Author Topic: What if there is no god?  (Read 18979 times)

July 14, 2014, 10:15:22 AM
Reply #30

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
tried as have before no christian or pagan or other god has decided.that i am important enough to talk to.

That would presume God has a very small attention span, which I don't think is a warranted premise.  I think the problem most people face is being too loud and mentally assertive to hear anything.  I think God is quite capable of being loud and assertive, but chooses not to be to preserve our free will.  As a result one can't talk to God very well in the midst of asserting our own impressions and expectations of God.  This is ridiculously easy to screw up.

Sure, i say that in slim hopes that i can piss it off enough to do something, anything.

If a very young child while upset says "I don't like you!" to a parent, no emotionally healthy parent will take that very personally.  Surely God is a little more patient and emotionally healthy than a typical parent.  And to God we are all very young.

On the one hand if there is a god and i do have a purpose i would feel useless if it was mundane and if it wasn't i would be after i had carried it out. On the other hand if there is no god and i have no purpose and just popped into existence then it seems i truely am useless and my lackluster achievements of the mundane are all i have and i don't have much for a life.

I think you've internalized the Hollywood version of "destiny" and "purpose" which is designed to fit into compact 2 hour movies, or other finite stories with solid conclusions.  This makes sense when you are trying to make a story for entertainment with a beginning, middle, and end.  However this notion is incompatible with the sort of purpose which would inspire one to create a bunch of immortal souls.

In other words, you cannot "complete" your purpose, because it is not so trivial as that found in a story.  I'll leave you to think about the broader category of purposes creation of an immortal soul implies.

I'm an overnight cook at a mcdonalds for fucks sake.

Hahah.  Well that explains all the angst about God!  Working at McDonalds for too long has to be pretty soul-crushing.  You have my sympathies for that one.

It didn't help me that my father lied to me for over ten years with him proclaiming god jad spoke to him off and on, leading my whole family to homelessness me dropping out.of high school and becoming transient on some religious crusade around the country until i finally realised that he was simply suffering from self delusion. He has since apologised for his actions but a simple apology won't suffice to me for manipulation on that level. For six years i traveled with them sometimes to go my own way for a year or so, and when that house of cards came crashing down, so did my entire religion, my way of life, my meaning and purpose was gone with nothing left except what i am and what i have done.

I'm sure that was crushing and demotivating.  But this is actually great!  You learned more about error and religion than most people ever get the opportunity to experience, and those are valuable lessons.  And your "religion" and "way of life" fell entirely to pieces because they were wrong, and you learned your way past that set of errors that you were born into.  This too is great, because when all of your wrong beliefs have been destroyed, the emptiness which is left provides an opportunity to gradually rebuild something much more correct.

I would urge you mostly to have patience with this process of rebuilding a more correct understanding.  It's the sort of thing that should justifiably take a long time.  One of the core things many of us find most disconcerting is "not knowing" answers to important questions.  The not-knowing can be so uncomfortable that this is what drives many people to seek the simplistic comfort of easy and wrong answers.  Like, "God tells me what to do!" or "This book has all the answers!" or "I'm certain there is no God!"  But you've seen the easy-answer path.  You know it doesn't work out.  So now try the hard path, and be willing to accept the internalized unknown while you gradually fill in the things you can know or understand.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

July 14, 2014, 02:32:17 PM
Reply #31

Felidae

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Narratively speaking, you're in a good place for things to get better right now... though as always, that's probably less a comfort than it might be(since reality can function on narrative causality but doesn't always do so automatically). Hope you find the answers you seek and a life that's closer to what you want. No need to feel bad about having to work at mcdonalds currently... a lot of people are in a bad position right now*insert rant about capitalism here*. Depression sucks.

The question of god is one that is best answered individually and often doesn't seem to end up in nearly the same place one starts from, but whatever the real answer is or whatever answer you choose to believe in as most likely, you are an individual being with a (relatively) free mind in a large and mysterious world where anything can happen. Once you get past the veneer of a gray reality that this society tries to force one to live in, there is more wonder and horror than anyone can easily conceive in this world and no need to limit yourself to any of the standards of others to exactly what point in that one lives on. Become a real life supervillain if you really want to(not entirely suggesting this, just a possible option as part of the general point).

