Author Topic: What is Karma  (Read 2094 times)

September 12, 2011, 07:07:37 AM
Read 2094 times

akuigla

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
How you describe karma?
What is it?  :confused:
Do we have power over it?
Does it go from parents to kids?
Is it good or bad?
So many questions  :headwall:
Answers?
Illegitimi non carborundum.

September 12, 2011, 08:13:04 AM
Reply #1

Wren

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Karma is a word of of Indian origin, whose semantic content is extremely variable. As a word it is almost certainly useless without clarification. Someone had to say it.  :P

September 12, 2011, 09:03:43 AM
Reply #2

Iatros

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Without the clarification that Wren mentioned, I'll do my best to explain what I know about the most commonly referred to concept.

Karma is a principle which balances. When an action is committed, it's like a stone dropping in water, and the tendency of the raised ripples to fall and the tendency of the lowered ripples to rise are spurred on by karma. All of reality seeks balance, and karma is the force which moves between cause and effect.

Physically, karma is just that: cause and effect. If I throw a stone at you, it will hit you, it will hurt, it will break bones. When creatures with emotional (astral) bodies are taken into account, then karma becomes more complicated. Let's say that my throwing a stone and breaking your bones traumatized you emotionally. Now, you have a karmic "lowered ripple" which will inevitably rise again through some kind of positivity which will make up for that trauma, and since that trauma is magnetized to me by my action being the cause, the energy needed to balance out your trauma will almost always be at my expense.

If you believe in reincarnation, then karma works across multiple lives, because while the physical body may die, the emotional, mental, and other bodies persist or are subsumed into the higher bodies with their damages sustained. Since the damages persist, and since they are magnetized by causality to something on Earth, karma becomes the force which spurs reincarnation.

Karma is not transferred from parents to kids, but since parents and children usually have a great deal of interaction, families are often linked karmically in various ways and certain human spirits are magnetized to certain lineages. Similarly, the spiritual or religious family that one has in one life may be magnetic enough to become the spiritual or religious faimly of the next, and the next.

While karma might push towards good things to make up for bad occurrences or bad things to make up for good occurrences (and this is why people say "good" or "bad" karma) that is only the direction in which karma is, at that moment, pushing. Karma is just a balancer, neither good nor bad. From the perspective of a mystic attempting to achieve liberation and cultivate spiritual power, karma is generally seen as undesirable simply because it acts as chains to cause and effect which prevent total freedom in exercising ones Will. Still, mystics who are able to burn off karma very effectively through certain spiritual practices often opt to take the karma of other people upon themselves willingly as a sort of spiritual healing.

Karma is released through two things, primarily: good living, and detachment. Good living helps to reduce the negative karma inflicted upon others, so that the mystic does not need to be karmically "forgiven." Detachment releases the karmic debts of others as well as the desires which form emotional attachments (chains) in the emotional and mental bodies of the mystic. Through good living, detachment, and spiritual practice, it is possible to incur little or no karma and to then release whatever karma is incurred intentionally. A body free of karma (emotional and mental damage / imbalance, essentially) is an energy body with no blockages, e.g. a body perfectly equipped to manipulate metaphysical forces. As much as reincarnation becomes unnecessary in a karma-less state, death, to a certain extent, is also not necessary unless the mystic wills it upon himself. This is a very high accomplishment, of course, and there appears to be a tendency to simply die and move on to higher things or heal others' karma and eventually die, reincarnate, and repeat rather than to live on doing who knows what forever.

To make good use of Wikipedia and quote Eliphas Levi speaking about magicians - or individuals who have balanced their karma and elemental tendencies:

"They are without fears and without desires, dominated by no falsehood, sharing no error, loving without illusion, suffering without impatience, reposing in the quietude of eternal thought..... a Magus cannot be ignorant, for magic implies superiority, mastership, majority, and majority signifies emancipation by knowledge. The Magus welcomes pleasure, accepts wealth, deserves honour, but is never the slave of one of them; he knows how to be poor, to abstain, and to suffer; he endures oblivion willingly because he is lord of his own happiness, and expects or fears nothing from the caprice of fortune. He can love without being beloved; he can create imperishable treasures, and exalt himself above the level of honours or the prizes of the lottery. He possesses that which he seeks, namely, profound peace. He regrets nothing which must end, but remembers with satisfaction that he has met with good in all. His hope is a certitude, for he knows that good is eternal and evil transitory. He enjoys solitude, but does not fly the society of man; he is a child with children, joyous with the young, staid with the old, patient with the foolish, happy with the wise. He smiles with all who smile, and mourns with all who weep; applauding strength, he is yet indulgent to weakness; offending no one, he has himself no need to pardon, for he never thinks himself offended; he pities those who misconceive him, and seeks an opportunity to serve them; by the force of kindness only does he avenge himself on the ungrateful..."

