Author Topic: How to be yourself?  (Read 1214 times)

September 29, 2004, 06:08:49 PM
Read 1214 times

The Gunslinger

• A Familiar Feature

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
I thought this was the apropriate forum. If not feel free to move this thread.

I normaly dont' come to a forum for this type of stuff but lately i've been having lots of problems with truely just not caring what people think and being myself. This is really stupid of me. Becuase I know all that stuff about how 'not everyone will always like you.'

But i've had problems with this my whole life. And the weird thing is, is that when i act like myself people love to be around me. I'm all the things i ever loved about myself, funny, smart (somtimes ass is attached to this word), calm (collected), and most of all compasionate. I love being able to talk to someone and make their WHOLE day better. God thats the best feeling in the world!

But i just cant'. I worry. I feel obligated to others to be somthing. And then i loose track of what i am, and then i go in a downward spiral of 'who am i'/'what do i believe in'. And i KNOW i've taken care of all of these problems before. But i feel like they are only temporary solutions for a problem thats been happening sense i was twelve. Please, any reaspon is welcome, so feel free to answer. Even if its just "grow up ya sissy!". Thanks for reading this.
"Better in one ecstatic epic day
 To strike a blow for glory and for truth,
With ardent singing heart to toss away
 In freedom's holy cause my eager youth,
Than bear as weary years pass one by one
 The knowledge of a scared task undone."
{~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}
A man who runs in front of a truck gets tired.

A man who runs behind a truck gets exusted.
--Ancient Chinese Proverb

September 29, 2004, 06:41:53 PM
Reply #1

VERiTAS

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
Just  be - you cant go wrong with that :)

And anything that gets in your way of you showing positive Chi (life force) - flash its neagtive (dont know many that f-ck with my positivity turned sour) - works for me.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificandoque Invenies Occultum Lapidem

September 29, 2004, 08:30:12 PM
Reply #2

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• 0. The Fool... Inverted?

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
Then realize that while others do have expectation of you, you are not obligated (except maybe in their mind) to be what they want you to be. And you can't be yourself if you're being someone else :) (yes I know it's obvious, but meditate upon it because eventhough it is obvious, it is important)

~kakkarot
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

September 30, 2004, 01:12:27 AM
Reply #3

Void

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• View Profile
Know thyself:

Sit down and listen to yourself,
In listening to yourself - understand yourself,
In understanding yourself - apply yourself,
In applying yourself - learn from victory and failure,
In your learnings expand yourself.
To know yourself is a process - like riding a bike,
At first you are uncertain,
But with practice and constistant application,
Riding becomes certain.

30-09-04

September 30, 2004, 11:20:17 AM
Reply #4

Alhireth-Hotep

• A Familiar Feature

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    Hundred-plus Club
    • View Profile
Alternatively, you might find it useful to think of it this way:  You can't do anything but be yourself.  You have no choice; you are yourself.  "So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will" (AL I:42).  Not meaning that you are some kind of moral failure for not doing your will, but that even trying (and failing, it seems) to conform to what people want is part of your will.  On the other hand, consider that if you're failing to conform, then maybe you shouldn't (in a pragmatic rather than a moral sense) be trying at all.  If this is the case, then it may be that pretty soon the behavior you don't want will go away therefore.  Knowing who you are is useful for all sorts of reasons, but knowing yourself follows rather than precedes being yourself.

September 30, 2004, 01:03:52 PM
Reply #5

Neti Neti

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    he-who-posts-lots
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nightrundesigns.com/jp/linx/modules/tutorials/viewtutorial.php?tid=25
They have basically said about everything, so I will add in my one cent.

Know yourself. Thats the key to being yourself. Define what you are, and don't be one sided otherwise. How to go about doing this? Take a journey inward. Blah blah blah, I know, I sound like a hippie or some high stoner sometimes, but I don't really know how to word it any other way. You are your greatest threat-- remember that. You are also your greatest ally. You make or break you. The key to being yourself is thus--- to know who you are.
People only see what they are prepared to see.

Give all to love; obey thy heart.

Insist on yourself; never imitate... Every great man is unique.

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.

Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannon-balls and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today.[/I]
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Place Of Heart Board

September 30, 2004, 01:26:32 PM
Reply #6

The Gunslinger

• A Familiar Feature

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
I'd just like to thank everyone that has said somthing, and to anyone who may post in the future. Even though I've been having a problem with this along time, your comments have put a vast amount of insite into my problems. Thanks agian.
"Better in one ecstatic epic day
 To strike a blow for glory and for truth,
With ardent singing heart to toss away
 In freedom's holy cause my eager youth,
Than bear as weary years pass one by one
 The knowledge of a scared task undone."
{~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}
A man who runs in front of a truck gets tired.

A man who runs behind a truck gets exusted.
--Ancient Chinese Proverb