                                                                           -Joseph the Mage

February 16, 2007, 01:44:43 PM
Reply #5

Prodeus

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
For clarification, a miracle is something which cannot be done by any other intelligence but God and under normal circumstances goes against universal laws (both known and unknown).  If it can be explained according to nature, it is not a miracle.  Miracles are by their nature impossible, temporary spaces of time in which God tweaks the law in order to serve an important purpose.
and my Opus Magnum
the Path of Return..."

{[(|~-LVX-~|)]}

Oriens Lvx Lucis

February 16, 2007, 01:57:16 PM
Reply #6

AgioMagikos

• View Profile
Prodeus I agree completely. In this context yes, the things jesus did were certainly miraculous. Also that which is achieved by way of the sacred magic, done successfully, is also miracluous and unexplainable, except that it is God who does these things, and not the Magician. But, rather the magician is the Temple which God dwells within, and from within this Temple, God works many miracles in us, and in our world. Things which cannot be explained by science or words of any kind no matter how they are arranged. And also, this magic of miracles is not rituals or pentagrams or words of power, it is inner knowledge of the secrets of the interior mind. Wisdom. Kardiognosis.

February 16, 2007, 11:21:38 PM
Reply #7

MikeWho

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Ani otseh ha-orad
    • View Profile
I also want to throw in that because our God is invisible (aside from just faith building purposes, and the fact that we would die if we looked at such perfection) to show his supremecy over all things. In the case with Nimrod and Abraham. Nimrod kept asking Abe all these questions about who he would bow to (everything Nim said was material and of this earth). If the earth bows to the plants and the plants bow to the rain and the rain bows to the air and the air is under the sky, and the sky bows to the sun, than who does the sun bow to? The gist was the Abrahams God is the One who all things go back to, all things living and not living, bow to.

Josephus is a good Jewish historian to check out. I do know that Jewish historians are noted as excellent keepers .... of well history. Even in the Bible (Tanakh, or Old Testament according to your faith) it mentions to inquire within the Jewish Book of Kings. The entire history of Jews is recorded by scribes all the way up til now, this is one of the reasons why the bible is considered to be credible historically.

aside from that. I think that you make some excellent points. I often times wonder if translation differences are to change the outcome of an operation. However Abramelin did point out that everything said to God should be in your native tongue, because we need to understand what we are saying in order to take on the matter in our hearts.... because thats what God weighs. As for Solomon writing the drafts, if someone said that Solomon had written them, when he didnt, just to make them appear to be credible so more people would read them, wouldnt that be a bit diabolical? Contrary to what the writer is even implying within the book with his "Powerful Conjurations?"

I wonder if anyone has successfully pulled off an operation from that book. I was told once by someone on this board that they had, but never heard back from them any information about it.

February 17, 2007, 06:33:57 AM
Reply #8

AgioMagikos

• View Profile
Mikewho said, "As for Solomon writing the drafts, if someone said that Solomon had written them, when he didnt, just to make them appear to be credible so more people would read them, wouldnt that be a bit diabolical? Contrary to what the writer is even implying within the book with his "Powerful Conjurations?"

I wonder if anyone has successfully pulled off an operation from that book. I was told once by someone on this board that they had, but never heard back from them any information about it."

Mikewho, excellent questions. I feel that it was part of a very unique tradition which has passed down from master to student and has since died out. I don't think they wanted people to think it was Solomon who wrote them just to be more credible. I think they wanted people to think it was solomon because it WAS. Solomon IS the personification of the subconcious mind of all people. As such, the magician is ALSO the personification of this, especially while performing works of evocation. Solomon is not a regular person, he is someone who exists on many levels, most of those levels are existing only within the collective human psyche. I'm not even sure if solomon ever existed as a person. But, what I AM saying, is that the IDEA of Solomon is the personification of the Exorcist, the Evoker, the Magician. I hope you havent misunderstood me here. Solomon could've been a real person, most likely a fairy tale, but it doesn't matter.

