Author Topic: Century of the Self  (Read 1948 times)

October 17, 2015, 09:50:00 PM
Read 1948 times

gimel_samech

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    mmmm... charu
    • View Profile
I had a great convo with my brother today, about the Century of the Self and everything we've lost, as well as a few things we've gained as we've become increasingly self-obsessed. Besides depression sky-rocketing and self-aggrandizing becoming expected in our society, one of the big things I observed was how spirituality has become such an inward quest. We seem to ask ourselves more inward questions like "Who am I?" or "What is my path?" As opposed to the more community centered quests of centuries before like, "What religion is best for my family?" or "Do I see this religion making the world a better place?"

Do you all thing this is a good shift? If so, do you think the consciousness of humanity will shift back to a more community-based perspective eventually?
While the Air whistles by
And the Earth finds the time
To watch the Water's path
That the ocean it will find
The dancing of the fire
Burns into my mind
And all the world without
Within you rings and rhymes

October 18, 2015, 12:37:10 AM
Reply #1

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
It is very important to know where the self stands in terms of spiritual ideals and practices while also having a mutual understanding and acceptance of other spiritual/religious ideals and practices. Asking 'what is the best spiritual course of action for my family and community' is no good unless the community itself sits together and asks the question as a united whole, otherwise it is just conjecture. My family and friends all have different and quite unique spiritual beliefs and practices (of course there are similarities) yet we each share a strong bond with one another. Spirituality in itself is not a bonding tool and can even cause harm (the whole debate over Left-Hand Path and Right-Hand Path, or This Buddhism versus That Buddhism, et cetera)

There is also the weapon of religion as a tool for mass conformity and control - if an entire nation believes in the same holy book, the same idea of god, and follows the exact same practices it is much easier for a governing body to utilize such knowledge for the mental slavery of the believers of the said faith.

I believe spirituality is about connection on the deepest perceivable level with others and is about much more than yourself and human social needs and desires and should also be rooted in nature and cosmic mysteries, but the way I go about living by my spiritual philosophy and practicing my devotions and magic are very personal and it should be, otherwise I am not able to attain Gnosis/divine revelation/Satori but am just another cog in the wheel instead of discovering mystical wisdom and being able to help others through direct experience over dogma.

When it comes down to it, when we are guided by intuition and self-awareness and achieve personal desires we are much happier then being guided by an outside power that determines what is best for us, because we eventually discover that being with and helping others is very beneficial for all involved anyway. Basically, spirituality has nothing to do with strong bonds between family, friends, and community, unless it is our personal spirituality that guides us towards said connection.
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."

November 23, 2015, 03:37:08 PM
Reply #2

Magari

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    The Only Constant is Change
    • View Profile
    • Modo Magi
Personally I think we maxed out the self, individuality, ego, whatever, a while ago.

We are currently shifting back towards community, feminine perspective, ect.

December 01, 2015, 09:29:32 AM
Reply #3

OrangeJuice

• Settling In

• View Profile
Personally I think it's just part of the natural evolution of things. I.e. people may need to live a certain way to make various realizations. Someone may need to live a very selfish life to realize that it never made him or her happy.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:51:32 AM by OrangeJuice »

December 01, 2015, 02:06:31 PM
Reply #4

Enchia

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
[...]one of the big things I observed was how spirituality has become such an inward quest. We seem to ask ourselves more inward questions like "Who am I?" or "What is my path?" As opposed to the more community centered quests of centuries before like, "What religion is best for my family?" or "Do I see this religion making the world a better place?"

Do you all thing this is a good shift?

Spiritual practices cannot be seen without there cultural and historical context. In the modern western world there is an increasingly focus on individualism. Meaning that the individuals own self becomes the focus of attention and less the community where the individual is from. It makes sense that within this context spiritual practices also becomes focused on the individual himself. Organised forms of spirituality (e.g. religion) that used to function in an other historical context now slowly loses ground due to a change in awareness of the self in the modern times.

I don't know if it is a good or a bad thing. To my mind it is as it is and personally I like this individualistic way as it gives me a lot of room for personal exploration and experimention.

If so, do you think the consciousness of humanity will shift back to a more community-based perspective eventually?

The future is a mysterious lady.

December 01, 2015, 07:00:31 PM
Reply #5

Magari

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    The Only Constant is Change
    • View Profile
    • Modo Magi
I think a proper magician is a master of both, the individualistic as well as community life.