Author Topic: Refurbishing the V-Library  (Read 44 times)

December 02, 2017, 03:49:59 AM
Read 44 times

MikeWho

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Ani otseh ha-orad
    • View Profile
I've spent years relying on the V-Library as a means of reference as well as interest. Tonight I went to read Dion Fortune's The Mystical Qabalah when I noticed that the link was dead. In fact, I found that a great many of the links were down.

I'm willing to make it a personal project and responsibility to upgrade it. I'm the least social piece of Veritas Furniture that exists here but do regular the site on a monthly to weekly basis as "guest" and have for almost a decade. I've watched the place go from competing with other forums and filled with mischief and mentors, weekend retreats and scandal, to being just about as dead as it is now.

As a fellow community member, I would like to put my hand in refurbishing the site. An Veritas "revival" of sorts, perhaps by way of academia and I believe this begins in the library. I believe that with a strong library we will rebuild our position as a goto destination for students, teachers, professors, practitioners, and the mere curious. A strong library also encourages the use of the forums, which remains our primary apparatus of communication.

Who do I speak to about contributing my time to rebuilding the library?

December 02, 2017, 08:53:13 AM
Reply #1

Rayn

• Settling In

• View Profile
I've spent years relying on the V-Library as a means of reference as well as interest. Tonight I went to read Dion Fortune's The Mystical Qabalah when I noticed that the link was dead. In fact, I found that a great many of the links were down.

I'm willing to make it a personal project and responsibility to upgrade it. I'm the least social piece of Veritas Furniture that exists here but do regular the site on a monthly to weekly basis as "guest" and have for almost a decade. I've watched the place go from competing with other forums and filled with mischief and mentors, weekend retreats and scandal, to being just about as dead as it is now.

As a fellow community member, I would like to put my hand in refurbishing the site. An Veritas "revival" of sorts, perhaps by way of academia and I believe this begins in the library. I believe that with a strong library we will rebuild our position as a goto destination for students, teachers, professors, practitioners, and the mere curious. A strong library also encourages the use of the forums, which remains our primary apparatus of communication.

You really don't need to, because a simple program written in Python could do that. In fact, that is sort of how it is done. A program written in Python can be created that combs through site links to determine which ones are broken. In theory, Vecna, Kobok, Mobius, and maybe XIII could write something like this. In the past, I have spoken to Kobok about programming solutions, but if I recall correctly, his response was something about this site being a volunteer site. That was almost two years ago, though, it would it would be easy to implement that. But writing something like that would essentially be like reinventing the wheel, because I am sure there are a lot of code already written for this floating around. In fact, I just looked on GitHub and found a lot of those sort of projects,

Your intention is noble, but altogether meaningless in that you really don't need a community; rather, you simply need one or two good developers... The community sort of already have that, but they just don't do it. You can combine spider bots with some Machine Learning to automatically build up a library of sorts where you can supplement that with user feedback to identify places where it sort of failed. I know how to do this but so does Vecna. The moderators are capable of doing this all by themselves with minimal effort, but for whatever reason, they don't.

If you want to do this, though, here are my suggestions:

Learn how to program
Learn a language that allows you to comb through links and identify ones that yield response codes that are not 200(I prefer Python for this but most scripting languages will do)
Combine that with a Machine Learning API(I think it is impractical for you to learn it all by yourself) albeit I have no experimented with Machine Learning API's out there for this purpose, for it has been for other purposes
Since this is a Wiki, you should be able to alter the links, and if not, PM whatever to Kobok

I really could not care less about this community and I really could not care less about getting people interested in occultism, so the reason why I gave the above responses was to get you interested in something that I really am interested in and want people to be more interested in; artificial intelligence, programming, and discrete mathematics, which you would implicitly be using. I want more people interested in STEM, so if working on an occultic forum can spark that, I am for it
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 09:09:57 AM by Rayn »

December 02, 2017, 09:31:18 PM
Reply #2

MikeWho

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Ani otseh ha-orad
    • View Profile
Thats not a problem, which is why  I'm volunteering to do it.