Author Topic: Lucidity, Dream-Type, Dream Guide  (Read 3568 times)

October 17, 2013, 02:36:57 AM
Read 3568 times

Mars

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Radonis
    • View Profile
Article: Lucidity, Dream-type, Dream guide & achieving lucidity

I decided to write a new article, I tend to like writing whole articles as I can fully express what I have learnt or my opinion and some guys on here more knowledgeable can come and just pick it apart. Its better that way I learn more ;) so please post your thoughts!

Lucidity in Dreams
Apparently Lucidity, is a rapidly growing nocturnal hobby. With many people each year practicing to achieve lucidity. There are many ways a person can go about this,
for example, there are 3 Methods that tend to work well, MILD + WILD + FILD , these fancy pheonetics stand for  **** Induced Lucid Dreaming.

WILD = Waking Induced Lucid Dreaming

MILD = Mnemonic Induced Lucid Dreaming

FILD = Focus Induced Lucid Dreaming - (A relatively new term possibly the incorrect one) other names Mental / Imagination / Active - Induced Lucid Dreaming

So what are these ? Well WILD is a form of Lucid dreaming where, you wake yourself somehow early in the sleep cycle and go back to sleep, scientifically memorable REM sleep is most achievable when waking up and going back to sleep again. It wakes your conciouss up partially allowing your concious to have more a view on the subconciouss. WILD has side effects, which one should be aware of when practicing lucid dreaming though these don't always occur. List of these are hallucinations; night terrors; sleep-paralysis, to mitigate the effects of this If you wake yourself up at an early time, before you need to wake up but when its light, for example at the moment If I were to use WILD I would wake at 6.AM - This reduces hallucinations as It appears that being in the dark your brain finds it easier to fill in information.

MILD is mnemonic induced lucid dreaming, and is where, you essentially tell yourself repeatedly that you will lucid dream, this is a bit more difficult and doesn't always work, but is best used while meditating before bed.

FILD is focus induced lucid dreaming, and is where ,you spend time imagining a lucid dream, or daydreaming, focusing on what you want the dream to be, for a good hour before dreaming, this often can have effect. viewing images and playing games, acting out your imagination, playing video games can all contribute to the likelyhood of lucid dreaming. Gamers tend to be more likely to lucid dream as their mind experiences a lot of variety of locations from their games, and games often have a goal to achieve which can be transferred into the dream state.

Dreams + Dream Type
What do my dreams mean ? Do they mean anything ? What are the different types of dreams ? What are lucid dreams like ? How do I maintain a lucid dream ?

Dreams don't always have a meaning, often they are the result of different impulses and chemicals being realeased making random dreams while your brain is repairing itself, or maintaining itself. A lot of scientists believe that dreaming is to repair and maintain our brain much like a hard drive being de-fragmented, and useless data being formatted. Sometimes dreams do mean things though, and not always as ominous as many people think but many dreams do have meaning. One theory is that we also developed dreaming as a model of reality, to act out things in the dreamstate while our brain repairs, we simulate certain emotions and the brain tests the reaction. It is said that people have up to 7 dreams a night, who knows what kind of diagnostics and repairs our brain runs on us.

An example that was given to me, which was given to me by one of the sources I am using for this article, that has been simplified for general education purposes. Imagine a cave-girl in the early periods of humanity, a girl in a primitive human socitey who would be cave dwellers and such, would often be berry picking while the men where out hunting for meat. So a girl would dream about berry picking but with a multitude of variables and emotions thrown in. Early dreams would often have attacking lions or other predators hunting humans. The dream would allow the girl to better respond in the real world. Often dreams, can throw up certain emotions and have a purpose, but also often they have no purpose other than a random collection of thoughts that your brain is showing you while it repairs.

When dreaming there are a multitude of dreaming types you can have, and people have a certain affinity to these types or a mix of the lot. These are believed to be formed by how the brain is wired concerning the affinity to each one, how a child learns or has adapted to a society. Or as my cousin Ned says who is very knowledgeable on the topic a chosen OS if you will.
Kinesthetic - Meaning a flowing of information or very active dreams, Kinesthetic tends to follow a certain pattern and logic and transition between states.
Numeric - Often involving calculation and symbols both Kinasthetic and Numeric are involved in problem solving
Colour/Visual  - Focusing on images and colours

I personally am a very visual learner with diagnosed Aspergers Symdrome with a liking of logic, maths and science so I have a mix of them all. But my dreams are primarily Kinesthetic, mainly because my dreams must follow a certain order, or logical flow. For example in my dreams, to transition from one zone to another, I have to take a train, I could walk in the same general direction of the train and never reach another zone as the brain cannot simulate such a large expanse when its meant to be using as little function as possible. So it creates a transition object ie, hopping on the train.

