Author Topic: Money  (Read 7567 times)

January 04, 2004, 12:37:30 AM
Read 7567 times

Void

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• View Profile
Money:

Isn’t it strange that we have placed money, over human life? We cannot give aid to other countries, we cannot give aid to medicine, we cannot give aid to animals, unless we have money. Thus we consider money more important than the lives that are on this earth. Do you see this? The whole world and the way it works is said to be governed by humans, energy, but really it is governed by money. Without money, the whole system of the world will crumble will it not? It would be thrown into chaos – because then there would have to be alternate means to serving one another. Perhaps life itself would come first before the profit? It is yet to be seen and experienced thus perhaps we will never know. Money has bestowed upon a few people great power and from this great power they whole sway over those with less. The ones with less implore cunning to receive more money, business deals, flaunting of oneself, exploitation of others, the extortion of our whole way of life for money. People say it is how the person uses the money that makes it good or evil – but it still doesn’t change the fact that we allow money to come between our salvation, the salvation of others, and in fact, the way of life.

It seems to me that money is more of a limit, than an aid. There is a delay between the help of another and between the transaction of funds to secure the help of another – I wonder why there is not help straight away? Why is the profit so much more important than the health of the world? Do you see this happening at all? Money causes division between people – the rich and the poor and the rich prioritise the money issues, governing it according to what they feel is best. It is strange how the governments invest so much money in military hardware, wars, but yet we can let a nation dying of disease, famine, poverty still exist? In a world of so called free rights or civil rights, it doesn’t seem to be all that civil when you really look at it. We go to work, to earn our right to live. We have to have money, so we can live. If you cannot afford to pay for your house, your bills, your food – you are suddenly not worthy of life in the eyes of the business man – the business man lacks compassion in these circumstances and thus if you cannot pay you cannot have. So organizations are set up to help these people and they depend upon the donations and kindness of the world so they too can assist those who do not have enough to pay their way in life.

The organizations may be doing well or not so well, but it doesn’t change the initial fact that money comes between the lives of millions of people in this world. Does the business man not put pressure upon his workers to meet budget every month? Does he not drive them harder and faster, inspiring them with gifts, rewards, raises so they build a bigger, better business – so they can acquire more money to expand to earn more money – to expand, to control the sectors of the business world in which they operate? How many people end up in hospital with health problems due to the stress created by this never ending search for profit and company expansion? Power of business, power over the market, which immediately implies power of the money. More money means more power to do things. A company with lots of money will have more options to it than a company that has very few pennies to its name. Thus, the smaller business is left to live in squaller while bigger companies exploit the market – buying out businesses, bringing more employees, offering them money to compensate for their losses. To effectively dominate the market, so the leading people of the business can lead, can have power, can hold sway over the world in which they live.

Doesn’t this show a great lack of caring? Sure – we get promotions, we get more money, we get holidays and all that – but in the end, what is it costing us? Our health for starters, it is causing separation within the world, it is causing suffering in the world. Isn’t is strange how prices keep going up, and yet the wages do not? Again we seek more money, more power, more sway over the world – because it seems those with the most profit can do almost and in fact everything and anything they want! So those who do not have the luxuries of being in a nice company, are forced to try and make ends meet, all the while feeling great stress, great trouble – which they then blow off in entertainment – drinking, drugs, fast cars and all that sort of thing. Doesn’t that bring danger to our lives? More health problems!? I'm wondering if any of you have ever noticed this or even care about it? So we kill each other for power, for profit, for personal gain, which comes to self gratification, comfort, pleasure within our lives – so long as we are comfortable within our lives, we tend to not take any notice of what is really going on do you? If your happy, then you are content, you are at peace with things – so you don't worry about what is going on because you are within yourself having a timeless moment.

