Author Topic: Asatru/Germanic Neopaganism believers?  (Read 1979 times)

October 24, 2013, 07:00:30 PM
Read 1979 times

C_man

• Settling In

• View Profile
I'm looking into Nordic rune magic and in my research I have discovered the Asatru religion. So what is all of your opinions on the theology. Who practices the religion. What can you tell me about their beliefs and their magic systems.

October 24, 2013, 07:57:43 PM
Reply #1

Emerald Mushroom

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Your Mom.
    • View Profile
While I know nothing of asatru, I will give a warning on researching dead/revived/reconstructed religions, dont practice them. If it's dead you will have no frame of reference for the cultural significance of certain actions, items, foods, etc. If its revived in the purist sense this is better but not perfect, it will still take years of indoctrination into the culture for it to mean the right thing, and I'm not talking about understanding the significance, I'm talking about you truly believing them for the same reasons in an unshakable belief. If its reconstructed...*shudders* neopagans.... Scum....

anyway if your going to begin practicing one of these, dive in. Do your research, learn the meanings, and make it yours. Make it a personal religion create a relationship with these being that is your own your working will be much smoother, more effective and your understanding of the religions nature will be much better. Dont blindly follow the words of others in any religion, make it your own thing, your own belief.

of course it is runic lore, so for best results, spear yourself in the side and hang upside down for 7 days while meditating on them. Worked great for Odin.(I am not responsible for any injuries caused by my suggestion)
Knowledge is power. Guard it well.

October 24, 2013, 10:09:52 PM
Reply #2

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
I'm not Asatru but I'm close enough to pagan when it comes to belief and practice. I think the mythology is very interesting and has a lot to offer, especially with the modern studies into Runic Mysteries (what I practice from the Norse ways) and the pathworkings of the Nine Worlds of Yggdrasil (a good schematic of mystical integration if the Qabalah isn't for you), although I am not well versed in the Nine Worlds or their functions as of yet.

To me Asatru is just another pagan reconstruction much like Hellenic or Greco-Roman paganism only for the Norse but that is good since they are at least trying to the best of their abilities to bring back ancient cultures and dead practices.

An important thing, at least to me, to remember is the Marriage of Odin and Freyja which represents the union of the Vanir and Aesir, agricultural and war deities, respectively and how Freyja taught Odin Seidhr (divination) in turn for Odin teaching her Galdr (enchantment), which in itself was a taboo since only women should practice Seidhr and men Galdr at the time. Each Odin and Freyja hold dominion over fallen soldiers and it is Freyja who chooses first and is the primary caretaker of the valkyrie.

They also didn't discriminate between 'right' and 'left hand' practices as they understood and lived a life of balance with themselves, their natures and nature around them. Loki, considered evil and an equivalent of Satan, brings about Ragnorok, the apocalypse, by releasing Fenris upon the Gods. Sounds evil until we see it is also Loki who saves the Gods and returns to his 'seat on high' after creation is restored and balanced. You should also understand they were a warrior culture where even the woman and priests could brutally shame you with their fighting skills and although Thor is known as a benevolent God, the kindest among the Aesir, he respects feats of strength and bravery over all else and is said to be quite the drinking buddy!
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."

October 24, 2013, 10:53:12 PM
Reply #3

EllyEve

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
I'm Rokkatru, but Odin and Thor squeeze in sometimes into my UPG (that's Unverified Personal Gnosis). Agreeing with Mind_Bender that Thor makes an awesome drinking buddy.

Emerland Mushroom, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about Pagans ;) But I'll agree to the point that it takes lots and lots of research to really put the practices in as close to the correct context as possible, and scholarly texts are very very very expensive.

The most accessible "canon" are the Eddas written by Snorri Sturluson, who to my undertanding was a Christian and he just thought the mythology of the people he was converting would be such a novel curiosity, so he wrote it down, but he wasn't Pagan himself and might have missed something; and the Icelandic Sagas which were written by people who never stated the obvious. So, what was obvious to them them wasn't usually recorded, and we who have lost it in the modern day are forced to just guess at what they really meant. The sagas are more about the heroes and their heroic acts.

This is my very favorite blog about Norse "low mythology". Pagan normativity usually goes: "Find the gods and pray to them. The gods make stuff happen. That's the magic." But the low practice would have been the beliefs and practice of the people. Not all prayers go to the Aesir in Asgard. Some go to the wights, the disir, and such. There's even a horrible curse called the Nithing Pole or Nidhstang that freaks out the elves as part of its practice. Seriously, the word for it reads like "elf-freaker"!