There's the run down of karma and the benefits of mastering it, from what I've learned over the years. It might not be 100% accurate, but it's the best that I can do.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:12:46 AM by Animus »
"And in this lies my honour and my reward, - / That whenever I come to the fountain to drink I find the living water itself thirsty; / And it drinks me while I drink it." - Almustafa

September 12, 2011, 09:38:35 AM
Reply #3

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
Karma is a system of liking and disliking.

We've implemented it here.
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

September 12, 2011, 01:27:21 PM
Reply #4

Iatros

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Karma is a system of liking and disliking.

We've implemented it here.

That too. :P
"And in this lies my honour and my reward, - / That whenever I come to the fountain to drink I find the living water itself thirsty; / And it drinks me while I drink it." - Almustafa

September 13, 2011, 02:59:48 AM
Reply #5

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
How you describe karma?
What is it?  :confused:

Karma is a simple law saying that good attracts good and evil attracts evil. My personal opinion is it is an artificial construct created to set some sort of punishment. My idea is supported by the fact that not every culture suffers from bad Karma.

Do we have power over it?

Not from the beginning, but you can obtain it but declining the effects of Karma on your life

Does it go from parents to kids?

No.

Is it good or bad?

Concept of good/bad cannot be applied on Karma, these are sides of the same coin.

September 13, 2011, 08:33:00 AM
Reply #6

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
Quote from: Awakened
Karma is a simple law saying that good attracts good and evil attracts evil.
If fiction, and magnetism, teaches anything, it's that good attracts evil and evil attracts good.

Concept of good/bad cannot be applied on Karma, these are sides of the same coin.
There must be clear-cut, objective definitions of good and bad with regard to all possible intentions and acts in order for karma to be a universal mechanic rather than just an illusion. They can only be two sides of the same coin in the same sense that magnetic north is the same as magnetic south such that they both attract magnetic objects. They still differ.

September 13, 2011, 08:55:34 AM
Reply #7

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
If fiction, and magnetism, teaches anything, it's that good attracts evil and evil attracts good.
That would mean that if you do good thing and you obtain good karma, something bad will happen to you, I wouldn't really mess physics into this topic

There must be clear-cut, objective definitions of good and bad with regard to all possible intentions and acts in order for karma to be a universal mechanic rather than just an illusion. They can only be two sides of the same coin in the same sense that magnetic north is the same as magnetic south such that they both attract magnetic objects. They still differ.
Good and bad are both only concepts, how do you want to make a clear-cut for something that differs between nations, cultures and even individuals? What is bad for you doesn't really need to be bad for me, right?
I myself perceive Karma more as a spiritual disease then an universal law

September 13, 2011, 12:43:34 PM
Reply #8

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
That would mean that if you do good thing and you obtain good karma, something bad will happen to you, I wouldn't really mess physics into this topic
Right, so you see how flawed the notion of karma is. ;)

Good and bad are both only concepts, how do you want to make a clear-cut for something that differs between nations, cultures and even individuals? What is bad for you doesn't really need to be bad for me, right?
Right, so you see how flawed the notion of karma is. ;)

I myself perceive Karma more as a spiritual disease then an universal law
If karma is not a belief in the metaphysical or, perhaps, the physical nature of the universe, then it is at best another word for morality and a needless convolution of a topic that is already rife with the poorly reasoned ideas of the layperson who thinks moral expertise doesn't exist. If karma isn't universal, if you don't believe that it is an actual thing that actually happens, then what is the point of any consideration toward it? It would be like (and this is a tenuous analogy I admit, but I'm not really in the mood for coming up with an air-tight one) a nomadic space civilisation in the void between galaxies with no technologically-instigated gravity discussing the soundness of the idea that celestial bodies could be pulled towards one another by an innate force common to all celestial bodies in the universe; with no empirical evidence of a phenomena that is observable, can you say it exists?

September 13, 2011, 04:33:27 PM
Reply #9

Iatros

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I disagree with the way you guys depicted the magnetism. It is the suffering of a faultless individual ("Bad") of one part, for instance, which must be balanced by serendipity ("Good").

Strictly speaking, you don't get "Good" karma for doing good things to other people so much as you avoid causally linking yourself to the suffering of another.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:55:21 PM by Animus »

September 13, 2011, 05:22:45 PM
Reply #10

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

October 03, 2011, 10:47:26 PM
Reply #11

Dancing_Crow

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Jai Guru Deva Om
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
I've heard Karma described as "co-dependent origination."

I'm not sure how much this helps deepen understanding of the concept.
"Allow the beauty and grace of what you love BE what you DO and KNOW."