Using the cave-girl example. If she was a primarily visual learner she would focus on entirely visual aspects, if she had little affinity towards the kinasthetic spectrum, she would not react well to higly active dreams, and the dream enviroments wouldn't transition normally, they are quite open to variance and random changes in the enviroment, although random changes in the enviroment is common in everyones dreams, its more likely to happen those who are visually inclined.

List time
When Lucid dreaming, its an important there is an important list you should know, on how to identify a dream, and identify these certain aspects which allow you to achieve lucidity. They don't all always apply and sometimes they do, If none of them apply you might consider your dream is astral in nature(though I have not much knowledge on the astral) or you have a super-computer mind, because this list is a list of problems with dreams, where the brain using limited processing power to create its simulation causes some innacuracies within the dream world that don't make sense by reality.
  • Clocks do not work frozen at one point or jump and time does not transition. OR there are simply no clocks at all.
  • Technology doesn't work for anything other than its purpose in a dream(Try using a phone, can you only call a handful of people, try and type in a number of someone you know not on the phone and see if a conversation starts).
  • Waters reflections do not work properly, often water only reflects the frame of reference or the objects you are focusing on sometimes never, whereas in real life water reflects everything ALWAYS, but you see based on your angle of view.
  • Gravity is slightly lighter, do you notice yourself jumping a little higher ? (Not a really good one)
  • Look at your hands, does it take a while for your palm lines to focus in ? (This is a really good one, and can be done at any point in a dream)
  • Spin round, in the dream, is it extremely blurry ? Like so blurry that you would have to be very ill in life to achieve this ?
  • Locations don't make sense (Ie you head north of a town and end up at the south of the town again ?
  • You are forced to a certain location before you can transition between enviroments (Ie my example, I have to get a train or drive to go from one town to another in dreams, If walk in that general direction I will never reach there).
  • Some faces are permenantly blurred.

Here is also a list of bad indicators
- I can feel in my dream (The mind is very good at simulating feelings, touch, sight and smell, for must smell is the weakest though in dreams)
- Time does pass, and my dreams feel VERY long, weeks or months even(Some dreams can seem like months, this is bad indicator of telling if its a dream though.
- My dream feels like a normal day.

Remember a dream doesn't have to have anything drastic in it, I have had dreams that have just been a normal day, which has thrown me off what date it is, but there are always ways to tell if you really focus. Otherwise as I said the dream might be astral, or you may be a supercomputer ;) Another thing to be said that is that noticing the signs is the best way of maintaining a lucid dream, hands down there is no better method.

Excercises I can do to ensure, I lucid dream, or have more fun lucid dreaming ?
- Create a wonderland / mental sanctuary (this is very similar to astral sanctuaries in the mind, these require a lot of effort, where you have to memorise everything about the enviroment, choose somewhere enjoyable or something that your like, gardens, giant skyscrapers whatever)
- Try and focus on what you want the rules of your dream to be, and whether you want any ways to get round them. Ie gravity, saying cheatcode words like plzzturnoffgravity, disables gravity in the dream. Or finding hidden locations unlocking certain abilities.
-Try focus on creating objects in dreams at will or modifying the enviroment, sheer will alone should do it.

Sources:
Wikipedia
Lucidity.com
NED - My cousin, tulpamancer and lucid dreaming expert
My own experimentation
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 02:15:34 AM by Mars »
Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. -CS Lewis
Cultivation to the mind is as necessary as food to the body. - Marcus T Cicero

October 26, 2013, 10:19:20 AM
Reply #1

wazaker

• View Profile
I would like ask, what do you call an event when a host person had a nightmare, but instead, of waking up due to fright, i can change or to be precise, edit my own nightmare?, its like i can tap to the part of my brain responsible for imagination while Im asleep and inject my desired idea to my subconscious brain...... is it just an acquired ability to my regular mind strengthening exercise?

October 27, 2013, 06:34:27 PM
Reply #2

Mars

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Radonis
    • View Profile
I would like ask, what do you call an event when a host person had a nightmare, but instead, of waking up due to fright, i can change or to be precise, edit my own nightmare?, its like i can tap to the part of my brain responsible for imagination while Im asleep and inject my desired idea to my subconscious brain...... is it just an acquired ability to my regular mind strengthening exercise?

I particular don't have a name for this, but yes I get this sometimes, Its rather a natural thing in someone with good will power, unless the dream was not really a nightmare and just seemed like one at first but got better towards the end where one thinks they change it. But likely yes, this is where you can start to control the dream and notice things in your dream, achieve lucidity.

In some ways its a form of spawning a new dream, or editing a new dream, I have had dreams where I have been able to rewind time in a nightmare to avoid the same mistake happening again you should hone this skill :)
Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. -CS Lewis
Cultivation to the mind is as necessary as food to the body. - Marcus T Cicero

October 28, 2013, 05:37:53 AM
Reply #3

EllyEve

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile

I think that's called "autosuggestion" or "dream incubation".