Author Topic: Focal Meditation  (Read 294541 times)

July 17, 2005, 06:41:29 AM
Reply #15

SleepWalker

• Posts By Osmosis

• Pool Boy

• Personal Text
    Pinkus Elephantus
    • View Profile
you merely edited my words into your perspective, void meditation, focusing on not focusing, in an effort to become free of thought.
the process is not impossible,
the void state would prove rather near impossible though to attain.
If you were to focus on all things would your focus be on that of the void?
What is your understanding of the term void?
Does void not contain all things and none at the same time?
How can you explain freedom, never having experienced it.
From the moment we ar born we conform to the physical world. In narrow awareness of all that there is to percieve.
Try Tachyon[/URL

July 18, 2005, 05:47:43 AM
Reply #16

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• 0. The Fool... Inverted?

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
Void is empty. Void meditation isn't "meditating on nothing", it isn't "focusing on the void while you meditate", it isn't "focus on not focusing". It is letting go of all those things and everything else to simply *be* empty rather than /think/ empty. Difference between thinking and doing: in your mind think about lifting your arm, and then let go of that thought and actually lift your arm instead of just thinking about lifting your arm.

It's like having a glass full of oil, and trying to empty the glass by pouring in water (because oil will rise above water and eventually flow over the edges if you add enough water); you now have a clearer and more fluid substance in the glass, but the glass is not empty. To empty the glass, you tip it over and remove as much substance as possible from within it and leave it tipped over for the water droplets on the inside of the glass to eventually leave as well.

~kakkarot
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

July 19, 2005, 03:47:36 PM
Reply #17

Sekhmet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Warrior...Not Princess... Klutz...
    • View Profile
so what do you do about fear of starting a fire? the author didn't cover this.

that fear is actually quite distracting. what I tried was a black construction paper set-up with a white star on it. for focusing that is. then I got all twitchy.

you can't do meditations like this outside in nature either unless you have a nice hard surface of concrete to do it in.

just a thought.
Boo-ya!

July 20, 2005, 09:13:44 AM
Reply #18

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
so what do you do about fear of starting a fire? the author didn't cover this.

Avoid doing it around flammable objects?  Candles are safe if placed in non-flammable locations.  Observe the same safety precautions you would anytime you use a candle.

Beyond that, your focus should be on the candle flame itself, not on fears.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

July 20, 2005, 05:58:51 PM
Reply #19

Sekhmet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Warrior...Not Princess... Klutz...
    • View Profile
and this is something I do more or less with a great deal of water standing by, a nice glass chalice, and very deep candle holders, tea lights are dangerous.

but yes, the fear of starting a fire.

well off to meditate now.
Boo-ya!

July 26, 2005, 07:20:09 PM
Reply #20

SleepWalker

• Posts By Osmosis

• Pool Boy

• Personal Text
    Pinkus Elephantus
    • View Profile
Void is empty. Void meditation isn't "meditating on nothing", it isn't "focusing on the void while you meditate", it isn't "focus on not focusing". It is letting go of all those things and everything else to simply *be* empty rather than /think/ empty. Difference between thinking and doing: in your mind think about lifting your arm, and then let go of that thought and actually lift your arm instead of just thinking about lifting your arm.

It's like having a glass full of oil, and trying to empty the glass by pouring in water (because oil will rise above water and eventually flow over the edges if you add enough water); you now have a clearer and more fluid substance in the glass, but the glass is not empty. To empty the glass, you tip it over and remove as much substance as possible from within it and leave it tipped over for the water droplets on the inside of the glass to eventually leave as well.

~kakkarot
So we are actually in agreeance our terms are merely different. :elephant:
From the moment we ar born we conform to the physical world. In narrow awareness of all that there is to percieve.
Try Tachyon[/URL

July 28, 2005, 11:32:28 AM
Reply #21

Xiphere

• A Familiar Feature

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    Hundred-plus Club
    • View Profile
Nice article, Ive used this in martial arts. I like to use Focal Meditation in school especially study hall when i have nothing to do i just focus on something for awhile, etc. Afterwards im usually a little bitmore awake in school, but that would make sense since meditation is kinda refreshing your mind. :cool:

-X-
Call me X if you will...long storie behind that nikname.