July 15, 2014, 09:57:15 AM
Reply #32

supadude

• Posts By Osmosis

• Super Villain

• View Profile
Kobok, you are one of the few people i have ever met who "is always right" moreso than i am hahah.    But i have always had the folly of childish ideals, After all its gods fault I'm not a millionare yet so wtf.

Everything is cool Estatikos, but all i did on my birthday was game out on black ops zombies eating tacos.  :cool:

And felldae, I'm only the supervilllain of veritas. :wink:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:55:42 PM by supadude »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnA8GUtXpXY&feature=player_embedded
A must see study for all!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVWUFDDyAHmC2k1m2rnGvQw
My youtube channel

The proud owner of the 200,000th post made on Veritas.

August 03, 2014, 09:58:26 PM
Reply #33

Shadowx089

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I still hold that if there was no God. I am no longer bound by the ideal of what is right and wrong. Therefore, nothing I do is wrong no matter how much it seems wrong to others, It wouldn't matter to me because to be frank I will suffer no ultimate consequence. Maybe end up in jail and die a bloody way but boy I would have had lots of fun and felt totally free before that came to pass.  My only limit would be my own imagination and people who wanted to stop me. 
Comfort of the Lord, comforted by God.
If nothing existed but the Source and the Source - Created everything - Is the Creation from the Source? - If the Creation can behold intelligence - Then does the Source also have intelligence? - After all - The Source was far more than its Creation.

August 05, 2014, 04:40:06 PM
Reply #34

supadude

• Posts By Osmosis

• Super Villain

• View Profile
 I sort of unbound in that way as well shadow. But, out of respect for life and humanity i bind myself by the virtue of empathy and compassion. Empathy because i know what it is like to be harmed, and compassion to not wish it upon my fellow man. Those simple truths are godless and are universal. In the end, for humanity to prevail we must all recognise these things as vital to our evolution to a higher state of existence and our survival as a species.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnA8GUtXpXY&feature=player_embedded
A must see study for all!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVWUFDDyAHmC2k1m2rnGvQw
My youtube channel

The proud owner of the 200,000th post made on Veritas.

August 05, 2014, 07:00:47 PM
Reply #35

Merlin

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
If I may, I would suggest getting your GED and looking for a job that you enjoy a bit more. Anything to improve your quality of life will work wonders on your mental health, and might help you to pursue this question from a different state of mind.

If a god exists, then I think the idea that he doesn't care enough to talk to you would take a backseat to the bigger picture that he cared enough to create you.
"Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" -George Bernard Shaw

August 13, 2014, 10:50:34 PM
Reply #36

Shadowx089

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I sort of unbound in that way as well shadow. But, out of respect for life and humanity i bind myself by the virtue of empathy and compassion. Empathy because i know what it is like to be harmed, and compassion to not wish it upon my fellow man. Those simple truths are godless and are universal. In the end, for humanity to prevail we must all recognise these things as vital to our evolution to a higher state of existence and our survival as a species.

I understand this, but at the moment it seems pointless knowing that humans only live a short time and even near the age of death we are but children still. We don't have the ability to achieve a higher evolution unless a culture dominated and forced all to obey.  Which reminds me of a movie I think is coming out. I think they all have to take a pill or something and makes the people dull and logical and unable to express emotions.

So unless everyone took a magic pill to make them purely logical and emotionless. I doubt our species will evolve to a higher state of existence. Unless maybe if we go cyborg and make robot bodies. At any rate it would still be pointless for me or you since we would be dead long before either came into being.

So many negative thoughts in me, its good that God exist or else the world would have another horrible person to add to the collection.
If nothing existed but the Source and the Source - Created everything - Is the Creation from the Source? - If the Creation can behold intelligence - Then does the Source also have intelligence? - After all - The Source was far more than its Creation.

