Author Topic: The Silent Knowledge  (Read 3061 times)

November 02, 2013, 03:30:35 PM
Reply #15

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
I'm talking about the hardcore believers, not simple church goers and those with faith in Christ, or whatever God/dess.

I totally agree with you Mars, that is why I mentioned:

I think spirituality for the common folk- everyone not of a zealot dogma or monastic life- is about containing the ego and making it an aspect of your self in a fun and contained way.
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."

November 02, 2013, 03:44:28 PM
Reply #16

Mars

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Radonis
    • View Profile
I'm talking about the hardcore believers, not simple church goers and those with faith in Christ, or whatever God/dess.

I totally agree with you Mars, that is why I mentioned:

I think spirituality for the common folk- everyone not of a zealot dogma or monastic life- is about containing the ego and making it an aspect of your self in a fun and contained way.

Ahhh forgive me lol! xD
I get confused as sometimes I'm seen as a very zealous person when it comes to religion, that and I didn't read properly!
Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. -CS Lewis
Cultivation to the mind is as necessary as food to the body. - Marcus T Cicero

November 03, 2013, 02:37:12 AM
Reply #17

M

• View Profile
But is this really the point of life? If I was meant to just sit around all day meditating why wasn't I reborn as rock or a tree? I am starting to feel that humans are meant to live physical lives and the Ego is part of this. Without the Ego how can I experience joy and happiness? Without the body how can I experience any physical pleasure? On the other hand maybe this is just the Ego trying to lure  me back into its grip.

Realize your ego is there and accept it. Don't give too much thought into other people's expressions of ego, because that all it is, an expression from a subjective view point. Claiming that the ego is evil is like saying sugar is evil- it's not good in massive quantities or for certain blood types but in small dosages it can be quite rewarding and fulfilling. Eliminating your ego is just eliminating a part of yourself and meditations to annihilate the ego are in essence slightly suicidal since you are in reality killing a part of you that is there because of necessity. Ego is the base intellectual-emotional aspect of survival and those that have turned away from their ego- Saints, Monks, etc- are because they serve something beyond themselves; their physical body and Earthly life isn't all that important to them, it is merely a vessel for a divine/higher spiritual cause or being.

If you want to live a life of Divine Service than let go of your ego and find a monastery or cave to cultivate in (honestly), but if you are like me and most others on a spiritual journey (not trying to become a servant just a better all around person) a little ego goes a long way and no ego makes you chump, in service of other peoples narrow views. I think spirituality for the common folk- everyone not of a zealot dogma or monastic life- is about containing the ego and making it an aspect of your self in a fun and contained way.

The union of Body, Mind and Spirit- for me- is not a nullification of ego as preachers of different paths say but a cultivation of the ego to serve you, your loved ones and your cause, be it spiritual or mundane.

WIthout ego, seriously, why not just be born as a tree or rock!

Thank you. This was my thoughts too. It didn't make sense to let go of the Ego. I was mostly concerned that the reason it didn't make sense was because the Ego was tricking me into not letting go. For now I will focus on reducing negative aspects of the Ego (such as anger, frustration, ect...).

I would like to know types of meditations and exercises you use to control the Ego and connecting to your True-self (or higher self).

The 3 main ones I use is:
1. Keeping track of my thoughts and feelings. When I get thoughts that are negative and only there to make the Ego feel superior, I cancel then out.
2. When I am alone or in a quite place I keep my mind clear of thoughts and focus on objects and view them for what they are without adding any labels to them.
3. I meditate in the morning where I focus on allowing the True-self to flow into me and then surrender to it. This is the exercise that cause me to fear losing the Ego. I would like to know if there is a way to merge the True-self with the Ego in some way.

And I would also like to know if there is a better way to remove negative thought patterns. I have read some people have success with just flooding their mind with positive feelings this way they won't have any negative thoughts. I am thinking about experimenting with this. I can create great feelings of love by visualizing Jesus and happiness by visualizing Ganesha. Have anyone had any experience with this type of exercise?

November 03, 2013, 09:23:11 AM
Reply #18

Mars

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Radonis
    • View Profile
Yes I get it when I focus on certain forms of God, I think its quite common when communing with the higher powers, especially God-forms.
I think our focus on them sort of attracts their energy in some form but I can't quite explain it.
Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. -CS Lewis
Cultivation to the mind is as necessary as food to the body. - Marcus T Cicero

November 03, 2013, 12:03:17 PM
Reply #19

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
You're welcome M. Praying and holding divine and kind thoughts is powerful, but you also need to face your self- repressed memories, denied emotions and aspects of people you do not like. This doesn't mean be hard on yourself and others with undue negativity but to be relentless in self-discovery. Why am I angry, what is the cause? Why do I want to kick this person in the eye everytime I see them, hear them or hear their name? Is it rational, even so, how can I be the type of person I want to be (kind, loving, supportive)? Etc, etc, until you are forced to face your demons head on, and let me tell you, facing them sooner than later is going to be much easier (but not always the way it is- some things are buried deeper than others so much so they may not seem to exist).

Drowning repressed emotions and negative thought patterns in love and light is only so you can love yourself and others in the fullest- there is no love without fear and no light without darkness. Fear and darkness are very powerful aspects of ego and once you let them become guides through modern life you will see life in a much broader perspective (such as through magical/spiritual initiation). Like the Protector's of the Dharma, your ego was once cruel and against you, but since you have become one, or are at least started communicating with your ego, it now acts on your behalf.

In short, to nullify the ego get to know it, it's strengths, weaknesses and how it can be of positive service to you.
Your ego is part of you so in essence it is with you to serve a higher cause- yours or to be commanded by another.
You take command of the ego by your meditations and keeping your mind in a state of internal and external awareness.
Any type of meditation, exercise (physical or mystical) that focuses on a greater cause than yourself- from taking out the trash for a roomate or saving the enviroment from greedy shareholders- will help nullify your negative egos hold on you and let the 'divine' ego shine through.
Look in the mirror everyday (I do it while brushing my teeth) and lovingly talk to yourself (silently or aloud, whatever you're comfortable with). Look deeply into your eyes, smile and expand your light, love and understanding. This, besides being an annoying showoff, is a great way to summon the hidden recesses of your ego (vanity) for introspection and evolution.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:06:25 PM by Mind_Bender »
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."