Author Topic: Gather around, everyone. Lets have ourselves a little chat.  (Read 9707 times)

December 03, 2011, 05:55:55 PM
Read 9707 times

Trowa

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Many of you probably don't know me, which is justified, considering I haven't made many worthwhile posts in years.  But, I am still here, I lurk, and oh yeah I'm secretly a staff member.  Not really, but yeah, I am. 

But I'm going to display some vital truth to a lot of you, right here, right now. 

The staff of Veritas is not controlling.  The staff of Veritas does not influence you.  The staff of Veritas isn't sending you down a dark path.  Mobius, kobok, TakeV, XIII, Vecna, Rawiri, Silver_Archer, etc do not sit around in a secret room talking about you guys in a grand conspiracy.  There is no round table with men in shadows and hooded cloaks directing the grand vision of the website.  The karma system is not a conspiracy.  There is, in fact, no conspiracy.  I'm going to repeat this a couple lines down to make sure even the skimmers read it.

There is no conspiracy.

Now, to the subject of "attacks."  I'm going to be incredibly frank with you all, do not take offense.  You are not important enough to be receiving "attacks" from any entity, person, energy, et cetera (adjust for your respective belief system) that actually could cause "damage" to you.  Anyone or thing that could do "damage" to you, is probably a.) smart enough to not do it with such abandon, b.) busy with other matters of more importance, or c.) both.  You are not being "attacked" by any members of Veritas or it's staff.  I, again, am going to repeat this a couple lines down.  Gotta make sure everyone sees it.

You are not being "attacked" by any members of Veritas or it's staff.

On a similar note, if you're going around attempting to "fling attacks" at random members of the website, you are a.) not that "powerful" to be of note, AND b.) not that smart.  You are Carrot Top attempting to knock out Bruce Lee.  You are an unarmed pigeon attempting to destroy a tank.  The tank might just ignore you, or the operator might pop out and just backhand you once and knock you away.  You are less than an annoyance.  Save yourself the trouble, and cut it out.

Now, for the veritas.  The veritas about Veritas.  The staff of Veritas are only on a mission of awareness, and are seeking veritas just like the rest of you.  We all have differing opinions on what that veritas is, but we're at peace with that.  We are open-minded.  And, we are not out to get you.

We are not out to get you.

So, before you have a spat or rage-quit (I'm somewhat of an expert on the latter), take a deep breath, and use that faculty that we all have:  logic. 

December 03, 2011, 06:02:46 PM
Reply #1

Rafnul!

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• he-who-posts-lots

• View Profile
If you find yourself incapable of changing your position when logic is applied, I encourage any and all of you to seek out psychiatric care.  Not even remotely in jest.  Seriously.

December 03, 2011, 08:57:17 PM
Reply #2

NathanE

• Posts By Osmosis

• BEEFCAKE BEEFCAKE

• View Profile
I just don't post at all unless I have something meaningful to post. Exception to this rule of thumb is the cafeteria.
Chance is a word void of sense; nothing can exist without a cause. ~Voltaire

Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.~Scott Adams

“Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets”

December 03, 2011, 11:46:50 PM
Reply #3

ArcaTuthus

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Grateful not yet Graceful
    • View Profile
This is why I love and will always be a member of the Veritas Society. Truly it is a worthwhile group to be involved in if you at all want to improve yourself in any way. Kudos to all.
And how!

December 04, 2011, 04:25:40 AM
Reply #4

Violet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Your friendly neighborhood Verigeek.
    • View Profile
I have a question.

Why do we always get these 'the OECs are doomed!', 'z0mg everyone is out to get me', and 'you\'re all control-freaks and I can\'t say the truth here!'-posts around Christmas?

December 04, 2011, 06:46:58 AM
Reply #5

Willi

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile

December 04, 2011, 06:54:18 AM
Reply #6

Silver_Archer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Prophet of Doom

• View Profile
I have a question.

