Author Topic: New to iih - too much sleep needed  (Read 289 times)

October 20, 2018, 05:31:03 AM
Read 289 times

vladimir007

• View Profile
Hey! I'm a beginner to practice of iih, I like it very much. My very problem is my sleep quota, which is around 10 hours/day, sometimes more! I had also several days when i slept 3-4 hours, but then i had to recover :headwall: . What can I do to increase my energy and decrease my necesity for sleep? Also, I am student and I live in a student dormitory, I don't know the name in english. A room rented for students by university, with 3 other people, also more coming to my room. So, it's social impossible for me to perform any asana, so I have to meditate laying down in my bed. And often this drives me to get asleep. It's there any tip to keep me awake by phisycal method during this? I tried to keep my toes upward, but doing this I can't pay enough attention to meditation anymore. And I came home today and done a semilotus posture and it was a very huge difference! Much more energy, I mean, MUCH more, and much few thoughts. Thanks!

October 21, 2018, 01:05:58 AM
Reply #1

الظلام

• Settling In

• View Profile
Hello there :P
Actually, the "Thought control" exercises of the first step in the IIH can actually help.
Why?
For quite a few reasons really:

1. They relax your mind, and reduce your exertion of mental/emotional energy.

2. They increase your willpower, concentration power, and your mental capacity, so you will be able to handle more before getting tired.

3. A lot of times when people think they are tired or need to sleep, they're really just under the affect of laziness, drowsiness, or some other mental state and aren't actually in need of sleep. With the thought control exercises, you will be in control of your mental activity and will be much better at fighting the influence of mental states or emotions which make you tired.

I use to require a lot of sleep too, however after going through the IIH, I really only require 3 or 4 hours to function well.

October 23, 2018, 06:04:53 PM
Reply #2

الظلام

• Settling In

• View Profile
One other thing I'd like to point out that is simple but often overlooked, is that if you are living an inactive lifestyle, this will contribute to your sleep problem, so  obviously getting into a more active lifestyle will raise your energy level and help you to require less sleep.