And no it isnt diabolical. It isnt a trick. Part of the reason the authors didn't want their names known(imo) was to preserve the virtues(siddhis, magick powers, willpower, mindfulness of god, love, kindness to their neighbor, rememberance of their inferiority to god) which they had acquired through the use of this art. And also, they were real live solomons. As the merlins and abramelin's we have today. Fame and fortune and pride would have destroyed these attainments very quickly in most people. And so they wisely bowed out, as a holy man wrote once, "become unknown and poor, and realise that you are the most famous and rich man in existence."

I have used the lesser key of solomon with some success in evoking Palimon and others(purposely mispelled). Have also evoked many of my own personal spirits 16 of them to visible appearance. I have recently come into a treasure house of practical evocation manuals written by contemporary magi, and have come to a profound understanding of this simple, beautiful art. What information are you seeking?

February 17, 2007, 09:22:03 AM
Reply #9

Prodeus

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
From what I have seen of the Keys of Solomon physically, no author has specifically stated they were written by Solomon himself.  Rather, it is said that they edited and perhaps annotated the work believed to be Solomon's.
and my Opus Magnum
the Path of Return..."

{[(|~-LVX-~|)]}

Oriens Lvx Lucis

February 18, 2007, 12:25:33 AM
Reply #10

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
[highly edited post ahead. if it doesn't flow properly, i'm sorry.]
From father to firstborn son, eh? Well then the line is broken LONG before it reaches Solomon:

Genesis 16
1 Now Sarai, Abram's wife, had borne him no children. But she had an Egyptian maidservant named Hagar; 2 so she said to Abram, "The Lord has kept me from having children. Go, sleep with my maidservant; perhaps I can build a family through her." Abram agreed to what Sarai said. 3 So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian maidservant Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife.
4 He slept with Hagar, and she conceived.
15 So Hagar bore Abram a son, and Abram gave the name Ishmael to the son she had borne. 16 Abram was eighty-six years old when Hagar bore him Ishmael.

Only in chapter 21 does Isaac become born, so thus the younger brother is the one whom Jacob and Esau come from. And Isaac's firstborn was Esau, yet it was once again the younger brother Jacob, later renamed Israel, who is the ascendant of David and Solomon.

And yet even Solomon was not the first born, not even close.
2 Samuel 3:2-5 lists off a few
2 Sons were born to David in Hebron: His firstborn was Amnon the son of Ahinoam of Jezreel; 3 his second, Kileab the son of Abigail the widow of Nabal of Carmel; the third, Absalom the son of Maacah daughter of Talmai king of Geshur; 4 the fourth, Adonijah the son of Haggith; the fifth, Shephatiah the son of Abital; 5 and the sixth, Ithream the son of David's wife Eglah. These were born to David in Hebron.

Then more in chapter 5 where Solomon is finally named for the first time.
13 After he left Hebron, David took more concubines and wives in Jerusalem, and more sons and daughters were born to him. 14 These are the names of the children born to him there: Shammua, Shobab, Nathan, Solomon,  15 Ibhar, Elishua, Nepheg, Japhia, 16 Elishama, Eliada and Eliphelet.

If something like kaballah was so pervasive among the important players of Jewish history as you seem to be claiming, AgioMagikos, don't you think there'd be some blatant mentioning of it somewhere in their history? And yet there's none. Almost all the grand miracles are attributed to God directly, not indirectly through magicians Have you read the accounts Moses wrote about what he did in Egypt and afterwards? He didn't take any credit to himself and ascribed the workings of God to God, not himself "in whom God dwelt" because at that time the Israelites did NOT belief God dwelt within people but that God was a wholly external PERSON. (even today they see God and the Temple in the same way; as external physical things. The details of the physical existance of the Temple of Solomon is described in great detail in the Jewish histories, such that many people have reconstructed blue prints for it and we have a reasonably assured understanding of what it visually looked like. The idea of the temple existing within a person came first from Jesus, so even using that as a metaphor hurts your arguments more than helps them) There is no metaphor in the Jewish writings that can be reasonably aschewed to say the miracles "of Moses" occurred because Moses was a magician.

Also, it is widely accepted that Moses likely wrote the book of Genesis, so if Moses himself were given direct knowledge of Kaballah, as was supposedly Abram, don't you think Moses would have seen fit to mention it somewhere? And yet it's not. The Jews in the desert saw the glory and power of God for themselves (he was physically present, right before their eyes for 40 years), so even if Moses tried to claim credit for the things God did the Jews would know it was a lie.

