Author Topic: Friendship  (Read 2683 times)

April 25, 2006, 11:39:41 AM
Read 2683 times

Apricot

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
I suppose I should begin this by saying my oppinions may reflect to much Japanese study and the adoption of an uchi-soto (insider outsider) sort of attitude.
So then unto my question. In the world today there is a lot of chance to communicate with an international community, if you want to you can go just about anywhere you like or learn any language. But people who work to do this will find that there's a cultural wall between different groups of people. It's not some sort of isolationist plot, but that different cultures, up bringings, and experiences lead to different thinking. Even within the same country you will have difficulty immediately fitting in with different social groups.
But recently I've been wondering if certain psionic things like empathy are a way to bypass cultural walls. Where as a person with out that sort of study will inevitably end up confused by something or another or seperate him/herself accidently by acting inately different would it be the same for someone who was more in tune with other people psionically. Or would there be a wall in the persons thinking that would make a connection difficult for the psion as well.

In summation, "As a psion who practices skills such as telepathy or empathy (etc) would you find yourself stumbling across the same boundaries between groups of people that others experience (language excluded)?"
Would it surprise you to learn I taste like strawberries?

April 25, 2006, 12:49:42 PM
Reply #1

NathanE

• Posts By Osmosis

• BEEFCAKE BEEFCAKE

• View Profile
Well depends on how well you can coap with differences it not really a psionics skill or power to fit it its more are you able to change your ways and be open...
Chance is a word void of sense; nothing can exist without a cause. ~Voltaire

Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.~Scott Adams

“Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets”

April 25, 2006, 12:55:01 PM
Reply #2

Apricot

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
I meant more like mannerism, gestures and body language. Different inside jokes or other bits of expression that you have to be a part of a community to understand.
Those sort of things that you can only learn by adapting to a culture first hand, and that many people will never learn all of.
I wondered if it came naturally to people with those things. I was thinking that because of an earlier thread about someone feeling like their mind was being read, how we have unspoken language.

Main idea was is unspoken language which can be understood through some psionic skills something that is universal in essence... I don't know if I worded that right.

April 25, 2006, 01:42:31 PM
Reply #3

Frozen

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• Personal Text
    Posting chief
    • View Profile
I think I understand what you're saying. Psi usually deals with sending a concept or idea and not necessarily words. Language doesn't apply to an object or concept. If I send an apple, it will be an apple if you live in France or Spain. Still an apple. I'm not really sure what you mean. Can you clarify?
* chirss was kicked by kobok (Denny Crane)

I CARVE EVERYTHING YOU SAY INTO MY LEFT ARM!
~ V

<ShoresofPluto> how often do u ignite fires with ur mind?
<kobok> On occasion.

[20:06] <kobok> XIII:  You wear your girlfriend's pants??
[20:06] <XIII> kobok: On occasion.

April 25, 2006, 02:52:54 PM
Reply #4

Apricot

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
I see, Examples are needed!

Psi deals with concepts and not directly with language so there's not really a language barrier, but I wonder if people who practice empathy or what not are able to understand foreign body language etc

For example a child in the US may wave his hand from the wrist up and down to say good bye, the same child doing that in Japan would be asking you to come closer

There's tons of examples, that go beyond body language of different ways we can miscommunicate.

So with psionics where, to my understanding, you deal in intentions. Is it easier to cross cultural refferences or social gestures or does the meaning stay hidden/confused.

EDIT

here's another example
ahh, so it was a joke? a little work on it wouldnt hurt but if you ever just wanted to confuse someone just add the line and presto, instantly confuzzled

I had made a joke about being able to fly in a god like power thread, and referenced airplanes indirectly. But it wasn't understood at all.

This isn't a cultural boundary, but it's the same idea in how it becomes misunderstood. Just different thought paths.

So can you overcome this with psionics, does anybody have experience in the field.. My thought of a universal understanding, sorta lol
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 02:58:39 PM by Apricot »

April 26, 2006, 02:43:38 AM
Reply #5

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Psi deals with concepts and not directly with language so there's not really a language barrier, but I wonder if people who practice empathy or what not are able to understand foreign body language etc
So can you overcome this with psionics,

Yes.

Of course nothing is flawless, and integration of psi with ones daily life will always leave the problem that various states of mind will disrupt the quality of the performance of said psi, but I think the awareness of individuals that comes from developed psi ability can substantially improve communication across cultural and language barriers.  I don't really speak very many languages, but many times I can tell what people are talking about when talking in a different language from the types of thoughts and states of mind being flung back and forth in the midst of the conversation.  If I am watching a movie, for example, this usually does not work.  With a movie I am left trying to pick up clues from body language or hand gestures, and my understanding is minimal at best.  But in a conversation in person, depending on my state of mind, specific details can often be sensed somewhat automatically.

Of course, this is going on in conversations in English too.  When people lie, it is often broadcast.  And there's often a bit of dissonance broadcast when people are thinking about one thing in the midst of talking about another.  But as a word of advice for anyone who has this happen, or who practices telepathy to the point that this begins to happen:  it is usually not helpful to confront people with what you pick up in this manner.  People won't react to you based on the truth, but instead, based on what they think you should know.  If you are going to use information you obtain in this manner, learn to use it subtly and you will find it more useful.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

April 30, 2006, 11:54:27 AM
Reply #6

SethLaRoth DeShawl

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
that was a great use of example, although I do understand it now, and as to Koboks reply there really isn't much that I have to add except for the fact that this is somewhat insightfull and a definite learning experience as to what you meant by the first post of this thread which I really didn't understand the complete purpose of it untill now although I have read through this thread a number of times.