Neo-Pagan normativity also goes that if you're meant to be in this religion, you'll get "thwapped". Historical context seems to make a distinction with Pagan gods: the Olympians were the forces of the cosmos, and godhood was just the names and faces we give them and their true forms would burn our mortal forms into ether just be being near it; The Tuatha de Dannan were heroes with magic and not gods themselves per se, only the goddess Danu was the goddess; the Aesir were ordinary mortal heroes who had access to the apples of youth, the ability to shapeshift, and great skill in battle to fight the chaotic forces of the universe represented by the Jotun and keep the Jotun under control--and this makes the Aesir gods themselves with godlike powers that mean they're forces of nature and not "merely" heroes.

So, you see, there are many different ways of considering the gods that could be left up to interpretation. But Neo-Pagans, from what I've seen, generally have it figured that all gods are gods are gods: energy beings with metaphorical stories to reflect a spiritual reality that we can have UPG (unverified personal gnosis) about when we meet them. The way it this faith was practiced back then may not have had this idea of "energy being" or "spiritual world"--but, modernization, yo.

Asatru and Odinism has also been taken up by an extraordinarily conservative branch of Paganism. Political religion still lives on today, with some conservative Pagan (yes, that's a thing) views on how strict gender roles should be because the Eddas named the gods in a list separate from the goddesses, and white supremacy because... you know... ain't no coloured folk that far up North. There are just as many Asatru who are tree-hugging racial integrationist gender egalitarians, but the former is a presence in the pagan community.

But you really want to know about the magic. Well, I practice seidhr, only because from osmosis I gleaned that seidhr-workers did a lot of astral projection so I basically transferred all of my psionic practice into this language. It's the basis for being spirit taught, although traditionally of course you would be apprentice to a seidhr-worker as much as you would be apprentice to the spirits, and this is difficult when the art has been dead for a while.

As for galdhr, that must be intuited as well. Note that it isn't only the Elder Futhark that you chant out loud, but such combinations like the Aegishjalmur and many more such runic inscriptions that survive in old Norse grimoires. But I basically just work it like a chaotic sigil, or else basic symbols combined with new age gemstone healing. Here is a link to the Wikipedia page about Icelandic combination symbols.

Here is a link to testimonies in the sagas about how magic was taught (Note that it is not a how-to manual)

You might note how the politics change. I remember reading through one new age rune book that said, "Divination by throwing runes only serves as a map for what is going on right now, because the ancients didn't believe in fate or have any concept of a predestined future..." Um uh NO. Wyrd? Orlog? Ragnarok? Well, we modern folk like to believe the we determine the future or that any future determinable in the present can still be changed to some parallel universe by free will quantum whatever... so, we'll rewrite history like that. I suppose that's just part of making a practice one's own.

For example, another thing that drew me towards seidhr was how I had finally found my "power animal" (under the tutelage of my ex psychic mentor, who was Wiccan in a way that appropriated Native American practices via Core Shamanism). Norse magic did have an animalistic component to it, but I technically shouldn't know what that is because you're only supposed to see your fylgja when you're dead. I consider my primary animal-self a fylgja anyway.

So... yeah, read lots, extrapolate on your own. Learn what Wyrd is, the relationship between Norns and Disir (if you have family issues and mother issues like I do, this segues into uneasy ancestor honoring and incorporates quite a bit of the kith-and-kin legacy culture that this faith was rooted in, but I feel it would be disingenuous to just cut it out), what Orlog is, the Fylgja and its different spellings, the Hugr, the Hamr, and the residents of otherworlds on the Yggdrasil no matter how Tolkienlike they sound: elves, dwarves, and giants-- how they have their own worlds but somehow keep interfering and hanging around Midgard so maybe they're all intersecting worlds. Learn about the Aesir, the Vanir, and the Rokkr... there's lots to learn.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:28:29 PM by EllyEve »

October 24, 2013, 11:15:58 PM
Reply #4

Emerald Mushroom

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Your Mom.
    • View Profile
nothingwrong with paganism at large(im kind of a chaos pagan if i were to be classified), just every neopagan ive found is... well... an asshat. and im not even going to start on the "druids" shammanism is alright in my book hell i dabble, but there are no druids. only charlatans.

anyway, that cleared up,  i uhhhh... well that guy above me did a good post, so yes. that.
Knowledge is power. Guard it well.