July 29, 2005, 09:29:24 AM
Reply #22

ChezNips

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Teacher

• View Profile
I'd like to add that when you are meditating and the fears crop up or you feel emotions like anger, then you are not in a meditative deep state.  When you are in that state, its a release of the thoughts that keep you pegging in the time/space factor and not relaxed.  You need to either focus on something to keep the mind passively focused or to dismiss stray thoughts insted of engaging in them.  The mind will stay in beta or snap back into beta state if a thought is engages such as a fear or thoughts of anger.  WHile meditating the idea is to release the hold of consciousness meaning that we start to notice less and less of where we are sitting, the aches and pains of our bodies, stray sounds, or even the passage of time.
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

July 31, 2005, 09:13:22 PM
Reply #23

Aos711

• A Veritas Regular

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    I'm confused....do u really expect me to know why?
    • View Profile
how do u achieve void meditation?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 09:15:11 PM by Aos711 »
Agility is the way you run when an angry dog is behind you. :eek:

August 02, 2005, 02:37:44 AM
Reply #24

SleepWalker

• Posts By Osmosis

• Pool Boy

• Personal Text
    Pinkus Elephantus
    • View Profile
I'd like to add that when you are meditating and the fears crop up or you feel emotions like anger, then you are not in a meditative deep state.  When you are in that state, its a release of the thoughts that keep you pegging in the time/space factor and not relaxed.  You need to either focus on something to keep the mind passively focused or to dismiss stray thoughts insted of engaging in them.  The mind will stay in beta or snap back into beta state if a thought is engages such as a fear or thoughts of anger.  WHile meditating the idea is to release the hold of consciousness meaning that we start to notice less and less of where we are sitting, the aches and pains of our bodies, stray sounds, or even the passage of time.

If you experience something in your meditation you have not before, fear is the expected occurance.
For example the first tim you astral, the fear can be quite extroardinary.

Quote from:  Aos711
how do u achieve void meditation?
It is not something that can be achieved in the truest sense, It's more of a concept.
Focal meditation is your best bet.
Try Tachyon[/URL

August 04, 2005, 04:50:11 AM
Reply #25

Gond

• View Profile
I already use glasses, and maybe two meters can prevent bad things to te eyes, but, if we are supposed to look to a candle with the mind and not exactly with the eyes, then it is supposed not to look really to the cande, but to anywhere close to the candle and focus on the candle, and see it, but not in the mindle of the vision camp, maybe on the left upper corner, is this cprrect, and we aren't looking to the candle, but we are still focused on it, is this correct?

August 07, 2005, 11:18:08 AM
Reply #26

SleepWalker

• Posts By Osmosis

• Pool Boy

• Personal Text
    Pinkus Elephantus
    • View Profile
To be aware of the candle and to draw focus is the reason for it.
You can invision the candle in your mind as long as you are in awareness of the candle.
Ofcourse if you do not look at the candle you cannot see any results.
Perhaps meditate on the invisioned flame and look at it only when you are manipulating it.
Try Tachyon[/URL

September 24, 2005, 08:44:57 PM
Reply #27

Sai Astar

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    Laugh, cry, and smell the roses ^_^
    • View Profile
Question!

What am I to expect from focal meditation? Pardon my noviceness in psionics but what results should I expect and when do I know that I have mastered it? The easiest thing to say would be that I should try it and see for myself, but I just want to know if there is a standard for everyone.

I have worked with psionics without knowing it, just by focusing on objects with my mind for extended periods of time, such as candles, weapons, grass, and other inanimate objects. Is there anything standard or widely excepted about what should happen or what I should feel?

September 25, 2005, 01:25:43 AM
Reply #28

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
What am I to expect from focal meditation? Pardon my noviceness in psionics but what results should I expect and when do I know that I have mastered it? The easiest thing to say would be that I should try it and see for myself, but I just want to know if there is a standard for everyone.
 Is there anything standard or widely excepted about what should happen or what I should feel?

There are variances in the experience for different people, but the general trends are described under the section "Deep meditation".
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

November 22, 2005, 11:02:22 PM
Reply #29

Fou Lu

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Can we focus on the object in our mind?  For example, can I close my eyes and picture an object, and focus on that?  Would that be of any more or less benefit?