December 18, 2014, 12:46:07 PM
Reply #37

Kyfixorus

• Settling In

• View Profile
God and reality are what your current state of mind represents.
All the gods are legend that you can use to base tour lifestyle around
You will never see a God In the phsyical realm because they break the bounds of reality by existing.(therefor they exist in the conscious)
Their is multiple gods, many more deities, but only one creator.
Another thing to notice is we are also gods our selves, by that I mean we have full control over our wills, but our past lives give you innate traits, aspirations, or they can give you side tracked beliefs that you must realize as the wrong path in life.

The creator is the force that allows existence.
Gods govern the rules life must follow to exist.
Deities are humans with godlike qualities.

We can be creators too, lucid dream and that's apparent.
When your eyes are open its the physical
When your eyes are closed its the etheral
If you act the part reality will chase you
Be the being you wish and the choices will tighten the knot of thought to become your new conscious state.

December 18, 2014, 01:27:54 PM
Reply #38

Merlin

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
The creator is the force that allows existence.
Gods govern the rules life must follow to exist.
Deities are humans with godlike qualities.

We can be creators too, lucid dream and that's apparent.

That distinction between gods and deities most likely exists only in yor paradigm; in plain English, there is no distinction. Referring to something as a god may more strongly connotate a religious relationship, but that's all.
"Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" -George Bernard Shaw

December 18, 2014, 02:55:58 PM
Reply #39

Kyfixorus

• Settling In

• View Profile
My stance on gods is the will nature provides in sustaining our lives.

Think if everyone used chi,
Think if we all became harmonized and balanced with our inner selves.
Now we have to remember yin and yang. How it applies to life and death,
and even further into light and dark/good and evil.
 The themes in culture all try and mimic the same goals.
Attaining perfection.
But on earth perfection is impossible because yin and yang always
have different amounts of prevalence acrossed the world.
But In the higher and lower realms you can find them in abundance.
Explain how we as a human race can decline spiritually, when spirituality
is the key ingredient in accepting what and who we are rather than
Fighting it and ignoring it. It lets shamans be shamans, allows mages to become
Sages. And the rich to become slaves and the poor to become rich. The basis of
Energy of all shapes and sizes is in an essence the same as the collective conscious.
All in the same just a different name and brain.
Knowing religious themes, and the similarities. Even in esoteric philosophy it all shares
The same thing. Speaking of a heaven, a higher place, altered states of concious.
Is prolonged use of meditation really going to give you glimpses of an afterlife,
Or is it all just a dream you have yet to wake up from?
When your eyes are open its the physical
When your eyes are closed its the etheral
If you act the part reality will chase you
Be the being you wish and the choices will tighten the knot of thought to become your new conscious state.

December 18, 2014, 07:41:04 PM
Reply #40

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
Deity comes from the Latin 'dei' which translates into English as 'god' and 'the Creator' is an aspect of the main God which governs over many gods, or its role in the cosmic and spiritual structure is as creator rather than destroyer or bringer of love.
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."

February 28, 2015, 10:44:47 AM
Reply #41

attempting

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
The whole topic of this thread is moot to me because I have personally experienced proof of God/dess, the great lodge in action, and gained a few siddhis. I wish everyone else was that lucky.

March 13, 2015, 09:15:20 PM
Reply #42

Shadowx089

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
The whole topic of this thread is moot to me because I have personally experienced proof of God/dess, the great lodge in action, and gained a few siddhis. I wish everyone else was that lucky.

Thus we must ask! Why are we not all that lucky? Why will my brothers and sisters never be given the eye opening realization that God exist? Why are some people lucky and everyone else seem completely abandoned?

March 15, 2015, 09:35:31 PM
Reply #43

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
Hard work and a willingness to face our darkest desires and fears yet still be able to rise from the death and torment of a fractured reality. I also believe it comes down to not fearing a lack of faith for true clarity. There is also the common mishap of interpreting our idea of divinity as the only true form instead of realizing deity, being externally real or internally perceived, may be different for others.
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."