Author Topic: What Is Hinduism?  (Read 1752 times)

June 29, 2005, 01:57:25 PM
Read 1752 times

Adept

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• View Profile
Now as many of you know, I'm working on various eBook indexes for veritas. Two of which are up and constantly being updated. Now when doing the spirituality Index I came into the problem of composing a Hinduism section as I don't really know what Hinduism is and everyone keeps telling me something different. If I don't understand the religion at all, How am I to make a reasonable Index for it? This is what iv come up with thus far, please correct me as I Know much of this is erroneous.

- The founding documents are the Vedas scriptures.
- There are Monotheistic, Duo-theistic, Polytheistic, theistic and even Atheistic Hindus.
- The deities are all faces of Brahman, the Universal all
- It is divided into 4 Schools of philosophy: Jana Yoga, Raja Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Karma Yoga (this according to my religion text book. We never did get to the Hinduism chapter but I skimmed ahead anyway :) )
- The Bahkava Gita, Upshandis are Important scriptures along with several others whose names eludes me...

so this is my basic understanding of the religion...and I'm told various parts of it are incorrect. So attempt to enlighten me  ;)

~TYA

On a side note with regards to the Index I have some scripture including the Vedas in Html format. I can convert them into PDF's with some painstaking effort but then I need hosting. Anyone wish to help by providing some hosting or by giving me some books already in PDF format online?

June 29, 2005, 04:46:16 PM
Reply #1

DownRodeo

• Veritas Furniture

• DD-APPR0VED! A-OKAYH!!

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
    • BudoTaijutsu.co.uk-Koshin Dojo Malmesbury
I would think Vihang is your man for this :P Though I do know some important things. The Buddha for example is considered by some to be the 9th Avatar of Vishnu (in an attempt to reconcile the two religions in india, which was probably the cause of the decline in suppourt for Buddhism in India.) And also that 'shankara' is probably one of the most important philosophers in Hinduism's history. Thats all I can really say, sorry ;)
"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part, you can't even passively take part, and you've got to put your bodies on the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers... and you've got to make it stop!"
Mario Savio

June 30, 2005, 07:38:38 PM
Reply #2

Neti Neti

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    he-who-posts-lots
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nightrundesigns.com/jp/linx/modules/tutorials/viewtutorial.php?tid=25
Hinduism is a random grouped of Indian beliefs sealed into an abstract religion. It was seen more as a cutural thing than an actual religion for the longest time. The name itself was coined by the Persians. It's really hard to describe actually, since it is so diverse. I know reincarination is a constant, so is Brahman. Some Hindus see the gods as actual beings (and worship them as idols), while others see them as abstract "stories" describing various parts of our nature. As it being divided into those four groups specifically... im preety sure that that is wrong.

So my post was pointless. :-p I even stuided up on Hinduism the past year... but it so much it drove me @_@  So yea...contact Mr. Vi.
People only see what they are prepared to see.

Give all to love; obey thy heart.

Insist on yourself; never imitate... Every great man is unique.

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.

Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannon-balls and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today.[/I]
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Place Of Heart Board

July 09, 2005, 09:40:40 AM
Reply #3

abzu

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
To understand hinduism you must first understand the hindus.

This is not a joke, look into their history.
Open wings cast this valley in the shade.

August 25, 2005, 02:46:17 AM
Reply #4

TheThing

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Hinduism is not a reilgon it is group of indian reilgons that have one thing in common.The vedas and they ain't infomation and many don't use them much.Many gods this also varies wildly.
TheThings's Flatmate.