A moment in which there is just the awareness or being rather of this joy you have acquired. Isn’t it strange how we have to pay to get proper medical attention in this world? Isn’t it strange how we have to pay to survive? Some of us paying with our lives! There are some who would say that if we helped the whole world then the world itself would become over populated, so death and suffering of some countries is required, because if we have too many people, then we will run out of resources. So why not educate this then to the people? Why not inform the world about the problem with over population? Why not ask them to stop having sex so much and stop having kids? Because lots of people want families, they want to be a mother, a father, they want grandchildren – if they where told not to have children, they would probably just go off and do it anyway – because that seems to be the current trend within this world – the hell with what everyone else says, im doing what I want! Selfish, inconsideration, self centeredness, greed, desire for personal gain, desire full stop – having discussed desire, it is obvious that we suffer because of it. But back to the initial statements – education of overpopulation and education into the foul means of money and how that creates more health problems in people, how it causes separation between people, how it causes suffering to those who cannot afford the right help.

Have a look at this and see what you can see. Because if people really cared about the world, themselves, their fellow beings, nature – if people genuinely cared about everything – would we selfishly pursue our own desires all the time? Would we actually listen to what is going on in terms of injustice within the world? Would we all be willing to take steps to secure the safety of the world in which we live? I wonder if at all this would happen.

Be well.

January 04, 2004, 02:36:03 AM
Reply #1

PsiBlade

• A Familiar Feature

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    Hundred-plus Club
    • View Profile
Truer words have never been spoken.

January 04, 2004, 09:19:17 AM
Reply #2

Kiirar

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
Void, your post reminded me of a passage from a book a friend gave me, which I am posting here just for the helluvit.  

Quote from: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.  Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive, they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.
     This planet has--or rather had--a problem which was this:  most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time.  Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.
     And so the problem remained; lots of people were mean, and most of them were miserable, even the ones with digital watches.

My 2 cents.  Sort of.
"If I am going to be drowned--if I am going to be drowned--if I am going to be drowned, why, in the name of the seven mad gods who rule the sea, was I allowed to come thus far and contemplate sand and trees?"

~from, The Open Boat by Stephen Crane

Member of the infamous K-Trio

January 04, 2004, 09:20:17 AM
Reply #3

LightLink

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• View Profile
I personaly dont agree with this. Well, I agree that it is true, but its not neccecarily a bad thing.

Of course everything is about money. With it you can do pretty much anything you want, like you said. Thus, you will be happy. People want to be happy. Its human nature to do everything for the benifit of ones self. VERY rarely will a human do something with no benifit towards herself/himself.
So we use money to give benifit when one does something for somebody else.

I dont find it unusual at all. Also, transaction is now instant. So yes, they start foolishly helping people right away.

You could say it all comes down to technology. Countries who havnt or are just starting to industrialized face overpopulation and exploitation. It happened with ever super-power when they were just starting out. Its a fase one MUST go through, history has shown this.

The US has only about 1% of the population in agriculture, yet we can feed ouselves, and still have plenty to SELL to other nations. If we did not sell, we would not get money. When we do give food for free, its always realy cheep, and you do get something back when those people are alive to buy american products, with what little money they have. Most likely it would be ciggarets since American ciggarets are sold througout the world, and if they do use their money to buy these, they hurt themselves, but feel like they are doing something good for themselves.

Also you could look at it this way:

Africa has had a famine, and if we dont do something 20,000 people will die.

So we do something.

Those people are alive, they can live for another generation. Well, they have another famine and because of the population increase, 40,000 people will die if we dont do something.

So we give them more food.

The population has increased once again. This time its 80,000 people if we dont do something. But this time, we dont have enough recources since we already are selling to other countries and the price of the food we have already gave them has accumilated. So we give them all we can, and 40,000 people die.

Now, would you rather kill 20,000 people at the beginning, or 40,000 people at the end?

It comes down to a matter of ethics. I myself still dont know what I would do. Just something to think about.

EDIT: People are a HELL OF A LOT happier now, than they were when we did not have a capatalistic econimy. I dont think people were that happy when we still bartard, do you?

