Author Topic: Why Did God Create Us?  (Read 17809 times)

September 21, 2013, 12:26:04 AM
Reply #90

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
You wrote: "What if your viewpoint is wrong?"

That was Steve.

Electricity and air are neither metaphysical nor immaterial.

We can physically feel air and electricity but they are  not physical like a potato or brick wall. Water can almost be seen as immaterial in the sense that it has no defining shape. The non-defining shape (formlessness) is what I mean by metaphysical in this respect.

You believe in something as counter-intuitive and unpopular as magic, and then you say there's no proof for it? Aren't you proving its existence every time you use it?

I have experienced magic and its results in my life but that is not proof to someone else in a different field of study. When I talk about proof I am not referring to myself but the reality of it to others.

What are you saying is a contradiction?

A reference to how I keep denying absolute truth by arguing with my own version of an absolute truth.

First, don't lump "argument" and "opinion" together like that. An argument is intended to prove an belief, an opinion is essentially a belief except for a connotation of subjectivity or uncertainty.
Second, proof is by definition not tangible. A proof would either be a sensory experience (of a tangible thing, but the experience itself is not tangible) or else an argument (certainly intangible).

If you posted 'proof' of your experiences it would be nothing but arguing your opinion.

If proof is only an argument or sensory experience than proof is nothing more than a subjective reasoning thus making truth fluid and subjective making your argument of proof no better than my abstract reasoning.
[/quote]
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."

September 21, 2013, 07:04:58 AM
Reply #91

Constructman

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Nothing to read here
    • View Profile
Oi, the free will debate opens up another can of worms. I assume from that statement that you're looking at the world from a compatibilist point of view? So how would you combat this quote: "Man is free to do what he wills, but he cannot will what he wills", "They indignantly repudiate this assertion, saying, "Why, I certainly am free to act and do as I please I do just what I want to do," but they fail to explain whence arise the "want to" and "as I please."" These two quotes (one by Arthur Schopenhauer, the other from The Kybalion) imply that though man is free to act upon his desires, he has little - no control of when these desires arise. Some neuroscientific research seems to support this somewhat. For instance, there was an experiment done by Masao Matsauhashi and Mark Ballet where they compared the timing of the start of an action and the intent to perform that action. What they observed was that the time of the conscious intention to move normally occurred too late to be the cause of movement genesis - the person's awareness wasn't the cause of the movement but rather merely noticed it.

September 21, 2013, 06:25:17 PM
Reply #92

The magicist

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
Oops, sorry constructman. I just clicked the little smite thing next to your name. Nothing happened, but the page icon reloaded. I then decided to click "applaud" to compensate for it incase I had somehow damaged your profile, and it gave you two more karma. What does smite do? What have I done?!?  :headwall:
Quote from: Mind_Bender
That was Steve.
Whoops. Sorry.
We can physically feel air and electricity but they are  not physical like a potato or brick wall. Water can almost be seen as immaterial in the sense that it has no defining shape. The non-defining shape (formlessness) is what I mean by metaphysical in this respect.
Electricity and air are just as physical as potatoes and brick walls, and water is far from immaterial. "Metaphysical" is the adjectival form of "metaphysics". It does not at all mean "having variable shape". And immaterial means "not made of matter; not subject to the properties of space, mass, and such".

If you posted 'proof' of your experiences it would be nothing but arguing your opinion.

If proof is only an argument or sensory experience than proof is nothing more than a subjective reasoning thus making truth fluid and subjective making your argument of proof no better than my abstract reasoning.
I can't prove my experiences to you, and I never said I could.

There is nothing subjective about reasoning. Reasoning makes an appeal to the rules of logic in order to show that proposition X entails or does not entail proposition Y.

Quote from: Constructman
These two quotes (one by Arthur Schopenhauer, the other from The Kybalion) imply that though man is free to act upon his desires, he has little - no control of when these desires arise.
Free will isn't the just to power to do what you want, it's the power to choose independently of what you want and/or what your instincts say etc, a power animals do not have.
Do not become comfortable with the purposeless pattern of everyday life, for the life of Piety is full of adventure.
Do not indulge in morbid or otherwise abhorrent thoughts, for a mindset of Mysticism confers a far superior pleasure.
Do not fear to sacrifice a small good to accomplish a larger one, for the ends justify the means.
Do not obsess with material things, for only the immaterial exis

September 21, 2013, 07:37:16 PM
Reply #93

Constructman

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Nothing to read here
    • View Profile
Applaud: Karma +1
Smite: Karma -1

The applaud and smite buttons are for when you think a post is good/bad respectively. The overall score reflects how many intelligent/stupid posts the user has made. It isn't really that accurate of a system.

October 01, 2013, 08:14:19 AM
Reply #94

Shadowx089

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
This whole topic is under the assumption everyone believes God is real and is our creator, that has given a purpose for our existence.

So the only justifiable answer is to ask God.

Now if everyone can't seem to start a conversation with God, I guess we need or lack something to meet the requirements to do so before we can quest for knowledge.

Until then this topic will always be the opinions of our purpose. Which nothing said here should be considered true as to our purpose in life. There is no wrong answer if we assume this. Everyone will have a different idea of their purpose so that they can continue on living with meaning.

So my advice off this subject is to be nice, play nice and agree to disagree and remember we are all genetically 99.99% related and our gender arrangements makes us only 1.8% different, so we may as well just say we are all family an live in peace with one another.
Comfort of the Lord, comforted by God.
If nothing existed but the Source and the Source - Created everything - Is the Creation from the Source? - If the Creation can behold intelligence - Then does the Source also have intelligence? - After all - The Source was far more than its Creation.

October 01, 2013, 02:27:33 PM
Reply #95

Constructman

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Nothing to read here
    • View Profile
This whole topic is under the assumption everyone believes God is real and is our creator, that has given a purpose for our existence.

So the only justifiable answer is to ask God.

Now if everyone can't seem to start a conversation with God, I guess we need or lack something to meet the requirements to do so before we can quest for knowledge.

Until then this topic will always be the opinions of our purpose. Which nothing said here should be considered true as to our purpose in life. There is no wrong answer if we assume this. Everyone will have a different idea of their purpose so that they can continue on living with meaning.

The problem with that is that people have different opinions of who/what god is. If you told people to go ask god why he/she created them, they would get different replies. They wouldn't even be asking the same god; a Hindu would be talking to Shiva or one of the other Deva, a Jew would be asking YHVH, and so on and so forth. Assuming every god that man has worshiped exists in some way, shape, or form and can communicate with man, they would respond differently. And even in the same religion people believe in different interpretations of the same teachings (wonder what the deal with sects/denominations is?). If we can't agree on which god is "The God", then it would be impossible to get a unified answer that everybody would agree on.

October 01, 2013, 04:14:19 PM
Reply #96

Shadowx089

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Very true, I totally agree with that under those circumstances.

The only exception would be the assumption that there is more than one God. That would cause the logic to fall apart unless of course God has a different purpose for each individual born. Which is another possibility.
Comfort of the Lord, comforted by God.
If nothing existed but the Source and the Source - Created everything - Is the Creation from the Source? - If the Creation can behold intelligence - Then does the Source also have intelligence? - After all - The Source was far more than its Creation.

October 17, 2013, 09:41:20 AM
Reply #97

Emerald Mushroom

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Your Mom.
    • View Profile
Ever play the Sims? Isn't it fun to lock them in their houses and burn then down?  Same reason.
Knowledge is power. Guard it well.