Author Topic: "John of God" (Joćo de Deus)  (Read 2091 times)

December 08, 2010, 04:12:12 AM
Read 2091 times

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
I stumbled across this article about a faith healer in Brazil who goes by the name Joćo de Deus, or John of God.  The article is an interesting read, and apparently he is also covered elsewhere, although I have never heard of him before.  Has anyone else heard of him and/or formed an informed opinion?

I expect there must be a collection of people out there living in the middle of nowhere who develop functional levels of ability despite having had no education or access to the variety of metaphysical arts information we have at our fingertips.  And some small fraction of them must get noticed by the people around them.  I am curious whether he may be one of those people.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

December 08, 2010, 12:50:59 PM
Reply #1

Dancing_Crow

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Jai Guru Deva Om
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Spirit is everywhere and everywhen. I think that those of us who have a access to libraries of metaphysical information have an easier time developing these abilities but I don't think it means that those who don't have access can't or are less inclined to do so - those who don't have access to this information just approach Spirit differently than the rest of us would.

"There are many paths to the top of the mountain but there is only one summit."

Great article by the way! :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:28:23 PM by Dancing_Crow »
"Allow the beauty and grace of what you love BE what you DO and KNOW."

December 08, 2010, 01:52:45 PM
Reply #2

Willi

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
I live in Brazil, and there is a city in the middle of nowhere near me where used to live a man. My mother told me he predicted my birth.
From what my parents used to tell me, he was like a complete magician, from all the things he did and stuff.
About predicting my birth, my mom went there with my two brothers(they're like ten years older than me). He was giving a general read about my mother's life, and said she had three sons. She said 'No, I only have two.' He said: 'Well, then there's going to be another one.' Pretty cool stuff.
He used to heal people simply with a hug also. Someone would come in the room and he'd look at them and say right away: Oh, there's something out of place there. Hold on, I'll fix that. And then he'd heal people with just a hug.

I believe there are people with magical faculties everywhere. You just have to know how to look.

December 08, 2010, 09:06:24 PM
Reply #3

Wren

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I'm more interested in how he figured out the mesmeric bath healing method, since spirit mediumship is pretty popular in Brasil.

December 08, 2010, 09:08:45 PM
Reply #4

Dancing_Crow

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Jai Guru Deva Om
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
He himself said that he doesn't heal, "God" does.

I don't think he figured out anything, he just surrendered to Spirit.
"Allow the beauty and grace of what you love BE what you DO and KNOW."

December 08, 2010, 09:40:27 PM
Reply #5

Wren

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Bah, he still gets his qued patients to form the mesmeric chain, which was used in and of itself as a healing method.

December 09, 2010, 10:33:44 AM
Reply #6

Violet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Your friendly neighborhood Verigeek.
    • View Profile
Can't say I have heard of him before reading this thread. I would be interested in reading more about or meeting this particular person, though. I am sure it would be interesting.

December 28, 2010, 06:37:13 AM
Reply #7

glow

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
There have been  quite a few articles about him and also some of the other Mexican shaman, most are positive but I did read one which debunked it as trickery/ magician tricks using bags of blood and cotton wool for ectoplasm, it's all rather inconclusive unless you personally know someone who has been healed or have witnessed  firsthand, Sadly I can't help you there.  Interesting article, there were some film clips on the web also at some point.