January 04, 2004, 09:32:02 AM
Reply #4

Kiirar

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
Quote from: LightLink

Of course everything is about money. With it you can do pretty much anything you want, like you said. Thus, you will be happy. People want to be happy. Its human nature to do everything for the benifit of ones self. VERY rarely will a human do something with no benifit towards herself/himself.

EDIT: People are a HELL OF A LOT happier now, than they were when we did not have a capatalistic econimy. I dont think people were that happy when we still bartard, do you?

Not necessarily.  More money brings more choices, and now the studies are coming out that as the number of choices grows, so does the overall unhappiness.
"If I am going to be drowned--if I am going to be drowned--if I am going to be drowned, why, in the name of the seven mad gods who rule the sea, was I allowed to come thus far and contemplate sand and trees?"

January 04, 2004, 09:40:45 AM
Reply #5

LightLink

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• View Profile
Realy? So, if we had a communist economy, you think that would work? NO! But by what your saying, if everybody had just enough money to live, nobody was rich, you think that would make people happy? Of course not. People want choices, people want to have the ability to become rich. If there was no possibility to become rich, everybody would be unhappy. If there were no choices, people would feel like their rights have been taken away, wich they have. Americans love their rights. They love money. Because people are in it for themselves, everybody is.

January 04, 2004, 09:53:00 AM
Reply #6

Kiirar

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
Realy? So, if we had a communist economy, you think that would work? NO! But by what your saying, if everybody had just enough money to live, nobody was rich, you think that would make people happy? Of course not.

I said nothing of the sort.  I was reflecting the result of an opinion, one I am inclined to agree with.  

People want choices, people want to have the ability to become rich. If there was no possibility to become rich, everybody would be unhappy.

They already are.

If there were no choices, people would feel like their rights have been taken away, wich they have. Americans love their rights. They love money. Because people are in it for themselves, everybody is.

Of course.  But as the number of choices grows, so does the pressure of finding the right one.  Consider it in regards to your own life.  People are not happy with what they have, that is given.  Complexity breeds complexity.  If you wanted to go on vacation, you'd have to consider all the different packages, hotel, airlines, tourism spots, and so on, and it gets stressful.  A large amount of choices brings the thought that the perfect one is out there and now you have to find it.  Does that make any sense?

January 04, 2004, 10:03:48 AM
Reply #7

LightLink

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• View Profile
I said nothing of the sort.  I was reflecting the result of an opinion, one I am inclined to agree with.

Yes, but you seemed to have implied it. Sorry if you didnt

They already are.

Would they be happier withought choices? Nope.

Of course.  But as the number of choices grows, so does the pressure of finding the right one.  Consider it in regards to your own life.  People are not happy with what they have, that is given.  Complexity breeds complexity.  If you wanted to go on vacation, you'd have to consider all the different packages, hotel, airlines, tourism spots, and so on, and it gets stressful.  A large amount of choices brings the thought that the perfect one is out there and now you have to find it.  Does that make any sense?

But that gives you the ability to choose. Withought it, you would be even unhappier. What if everybody HAD to go to the same hotel chain. What if you did not like that one. What if all the rooms were the same? That would elliminate even more choices. Then people would have to spend the same amount...what if you could not afford it?

January 04, 2004, 10:33:18 AM
Reply #8

Neti Neti

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    he-who-posts-lots
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nightrundesigns.com/jp/linx/modules/tutorials/viewtutorial.php?tid=25
*makes a cheesy but meaningful post*

Money is the root of all evil. >.>

So it must be the root of all good as well.
People only see what they are prepared to see.

Give all to love; obey thy heart.

Insist on yourself; never imitate... Every great man is unique.

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.

Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannon-balls and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today.[/I]
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Place Of Heart Board

January 04, 2004, 04:09:59 PM
Reply #9

Kiirar

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile

But that gives you the ability to choose. Withought it, you would be even unhappier. What if everybody HAD to go to the same hotel chain. What if you did not like that one. What if all the rooms were the same? That would elliminate even more choices. Then people would have to spend the same amount...what if you could not afford it?