Why do we always get these 'the OECs are doomed!', 'z0mg everyone is out to get me', and 'you\'re all control-freaks and I can\'t say the truth here!'-posts around Christmas?

Does it really spike around Christmas? I haven't checked yet and I am a little tired to do so right now. Did you just say that or did you actually observe that it does?
<Forg> Everything is adjustable when you have a saw.

December 04, 2011, 07:33:19 AM
Reply #7

Violet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I have a question.

Does it really spike around Christmas? I haven't checked yet and I am a little tired to do so right now. Did you just say that or did you actually observe that it does?

*chuckles* I just said that, yes, don't worry. It always seemed that way to me, but, since I haven't checked it myself either, I could be mistaken.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 07:37:40 AM by Robin »

December 04, 2011, 02:00:45 PM
Reply #8

Iatros

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I'm curious as to why you've so certainly claimed that the people you address have adequately developed logical faculties.
"And in this lies my honour and my reward, - / That whenever I come to the fountain to drink I find the living water itself thirsty; / And it drinks me while I drink it." - Almustafa

December 04, 2011, 02:10:29 PM
Reply #9

Violet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I'm curious as to why you've so certainly claimed that the people you address have adequately developed logical faculties.

*cough* I'm not Trowa, but, if I may.

The reason I think most people have adequately developed logical faculties, as you call it, is because the people being addressed are living their lives and not having immense difficulty in normal situations. In life, said people are quite able to see that if [P], then not [not P] (by the way, I apologize for not knowing the official symbols used when addressing problems in formal logic. I hope the meaning is clear from this post). Thus, when checking the air pressure in the tires of their bicycles, they know that if they measure the pressure and get value [P], the pressure cannot be [not P], assuming the measurement was correct. (Blah blah, it's an example, so let's leave out measurement error and all that, 'kay? But, for the hardcore philosophers among us: if we measure pressure [P], then at least we can be certain that our -measurement- of the pressure is not [not P].)

...And so on and so forth.

The problem is that while most everyone seems capable of logical reasoning, there are many different domains in life where people 'decide' to be irrational and to let feelings guide their beliefs. (Note: feelings are not irrelevant. When making a rational decision, a feeling can be a valid component of one's motivation.) These 'decisions' are made mostly when it comes to things people have believed for a very long time (for example due to upbringing), and/or the beliefs that have become - in a matter of speaking - part of themselves. To think rationally about those beliefs would require them to consider the possibility of their beliefs being false. Thus, there is no incentive for these people to be rational about them.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:14:00 PM by Robin »

December 04, 2011, 02:44:43 PM
Reply #10

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
Quote from: Robin
I apologize for not knowing the official symbols used when addressing problems in formal logic.
Propositional logic. There are several other systems of logic, such as predicate logic and modal logic.
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

December 04, 2011, 03:54:33 PM
Reply #11

Trowa

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Robin pretty much has it spot-on, though in more words than I would have used.  :)

December 04, 2011, 05:35:41 PM
Reply #12

Trillis

• Posts By Osmosis

• Has a lot of posts

• View Profile
Good to see you Trowa, and holy shit... Rafnul?

:cow:

December 15, 2011, 11:43:57 AM
Reply #13

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
All kinds of old farts in this thread! Also, I may/ may not have been the first one to say anything about a conspiracy. The ].[ Cult I discovered by myself, and conspiracy accusations may have spread like wildfire because of me. The only difference being, TakeV, XIII, Frozen, etc... were really out to get me. Seriously, they changed my profile pic to my little pony. Who does that.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

December 15, 2011, 02:04:13 PM
Reply #14

INFINITE LIGHT

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    JESUS IS LORD!
    • View Profile
logic lives a life of false assumptions and false prepositions leading to false realities and false perpetuation of those. that is not real logic.

Mine is not a better way Just another way
I am by no means a master just a student
what I value is not the only thing that is to be valued.
And my way is not the only way
JESUS IS LORD!