Author Topic: Concentration – “It ain’t all it’s cracked…wait what was I saying?”  (Read 10758 times)

November 12, 2008, 11:09:27 AM
Read 10758 times

Rawiri

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Wandering Nomad

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
Concentration – “It ain’t all it’s cracked…wait what was I saying?”

One point that is often not made clear to people when they first stroll onto the occult boulevard full of mystical swindlers and neurotic magicians is that meditation is NOT concentration. This is a common misconception we, when we first hear about it, are apt to come to.

Concentration is the extended focus of the mind upon an object (such as a flickering tea-lite candle flame), an idea (such as Love), an action (such as shaking someone) etc to the exclusion of others. Meditation is the backlash – the riptide – if you will that occurs due to extended concentration, but is not concentration in and of itself. Meditation is much more contemplative than concentration and does not limit itself to one thought, or even to any thoughts. Concentration is from the mind to the point of focus. Meditation is from the point of focus to the mind.

Concentration can potentially come about in three manners, only two of which are any real interest. The first is through an aggressive grasp and directing of the mind through the will to some particular focus, essentially grasping the bull by the horns and straining to steer. The second is where the mind is pointed towards the focus gently when it goes astray. The third bares similarity to the second – and for most purposes can be considered the same – but is the natural tendency of the mind to some particular focus, due to a burning interest in it, or out of habit. This third one, while ‘not of any real interest’ (at least, in that is not reliable, and the occultist wants a mind that can be directed and concentrated on any object) does suggest that we shall have an easier time if our focus is of something interesting to us. It should also be mentioned that what is said above also applies in the opposite. What you concentrate on more, has the tendency to become more interesting.

The first method of achieving concentration has its uses. But even though we all love the manliness of it…and if you are female and do not like manliness then to hell with you – or so we are told by one religious institution after another - one use it does not have is in achieving meditation, as it is an entirely active method, and meditation requires – at least at some point – a passivity so that we may receive the ‘backlash.’ It also has a tendency to come very readily and leave just as fast...just like men you pick up at a nightclub who have had too much to drink.

This then brings us to the problem many have with straining when trying to “meditate.” Whereas deep concentration – and most definitely meditation – require a relaxed state of mind. People strain their eyes looking at an object, they tense their forehead trying to focus…as if tensing it would squeeze out all the unwanted thoughts. We even try and contort ourselves into positions that we find uncomfortable and are not ready for because we are told they “promote deep meditation.” All idiotic…and all lead to less concentration and more aggravation.

The periods when concentration wanes are not anything to be aggravated about. They are part of the cycle that MUST happen as part of the process before we can attain any real state of what might be called meditation. If anything, they should be welcomed. Though we should always, as soon as we realize it has happened, gently direct the thoughts back to the focus. Emphasis on gently. Like an old shepherd guiding with his staff…and not the one who whacks his sheep all the way home with it and then shoves it up their ass in regular Welsh and Kiwi style! Random thoughts about the day, worries, joys all crop up. Old forgotten memories crop up in the hundreds. Random emotions crop up, you’ll probably feel fucking pissed off sometimes during meditation for no reason you can point your stubby green sausages at and say: “I blame you!” But all this ‘cropping up’ that is making us say: “I can’t meditate, my mind won’t focus” is exactly what is going to allow us to meditate…if we do not despair and give up on ourselves.

Further, “clinging tenaciously” to the object of concentration is not helping either. It is not during the concentration on the glowing candle in a dark room, or on the sound of a mantra vibrating mentally that we get to catch glimpses of ourselves we have never seen before, and drink deep from our own cistern. No. It is when the façade of the candle disappears to us, and in the pin drop silences between the mantra that we get such a pleasure. Yet when such a time is reached, people will think “oh no, I am not concentrating on the flame” and will go back to it. Such people cut down a whole tree, then use only a twig of it for fueling their fire. Dwell in such a silence when it comes…there will be plenty of time for “concentrating” when thoughts return.

“So relax, take it slow, and let the good times roll.”

PS I am not writing primarily on the yogic ideas of Dhyana, before anyone gets their knickers in a twist.

PPS Yes. I have a neurotic, compulsive obsession with sexuality. How observant of you to notice. Have a cookie.

-Rawiri (The Beloved)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:51:40 PM by Rawiri »

November 12, 2008, 11:25:03 AM
Reply #1

Saer

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
Concentration is from the mind to the point of focus. Meditation is from the point of focus to the mind.