Choice in itself is not a bad thing, that is not what I am trying to say.  I am saying that too much choice does just as much harm as too little.

January 04, 2004, 05:14:07 PM
Reply #10

Kenners

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kenners.cjb.net
I still think digital watches are totally dandy so forget you mr. adams!!!!
CHoices may make people think they are unhappy but what do they know?  They are just poopy heads!!!!  I mean like beng able to have the choice between chocolate and vanilla ice cream is very nice because sometimes your in the mood for chocolate and osmetimes it's just to darn rich ya know?  And when you throw in strawberry it's even better cus siometimes your up for the whole frutty thing ya know, gettin' sick of eating stuff that comes from a bean.
So now to further complicate this you get tossed in a whole big basken robins, now you have like a hundred to choose from.  Still you gotta just go with the flow.  When that chocolate peanut butter catches you eye just go with it. Howvever the real problem comes in when you go from your choice of two to a choice of any type of food.  Then it's like bamn!  Do you have cookies?  Ice cream?  That kinda big change is ucky and a bit much to be taking in.  So you choose something your familiar with and then look back and say damn I shoulda pizza.  But eventually your once again get used to it.  

The point of this pointless story is that you should go with your gut when chosing which food to eat, and if you can't handle it go on one of them strict diets so you have no choice anyway!
Hey!  I'm a golden god!  Back off!

January 04, 2004, 06:40:55 PM
Reply #11

Kiirar

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kenners

CHoices may make people think they are unhappy but what do they know?  They are just poopy heads!!!!  I mean like beng able to have the choice between chocolate and vanilla ice cream is very nice because sometimes your in the mood for chocolate and osmetimes it's just to darn rich ya know?  And when you throw in strawberry it's even better cus siometimes your up for the whole frutty thing ya know, gettin' sick of eating stuff that comes from a bean.
So now to further complicate this you get tossed in a whole big basken robins, now you have like a hundred to choose from.  Still you gotta just go with the flow.  When that chocolate peanut butter catches you eye just go with it. Howvever the real problem comes in when you go from your choice of two to a choice of any type of food.  Then it's like bamn!  Do you have cookies?  Ice cream?  That kinda big change is ucky and a bit much to be taking in.  So you choose something your familiar with and then look back and say damn I shoulda pizza.  But eventually your once again get used to it.  

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say.  But I hate chocolate ice cream.

January 05, 2004, 02:49:53 AM
Reply #12

mystic

• Veritas Furniture

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
think he was trying to make this into a metaphor using food...
however, the point remains money is nothing more than a tool for people. In a sense, I am in a quanandry when it refers to money. I myself don't like it at all, however I realize that something is needed in order to survive. before it was money, foods, goods, and services were used to trade things with. However, humans always had something to trade with-even if it wasn't money

January 05, 2004, 09:03:44 AM
Reply #13

LightLink

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• View Profile
I have thought about how we would servive without money. I thought that maybe it would be like:

If you worked, you got stuff for free.

But then I realised...what would stop people from getting 3 houses 14 cars and a whole bunch of other stuff. Nothing...unless we made a limit...then we are getting rid of people rights...thats not good

January 05, 2004, 12:22:48 PM
Reply #14

neijia

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
Quote from: "LightLink"
I personaly dont agree with this. Well, I agree that it is true, but its not neccecarily a bad thing.

while humans do want to get what will make them happy, consider this:
if humans want happiness, they want it for as long as possible.  let us liken ourselves with money to a glass and happiness to water.  we spend money and get our glass filled, but we must always drink from it and it gets empty.

but humans can experience everlasting happiness.  let us liken this way to a lake.  water flows in and out and you never run out.  thus you have happiness.

since humans want to have happiness for as long as possible, having fleeting moments of happiness with money doesn't seem like it is a very good thing.
"If you make yourself more than just a man...if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else, entirely."
-Batman Begins trailer

All Hail Huang.
http://www.geocities.com/huangskungfu/Intro.html