I'm still highly skeptical that Abraham, Moses, Elijah, Jesus, or any of the other biblical characters that hermetics and kaballists try to claim for their own system were trained in either. It's all too much like occultists and christians and pagans and every other organization out there trying to claim that the great scientists of only a few centuries ago (ie Einstein, Newton, Galileo, etc) were part of their organizations. If hermetics and kaballah were so prevalent among the Jews, why isn't it written blatantly in their histories like God is? (and, no, the Jewish use of God is not a metaphor for anything in hermetic magics.)

[EDIT]
And regarding the keys "of solomon", I have seen no evidence to support any sort of connection with the jewish king to those medieval, european books (which AgioMagikos acknowledges). But also, saying that "this text from the key is similar to other texts from way before it" is insufficient as I quote the bible right above me, yet I'm not the author of any of the bible, and I've seen no proof that anything from the keys are actually quotes from older materials rather than original materials which have claims of quoting previous material ascribed to them. Granted, I'm not an expert of these keys.
[/EDIT]
~Steve
PS. I'd also like to note that I'm not attacking the work of the keys themselves, just their connection to [EDIT]anything before Jesus[/EDIT]. I've heard from numerous sources that they do indeed work just fine if used correctly, but I don't care about that in these posts.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 09:33:29 AM by Steve »
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

February 19, 2007, 07:32:31 AM
Reply #11

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
For the real history of the clavicle "of Solomon", I give you these (I suggest everyone read through each of the links provided, and then do more research as well):
http://www.historyofmagick.com/magick/articleview.asp?Post=62
So, Kabbalists of the 13th century and beyond used Gematria in attempt to re-discover this true name of God. One of the most famous methods they used was to create a triangle/pyramid shape with the letters and calculate the numerical value, which just so happened to be 72.
Notice that the "Names of God", one of which each demon in the goetia were eventually associated with, were derived in the 13th century.

http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/delirium/articleview.asp?Post=131 Notice how the earlier description still came in the medieval era.
http://www.esotericarchives.com/solomon/sl3847.htm This as well gives testimony to the origins of the goetia being less than 1000 years old. (actually, it dates at barely five hundred years)

I'm having problems finding any actual link to materials or persons prior to the tenth century. It seems very much like this was all made up by at least one person during the medieval era, and then rewritten by someone else a short time later ("short" being relative to the entire history of men).

Oh, but I must have missed something as you gave such evidence in the opening post.
Let’s read the passage, “And when therefore(after the death of solomon) men had waited for a long time, there came unto the Sepulchre(of solomon) certain Babylonian Philosophers;
Now, my question is why would babylonians worship the god of their enemy, their enemy whom they just trampled underfoot? They wouldn't. Obviously fictitious account regardless of how accurate the ceremony is. This calls into question the dating of this account, making one wonder who wrote it and when.

But of course, that doesn't prevent Abraham from having had the great knowledge of the secrets of the Keys, right? After all, he did describe the same ceremony:
Compare this with a passage from the Book of Abramelin, “Now it comes to the point. Now you will see if you have sincerely followed my instructions and if you have faithfully completed your duty to Adonai, your God. After the feast of the Tabernacles at the end of the last half years,
oh wait, what's this feast of the tabernacles? According to wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Feast_of_Tabernacles, it's a festivity celebrated by the Israelites on their exodus out of Egypt some few hundred years after Abraham died. So how did Abraham know about it, and why would he prescribe that people adhere to it's time-frame when it didn't yet exist? So same wonderment: who really wrote this, and when?

All signs point to this being purely a post-christ creation. If it is kaballic or hermetic in nature, then it's written from hermetics or kaballists after christ. No valid claims are shown for it existing prior to the times history puts it at. Likewise there is nothing to validate any of the names mentioned in it's works being linked to the supposed deeds recorded; lying about who wrote something doesn't seem very hermetic in nature, does it? I, personally, despise any work of which the author tries to use such methods to make their work seem more important than it really is (It's not so much you that I have a problem with, AgioMagikos, as it is the entire mythology, which people mistake for history, surrounding the keys).

~Steve