I like.
As you love your own body, so regard everyone as equal to your own body. When the Supreme Experience supervenes, everyone's service is revealed as one's own service. Call it a bird, an insect, an animal or a man, call it by any name you please, one serves one's own Self in every one of them. ~ Ma

November 12, 2008, 11:34:39 AM
Reply #2

Veyne

• Settling In

• View Profile
Brilliant, simple, and much needed, thank you Rawiri!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 01:29:27 PM by Veyne »
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."  ~"Godfellas" episode of Futurama

November 12, 2008, 12:15:49 PM
Reply #3

Tankdown

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Hows my logic?
    • View Profile
Sorry I don't see it or feel anything speical about this. I got nothing and the little quote Saer pointed out seems like the exact same thing since the term concentration is simply to focus not on how you do it.
To do, become -Myself
<---Little demon

November 12, 2008, 12:30:34 PM
Reply #4

Kichara

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Row, Row, Row Your Boat
    • View Profile
    • Check it Out.
PSS Yes. I have a neurotic, compulsive obsession with sexuality. How observant of you to notice. Have a cookie.

you beat me to it :P

Also, it seems your articles always come out at the same moment almost that I am realizing something personally. It helps me make some of my ideas more concrete. I liked it alot in other words.
Hey, whats up?

Please vote in my poll:
http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=12212.0

November 12, 2008, 05:32:30 PM
Reply #5

TheAleph

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    א
    • View Profile
Nice article, it'll be very useful for those starting meditation.

** eats cookie **
"Today, a young man on acid, realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, and we are the imagination of ourselves... now here's Tom with the weather." - Bill Hicks

November 12, 2008, 09:29:51 PM
Reply #6

Saer

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
Sorry I don't see it or feel anything speical about this. I got nothing and the little quote Saer pointed out seems like the exact same thing since the term concentration is simply to focus not on how you do it.

It helps not to be so literal when thinking about the difference between concentration and meditation. It's more about a feeling of oneness, really. As far as I am able to understand, when you concentrate, you are separate within your mind from the object. When you meditate, you gain a degree of union with the object of your previous concentration. It's nature becomes intuitive.
As you love your own body, so regard everyone as equal to your own body. When the Supreme Experience supervenes, everyone's service is revealed as one's own service. Call it a bird, an insect, an animal or a man, call it by any name you please, one serves one's own Self in every one of them. ~ Ma

November 13, 2008, 09:01:24 AM
Reply #7

Tankdown

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Hows my logic?
    • View Profile
I find that to be a oxymoron, if your surpose to be in union yet you share a quote that doesn't describe? The article tells of its own knowledge in it own way, to people as a whole it seem to lack oneness as you have proclaim. So from that I figure oneness is impossible if individuals exist, therefore proclaim to your own experience and drive from what you know.
To do, become -Myself
<---Little demon

November 13, 2008, 09:21:47 PM
Reply #8

taaraka

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
Thank you! I liked this article, it explains a few things that I never thought to put into words....also quite funny too. It was easy to "concentrate" on...  :)

November 15, 2008, 05:04:24 PM
Reply #9

Tsumaru

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Quote from: article
Concentration is from the mind to the point of focus. Meditation is from the point of focus to the mind.

I haven't actually read the article yet, but...
Concentration = M --> F
Meditation = F --> M
Where M is the mind, and F is the point of focus. They are clearly different in the quote. Whether you agree with the distinction is an entirely different story. I assume that our 'Beloved' Rawiri has backed it up and elaborated on the difference; so I imagine you should probably try reading through the article again.
don't believe everything you read... especially if it comes from me.

November 17, 2008, 09:58:07 AM
Reply #10

Tankdown

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Hows my logic?
    • View Profile
I don't disagree with the entire philosophy (although such things never made me happy to begin with) its the choice of words that bother me. Since those words would lead to many misunderstandings such as someone thinking someone else is doing something wrong simply because they use the word concentration. Which would then lead to a situation with neither of them understanding what or who.

Also this type of this doesn't seem speical to me, it just seems common to those who are still new to it. In my minds eyes I see it as a C at best for its average appearance.
To do, become -Myself
<---Little demon

December 23, 2008, 04:51:20 AM
Reply #11

Marcianna

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    Listen more: Learn more
    • View Profile
I really liked this article and I thank you for it.
Compliments of faulty Nueroreceptors And a serious lack of Hypocretin, I have a terrible time with Concentration.
Especially If I am trying to meditate.
Blah... or hold a conversation for that matter.
Its a constant battle I intend to win.

I will keep these things in mind. lol. Or try to...
Respect all journeys and you will clear the path for your own.

October 29, 2009, 12:02:21 PM
Reply #12

Sky Verati

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Gorgeous article, I just found it.  ^_^  Thank you, Rawiri.
"We have descended from the Infinite to the Finite." - Paramhansa Yogananda

May 31, 2010, 08:07:33 PM
Reply #13

a-long-path

• View Profile
 Very nice. that is just what i needed exactly when I needed it. And so is this site!
To dwell in the past, is to die in the present.